Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
So how does Quest and Facebook bans work in Europe? I can't imagine how they could get away with it with EU consumer protection. If my account got banned I'd probably just do a RMA in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
The strap discussion reminded of when I bought a bowler hat. They used an old device to measure the shape of my head to fit the hat for it, and it still fits far from perfectly. I had never thought that my head would have a weird shape until I looked at the paper showing the measurement.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Why not use spoiler tags like everywhere else? Lot of people probably just got headsets, myself included.

The spoiler tags are way overused on the forums, I read them by reflex before even considering if the context of the rest of the post might indicate a real spoiler. I at least peeked on the spoilers on this discussion just to make sure I wasn't missing on anything relevant.

We need separate "advent calendar" tags. "Open here to read the rest of the story!".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Literally every person ITT has gone through the same thing.

"11 table tennis" is just such an awkward name

"eLEVEN Table Tennis". It even looks like something marketing droids might do.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Is there any site gathering experiences with access points and Virtual Desktop. I'm considering going the dedicated access point route and would rather stick to cheaper AC models, which by my understanding should be enough with dedicated. I remembering seeing some posts where a router which by the specs should have worked one just didn't cut it for mysterious reasons.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

tried some bed VR gaming, forgot that just because a game supports seated mode doesn't mean they aren't going to expect you to reach below waist level :doh:

Just a moment ago I tried Netflix on the Quest, and when I took a nice position on my couch I ended up behind the virtual couch and couldn't see the screen. Haven't yet figured out how to reset my position.

Also got Elite working through Virtual Desktop, except I couldn't get pass the menu. Quest controllers, mouse, keyboard, joystick, nothing does anything at the menu. Delightfully janky experience trying to troubleshoot with the pot on the head. "Do I have wrong type of controllers? Should I emulate different controllers? Where do I change the controller type?"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

To continue the headphone discussion, what is everyone's experience with bluetooth audio? I got the Quest 2 working with the cheap clone BT receiver for my Shures, but when I try it with Sony WF1000XM3 or the Denon AV receiver the Q2 doesn't seem to see those at all. But it does pick up my Xiaomi activity band and Samsung TVs from my neighbours. I guess there are some incompatibilities which will hopefully be fixed in future versions.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Booyah- posted:

are there any apps that just give you cool scenes to walk around and explore? Google Earth VR is super impressive of course but more sci-fi or fantasy themed would be cool. I'm assuming people have put cool stuff into vr chat but I don't know how to find it

Couple Steam freebies you could try are The Dawn of Art and Dreams of Dali. Wait for the elephants to show up.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

For Quest 2 virtual desktop wireless, it is possible to use 2.4 GHz wifi for the connection to the internet router?
Normal setup is:

Because getting a wire from the router to my PC isn't possible.
Every leg has enough bandwidth (my internet is slow), but I don't know if it's possible to configure things like this. I believe the bottom one would work with Win 10 as a network bridge and the router in AP mode, but network bridge mode seems picky about how it's set up.

I can think of three ways how you could arrange this. The neatest solution would be if you can configure the 5GHz router to act as a client in the 2.4GHz Wifi and then share the internet connection to your PC over wire and to Quest 2 over 5GHz. But I'm not hopeful how many consumer Wifi routers would capable of this. If it were running something like OpenWRT maybe there could be a chance.

The second solution would be to get a 2.4GHz Wifi NIC for the PC and use Internet Connection Sharing to provide connection for the dedicated router and Q2. I have done this many times, usually with laptops. But recent versions of Win 10 have broken this functionality, when you plug in cable it will disable Wifi because obviously cable is better than Wifi, even if the cable doesn't have internet access. Last time I tried this I used all kinds of tricks but just couldn't make it work.

The most sure way to do this is to buy a dedicated device to work as Wifi ethernet bridge. It will connect to the 2.4GHz Wifi and then share this connection for the PC and 5GHz router over cable. But this is a bit of a niche use case, so it's a bit difficult to find a device that is designed to work like this and that I would trust to work correctly. ASUS RP-N12 looks like the most promising option.

Nalin posted:

Yes, you should be able to configure the "or ideally" setup. It might be best to ask in an SHSC networking thread or something, but generally you would configure the 5 GHz router to be on a different IP address range and have your computer be on two networks at once (one WiFi and the other ethernet). Your computer will know which interface to route its data to.

My only concern is if typical consumer router firmware would be able to be manually configured like that (they typically use DHCP to get their WAN-side configuration from your ISP). I've used OpenWRT flashed gear forever so I'm just not quite sure what stock firmware would allow.

