Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hello I just did all this research for weeks and was gonna get the valve index, decided the HP Reverb G2 would be a better fit for me overall, got it last night spent all this time getting the hang of this learning curve with the janky windows mixed reality, steam VR and I have a pretty beefy PC and was getting pumped for this and finally loaded up some games to fire some guns and immediately realized I overlooked one giant problem i'm gonna have with this poo poo forever lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Count me in as one of those who took the facebook requirement as a hard dealbreaker for the Quest 2. Literally is the one thing stopping me from getting it + even more troubling to me are all the reports I've heard of them banning you for making a fake account just for it. FUUUUUUUUCK THAT. Was gonna get the Index but went with the HP Reverb G2 instead and so far I think I made the right choice. I wish I could play RE4 tho. Hoping that it's only a timed exclusive.

It is pretty funny to me that RE7 and RE4 in VR are games in the same franchise but are hard-locked to their respective headsets. Add RE2 and RE3 to that as well if you include their VR mods (which requires a gaming PC).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

if u post on SA you enable the genocide of brain cells

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

well f*ck me dude (this is regarding Hitman 3 VR)

edit: the fanmod community figured it out in an hour, of course https://www.nexusmods.com/hitman3/mods/254/

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 20, 2022

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wow they absolutely botched this launch as bad as you possible could. Look at this poo poo. What does any of this even mean other than placing artificial value on the pack discounts or whatever.

I wanted it just for VR mode but lmao I got double hosed as a Reverb and left-hand enjoyer (thanks to the one person who posted this out!)

All this on top of they didn't put any of it up until the exact second it went live today makes you think they must have known how this would look, and also makes me wonder how much they actually sold on EGS to pull this lol. Holy gently caress what a mess. Definitely one of the worse launches I've ever seen. Review bombing definitely incoming.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Man, I kinda don't like skyrim to begin with and playing it in VR is more awkward than fun but jesus christ with some 200+ "ultimate VR" mod pack it really does feel uniquely like a videogame from the far future in a way other VR games don't.

I'd like to hear a little bit more about your experience with this if/whenever you're up to it. I've never played skyrim ever but testimonies like these always grab my interest and might be something I'd check out

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

add an open world the size of germany with objectives and branching, non-linear storylines and also give the shovees items that make them look more shovable

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

can someone link to this 200+ modpack I keep hearing about for skyrim vr

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What VR games are the most stomach churning as far as camera and movement? Just nothing but games that will really gently caress you up

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into Half-Life Alyx :(

I feel like such a tool since this was my #1 reason for getting VR. I love the 3D puzzles and environments, but it's really the shooting that's getting me down. I miss so much to the point where I wonder if it's mis-calibrated for lefties or something, so I try to slow down and take my time to aim down the sights but I'm just taking a lot of damage. But then I get stressed since ammo feels very limited and I'm missing a lot, so I'm just walking around dreading any enemies appearing.

Manhacks just showed up and I was having so much trouble hitting them I ended up turning off after a group of TWO killed me. Haven't had this kind of trouble shooting in VR before! Any tips to make me better at combat?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tip posted:

The more ammo you use the more ammo that gets dropped, so you're kinda punishing yourself there. Once I stopped worrying about conserving ammo it got a lot easier.

Good to know, I guess I'll just go ham and blap blap blap and not worry so much about every single shot and we'll see what happens

Thanks all!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So I bought Ultrawings on a whim cause someone posted the trailer for Ultrawings 2 here and something about watching your guy aiming a loving handgun out of the side of a prop plane to shoot targets on the ground was so lol I bought the first game immediately and I've prob spent more time with it than any other game.

That said, games don't tend to scare me and I've never considered myself the scared type and I don't have a fear of heights but early on I accidentally started a "free fly" mode by accident that I couldn't get out of. I tried to crash my plane to get out of it and something about it just felt so visceral terrifying in VR that I immediately fixed/righted my position, then I decided to just try to crash it again but this time I closed my eyes (lol) and it was still horrifying :staredog:

is this weird/have any of yall VR spooked yourselves and have a similar story

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

forest spirit posted:

I don't think it's that uncommon a reaction if you like more kinetic experiences in VR. Eventually you've died from falling off a skyscraper or been shot in the head at close range enough times. Doesn't make it any less fun though!

lol offtopic but I gently caress with this sentence & it connected with me cause like 10 years ago my cousin and I were putting in dozens and dozens of hours a week throwing boomerangs and after a certain point we realized that our 'flinch' reaction from any object flying at our faces was completely gone

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Internet Friend posted:

I picked up Ultrawings for my new Quest 2 and maybe I'm a dumbass but I cannot figure out how to flip the magneto switch in the ultralight. I've tried flicking, pinching, grabbing, fast and slow, but it just doesn't respond. Help a VR newbie out, how does this work?

Make sure ur holding whatever button makes one extend their ☝

The best issue I had with my inaugural boot of the game is my left/right hands were reversed for some reason until I restarted it :whatup:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really hope re4vr is just a timed exclusive...... How far out of line am i??

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Last night I was super tired and just kinda zoned out staring at the trees swaying in the wind in my Steam VR room and it was cool. Besides Tetris Effect what are some cool games with amazingly trippy or serene visuals taht would be fun to get high and put on that require somewhat limited interaction from me besides just turning my head and looking at cool poo poo. This sounds hyper specirfic but I hope this come across well..I don't have a Quest 2 so no oculus specific stuff

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't really play flight sims but I've been having an absolute blast with Ultrawings 1 with motion controllers and now a joystick

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I have to say I expected a bit more of graphical improvement over Ultrawings 1, at least on Quest 2. Even more when you compare with Warplanes WW1 Fighters .

I saw in one of their ads that they use much lower quality assets for the Quest, and will use the higher quality ones for the Steam/PC release (which were also the assets being used in the trailers)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

YouTube randomly recommended me a video I haven't watched in years (maybe cuz I'm looking up VR stuff), but now that I've put in a bunch of time into VR I can appreciate how hosed up it was doing this to this guy and laughed my rear end off. That is legit terror

https://youtu.be/7e9JvwhqLmA&t=5m12s

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 9, 2022

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Argue posted:

Uh, on a tangential note, does the Outer Wilds DLC require me to remember all the poo poo that I've since long forgotten about the main game?

Others have already answered this but something I will also add is that I would recommend playing on an old save file and not starting a new one for the DLC. There are some small but impactful moments you'll miss out on with a fresh save that beelines straight to the DLC world.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lol I wanted to get really hosed up in VR so I was looking into getting Detached but saw multiple posts that specifically my VR headset (HP Reverb G2) used to work but an update completely killed its controllers' ability to detect interactions with the game in any way by and the devs for it literally told someone "we're not going to fix this, just refund the game". That's...fine (not really) for anyone who just bought it, but I can't imagine how upset I'd be with that response if I had bought it a while ago and was enjoying it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

are we really arguing that a vr game would not be as enjoyable if it were non-vr in the vr thread

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ultra wings 2 on steam is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i couldn't get into half-life alyx for the life of me no matter how many times i tried but i can just sit in ultra wings 1 & 2 and chill out and fly cool planes for hours.............i didn't even know arcadey flight sims were a thing i liked.

:-]