Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

EVGA Longoria posted:

I bought one of the Acer ones when they went on super sale a year or so ago. It's definitely a first step. Tracking kinda sucks for Beat Saber (the main reason to own VR).

The tracking is fine for beat saber, at least up to expert+, but then your hands are pretty much always in a nice easy place to see.

The tracking problems seem an issue where you need your hands close together/in front of your face like on boxing games or sometimes holding a rifle or in certain games where you need to throw things which involves your hands going out of sight. Some games can handle an action like drawing an arrow from a quiver on your back and some games really struggle with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How are the wmr (specifically the HP) halo strap things supposed to sit on your head? I’m finding the sweet spot is way smaller than on the Rift and keeping it in the sweet spot is tough.

I don’t think it will be replacing my Rift despite the resolution bump, but as a second hmd I think it will be fine.

I have no idea about that set specifically but there's two ways you can wear the wmr halo straps in general. One is the way with it like on your forehead at the front and then half way down the back of your head and tight, which I think is the proper way. But the other way is to wear the halo more like a crown on the top of your head.

If it has velcro padding like the other sets like the lenovo, consider swapping the front and back pads. Tends to be more comfortable and puts your eyes closer to the lenses which helps. Probably not a great idea for glasses wearers.

Also you probably want to remove the headphone cable from the loop on the side, so only the usb/hdmi cable is in that loop so that it has some slack when taking it off.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s weird what little things get you. I can sit in iracing all day long in VR and I’m fine. The second I back the car up and then hit the brakes to stop it, my stomach drops to the floor.

It’s so strange that just the act of reversing then braking does it. Flying around a track for an hour? That’s fine though

I notice this too in dirt rally 2.0 since it makes you come to a stop at the stage end instead of just going into slowmo when crossing the line like dirt rally did. Feel nothing on the heavy intensity courses / heavy breaking for hairpins. Crashing into stuff at full speed isn't a problem, but the transition from slow speed to a complete stop is unpleasant.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hi VR thread, maybe you can offer me some advice. I have an Odyssey+ (hey, it was cheap) that I've been exploring the last couple weekends. Last weekend it was all working, then I stupidly followed SteamVR's advice to update my graphics drivers which broke everything, then I refreshed my Windows installation and got things mostly working again over the last few days.

But today I was trying to get back in to Boneworks, and while it worked before, now when I go into the main game the headset display just shuts off after ten or twenty seconds. I still get audio and the tracking is working, because the computer screen still shows my mirrored display as if it's working fine. I haven't found much help online except for suggestions it's a cabling/seating connection issue, but I don't *think* that's the case because as far as I can tell the display immediately works fine again switching back to the WMR portal, and I've been screwing around with other SteamVR stuff without that happening. I can also run around in the Boneworks intro room without that happening. Anyone seen anything similar, in that game specifically, or as a more general issue that might crop up elsewhere?

Is it just Boneworks? This seems to be a pretty common issue on r/windowsmr. I guess make sure you are on the beta branches of both SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

BadMedic posted:

I just checked the minimum requirements for Half Life: Alyx, and I'm a bit concerned about the processor requirements.
The min is a i5 7500, but my current processor is an i5 4690. (yeah, I need to upgrade...)

According to benchmarks they are roughly equal in power, but I don't know if this is a speed requirement, or a instruction set one.

Just the model they picked. You'll be fine.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AzureSkys posted:

I have very slow internet and no other options (1.3mb/s down) and have been trying to download Alyx all week. I got to 14 GB downloaded after a couple days and had to pause it to do some other stuff. When I restarted it it went back to 0 and now after today's attempt I'm only at 4Gb downloaded.

I'm afraid to pause it again, but I can't have this saturating my little internet for the week (I finally got OK'd to work from home yesterday). Any idea as to why it restarted and how to prevent it from happening again?

Did the total change when you restarted? It's possible you went from say 14/60 to 4/46.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Hadlock posted:

Yeah if you own glasses, for any reason, you owe it to yourself to buy 2-3 pairs of crappy* glasses from Zenni. If you decline all the scratch protection, tint, etc they really are like $10-12 shipped. 100% worth it

Once a year or so, I login and buy $60 worth of glasses (frames + lenses) which is usually like 1 x $35 pair, and 2 x $15 pair. I have a bunch of pair stashed in my glove box, camping stuff, on the boat etc as backups.

