Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

For those who did the Costco order and it's shipped, did you get an email specifically saying it was shipped, or did they just update the status on the actual order page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I got my Quest 2 last night, and I boogied with a robot.

It was the goofiest smile I've had on my face in a long time :unsmith:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Question, on the quest 2 without a computer, what’s my best option to watch a movie with a friend that I’ve downloaded? I’ve seen Big Screen VR does pay movies and has hinted at private rooms - is that as simple as setting up a room with a friend and adding the video to my quest and boom? Or do I still have to pay to do that

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Origami Dali posted:

In order to do a synched watch of a movie file, both of you need to have the file on your headset to watch them in Bigscreen. As of now, there's no way to stream a video file from the Quest itself. The only other option is to host the video on a pc via screen mirroring from the steam version of Bigscreen, but I've never seen this work without the video being out of sync with the audio and choppy as hell.

Delayed response, but thanks for this! I figured that was the case but that makes sense.

Followup question - is there any way to have the quest remember my decision to allow data usage when I plug in my quest to a computer to use Android File Transfer? It's a little annoying to have to put on the helmet, and select "Data" within like 5 seconds of it being connected every time I want to add something.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

How are the latter episodes of Vader Unleashed? I remember hearing that Episode One was "the story mode sucks but you get the Jedi Training mode and that rules". Did episodes 2 and 3 get better/more like what you'd hope for, or should I just get Episode One for $10 and play the training mode?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Any recommendations for good “experience” type things on The Quest 2? Like the Anne Frank House app was an interesting way to learn about a topic interactively. Any others that are more on the educational side?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thanks all for the recommendations of the educational/storytelling stuff! I don't have a Link yet but it sounds like that really opens up the content. I don't have a gaming PC at the moment, and I'm waiting for 3080's to be in stock so I can get something to not have to worry about VR processing and such for a long time but I'll check these out when I get one (in like eight years when it's in stock)

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Turin Turambar posted:

New Virtual Desktop version:

Added new Modern Apartment environments
• Added Performance overlay option in the Streaming tab
• Added Reset to defaults button in the Streaming tab
• Reduced latency when streaming VR games
• Displayed VR latency is now more accurate and represents the total motion-to-photon latency
• Virtual desktop microphone no longer gets disabled on disconnect
• Fixed game compatibility with: Stormland, The Climb, Star Wars: Squadrons (Steam), Hellblade, Rez Infinite, Bigscreen (Steam), Pulsar Lost Colony, Propagation VR

Proper motion to photon latency! Now people will be able to do real comparisons with Link. And compatibility with Stormland! That's one of the big Oculus games that still wasn't compatible.

Dumb question - where should I buy Virtual Desktop? At the moment, I have a Mac, and mainly want to use it to stream stuff to Bigscreen VR. In the future, I plan to build a gaming PC so I'd use it then for More Powerful Stuff. Where should I buy it to prevent going "ah damnit I gotta buy it again" in the future?

edit: if it matters I have a Quest 2. It seems like https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/?locale=en_US is the one to go with specifically?

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 21, 2020

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget Rez VR :350:
Agreeing with this on page 420 wholeheartedly

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

canyoneer posted:

According to user submitted data on Howlongtobeat.com, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and Alyx are tied at 11 1/2 hours for main story completion.

Edit: Asgard's Wrath is listed at 28 1/2 hours.

Speaking of, did anyone get Oculus support to actually give them that game? We went back and forth with support but they still haven't delivered the goods

I did, maybe? I dont actually have a gaming pc, but I plan to get one in a few months so I claimed it anyway so I could have it. After a little back and forth they said:

quote:

Hello,

Thank you very much for patiently waiting while your case was brought to my attention.

Good news, I was able to successfully add Asgard's Wrath into your Oculus account.

Once you’ve activated your Quest 2 and connect it with an Oculus Link cable to a compatible computer, your free game will be visible in your Oculus Home PC library.

To learn more about Quest 2 and Oculus Link set-up and PC compatibility see our Oculus Quest Plus Link article here.

I will be closing this ticket, please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Haven't confirmed but at least in theory it's there

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

When I plug my quest 2 into my Mac to transfer files, every time I have to put the headset on and choose "Use for Files" or something - is there a way to disable this prompt? Theres a "Don't Ask Again" button, but I think that is a "Dont use for files, and don't ask again". Or am I just dumb?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Professor Wayne posted:

Anyone play that Jurassic Park game? It looks like it may be decent enough.

I’ve heard it’s your typical length of Vr game these days at ~3 hours of playtime, except that it ends on a cliffhanger of “to be continued in the next DLC coming in a few months!”

So you’re paying $25 for an incomplete game and will have to pay probably $25 more soon. But if you know that going in I’ve heard it’s solid

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I got Eleven Table Tennis the other day because it was the deal of the day. I got a friend to buy it too and we just hung out for an hour idly hitting a ping pong ball back and forth and shooting the poo poo.

It felt like a nice pre-pandemic chill hangout :unsmith:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Is Trover Saves the Universe any good? It's the Deal of the Day on Oculus at 33% off and has great reviews, but they all start with "Rick and Morty is hilarious and..." which raises a yellow flag"

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thanks all re: the Rick and Morty esque game. I dig roiland and generally R&M before it’s fanbase became particularly bad, but it doesn’t sound like I need to jump on this ASAP.

Now just to check the oculus store every day for a worthwhile game to go on sale :pray:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo I just checked this out and this rules. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is the game worth checking out if I have essentially the bare minimum play space, or should I hold off until a nebulous future when I’m able to clear a bigger space to get that first “wow” factor properly?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The Climb is the deal of the day for us “don’t have a computer and use the Quest 2 as a standalone” folks

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

SCheeseman posted:

Golf+ (previously TopGolf) has improved a lot. A full course with another real-world course for purchase. Not a replacement for Walkabout rather a companion, as even the mini golf game variant is fairly different in design with more traditional greens instead of gimmick courses. Back when I first bought it I found it to be a bit jank with performance problems and other rough edges. Seems real polished now though, worth a look if you've been playing Walkabout and want something a bit more golfy.

Golf+/TopGolf is also fun if you have a friend with a Quest and you just want to hang out and catch up. My friend and I do the driving range part every few weeks and it gives a thing to do while we catch up on how our kids are doing and poo poo like that because of the pandemic. Same thing with Eleven Table Tennis - it gives you a repeatable thing with absolutely zero stakes to do.

Having said that, we also recently picked up Walkabout because his definition of mini golf is absolutely the gimmicky "I want a fuckin windmill, and a clown whose mouth opens and closes god damnit" and Golf+ wasn't scratching that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Kwolok posted:

What are poeple's go to games? For me its just beat saber really, I've played the good experiences like alyx but beat saber is the only thign I keep going back to. What about you guys?

As someone who just has a Quest 2 stand-alone, Walkabout minigolf and Eleven Table Tennis are great for me to hang out with my friend and just catch up. We both have kids and live about an hour away from each other, so those games are great background activities to shooting the poo poo.

We used to do Golf+ or whatever it’s called now (formerly TopGolf) for the same reason but walkabout is such a better experience if you want more than a driving range