Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Recommendations for a 5ghz VR friendly router?

Must be stable so that wife doesn’t lose her poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Discord SA VR link

https://discord.gg/AUUcR9n

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Has there been a release date set for g2?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just did my first multiplayer co-op zombies game in Pavlov.

Hahahaha hahahahahaha this is AWESOME.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It’s right in the game!!

Online play - create new lobby CO-OP

Friends only or anyone!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can we start a meetup group for some games?

Quote reply if you are interested in:

Poker (poker stars or Poker VR). Neither require money

Pavlov

I need some goon friends to play with.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thanks I’m in it. Still thought I’d try here.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I tell you guys what, how about you add me on steam!

FuriousPhoen1x

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Do we have a steam VR list of goons? I can start a drive excel sheet if we don’t!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Working on the steam group now! Will post a link to that and a backup drive sheet tonight!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Shine posted:

I like that calibration screen the Oculus software had on my old Rift, with the green crosses and instructions on how to make them look clean (by adjusting both the headset position and IPD slider). I wonder why SteamVR doesn't have something similar. "gently caress with this knob until the vertical lines look smooth" is easier for most folks to make use of than "set to your IPD" or whatever.

Yeah this is like......this best solution for this.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Got TotF - soaked in sweat after 15 minutes. drat you pandemic body.

How do I know what opponent has what weakness? Do they have tells or what’s my strategy here?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
You want a legitimate VD copy from Oculus store.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Was that the game in Working Moms?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It seems like every 3 weeks my Oculus Quest audio just dies using Link.

Typically, a full reinstall of the Oculus software on my pc does the trick but that’s 5gb at this point.

I am curious if Oculus recently released an update and if my Quest attempts to auto update but I am unaware and unplug it in the middle of an update or something.

It’s strange to me because I am also able to hear just fine in native Quest, as well as Virtual Desktop so I’m a little perplexed as to why the Link keeps losing my audio every so often.

Any ideas?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Id go with Reverb. By the time any of these headsets are available to purchase with regularity the reverb will be out and so will the reviews.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I've started that SA Goon VR Spreadsheet I promised 5 pages ago.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n4FuVn6ZbGa0QQo81er3Pr3CWbTnn0br6sCBu0BYihI/edit?usp=sharing

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
To piggyback: I often throw grenades at my feet in Pavlov while playing on the quest.

It’s because the quest can see my hands when I put it behind my head so it just drops the grenade.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I have a quest but the FB thing made me just submit my order for the Reverb.

Are there no upcoming alternative mobile VR platforms?

If not....why not?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

El Jeffe posted:

Half Life: Alyx is about to be run at SGDQ, for anyone interested in seeing a VR speedrun.

EDIT: It was... bonkers. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/714783117?t=45h29m48s

What the hell. This was amazing.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If you had 50k to build the best VR flight sim lab (and things related)

What would you buy?

I’ve got a grant proposal due on Friday and I need ideas.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Happyimp posted:

I have it installed but never played it. I don't like competitive games with random folks, but thought the goon discord was for people that wanted to play multi-player vr games. I realized that the goon discord was for folk more antisocial than the main site. It would be nice to have an actual goon group for people that want to actually play together.
It's Halloween season, so I'm getting my flat-screen friends to plat phasmophobia. I would like to play it with all vr folk.

I tried to start a goon group but got nowhere.

Add me on steam!

FuriousPhoen1x

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I think I need to put squadrons away for a month.

3700x with 2070 super and an Oculus Quest. Also bought this on steam....

Getting like 30 FPS in game and getting super sick.

And I fly airplanes IRL. combination of bad frame rates and I still haven’t gotten used to having pedals as roll.

Gonna wait till the reverb g2 comes in I think.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Quest has been rooted?

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jd6cfi/the_quest_2_has_allegedly_successfully_been_rooted/

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I just can't believe people are actively buying the Quest 2 and giving Facebook money.

I bought a Quest 1 because this thread recommended it, and it was before I knew it was Facebook....but now? In 2020?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I got my Reverb G2 in.

I am really enjoying it. Playing Star Wars Squadrons is such a massive playability upgrade from my Quest 1.

I am not having massive tracking issues. It does not feel as immediately natural as it did with the Quest, but I swapped out the included batteries for some high voltage ones and have been playing beat saber and Alyx very easily.

If Quest 1 tracking was 9/10 i'd give reverb g2 8/10 as of today.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Pavlov is so much fun. It’s VR counter strike and amazing!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So my VR performance has been abysmal lately.

