Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ooh that's a good one.

Is it generally advised to pick stuff like that up on STEAM for the mod support vs the Oculus store??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thanks goons. Does it make a difference on a Rift S?

I'm going through the demos now and Spiderman FFH was, uh, something fun to get started on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe I don’t understand your issue fully.
They're upset because the company apparently took a pro-active step to disable his headset on an EoL OS.

Previously the headset had worked fine.

This isn't a case of Why Doesn't XP support my Ultrawide 12k monitor. It's a forced obsolescence thing.

And yes, I think we're all savvy enough to understand "don't run your stuff on an OS that isn't getting regular updates". It still sucks from a consumer point of view

Internet Explorer posted:

And find another product or adjust your work flow accordingly, because what you've described is not sustainable.
Christ you're a dick. What if that's beyond their control?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 18, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

forest spirit posted:

The point is a kill switch was made for... no reason? And it's keeping one of our homies from playing Gorilla Tag
Exactly, thanks.
Sonos was raked over the coals for their legacy bricking but this is ok somehow?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Warbird posted:

That’s super cool. I’m interested to see more exercise focused HMDs. I wonder how much it weighs.
Lots of Peloton users suddenly felt their wallets ache

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
so I've been thinking of buying those $10 zenni lenses for my Rift S. I 3d printed a *thing* for the lenses themselves. would that go over the Rift S' current lenses? I can't Imagine I need to pop them out, right????

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

this is crucial, mark on the lenses where the bridge of the glasses is before you take them out of the frame. I hosed that up and had to order another pair. Also the anti glare coating is worth it.
Thanks!
And yikes, I never thought of either of those. That would have sucked.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dbz-style power beams :ssj:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Morter posted:

I've just played about an hour of SUPERHOT-VR

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!
Yeah, a few years ago my buddy had a room-scale Oculus setup and he threw that on to test for the parry he was having.

People thought I had gone home I spent so much time on it. It's amazing fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is there anything to be done with shimmering on the Rift S?

Someone get some oled screens on these here VR doohickeys!

E: running an RTX 3070 on it with FSAA at like 8 and pretty much everything else I can turn on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol a lot of people forget Cambridge Analytica and how targeted ads hosed with idiot voters.

"It's just HDDs!!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dude's here building FarmTown VR talking to us plebes we should be so lucky for this wisdom.

Anyway, I think trying to separate the fact that FB is behind the push is a mistake because of their well-known aversion to anything resembling ethics.

All this ad talk made me think about FFXV's best quest, the search for Cup Noodle toppings.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 20, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Turin Turambar posted:

I guess it isn't ads of Facebook doesn't provide them...
I mean, do you even doubt this was about metrics acquisition more than ads?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Woooo, playing Blade & Sorcery sitting down after a nightcap wasn't such a great idea.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vakal posted:

Bought Megaton Rainfall for like $5 on the steam sale.

No clue what it will be like, but the gameplay videos look fun.
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I had it on my radar and it seems like the perfect gently caress Around thing I needed for my headset.

Weirdly, the movement didn't give me motion sickness like Blade and Sorcery did.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Megaton Rainfall has broken-rear end key bindings on the Rift S controller. Guess I'll have to switch to VR Controls

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EbolaIvory posted:

I hope all you superhot players are throwing yourself weapons and poo poo into the next scenes.

:aaaaa:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of my relatives tried my Rift S and they were thinking about trying the Quest 2. Is it fully wireless, because their current computer probably runs Minecraft and not much else.

Thinking of just hopping on Ebay to find a $175 used unit. That's realistic right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sweet, thanks for the advice all. Looks like I'll wait a few months and see if the 64s get clearanced as an early Xmas present.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can finally live out my Kiki's Delivery dreams!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DelphiAegis posted:

For arguments sake, how is violating Facebook ToS and losing all your games fundamentally different than, say, violating Xbox's ToS and getting banned and losing your achievements/dlc/etc?
I get banned from Hotmail for some reason, I can still use my Xbox offline with the game discs I own, for one. Ditto if my SSO Enterprise Outlook account gets hacked and locked by IT.

