Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Here's my Steam sale VR adventures summary (too late to be useful to anyone but oh well):

Moss is loving precious and let's me pet a mousie.

Serious Sam Last Hope is a big pile of meh.

Serious Sam VR Trilogy is loving great in VR though.

PAYDAY 2 is also amazing in VR.

How far into Last Hope are you? The first world is by far the worst one. Gets better on harder difficulty levels too once you actually need to use some weapon selection strategy and powerups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I got through the third level. It's not bad but it's just a shooting gallery. I had more fun with the original trilogy since you have to dodge enemies and you get to explore the levels and poo poo.

the third level or third planet? the giant dude as the last boss of World 1 is pretty sweet. but the giant dragon boss in world 4 is probably the highlight. but yeah, it's basically a shooting gallery, just a really good one imo.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 2, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

I've done the star wars one. It's fun to try once but I wouldn't pay another 40 bucks to try it again, even if it was a totally different 'experience'.

High fiving your storm trooper buddies is the highlight for sure.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Pistol Whip is amazing and like Audica is another game thats seriously better on the Pimax, or I'm assuming Indexa as well.

I played for 50 mins just now and I'm drenched

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/505262109?t=00h28m04s - I can't wait to actually be good at this game because like 30 second in here I already feel like fuckin john wick

hard mode is no joke though (I'm only on normal in that point of the video), like all rhythm games I wish there was a level between medium and hard

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 7, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

welp, my legs are sore as gently caress this morning after an hour of Pistol Whip. If you do real squat movements this game is a workout.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Alright I'll be the idiot. I cannot get pistol whip to like lock in. I play beatsaber on expert+, and I am pretty good at it and even love it. But I for the life of me cannot get into the "beat" of pistol whip. Right now I'm just playing it as a john wick shooter but the rhythm aspect just isn't clicking with me. Am I the idiot reviewer of the last page?

It's basically a minigame of 'do I shoot this guy as soon as he appears, or do I need to wait a second to hit him on beat'

It's such a well designed idea because waiting for the beat often means that they can get a shot off which means you will then need to dodge the bullet to the beat, and that getting the score high has more of a challenge than just hitting dudes on time.

Also, there are very often repeated patterns, usually demarcated by the presence of vest dudes. is two dudes and a vest guy 'pop-poppop-pop' or is it 'poppop-pop-pop' or even 'pop-pop-poppop'

it's up to you to figure it out!

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 8, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/505546872?t=00h05m18s

Okay, I'm a hard mode convert. Still haven't actually *beaten* a level but I keep coming fuckin close. People who have trouble finding the beat, maybe try playing on hard? There's a greater number of dudes so its much more difficult but the beat can be more 'evident' sometimes to help you out on the lower difficulties.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 8, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Baron von der Loon posted:

Have to admit that I'm having trouble with Pistol Whip, although it feels that I'll be able to get through it with enough practice. I assume that the red dot next to the score indicates that I hit an enemy at the right time? Nonetheless, I'm really digging it so far, especially when I really feel I'm getting into the song and dropping enemies left and right.

Also, I started doing what I saw most youtube videos do and just use both hands for one controller, instead of shooting one-handed. That really made things easier for me.

I think the red dot appears over 100, but it's over 180 when the whole score turns red that you really want to watch out for. I posted some Hard gameplay just upthread if you want to see it done with one pistol (the right way) and not 2 like in that vid

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Oooooh, that's cool. I also need to play around with something the tooltip mentions - you can shoot rapidly after a well timed beat shot without penalty. Even when I shoot rapidly I try to do it on-beat which gets me killed sometimes for sure

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

wow, extremely strong Half Life vibes

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

beat a couple hard mode levels on pistol whip :cool:

not my best runs but I feel badass as all hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQobf_uvls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLL8p8Em11s

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I need the DMCV soundtrack in pistol whip asap

scruffy seconds

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

Mute game music.
Play Soundtrack
Shoot dudes to soundtrack
Profit?

It's really not at all going to be the same, the levels are pretty intricately crafted to specifically fit the music.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

No like. I'm telling people to do it.
DEVS first thing to me when we were talking stuff before launch was "Hey, just mute the game, slam in some music, itll work, it wont be perfect but you'll be shocked how much lines up".

They are right. If the music you listen to isn't on some weird timing. Folks, Everythings to 1/8th noes.

Again it aint perfect. But its something for now if you're REALLY bored of the OST already.

Tho, I've done 30+ runs of death and still pop that song on google music regularly. >_>

It's the equivalent of watching wizard of oz listening to dark side of the moon, you've got to trick yourself into thinking it works. The pacing of the levels are specifically suited to the songs, the songs don't keep the same intensity the whole way through and neither do the levels. Not to mention the visual pulses of the level that are also timed up to the song. And for me anyway, most of the fun is finding the most efficient way to shoot dudes on-beat as soon as they appear, and those appearances are, again, specifically matched to the song that's playing.

edit: the game even syncs up the 'whirr' of the bullets going past your head to the song. this is stuff that just won't work just playing a random song along with it

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 8, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

I keep getting B on Hard in Pistol Whip and it's killing me. At least tell me there's no S rank or whatever beyond A.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

S Exists.

Proper_D (Guy probably sitting #1 again on everything unless logans back) is scoring S on Deadeye atm.

Deadeye gives you a percentage points bonus doesn't it? Maybe I need to switch to Deadeye.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

I tried a custom song. It took a while to find a song that worked terribly well, but when it's good it's good. unfortunately that's not nearly for the entire runtime. There's a few parts that are great and a lot of parts that your brain needs to kind of just gloss over for it to work.