I think a slightly better way is to configure the router dedicated for Q2 to work only as an access point. I got ASUS RT-AC66U for this use and I disabled the DHCP server in it. I plugged the ethernet cable from my internet router to one of the LAN ports and connected my desktop to another. My desktop and Q2 receive their IP settings from my internet router and they are all on the same network without extra NAT.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

But with that much hardware I could quite easily understand the price. If the stand alone is a grand that's almost surprisingly cheap. If you are heavily into games that suit this and you have the space I could easily see this being worth it. Even more so if you lack the space. I mean I bought a Quest 2 on january since it was so cheap, and I've already racked up 700€ in accessories.

More importantly, we need to switch all CS:GO tournaments into this.

A related issue, rifle stocks for VR controllers. It's easy to understand why these are nice and the biggest issue seems to be the sidearm, you need some kind of quick detach so you can turn one of the controllers into a pistol. But I've been thinking, the stock doesn't really need two controllers, just the forward grip. If the controller is within a certain distance and pointed to specific direction we can assume that you are shouldering the stock. Tilt the headset certain way and you are now looking through the sights and we can use the position of one controller for aiming. The other controller can be "holstered" as a dedicated pistol/manipulation tool. Of course it would be nice if the stock had just a bit of smarts to provide tricker and mag drop button at least, it would feel better than a lever to actuate the trigger on the forward grip controller.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Desdinova posted:

My Rift S worked nearly perfect, whereas my Quest 2 via Link keeps disconnecting every so often. The Rift S is a solid choice.

I use my Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop because I just couldn't get cable to work as reliably. I'm sitting on my desk with a cable connected to the power adapter and I still use VD. Part of the problem may be my old motherboard with a separate controller for USB3 and the unofficial cable, but a 80€ router was an easier solution for the problem.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Though if you’re using a 2.4 ghz router, that’s old enough it may not be able to work with the new router as an access point? That’s really old.

Doesn't matter. When you configure device as a traditional AP it should work with pretty much anything that provides internet connection over ethernet.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I think Richie's Plank Experience also had wrist thrusters and quite a lot more space to fly around.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

GTO posted:

Any recommended cheap but good 5m usb a to c cable for the quest 2? Is there a spec or data rate to aim for?

Have you considered going wireless?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I think that 195 feet is pretty meaningless number. Wifi seldom has that long range, but just setup a Wifi access point in the room where you want to VR and run an ethernet cable to your PC or router. The ping latency between my home and work is about 2 milliseconds, so I assume I could just use my Quest 2 in the Office with Virtual Desktop.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Seems like something like gorilla tag would also be highly amenable.

I don't think it would work with something like Gorilla Tag, where your hands are out of the view of the headset cameras large part of the time.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Node posted:

What else can I try? I haven't been this immensely frustrated with computer hardware in a really long time.

How good is your Wifi? If possible I would try to go with AirLink. I too had big problems getting Link to work with a 3rd party cable and even when it was working it wasn't reliable. Part of the problem may be that USB 3 on my old computer is provided by a separate Asmedia controller on the motherboard. So I have pretty much only used my Q2 with Virtual Desktop. Even when I'm sitting on my desk I game wirelessly and only have cable for charging. I bough a separate Wifi router to use as an access point.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Argue posted:

I punched into a real wall twice in Superhot VR

Isn't it easiest when moving really slow, so it doesn't really matter if you hit something.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Lemming posted:

I guess what got me about it is calling it "frustrating"; like, they're selling the game at the price point they think reflects the value of the game. I think it's odd to be frustrated that the devs think the game is more valuable than you do. I feel like the process of selling a game at a high price for a short period of time and then slashing the price reflects a game that is fundamentally lovely, and relying on the cycle of releasing a new piece of garbage every so often is a pretty crappy status quo, so I really prefer the idea of only making the games that are worth playing and then not dropping their price immediately, since the value of the game is there and makes it worth getting.

The creator can certainly set the price on what they consider the value of the product, but the customers also have their assessment of the value and if those numbers don't meet, then the creator won't get any money. Only a subset of the potential customers are willing to pay full price. Another subset will buy at half price, or grudgingly at full price if they really want it and there has been a good sale for years. And then there is the subset that I most fall in, that buys a game once it's at -90% and spends more time trawling Steam sales than playing games. Reminds me of a recent discussion in Automotive Insanity where someones answer to "what car they would buy if they had a million", was a "$10k car once a week", because buying cars is more fun than owning them.

I think the last game I willingly bought at full price at release was GTA San Andreas for PS2. I spend a whole lot of time playing Civilization, so I bought Civ6 when the platinum bundle with a whole bunch of DLCs had a -50% sale, about 4 and half years after Civ6 was released. After 276 hours played I feel that was acceptable value. But for most games if the creator doesn't drop it to -90% they won't get a cent from me and that is a decision the creator is entitled to make. Of course, as everyone, I have only played a notable amount ~5% of the games in my library, so most of those cents are more like small donations to the creator.