*Zenni aren't crappy, most people I know wear Zenni these days and you wouldn't know they cost $150 less than what you buy at the optician

I'll second this and add that when I ordered a pair just for the lenses together with a regular pair of glasses, I got a human message noting that I had ordered different ipd and wanting my confirmation/suspecting I had made a mistake. It was kind of reassuring, even if it ended up adding an extra day or two.

Also I think it's always worth getting the +$5 anti-reflective coating because of all the light bouncing around in a headset.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Luneshot posted:

Dumb question. I have an IPD kinda on the edge of the Rift S range (~57-58mm) and I definitely notice it. Would prescription lens inserts with my actual IPD make a significant difference from the stock lenses, or does it not matter since the Rift S has a single-panel display?

They don't replace the lenses, the inserts are in addition so no difference.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why does the 3080 have 10gb of vram when the 1080ti has 11?
I guess, why does it have a 352bit bus?

I would think it is just a factor of the processors, bus widths on the cards and, what ram chips physically exist. For example that 320bit bus divided by 10gb = 32. While 352bit bus on divided by 11gb also = 32.
6gb/3gb cards seem to be 192bit bus and 4gb/8gb ones 256bit. While the 384bit bus of the 3090 gave the option of 12 or 24gb of ram.

Presumably the number of processors determines where the card will position in the range and how that fits nicely into all of the above, or you end up with another gtx970 situation.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I know there's other software for this but some guy on reddit made a really simple program that can measure and can gather data on various fov for headsets. I guess it's part to compare headsets and also for you to see how you are wearing your set/your ipd/wearing glasses etc affects fov as compared to other people.
https://www.infinite.cz/projects/HMD-tester-virtual-reality-headset-database-utility

I found it interesting just to compare what I am actually seeing since I don't know how to trust my own eyes and was intrigued by some other headset figures.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A new PCVR headset has popped into existence overnight from well-known technological company... *checks notes* Megadodo?

There's some youtube videos supposedly demo'ing it, but the general smell test seems to lean towards a scam. I'm inclined to agree personally, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjun1PahYxw

There is a self-identified Star Citizen backer in the comments of that video clearly talking themselves into believing in this product and the technology, which tells me everything I need to know.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's nice of Valve to let you adjust the SteamVR resolution, but is there a reason why they can't just give us device presets instead of trying to finagle a slider to the closest match, which on the Quest 2 is never exact?

I think 100% should be the device preset render resolution and will always be higher than the native resolution of the physical panel for any HMD. The reason is the distortion correction for shape of lenses vs square panel and because pixels get "lost" doing this procedure more are rendered to account for it.

The shape of the lenses affects it so the 100% for different HMDs varies from their respective panels by different amounts because they have different lenses and different distortions.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

The End posted:

Figured out how to record smooth VR footage from my Reverb G2 finally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFc5AiKglms

Loving VR. Can't go back to playing sim games on a monitor.

Don't suppose your solution was something other than doing a pretty awkward rollback to a fairly old version of steamvr?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Argh, Cosmodread doesn't see the G2 thumbsticks correctly and the thing which is being treated as thumbstick input is "emulated trackpad" (even though the controller menu in game shows a WMR controller ands not a vive stick). Is there an easy way to fix this? "emulated trackpad" means holding a button down and then moving a hand in space, this is not a useful way to navigate in a FPS

There's probably a steam custom control setup for it or these days I think you can do it in the menus somewhere now, but you can try old way of doing it

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings"

In the text file, you'll see a whole bunch of options. With fairly clear instructions on forcing thumbsticks to have different behaviour. The file gets reset on updates, make a copy etc. It may help you find the settings in the UI to edit it the proper way / on a per game basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Wallrod posted:

The Subnautica UI is really badly integrated (i have to close one eye sometimes just to focus on it), and having to look directly up to swim to the surface quickly starts to really be a PAIN IN THE NECK HA HA because you do it all the time, but the immersion still feels really cool. I'm pretty resilient to VR giving you strange feelings, and the flat game when i played it didn't have as much of an effect as it seemed to on other people, but it's probably the strongest heebiejeebies i've felt from a VR experience yet

There was also a swim up/down that I think was unbound by default in Subnautica, just add them to the bumper buttons which seems to now be the default control scheme in Below Zero.