Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Jumped into VR with my Quest arriving friday. I'd had the GearVR previously but the wife wanted to go to a VR arcade a little while back and loved it so I splurged and got the Quest. Loving it so far, grabbed myself pretty much all the standard games like Beat Saber, Super Hot and Vader Immortal and also Pistol Whip. The legs are a little sore from all the gaming I've done over the weekend, PW really takes a toll on you when you're not used to playing like this. Glad that some of my GearVR stuff carried over as well. The kids are nuts for Epic Roller Coaster, does anyone have some good kid friendly roller coaster videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

The cheap cable I got to try out Oculus Link is a bit sketchy and I keep getting disconnects, I've ordered the shorter Anker cable and the active extender linked a bit earlier in the thread so hopefully that will work fine. Possibly I need a PC overhaul as well, still running my 4-5 year old system just with a 1660ti put in it. Upgrading to something that will support USB 3.1 Gen 2 is probably a good move

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

I didn't realize "vr-ready" was actually a marketing thing, I just meant something beefy enough to easily run top of the line vr games. I already have windows 10, and already own a Quest, so I plan on utilizing Link for pcvr. I don't game much at all, so I don't know poo poo about graphics cards, and I haven't had a desktop pc in well over a decade, but I do like the possibilities of vr and want to try poo poo like NMS and Elite, and finally be able to play a couple of recent 2D titles like new Doom. I do occasional music recording/mixing and video editing too, so I'd like something that can run realtime plugins and render hires video quickly. That's about it. l reckon I'll check out the pc build thread, and look out for some holiday deals. Appreciate the help.

I was posting last week about upgrading my desktop to better suit Oculus Link, and pulled the trigger on the upgrade and built it over the weekend, loving the jump up from my old system

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MMmqmg

I went a bit overboard with specs for what I need but figured why not buy the current gen CPU and add the extra RAM while I'm doing it. Reused my SSD, HDD, PSU & GPU. You can for sure get away with lower specs than I've gone with and save a bit of cash, the 1660ti seems to play stuff fine and would be what I consider the baseline for a VR GPU, and last gen Ryzen/i5 CPU's are decently priced. With sales coming up it's worth keeping an eye out for parts or decent pre-built systems that are worth it if you're going to do it

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

sigher posted:

When I add it to the cart it's full price and the DLC isn't in the cart. Welp.

I just had no issue buying it, you're trying to buy it through the Ubisoft store and not Oculus correct?

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I made my poor purchasing decision for the month, decided to order myself a HOTAS purely for squadrons when it comes out. Got a Thrustmaster T-flight to use that arrived today. I own Elite from one of the many steam sales so I'll have to work out how to play and get some time in learning and try and make sure my VR stomach is up for flying

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

No shipping notification from Amazon yet, it's the 13th send me my new toy! Still estimated to arrive in the next 2 days though, I'd hope so seeing as the Amazon warehouse is about 15 mins drive from my house

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

My Quest 2 just arrived! From Amazon, in Australia.

Nice one! My buddy got his delivered today as well, I'm stuck playing the tracking game which is super annoying due to the Amazon FC being 15 minutes drive away

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Yikes, looking at over a month's wait to buy a quest 2 in australia. Guess I should have pre ordered.

Amazon is showing as in stock and delivered by the 21st

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it looks like I can sell my rift s for ~200 on ebay and upgrade to a quest 2. I have it listed now because I feel like the window will slam fast.

If I am able to sell it -- if I'm going to use this wired 99% of the time, does 64gb vs 256 matter? That is, there's no other differences in the hardware, right?

Nope, just storage capacity. The 64Gb Quest 1 was plenty for me, with all my games installed and still have about 15Gb free

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

blue squares posted:

I already bought virtual desktop on steam. Do I need to return that one?

Yeah, you need the Oculus Quest version to do vr streaming. Buy it from within the headset itself so that you dont accidently buy the Rift version which is cheaper, but wont stream

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

AzureSkys posted:

Are the Q2 controller handles, where the battery is, about the same size/shape as the Q1? I have a few 3d printed items I got from Etsy that I'm curious will fit, like a grip with a side strap and the magnetic base for simulators.

My AMVR beat saber handles that I ordered 3 months ago, that arrived just 2 days before my Q2 did, actually fit correctly with the new touch controllers, so mostly a maybe?

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

iron buns posted:

Quest 2 seems to be selling very well.

Also, Sidequest was having some server issues earlier due to the sudden increase in traffic.

The holiday season is going to be interesting.

I'm not shocked, I've been told to organise a Quest 2 and a bunch of accessories for my father in law for his Christmas present, pretty much just from a little exposure to VR through me & my Quest 1.