It was a funny reminder about this when Steam had the Games Award sale on december. I owned a bunch of the game they had on the catalog, but only ones from 2016 or older. Guess if a game receives big awards the creators aren't willing to drop the price that quickly.

When I got my Quest 2 on january this actually changed a bit since I basically had to start building my VR library from scratch and ended paying prices I would never pay for flat games outside of Civ and DCS. 20€ for a game did hurt a bit.

Often I wish Steam worked with a time fee. It would probably be more convenient for me to pay 10-50 cents per hour played and have access to the full catalog.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 8, 2021

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

pun pundit posted:

-90% means nothing, though. If you're only evaluating it based on the percentage off, you're liable to get scammed by somebody increasing the base prise a lot and then slapping a -90% on it. During the Steam Xmas sale right after GTAV came out, Rockstar increased the base price to 80 bucks and sold it at 25% off, right at its initial asking price. You're certainly free to do whatever you want with your money, but the laser focus on the little green number on Steam seems foolish to me.

The percentage isn't really a deciding factor, it's more about the 5€ price that I find nice enough. In practice that means an indie game or -90%. If some indie developer raises their price to AAA level and starts selling it at -90% maybe I should reward them for their audacity.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Varjo Teases ‘Varjo For All’ Message Ahead Of New Reveal

https://uploadvr.com/varjo-for-all-teaser/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Bigsteve posted:

Hmmm, trying to use the oculus tray too to check on performance and it seems to act odd. When I launch a game it will only report 60fps. Very occasionally it will show the 120fps then alternate between 60 and 120. Is this normal?
Got a 3070 so should be good for most games, it seems smooth as silk playing. Nothing show on line. Not using ASW or anything odd, just using it for FPS.

You could try dropping your Quest to 92 fps. If the game is hovering around 120 it may be able to keep steady 92.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Metos posted:

My PC and router are at opposite ends of the house, is Ethernet-over-Power between PC and router an improvement over wifi-only Airlink? I assume so but I've also been out of the networking game for a long time.

Wireless only on a recent beefy PC I can play alyx pretty flawlessly but some games that are more input sensitive like Until you Fall have some occasional poor performance.

One information missing from this, is where are you using the Quest. Is it near the computer or some other place in the house? One simple and not too expensive solution is to get a dedicated wireless access point/router wire it to the computer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

It's probably a question about games that aren't VR-exclusive.

Another additionion to the list is DCS World.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I have a cable from my router going into a set of paired Ethernet over mains power adapters into my room. If I plugged another router on the end of that with Ethernet coming out for the PC, would the Airlink work well enough? If wired is going to be more stable I'd probably rather find a way to make that work, maybe by fixing a cable hook to the ceiling so it comes down from above.

Yes, that should work fine. That's what I've done, I have an old internet router and I have a new Wifi5 router connected to it for Q2 use and my computer is also connected to the Wifi5. You should also configure the Q2 router as a wifi access point, not a router. So no NAT and DHCP server, your computer and Q2 should get their IPs from the internet router.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

The problem with Elite now is that Odyssey has tanked performance, which is why I mention it here.

Yes, this is a major change. My friends with 3070 and Quest 2, and 3080 with Vive Pro have been dealing with this in recent months. Waiting for patches and trying to find settings that provide acceptable performance. December update improved things, but I think both are still staying in Horizon. The guy with Vive can't quite manage 90 fps even with VR-low settings, he suspects he could manage it with AMD FSR and better CPU.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

m.hache posted:

Weird question, but does anyone else feel a lingering after effect when you're finished playing VR? Almost like my eyes need to readjust to the real world.

20 mins later and my head feels "floaty" for lack of a better word

We should list what kind of weird effects VR has caused us. I think my last one was when I had played Alyx after a few month pause. I went to a bathroom to wash my hands and when leaving I momentarily forgot that I need to physically move my legs for walking.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

kemikalkadet posted:

For a while when I started using VR, after using the headset for a while then looking at text on a flat screen it would look like the text was hovering a few mm away from the screen. Like reading the forums, it looked like the text protruded from the background. It only happened for a couple of days but I thought it was weird.

I experienced something similar after a longer SuperHot session. When reading a website I felt like bullets were shooting out of the screen.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Streaming Quest 2 to a browser and then streaming the browser through Discord worked surprisingly well.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The best 3D movie I've seen was Pina 3D documentary about Pina Bausch and her choreography. It was better than seeing the performances live since we could get so close. One memorable scene started with a close view of a dancer snapping their fingers.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Grashnak posted:

One thing that's super common with quests on beat saber is to swing down with heaps of arm and get the controller out of view of the tracking cameras on the headset. This tends to mean that it freezes your controller position higher than it actually is and gives you bad upswings.