I was crashing in Pavlov and sw squadrons. My four 2070S was being used at 96% and running at 70C

I made a lot of tweaks a few weeks ago based on some random guide to get FS2020 running well.

Well, turns out I had enabled Hardware Acceleration for GPUs. As soon as I turned off that setting in windows 10 my you went back down to 59*C and usage down to 60%.

Just wanted to mention it in case anybody else had problems.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
You know something else I never knew but I’ve only recently figured out.

But, when you start Pavlov and squadrons!!! you can run it in windowed mode so that it doesn’t take up as many resources.

I also run squadrons as as low a flatscreen resolution as possible as it doesn’t affect VR.

Finally, open up steam settings while in VR. GO to video, choose “overlay quality” and choose low if you don’t need it to be high.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Also man, seeing this kind of stuff is getting me excited, it’s like building a new pc after a decade and unlocking all the cool new tech.

Welcome to yet another hobby. I literally did all of this 8 months ago so it’s cool seeing another aviation goon get into it.

Come play fs20 in vr and hang out with us pilots in discord.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Black Spire Outpost from the parks? What is Blackrock spire? I googled it and got a Warcraft reference.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Professor Wayne posted:

I've been reading it as Elven Table Tennis until right now and thought the game had some kind of fantasy spin.

Literally same. I just searched for it on steam and have been confused as to why it doesn't show up.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I bought a whole bunch of games in an attempt to prevent my mind from freaking out about going back to work. Both of these purchases on Steam.

BLASTON - CHIVALROUS DUELING PISTOLS IN VIRTUAL REALITY

What a freaking workout. Ostensibly all you're doing is standing on a podium dueling another player using futuristic guns and weapons. You've got pistols and shields and grenades it's pretty epic.

But everything happens in Matrix Bullet Time so you can dodge and avoid the bullets and etc. You need to react to the bullets so they don't hit you while also carefully aiming to hit your opponent, or just spray and pray.

In reality what you do is squat, lunge, and turn sideways over and over so you don't get hit by the bullets.

This is all online multiplayer so you're going to be playing against real people and I have never waited longer than 15 seconds for a match up.

Love this game already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QK19SJPqHc&t=20s

Powder VR Ski or Board in Virtual Reality!

This is also a fantastic workout. So, you're either racing against bots, you are trying to hit all the checkpoints on the slope, or you are doing tricks and spins and etc in the freestyle mode. If you are wireless VR that means literally turning around 1080 to do a spin. You can also do it via your controllers though.

This game uses the position of your two controllers to set the direction of the skis. More importantly, though, is the game uses the position of your headset to determine what edges to carve. For example, if you turn the skis to the right, it might move you a little. But, once you move your head in the direction you want to turn to set an edge, you really turn and come into play.

This is the game I want to love the most and I'm having a little trouble getting it "right." I think what I've noticed is that I'm used to skiing at 30MPH in real life and doing whatever turns and etc I want to. This game routinely has you going 70mph and the turns take a little longer than I'm used it.

It's hilarious to try a hockey stop on skis and then fall over in real because your brain can't tell the difference anymore.

Also I was going over some moguls and I swear I felt the floor flex........

https://twitch.tv/videos/881591161?t=1287s

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 21, 2021

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

I just came.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How would an App Store look in VR? I'm talking about from the developer side. Lot of Unity stuff in the apple environment or?

I mean there are a billion games on iOS, how quickly could we get there in apple land?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

playground tough posted:

I was able to snag a good gun stock for around half of its msrp on ebay and holy poo poo it's OP in pavlov

whats it called?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ragnarock
Thrill of the Fight
Blaston
Until You Fall
Eleven Table Tennis (i mean you gotta keep moving and stuff....)

amazing exercise games where the purpose of the game isn't to exercise. These are all fantastic.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
OVR Toolkit is great!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey just FYI I appreciated the VR paradise recommendation.

I also downloaded and joined the Patreon for Captain Hardcore. This is the future folks. That thing is serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

prom candy posted:

Is Blaston any good? Looking for another active game to play so I don't give myself an RSI from punching in Thrill of the Fight. I got Beat Saber but I don't actually like it all that much, maybe I need to load my own songs though.

Blaston is a lot of fun and a great way to make your quads hurt.

---------

In other news, Population: One got a huge major update this week. Introduced a new game mode called "War" - this is 2 teams of 9 battling each other. A lot of fun.

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but I just noticed you could mute people in the left hand trigger map menu and maybe that was part of the update!