That said it's worth a shot, worst comes to worst it's just a fun way to dance.

there needs to be some kind of procedural generation version of this game asap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMW-WWbl1WY

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 9, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

for extra pain try pistol whip while trying to keep your feet planted. just sway and squat to dodge. it took me 3 days to recover

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Calling it flagship is significant, just pointing out that nobody should be expecting Half-life 3 here. Just because this is half-life universe doesn't mean anything, and calling it "Alyx" also seems very significant to show it isn't a mainline game. This definitely, definitely isn't HL3.

There are portal games that are short, ergo there could be a half-life VR game that's just a tech demo. Flagship does imply more, but even being a flagship game for VR would still make it very short on content compared to normal videogames.

the portal vr games are not made by valve, unless you mean The Lab

I'm excited for Valve's VR game but as a half life fan it's pretty silly they're releasing a new game in that universe when they still have a cliffhanger to resolve. maybe this game will address it somehow.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

El Grillo posted:

Could be set before HL2, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, either. Always seemed like they couldn't figure out what came next (despite that ex-Valve writer posting his version of the story resolution ages ago).

I'd put money on it being pre-gordon's return

I am super curious how locomotion will be handled

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

something like that happened to my buddy and let me just say that if sonic the hedgehog appears with red eyes take off the headset and run

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

alright FINE

I'm buying H3 today. 3 years later you guys finally broke me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

you should just be able to hit dudes with the melee weapons. but really, just like how in Skyrim VR you kinda need to be an archer, in Fallout you kinda need to just roll with a pistol VATS build. It's really not that bad. better than flatscreen anyhow, once you get going in the world it really is cool to be able to be there. Corvega is a blast in VR.

in other news I don't know how it took me this long to realize the giant snake level of Rez area X is a giant ripoff of the last bit of M83's Midnight City.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

the main reason to use vats in vr is because it's cool. you basically get to be The Flash

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

What are the recommended games to get over the motion sickness/be able to use locomotion systems? Even in the ISS experience the 'grab a wall and propel yourself' movement system is a bit uncomfortable, I think because the acceleration involved, if I use the normal EVA jet propulsion is better.

Serious Sam first encounter is the most aggressive full locomotion game out there. play it for a minute a day until you get used to it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

it looks like it has proprietary controllers?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

homeless snail posted:

I still think Soundboxing is as good as Beat Saber, or maybe a close second. All three of them work best with different kinds of music though, imo

Agree, and that's considering the fact that Soundboxing is very rough around the edges compared to Beat Saber.

I still very much think that Soundboxing is inherently the best exercise game in VR. For lots of reasons, but the proliferation of 15 plus minute long beatmaps is a very big one.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress yeah dude

Y'all are all going on about playing Hard Deadeye and I'm over here playing Normal high as a kite and dancing to the beat

hard, yay. dead eye, boo.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

That is beyond dumb they won't allow Climbey on Quest. Climbey outside would be amazing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

can I just say "actually what you are arguing about is my friends fault and you're an rear end in a top hat for criticizing facebook" is my favourite thread swerve in a long time.

a lone bright spot in a sea of absolutely terrible posts. log off everyone please.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

I liked the death tunnels, they were spooky and just confusing enough that I got turned around a couple times without ever totally losing my bearings. As with all things VR though atmosphere can matter. I was playing in just underwear with air conditioning on full blast and it just felt so cold and alien and spooky. Loved that entire game.

For what it's worth it's worth persevering in my opinion, you're close to the end and the finale is fantastic.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

I literally cannot figure out what it wants me to do next.

There's a tunnel with sort of a pipe running through the center, explodey bullshit everywhere, and then as far as I can tell the "exit" is a tiny little hole it's impossible to fit through.

It's shortly after The computer sent me to find the survivors.

Edit: Watched a video and I definitely have to go through this tiny rear end death hole, gently caress. I'm just gonna watch the end on youtube, there's like an hour of videos after this point and its not worth it to go through another hour of this.

The death tunnel stuff is relatively brief, there's only one area that's not just a straight line. The rest is exploring the non-overgrown (or at least less overgrown) portions of the ship.

The ending is the kind of thing that will be pretty ineffective to watch but was very cool to experience. But :shrug: if you really hate it don't continue.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

is it worth waiting to get the index controllers next month sometime or should I just play Boneworks now

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

wands. I'll wait then, thanks.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

I don't mind the grips, in fact for things like Superhot I like the option where you need to keep the grips held at all times. But it seems like there's enough going on with the index functionality that I may as well wait until Jan then I've got a fun showcase for my new toys.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Thoom posted:

The only thing Superhot VR has outside of the campaign is "the campaign again, with restrictions" and endless mode.

I loved the campaign, but did not find myself compelled to play those other offerings.

IMO endless mode is the true Superhot. I wish desperately there were more levels. I have played through the campaign once but have probably 10 hours in endless.

I`ve got some decent throws here, I don`t use the shuffleboard technique, I prefer more of like a dart throw motion. but yeah the basic principle is it needs to be a straight line push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqQUz0xAAQ#t=190s

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 13, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

I don't mean to be rude but I think you might just be bad at the game based on your posts in this thread. I think every song in the game has a 4/4 beat

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Chronos is basically Dark Souls x Zelda, simplified from those games but the essence is there. great game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

Soundboxing is only 9.20 canadian so it's probably 7.99 USD - Really good pickup if you're looking for another music/exercise game. Some beatmaps are great, others not so great, but for my money it's the best workout in VR. BoxVR/Thrill of the Fight is close but neither come close to the range of movement you need to do along with strong punching in SB.

I've uh, gotten my money's worth

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

you really don't think the NSA has access to facebook's marketing data, google's adsense data, etc etc? that seems very unlikely to me. It's the new frontier of information and they've been tapped into every previous one so far.