Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Syves posted:

I just RMA'd both my knuckles and a lighthouse with Valve and they emailed me the labels and such, but they said I didn't have to ship anything back until I had the new ones. Which I just got. Worst part of the deal for me was having to drive to a nearby FedEx place. And having sticks that wouldn't click in the first place. And a bearing out on the lighthouse. New stuff all works perfectly. So far. So happy days are back again.

Lucky for you, then, when I did the same for mine I had to mail them and wait, they wouldn't send me an advance pair even when I requested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'd rather have a Thief Simulator VR as in Thief the Dark Project, blackjacking some taffers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I saw Superhot is in the XBox PC game pass thing, and I'd assume it wouldn't feature any VR games/VR versions of games because X-Box, but then again WMR is a thing, so... anyone know if you can play VR games via the pass?

Edit: yes I am aware that's the regular version of Superhot, before anyone points that out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That is siiiiick. Love it.

Yeah, my wife would kill me if I started making a riding rig to go with my sim racing rig

You could always use the argument, "well, I could just a get a real motorcycle instead..."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Butt Discussin posted:

Agreed. The Index is a much better piece of hardware overall, but I miss the touch controllers, and I weirdly miss Oculus Home being the default as well.

I'm hoping the next generation gets haptic gloves of some sort. I thought the knuckles would have some of those hand-tracking functions, but that part just doesn't work well. They ended up being just ergonomically worse Touch controllers.

It really makes me sad that Touch 1.0 is dead and gone because it overall really was hands down the best VR gaming controller, full stop. Nothing compares, and the Index controller is the only thing that comes close after you get past the QC issues.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they revised them like they did. They really didn't need much beyond just inverting the tracking ring to over the top of the surface instead around the grip.

I think their logic was A- having something that lays flat on a table easily, and B- not actually consulting with a gaming controller design firm because now it's Facebook, not actual Oculus proper doing all the legwork.

Really dumb. Ultimately Facebook buying them probably is good for the VR market overall and will ensure the continued success of the Oculus brand (see Quest) but I honestly think that overall VR gaming will suffer as VR continues to push more heavily into the 1:1 simulation direction instead of what's easiest/most accurate/efficient for actual gaming. This sort of poo poo has happened before with attempts at weird and novel control schemes in console gaming, but you always had one or two of the main companies always maintaining a traditional overall form factor... The issue with VR is that outside of the (comparatively niche and corner market) WMR environment there has been very little control standardization across the main headsets which hold the lions' share of VR gamers (VIVEs/Oculi/Index) so you never had that time of a decade+ of a reliable benchmark in form factor to keep the industry grounded and be that "old reliable" which they always go back to.

A lot of people may see that as a boon overall, since we're seeing innovative and creative approaches with some new type of controller every couple years thus far. Some will argue that the lack of a "gaming" chic makes the technology more approachable to lay people (see VOID and their whole thing), which is based on the assumption that non-gamers see gaming controllers as intimidating and obtuse. This is kinda a gradually-becoming-archaic assumption since as time passes, more and more kids are growing up as "gamers" and gaming stopped being a niche hobby with a "negative" overall connotation over a decade ago, plus yeah, you're an rear end if you think a joystick and some buttons will intimidate non-gamers. The other main argument I see is that controller design has become "stale" and has been in dire need of innovation. I can agree with the underlying sentiment, but having been playing video games since the mid-80s I think the more pragmatic and realistic revelation is not that game controller design hasn't changed much for a lack of innovation... in the 70s they tried all sorts of poo poo. It's stayed the same because the modern form factor works, simple as that.

VR by nature requires novel methods of control, though, something the simple addition of motion tracking and relatively similar movements like grip buttons can't fully encapsulate, though. A lot of people really want that VR experience that TV and movies have been promising us for 30+ years, that seamless feeling of being completely and utterly in another world. Part of this is that people have varying degrees of tolerance when it comes to immersion, and stuff that's as simple as clicking a grip button completely ruins the sensation for them because their brains are just more concretely wired to their sense of touch than others. Part of it is also simply that we want to be able to do poo poo like flip off our friends with finger tracking or make finger animals and full body gesticulations because the level of control and the new avenues of communication afforded in VR are basically unprecedented (see VRChat and even just a lot of regular shooters).

