Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The more realistic you try to go it gets exponentially harder both technically and artistically to pay off that promise. Like as soon as you step onto that path, the target moves and each step you take, the further and further away the target gets.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does stuff just come to the Quest with like 0 announcement or something

Like I looked up what's available and thought oh, lots of games not on it yet. Then stuff just... comes out

From what I understand, Oculus is super spotty with communication and especially promotion. Basically, if you're not Beat Saber then don't count on anything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

jubjub64 posted:

Facebook AI research to possibly/eventually give Quest "67% MORE GPU POWER".
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-ai-quest-superres/

Please more gpu. And kill the Go while you're at it, Facebook. Make my life easier..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oculus as a brand is going away anyway. Facebook cares only insofar as they can collect and sell data and control that ecosystem front to back.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Horizons is Facebook's attempt at muscling in on Rec Room, except Rec Room has kinda moved on to mobile.

Facebook is happy to try to squish apps that it perceives to be outside the lane of pure, self-contained games by building their own version of the functionality, even if it sucks.

Facebook has no real interest in first party software beyond what bare minimum they can do to funnel people back into their ecosystem and under the umbrella of their data collection.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

I guess my comparison to 90s era Microsoft in the OP was more apt than I thought.

Yes and no. Even 90s era Windows was by far a more open and fair platform than modern day Oculus where not only can you not just ship some software on the platform, but in order to even be considered for release on the store you have to kiss rings and win the lottery.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol at anyone who thinks Facebook is doing anything at all in good faith.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You can build your strawmen all you want, but it is not at all a hot take to say that the Oculus store is a restrictive walled garden and attempts by an evil company to pacify their customer base with another garden with a slightly lower wall and unclear intentions is also bad, no matter the immediate gratification it offers. It's still not healthy for the platform or more importantly for VR as an industry. It's still all under Facebook's complete control.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

forest spirit posted:

Bachelor parties. A dancer dragged my bachelor friend on stage, took out a pair of scissors slightly smaller than hedgerow clippers, wedgie'd my friend and then clipped his underwear. She proceeded to pull out his boxers from outside his pants. She did a dance with his boxers, and when finished launched them back at our table.

it was more exciting than going to the bar one over where there was more than likely a guy playing his 900th cover of "take it easy" by them eagle boys

This sounds like possibly one of the last things I would ever want to find myself experiencing, but to each their own.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ishikabibble posted:

It's absolutely amazing how seemingly no company can actually understand what people want out of an avatar. They go so hard trying to make them generic/diverse/universal they just wind up looking off and creepy.

What do people want out of a VR avatar?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Desdinova posted:

My bad, I was trying the Steam Youtube VR app which doesn't do VR vids, the Quest Oculus browser worked as I was expecting VR videos to look.

Edit:

This was really well made, and ran smooth as silk on the Quest 2 compared to through BigScreen like the noob I was.

For whatever it's worth, an Oculus update recently threw a wrench into a few apps, including Bigscreen:

https://mobile.twitter.com/beatlejuiceMG/status/1380302341245562880

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Remember that if you need glasses outside of VR, you'll need glasses in VR too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tip posted:

Not true! Unlike reality VR headsets have a fixed focal plane, so you only need to be able to focus at that specific distance to have perfect vision in VR.

I believe the focal distance of the Quest 2 is 2 meters, so if you see things well at that distance you're golden.

Fair enough. I'm near sighted but I still need the glasses to see far things correctly. I must be inside that distance.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tip posted:

New neat trick to pull with your Quest (requires developer mode):
Open up your guardian settings and then walk to the edge of your playspace and poke your head out until it starts fading passthrough in, then turn off your guardian.

The halfway see through passthrough will remain, you can now load up apps and games with reality showing through.

From what I've seen the way it adds the two layers together results in whatever is brighter showing up. So if you have a dark surface in reality you'll able to see VR clearly through it, and anything dark in the VR app will show reality through clearly.

Apparently very cool with tilt brush, you can just draw all over reality.

I want to try hanging a black sheet over my projector screen and aligning it with the screen in BigScreen's void theatre and then use the multiplayer to bring my friends in. I mean, it probably won't work that well, but I'm in it for the novelty of an AR movie party where it looks like my friends are in my house but in lovely 3d avatar form.

If you do that, post screenshots, lol. Sounds wild.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introdu...est-2-and-more/

Details on Air Link.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Warbird posted:

The old adage of "good X copy, great X steal" is an adage for a reason.

It's a little different when the one doing the copying and stealing is an anti-competition monopoly that is complicit in genocide and the general breakdown of western society, though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That anime girl is Unity-chan, lol. She's a free asset on the Unity asset store.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I think it's pretty funny and ironic how much hate gets Zuck. from VR enthusiasts, when it seems Zuck is one of the few VR believers in the correct position of power and money to get things done.