Could one test this out by trying an easy map and look down as much as possible and see if one manages to get high scores with the upswings.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t know why it has to be a thing regardless. If you don’t want a Facebook account for whatever underlying reason, then don’t get one.

Get an Index or a reverb g2 or a Pimax, or check out used Vives/Vive pros and stuff like that. There is still plenty out there.

If you want a $299 all in one headset, then right now, today, you need to interact with Facebook.

I hope that changes in the future, but that’s how it is today.

I think a competitor wouldn't need to be nearly as cheap as Q2 as long and it had the same features. Year ago when I was planning the purchase a Reverb G2 gave a stiff competition. The wire was a bigger deal breaker than the price, and I may not have bought the Q2 if I hadn't learned about Virtual Desktop from this thread.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Really don't like long guns in VR. Anything you're supposed to hold/aim with two hands really throws me off and gives the impression on holding a slippery pool noodle

I wish some game would implement single handed rifle shooting. You don't use your trigger hand to aim a rifle, the front grip and shoulder take care of that. And there's a pretty good idea where the shoulder is related to the headset.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's the best method these days for streaming yourself playing the Quest 2 to PC while also talking to people on PC, assuming there is one? Sidequest can handle the streaming, but how do you then chat to people on discord?

I've done couple sessions where I cast the Q2 to a Chrome on my computer, then stream Chrome to Discord. For voice and audio I've used a wireless headset I wore over the Quest. It's probably possible to use the Quest microphone and speakers directly with Discord, but I didn't manage to get it to work the first time and switched to headphones.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Setup is PC with wired connection into a TP Link range extender in my office room, playing the Quest in my living room on 5ghz (only device using 5ghz) on my lovely Virgin Media router (which is a top suspect for being part of the problem, no WiFi 6 or whatever)

How long is the distance between office and living room? You could connect a Wifi access point between the PC and TP Link, and connect the Quest to the access point.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Wait, what? I feel we are talking past each other.

Of course they have a solid idea of the legality of the files. They have a database with all the files that if found and your user don't have a license for it, it will be illegal. All the other files are legal, by default.
If you have a build that is not native or uplodaded to the store, then it's legal to their eyes. "Legal", meaning commercial apps from their official store. Of course if you put some pirated file from itch.io they wont care one iota.

I just sideloaded Half-Life 1 VR on my Quest. How would they know that I do in fact own the game in Steam.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Even if that were a solved problem, I suspect the next biggest problem would be that everyone thinks they want a 100% authentic simulator, but only a few hypernerds would actually enjoy a 100% authentic simulator :v:

I did find that as a problem on games like Sword of Gargantua compared to Beat Saber, where you expect your saber to just slice through the blocks. Or Creed where I was surprised my hit didn't go home, because the edge of my glove got stuck on the opponent's.

Maybe VR needs a modified light saber combat where the opponent doesn't block your saber, but instead cuts it. Your swing will go through, but it won't do anything since the blade is momentarily half length.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

chippy posted:

In this scenario, does it actually need to be a router or will an access point do? Or is there some advantage to using an actual router, like maybe it stops the traffic having to go through your main router? Or you set up a separate subnet or something?

I think access point is preferable, but you should be able to configure a router to work as an AP.

I'm using an Asus RT-AC66U router as an AP for the Quest 2, by disabling the DHCP server and not connecting anything on the WAN port so it won't do NATting. I've connected the Asus to my internet router and then connected my gaming desktop to the the Asus.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

For the AirLink versus Virtual Desktop discussion, the problem seems to be that none of us know if our systems are working as they should. We need someone to record high framerate, high resolution video directly from the eye pieces to show how they should look.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

chippy posted:

A lot of routers have an AP mode, but if I need to buy something either way is there a reason to do it like that as opposed to getting an AP without router features in the first place? I guess maybe more choice in routers or something.

Not really, but my understanding is that AP-only devices are a niche product and you can probably find a router for cheaper.

Your best option is to search this thread for router models that people have had good experience with. Keywords like Wifi5/Wifi6/Asus/TP-Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Agent355 posted:

For the wireless option:

I'm not a madman so my PC is wired into the router, but I guess all I need is to have the wireless router in the first place and the quest can hook up through that with no more issues? I know wireless is always going to have some degree of delay that a cable wouldn't but does it work out fine for most games that aren't too finicky? Like I'd imagine the precision needed for a rhythm game like beat saber might matter, but do most of y'all just use the wireless function?

Yes, that is the most simple option. It can work fine, depending on how many other wireless devices you and your neighbours have. Try to use a 5 GHz channel that none of your neighbours use. The next step up is to get a second router and cofigure it as access point for the Quest alone. You can also wire your PC to this access point and wire the AP to your internet router.