Seeing all these devs talk about the massive influx of sales/users is a very promising sign for the future, and really should light a fire under Apple/Samsung or whoever to produce their own standalone headsets to try and break Facebook's monopoly on the market

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Tenacious J posted:

Yeah Quest 2 is amazing. Feels like a paradigm shift forward IMO.

How can I tell if my router is good enough for wireless virtual desktop? I’m playing and things are mostly fine except for a moment here and there (which is nauseating). Maybe that’s the best it gets? Or is there some info I can look at to judge performance?

I’m setup on 5ghz and AC, but it’s the stock modem+router my ISP gave me.

The streamer app will tell you your latency, just peek at that to see what you're getting. I've been tweaking my settings and have it at a consistent 25-40ms latency in the games I've tested so far.
In the app itself I've got my VR Quality set to Low, and VR bitrate set to 80. My GPU is a 1660Ti and not something super high end though but I can't tell the difference between virtual desktop and using link.

Play with the settings, start with it all as high as it will go and then reduce them until you get a good result.

I'll be testing tonight to see if my new WiFi6 router makes any difference at all, see if I can bring the latency down more.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Skybox has worked great for me, I have all my content on my NAS and streams to the headset no issues. Auto detects 3d videos, VR or just flatscreen stuff

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Novasol posted:

As someone who actually likes minigolf... recommendations?

I really like Walkabout Mini Golf. Oculus only for the moment, coming to steam at some point

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

rockinsaki posted:

So with this graphical update how comparable are the G2 and the Quest 2 for PCVR? Can we expect more improvements to the link tech? Also, if I want the dedicated link and cable and stuff the quest 2 seems to approach the cost of the G2 anyway. So is the standalone VR that good?

E: also, this is something I hadn't really considered so much yet, but my graphics card is only a 1660ti. If I buy the reverb g2, am I effectively bottlenecking my vr experience with my graphics card? Would I be able to benefit from the G2's more powerful stuff without a 2060 or whatever?

I've got a 1660ti in my system and I find I want more power for Virtual Desktop streaming but it isn't the worst card at all. It's basically a 2060 without the raytracing stuff. I'm keeping my eye out for the new AMD cards or the rumoured 3060ti due early next month before I upgrade, see what's going to be the best bang for my buck.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rad! I'll keep an eye out for any sales over the holiday.

I'd hold off on something like the 2070 for the time being, 3060ti is due to be announced Dec 2nd with an expected price of $400USD, that should do 2080 Super performance.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

merk posted:

I am about to build a new PC and want to make sure it is VR ready. I cannot find a good guide anywhere that is helpful. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If you can get your hands on it, the Ryzen 5 5600X will be your best value CPU to grab. It all depends on your budget though. GPU is the most important thing, and I wouldn't recommend any of the Geforce 20XX cards at the moment even though the 30XX cards are next to impossible to get. It seems like terrible value to spend the same or more to get a card that performs worse than the new gen cards. It's probably a terrible time to be building new now just because of the shortages, a month or 2 wait should mean you get the nice new stuff.

*edit
Something like this
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MHzzvf
Add GPU, case, extra storage and CPU cooler to taste

KTS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 26, 2020

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Howdges posted:

I still have about 10 pages to go in this thread but does anyone have any experience running a rx580 for vr? I'm running an r9 280x now and can only get to 70% resolution in ALVR, just get a black screen if I go any higher. Don't want to spend $400 on a graphics card either though. Also think I got a Quest 2 with faulty lenses, I bought one for my girlfriend as well and it doesn't seem to have the same "light bleed" issue as mine. Will Oculus replace it or am I sol? Microcenter apparently won't take VR headset returns because of covid.. wish someone would have told me that at checkout.

Maybe I'm just used to having actual consumer protections in Australia, but surely a store can't refuse to take back a faulty item just because of covid? I can understand being poo poo out of luck if you just change your mind but faulty is faulty

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Scored my RTX 3060Ti today, I think tonight I'll finally play Alyx, bought it a while ago and just never got around to playing it. The old 1660Ti is going into a dedicated VR pinball PC to run the pinsim controller I'm building currently, still need to grab a few more parts for the controller then start my woodworking.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Whoa! I'm keeping my eyes out for the 3060ti (as the thread recommended). How'd you score one? Did you set up alerts or something?

They didn't all sell out instantly here in Australia, but then again we don't get Founder's Edition cards at all released here. Ended up getting the Gigabyte Gaming OC card, and a 3 hour round trip to pick it up from the store that had it in stock. Pretty happy with it so far, haven't had much of a chance to play much since getting it though.

Lemming posted:

I feel like the Quest 2 default strap is serviceable, but you notice it and you'll probably spend a decent percentage of your play time fiddling with it a bit and pushing it around on your head as it gets uncomfortable. The elite strap makes it far less distracting. I consider it pretty important, though I'm sure some of the third party stuff coming out/that is out is good as well.