This is just such a weird overreach that it feels like the idea of having an "Oculus" account and a "Facebook" account is bunk and it's all the same poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Which one? The Homecoming one or the Far From Home one that's swingy?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are people really using their VR headsets to watch 2D video content cinema style?
One of the apps just throws a screen up in black space and it was extremely 'alone in the theatre' vibe. Sucks about the relative video quality though.

If I could get an 8k OLED screen for each eye then :grin:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've been using my Rift S for more video viewing than games recently. Unfortunately a few things make it less than ideal (not being able to get a rich black, jaggies swimming to and fro).

I know I'm not going to get an LG OLED TV in terms of quality but is there something that handles video better??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Enos Cabell posted:

Typical MMO launch but in VR is a special layer of hell.
You just made me consider a hack that causes VR players to Rubbermaid and the nausea that would entail.

KakerMix posted:

Got my Varjo Aero today and first impressions:
Man, that sounds just like what I'm looking for to make VR video watching enjoyable but drat that price tag :eyepop:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 28, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ended up marathoning Lone Echo last night and it was a drat pretty game and a decent experience. No way I'd try it with full yaw and rotation though.

It was definitely slow, put the pacing helped the exploratory vibe.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nowher posted:

So I decided to finally give Lone Echo a try. Everything in space is really great but the alien ship is tedious as hell... feels like they're padding the game out here.
The sections with Instakill tumors was kind of bullshit because you didn't especially need to be super careful with navigation until then.

It also co fines you to a space where you were previously kind of jumping around and exploring.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

How was this how people did wars for like a thousand years.
Iirc Archers (especially Long Bowmen) were pretty resource intensive compared to a regular soldier. They also had hosed up musculature/skeletons due to how much they overtrained their arm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Butt Discussin posted:

The next thing I would really like out of VR is good haptic gloves as controllers. We're still probably 5-10 years away from that, though, if not longer.

You should try building that $60 pair the dude on YT rigged up. They're not pretty but would make.a fun project

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of the free games in the Oculus store (Wild West shooter) does a thing where some weapons need two hands and it's kind of goofy but works.

I think the Shotgun in that weird free zombie shooter works similarly, because it's pump-action.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a 4 year old work laptop that runs my Oculus Rift S as well as my desktop.

I brought the Rist in for a work party and was surprised to see it running fine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If your headset is compatible with the $10 Zenni lenses, you can 3D Print (or order) lens inserts for like $30.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Eyes Have It posted:

$10 is only the frame. Lenses cost extra and depend on options & prescription.

These are literally $10 if you don't get any AR/Fog coating and have a basic prescription, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If we're lucky they_ll design a Small Medium Large generic shirt (not actually anything like the measurements of the IRL shirt) then do a texture scan of their in-store Nirvana/Anime/Nerd shirt and layer that in the generic shirt.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well that's terrifying.

Not being able to trust my own senses and perceptions might give me an anxiety attack.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dropping my wrist batteries to unveil my true power and immediately going to 10% reserve power instead

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Am I crazy or are my Rift S and Quest 2 apps loving gated from each other like wtf I have to pay for Superhot and Beat saber again if I want them on my Quest?!?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A dude tried one of those tethered solutions with the walkpad and the biggest drawback was the time it took to physically turn/etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I had a lot of fun with Pistol Whip and Superhot VR.

Gorilla Tag is free and good.

poo poo, I should drop my referral code too.
And appare tly you can refer friends to apps and get like $5 off or whatever too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was a Billie Eilish 180 concert. I like how you "entered" the arena but looking back it was like withdrawing into the meta framework. You could even reposition yourself along a few slightly different vantages.

Video quality was rear end though. That really needs to be improved.