Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

That Italian Guy posted:

For goons usign a power bank with the Quest, do you velcro it along the horizontal or vertical strap on the back? Also how large of a power bank are we talking (measures/weight and mAh)? The Quest weights only 100g more than the CV1 apparently, so I guess the problem is mostly with the weight being lopsided instead of being evenly distributed. I don't want to overdo it with an oversized bank and have the weight be shifted back instead of front.

I leave it attached like this whether I plug in the power cord or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

HycoCam posted:

And to that end--what is the value in the 128GB Quest over the 64GB--is it the ability to hold more games? Or does it allow more to load/shorten the change scene time? i.e. When I played Vader Immortal, had to wait in the dark for a bit between scenes. (And is it something that can be added with an SO-DIMM from Amazon?)

You’ve purchased a smartphone in the last decade, haven’t you? The bigger one holds more apps.

No, you can’t add more, but most people are OK with 64gb.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have DOMS from video games.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pixel Ripped 1995 is the most fun I’ve had with the Quest in a while.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just realized I can use the Quest to watch giant YouTube while washing dishes. The real world is black and white, and the visual delay to my hand movements is a little strange, but it works.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

JHVH-1 posted:

Ah weird. I have noticed a lot less live events on Oculus Venues were happening (it started decreasing long before covid), and they used to partner with NextVR to do the streams. Wonder if its related.

NextVR was mostly rolling their truck around the NBA and there's not so much NBA around right now.

They've got a neat little setup. Its like a 40ft box truck with an expando side. Slightly larger than a network news uplink truck, about 3/4 the size of a typical HD production. Their cameras are all in little 3D printed shells to fit in specified places around the basketball court --you can tell it was a very DIY project to get rolling.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is it my imagination or does Eleven enforce service rules way more strictly in ranked than it does in 1p or unranked?

It sucks because I keep thinking I have a legal serve committed to muscle memory, but when I try a ranked match it honks at me for “too low toss” or “hit while rising” every time and I can’t break the habit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Reallycoolname posted:

Do you guys use any protective casings / covers for the Oculus Quest and its controllers? I really wouldn't mind having some wrist straps on the controllers in particular.

Overkill, but if you cut the insert out of the box the Quest comes in, it fits perfectly into the Apache 2800 at harbor freight. Everything slots in and nothing moves.

Here’s a coupon to make it $22. They’re fine with scanning the coup off your phone. https://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/2423_ITEM_APACHE_2800_CASE_1586600379.7205.png

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So the first time I used BMBF to get custom songs on the quest it launched straight out of install

Am I supposed to keep selecting BMBF from library to do that again?

To add more songs? Launch BMBF from unknown sources. Just to play? Launch BeatSaber normally.

To update Beat Saber? Skip updates unless there are actual features you want. It’s kind of tedious to backup data and it’s best to find a current tutorial.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ahh! But either way the real issue was I just had to restart everything for some mysterious reason. Back to browsing bsaber on my quest and downloading bad maps because I like the song

Browse on a pc a use “bookmark sync.”

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s important to realize that you can’t draw your guardian wall-to-wall and expect the software to save your tv from getting smashed. Your play space really needs a generous arms-length beyond the guardian as a reaction buffer.

I pretty much only play Eleven, and I have to light up the guardian on both sides of the table before serving to make sure I don’t whack anything if I dive for the ball.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m a real casual gamer and pretty mic-shy, but Walkabout Minigolf public quick matches have been extremely good.

I think I played at least 5 hours in my lonely hotel room last night and only got one lovely person.

Walking around with strangers comparing trick shot angles and just loving around. Mostly adults, and shorties tend to leave their mics off.

I finally gave in and linked my Oculus account with Facebook, hoping I could find some IRL friends to play with who might’ve bought a Q2 for Christmas, but that’s not a thing I can see?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 15, 2021

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

explosivo posted:

Would you recommend this for just 1v1 matches with a friend? I was just talking to a friend about this one last night, we used to play a bunch of Everybody's Golf and this kinda looks like that but in VR and that sounds awesome.

I’m into it. Physics are pretty good. The courses are well-designed.

I was into Eleven before, but if you’re having an off game in table tennis, your opponent’s experience suffers too. Golf can be as noncompetitive as you want.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have recommendations for chill games to play on drugs? My usual roster of Pistol Whip et al are a bit too intense for a nice relaxing time. Cool visuals and fun interactions with not a lot of pressure, that sort of thing, but maybe a bit more advanced than those early slew of 2016 era things that feel like tech demos.

walkabout minigolf again. get stoned and putt.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
“Wander” on Quest is kinda that, but the lack of depth kills the magic for me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A lot of people getting mad about a hypothetical product rumor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm gonna putt around in Walkabout room "GOON" for a while.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Where’s the best place to sell my Quest 2?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I get a lot of nice random chats on walkabout, but I keep my mic off until I know they’re not 12.

I can’t get a legal serve off in eleven. Constantly knocking the controller rings into each other trying to serve.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anybody want to share a referral link for Virtual Desktop or Synth Riders? $5 is $5

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thanks. Used both

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My Quest 2 was always dead when I wanted to use it. I thought the forehead sensor was getting triggered and waking the screen constantly. I just put black tape over the sensor, problem solved.

Quest 3 does the same thing, but if I tape over the sensor, it won't boot up. Is there a better solution?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Am I supposed to be shutting it down completely? I don't shut down anything anymore, and Q2 worked fine with the tape

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zet posted:

If I'm taking it on a 10+ hour plane ride, what accessories should I buy? (edit: I guess to clarify, I am mostly planning on using it as an extended screen with Immersed to my Steam Deck and less so say, Beat Saber on the plane :p)

Sorry, that sounds cumbersome and awful. All the adapters and dongles to connect to the steam deck, plus keeping a Quest controller handy to constantly recenter the screen as the plane moves, then trying to keep both devices charged for 10 hours?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ive seen those Reddit posts, but they never mention all of the cable and adapters necessary.

I don’t think you can just connect the Deck and the Quest with a usb-c. Pretty sure you need a usb-c to hdmi for the deck, usb-c hdmi capture dongle for the quest, an hdmi cable and a way to power everything.

Quest is kind of OK for movies on a plane. Maybe emulated 2D games. Trying to turbo-nerd with the steam deck while you’re elbow-to-gut with strangers on a plane is just too much.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MikusR posted:

Quest does not have any direct video input.

There are android “usb camera viewer” apps you can sideload. That’s how people are getting hdmi capture dongles to work as video inputs but it’s not a feasibly-portable solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can I play Tetris Effect on quest while laying down?