Yeah, I was the same way. The included strap was serviceable at best. I've now tested out most replacements and comfort options except for the Halo strap, the Elite strap is my favourite followed closely by the cheap elite knock off strap. The cushion pads for the cloth strap are ok if you need something to make it feel better and only want to spend $10

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Started building my pinsim controller the other day, pretty happy with how it's turned out so far.

Waiting on some hardware to arrive to finish it off, everywhere is closed for the next 2 weeks to get pinball parts locally. Still need to add 2 extra buttons to the side, didn't realise I'd need the magna save buttons for the launcher software when I started it.
I'll be able to get the wiring done, vinyl on and legs mounted hopefully this weekend and start setting up the pinball PC to run this thing.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah most of my experience is with Zaccaria, which I enjoyed. I'd really like to set up VP for VR but a tutorial would be nice, pointers where to download tables too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSjel9VopmDcLaDbVx5xAEYP3R_i7gY-StYYcWIh0Nxu5JOH3wfZ9AHQK5lqHggh3mMb4MHdvGQUq7a/pub

That's a guide for getting VPXVR setup, still need to actually test it out but have it all installed on a purpose built PC just for pinball (it doubles as the pc running my 3/4 scale virtual pinball cabinet)
Most tables you'll find at vpinball.com, ROM's are around but I managed to snag basically all ROM's ages ago before Gottlieb DMCA'd everyone hosting them, not sure if the torrents for them still exist.

Lockback posted:

I believe I am correct but I cannot yet play funhouse in VR, right?

PinballFX2 is pretty good, I have that for my Vita so I feel like I need to continue my streak in niche gaming hardware.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/vr-room-funhouse/
You certainly can play Funhouse in VR, along with basically any emulated table with VPX. There are a bunch that have VR environments added but you can load any of them in VR but they may not be optimised for it.

Got a bit more work done on my pinsim, got all my buttons delivered today. Added the extra holes for magna save buttons today and did a test fit of all the hardware I have. Still need my lockdown bar which is going to have to wait a week or so more before I can get it.
The weekend will be spent wiring up all the buttons and adding the force feedback system to it, and adding the vinyl wrap.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is extremely cool! How does it work in VR? Do you just align your body so the sim in real life lines up with the game? Or is there some way to tell the game where the sim is and adjust for player height so it appears correctly in game?

Yeah, you set the height and width of your controller in the software so it all lines up. The view reset button will then reset everything so that you're in front of the machine and then you can start playing

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Some more work done on the pinsim controller. Vinyl has been added and a light coat of paint on the edges. Just need to start wiring it up tonight and I'll be able to give it a test run

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

wow that looks great! how much does something like that cost in parts?

Honestly, not cheap at all.
This probably cost me about $650AUD all up, not including the dedicated PC but I'm using actual pinball parts in it, a USB encoder designed for digital pinball with nudging and plunger and adding some force feedback to it. A budget version could easily be done to sit on a desk using a basic zero latency USB encoder for much, much less but I wanted to go all out.

The actual cost has been spread out over a few years though by re-using parts I already had from other projects, and raiding my 90% completed virtual pin cabinet. Eventually I'll re-buy the parts I used so I have 2 complete pinball setups, one for VR and finish off the cabinet.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Finished off my pinsim controller last night.

Real pinball lockdown bar (the hand rest rail), real pinball legs and real plunger. I made some side rails out of aluminium angle, and the top cover is some mdf board that I can slide out to access the internals.
Inside is the controller board wired up to all the buttons, a tilt bob wired up as well on the right hand side so if I throw it around too much I'll tilt in game. Plunger runs on a potentiometer so it works correctly in game as well.
I have 2 exciter speakers inside and a bass shaker speaker on the bottom, all mechanical sounds from the tables are run through these to produce vibrations through the cabinet as well to simulate that. You end up feeling the ball rolling on the table and the pops from bumpers and slings.

Very happy with how this has turned, have about 120 tables loaded up and having a ton of fun playing them in VR

https://i.imgur.com/nl5e3x1.mp4

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats really incredibly looking, a fantastic job. I'm curious what VR pinball program are you using that has real world tables in it? I didn't think there was a VR pinball program outside of pinball fx2?

Visual Pinball X VR, takes a bit of work to get running and getting all the tables/ROM's etc but works great

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a pinball emulator system that can do VR but I spent like 2 hours trying to set it up and gave up.