Zuck doesn't "believe in VR" the way people in this thread do. He believes that it's a new angle that he can bet on for more data collection to control the flow of information and advertising. Having scanning cameras in millions of physical homes and later AR glasses on every face is the goal, not some kind of "bringing entertainment and new experiences to the every man!" Disneyland fantasy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you think it's just about ads, then you haven't been following American politics for the last 5 years, but I get it, this is the VR thread and all.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

VR Chat also has the advantage that some people spend as much time designing, modeling, texturing, custom rigging their VR Chat avatars as big companies have to design an entire customization system.

It's more that customizable humanoid avatars are a bare minimum benchmark feature for social VR apps. That said, I'm not a big fan of th Oculus avatars either. I think fully 3D faces is the wrong way to go at the moment.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Happy that the devs get paid but everything that increases Facebook's control and influence on the industry in general is a bad thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No engines except Source use brushes for geometry anymore.

If you're working in Unity, Bakery is worth looking into and investing in. Unity's default light baking is pretty abysmal.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rectus posted:

Source 2 has done away with brushes completely too, it's all polygon based now.

Shows how often I check in with Source, lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/htc-vive-focus-3-and-pro-2-make-vr-look-even-more-real-with-5k-resolution

Here are the 2 headsets.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Holy poo poo who created that website?? I thought those "hold on an image until you scroll down far enough and flip to the next" setup pages were the worst, but this page layout is loving satan.

Yeah, it's very very bad, but they had the info before the presentation did, lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Scale in VR is fascinating and harder than one expects to get feeling ok.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The main issue with building right now is there are no video cards.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That blockchain game's website brought my PC to a loving crawl, that was crazy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd just rather not have VR at all than give money to Facebook, a company that is at best merely complicit with genocide.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lemming posted:

The anger and frustration is purely because the answer is very clearly and unambiguously the Quest 2, which is loving stupid because why is the boomer social network that does genocide winning VR??? AAaagh!!!

Haha, this is extremely accurate.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've had my Vive on extension cables before (not quite that long, but still) and it worked fine, yeah.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No one is going to bother competing with Facebook head on except maybe Valve (so no one, basically). Any challengers from here on out will be targeting niche markets or use cases in order to try to get a foothold in the market. Unfortunately, Facebook is just going to continue to eat talent for a long while and if one wants to avoid them, it will mean choosing to sit out from things they are producing, which sucks but isn't the end of the world, frankly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lemming posted:

Buying dev studios just requires money, it doesn't require hardware and research and stuff, which is way harder to compete with them on. I don't get why everyone else seems to be surrendering VR software to Facebook, even though I understand better why they're surrendering VR hardware to them

Yeah, that's a good point. There's not a ton of investment in VR these days. I think there's a lot of leftover reluctance from the first couple years of VR when they really tried to push it HARD while it was still very young, among other reasons.

Facebook has a lot of incentive to acquire VR-only devs where other publishers don't, really. At least not any more incentive than acquiring flatscreen devs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I agree, yeah. I think there's a bunch of factors that make VR as a tech and as an industry still seem like a novelty (and to be fair, there's plenty of pure short-term novelty involved). Who knows where VR would be if Facebook hadn't decided to plant a flag there, but in any case it's not going anywhere and it has obvious and long-lasting uses.

Then again, I work in VR, so I'm not the most unbiased opinion. I wish other big parties were here. I would like to hear some other heavy-hitter's vision for the sector other than Facebook.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A reminder that Facebook is in the process of buying any developer that makes a top 10 VR game so they are all making 1st party games now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I remember figuring out how to replace the ads in Battlefield 2142 and I made a bunch of forum meme images for it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"What are you gonna do? Buy a Vive?" :smug:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are a LOT of headsets in production at the moment, but no one has a full stack product (hardware and software and controllers), and everyone is on their back foot. Hard to compete with a money faucet monopoly even when you're well-positioned. Time will tell, I guess.

Edit: Valve is a club, not a company. They do whatever they find interesting in any given day and get bored very easily. That's basically it.

mutata fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I dunno why, but I really get the feeling that Facebook will just unceremoniously dump their VR project when it proves to be a lot less lucrative than they thought. If they're already resorting to in-game ads and buying up all the talent I have a feeling that'll be sooner rather than later. I mean they have infinite money to burn but the shareholders want results, results that I doubt they're getting yet.

They may be "dominating the market" but right now that market is really small. They're pulling a Nintendo Wii with rock bottom hardware prices but not moving anywhere near Wii numbers. And if selling customer data was that profitable would they need in-game ads?

And yeah I'm talking out of my rear end.

Every Quest release has grown the market by huge numbers (as opposed to just capturing larger shares of a stagnate market). I think their obvious eventual goal is AR, but as long as people are buying VR, they're not going to back down.

Facebook doesn't "resort" to ads, it is core to their business. Data tracking and advertising is the whole point and the 2 go hand in hand. One without the other is pointless..