I'm hoping eventually we figure out a happy medium where there are still efficient and responsive controls that stay extremely precise and accurate for the purposes of gaming, but also allows for really expansive and similarly accurate representations of our physical form and movement being projected into a virtual world. But yeah, Touch 1.0 was something special.

TL;DR: Touch 1.0 was the best for gaming. VR controllers need more standardization.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This, plus a large pay off why Touch was successful was Carbon Design Group, the company that helped design the X-Box 360 controller.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/oculus-touch-design/

Oculus eventually just acquired the company and merged them into their own team, but yeah, that's what I meant by consulting an outside firm.

The limitations of the inside out tracking are 100% part of why Touch 2.0 is the way it is, but that's kind of part of what's a shame, too. You expect iterations on a tech to get better, but ultimately a Touch 1.0 setup even with just 2 sensors still feels better, is more accurate, and just overall is a smoother experience than the Rift 2. Yes, it's a bit of extra setup and wires, but ultimately you only have to do it once, assuming you're not the type that constantly moves your entire setup between locales.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Meanwhile, archery inn Skyrim never gets old because most of the people in that game look like amorphous blobs and are probably terrible anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Thief simulator is out and only $13.49 (10% off)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019550

That price is a steal...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Great, now when SkyNet finally comes into existence, the loving Terminators will fight like the Doom Marine.

We're so hosed. :negative:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

I was so impressed by VD now that I'm off a mesh network that I'm not even excited for link right now.

They really need a better acronym.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So...

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584

:stare:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Immerse all of your knuckles in the experience that is Alyx.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Nah you're wrong.

I have the EVGA hybrid and it owns bones.

Sup 1300+ overclock on memory, sup 150+ on core, Sup temps that don't suck.

With that said. The MSI one, has REALLY lovely tubing on it. gently caress the MSI hybrid.

I mean I'm running an 8700k at 5.2 gigs @70C under load with air cooling and it's super quiet, so

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tweak posted:

i'm so god drat excited for new half life that i was confused for a second how the trailer knew i was breathing heavily before i realized it was the captions

NO THAT'S THE POWER OF SOURCE 2, BABY.

IT CAN HEAR YOUR PANTING AND SMELL YOUR SHARTS. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Index controllers are definitely the best you can get, better than Touch. They're just pricy

Disagree on this as a guy that went from Touch to Index. They're basically the next best, but Touch 1.0 was perfect for actual gaming poo poo, they were crazy responsive and felt great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I went from the original Vive to the Index and kept my original Lighthouses. I still have my original Vive too because now what am I supposed to do with it as I'm keeping the lighthouses? I thought maybe I could use the Vive wands and foot tracking but that's ultragimmick zone.
Just keep your original Lighthouses. They are exactly in the same place they were when I installed them.

You did it backwards, mang

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I meant use the Vive wands as foot trackers IN ADDITION to using the Index controllers. The controllers were always a thing I wanted, even if I didn't get the headset.

Don't the wands still work with lighthouse 2.0s?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

repiv posted:

holy moley that must be a lot of $1000 headsets

It's going by monetary value not units sold, so every headset is the equivalent of selling 19ish copies of Fallen Order.

That's still a shitload of headsets, though. :stare:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cost.

Cost is the loving barrier.

Why are you people arguing about anything else?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

All the good games on that GMG sale are already out of stock. What the hell, did they only have like 100 codes each?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Luneshot posted:

This summary should be in the OP.

With the caveat that Index beats the pants off both, but at a much higher price point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I think they've disabled custom songs inn Quest, so yeah that doesn't help him.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Get knuckles, the wands are poo poo anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gently caress that I want Vermintide VR with 1:1 melee combat that actually requires you to block and poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Bee posted:

I'm talking pure theory here now, but would some sort of glove that vibrates when encountering an object in VR be able to simulate haptic feedback? Like, you push against a wall, and the glove "pushes" back?

You'd need something that actually can exert force while still being small and not hindering movement, aka tech that doesn't actually exist yet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm convinced Pavlov is so named because it's an elaborate experiment in conditioning gamers to accept mediocre VR combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quest 2 will be good. Or knowing stupidass Facebook, they'll continue changing the gaming or whatever and it'll be Oculus Next.