It probably helps that I've been into VP for a while and have setup cabinets in the past. Took a little bit to wrap my head around setting up VR for it but in the end it's actually pretty simple, there just isn't any real nice guides for it. I've been filming this for my lovely little youtube channel and I'll end up doing a tutorial on setting up the software soon.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Ideal would be a VR distribution all bundled up ready to go but I guess that's probably getting into :files:

Also pissing off a ton of creators. Pinball emulation isn't the same as arcade emulation, you can't just grab the ROM and away you go. Someone has to spend the time to model the actual table and write the script to talk to the ROM before it does anything, the people who make these frown upon all in one packs of having that work shared outside of where they uploaded it.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Not the tables though just getting VR set up and working, see: my previous post about spending 2 hours and not getting VR to render from it.

But depending upon how the emulator is distributed it could still be a can of worms to repost a modified version

Ahh, yeah. It mostly already is now, just no good guides on setting it up, it's all facebook group posts and word of mouth really.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I finished off the setup tutorial for VR pinball for those that were interested in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BVrNQ_U-U

Also other videos on the build are uploaded there if anyone is interested in seeing the process from start to finish

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Mischievous Mink posted:

I tried to get Visual Pinball VR working last year and was messing it up so I gave up, this made it easy. This is gonna scratch my pinball VR itch way better than the other offerings I've found besides Zaccaria, which has been a lot of fun imo. Thanks a ton for the guide!

Awesome, glad it helped!

I'm on a mission to track down VR versions of the 2 "forbidden" tables, Ghostbusters & The Beatles. I've got them already for regular play but not the converted ones. I may have to teach myself how to convert them to VR if I don't have any luck

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Do you guys get random errors when running it? I followed the guide but still having trouble. I think now most of my problem is is starts me inside the pinball machine, but that should be fixable in the settings I think. I still get random errors popping up though.

What sort of errors are you getting? I dont get any at all when playing. The table thing is totally fixable in settings, that's the Table X & Table Y settings. I set one of the buttons on my pinsim to be a view reset button and if it's ever not quite right for me I just hit that

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

I'll have to check. I appreciate all your help and your video was great! After trying to go down the rabbit hole myself your video made a ton more sense.

Do you start the _GL.exe or something else? What do you use as X and Y coordinates?

I might have a really good way of setting up a bartop interface but if I do that I can't really move around to adjust where I'm standing.

Lockback posted:

So I see this:

BUT

It loads up fine and I'm sitting somewhere right behind the table. I hit '5' on the numpad which resets me in front in a perfect position so :shrug:. Works great then!

Starting the _GL.exe is fine for testing or a single table, but it's clunky to exit and change tables. I just launch the vrlauncher.exe from within desktop view in the headset and that handles everything.
Here's my table settings

The error message you're getting there is the B2S server trying to load a backglass file and not finding one. Do you have .b2s files in the folder with your tables? The VR tables don't need them, so if you're only playing in VR remove any b2s files and try that, if you do a mix I created a sub folder for my VR tables and just pointed the vrlauncher to that folder. Haven't got that error on 2 PC's setting it up the same way.

Desdinova posted:

Could you (or anyone in the know) give a few pointers in getting PUPPacks up and running in VR? Itching to play Stranger Things but haven't been able to get the backglass and videos playing in vr space. Great quality on the walkthrough btw!

I haven't played with it yet, I need to try and work out how. There technically is a guide on it, but it's about using PUPpacks on a single screen system and has no mention of VR at all so it may be some trial & error before I work it out. The guy who did Stranger Things is really talented and I'm keen to try out his other tables as well (Harry Potter and Pizza Time). GOTG, Munsters & TNA have also been recreated without emulating the ROM by using PUPpacks so want to try those as well.
The guide is here if you want to try and puzzle it out
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pup-packs-on-top-use-pup-packs-on-a-single-screen-desktop-view-fp-vpx-fx3-etc/#bbpress

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

This is great! I don't have any .b2s files in the tables folder, I do have the backglass dlls and whatnot though. How do I set it so it's not looking for them?

Hmm, never run into this issue before. Googling around you may have a B2Sserver setup.xml file which could be causing the issue, if you do delete that and try again. Otherwise, try running the B2S setup.exe in the table folder again

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

Desdinova posted:

Could you (or anyone in the know) give a few pointers in getting PUPPacks up and running in VR? Itching to play Stranger Things but haven't been able to get the backglass and videos playing in vr space. Great quality on the walkthrough btw!

I may have just lucked into it, but I got PUP packs "working" yesterday by doing a half assed install and it just came together automatically in VR. Tested out Beatles & Guardians of the Galaxy and both were working great.
All I did was follow the first part of the single screen PUP pack guide and set the windows to the positions advised and called it a day.
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pup-packs-on-top-use-pup-packs-on-a-single-screen-desktop-view-fp-vpx-fx3-etc/#bbpress

I'll be testing the other tables tonight because I really liked Stranger Things when I first played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

ninjagrips posted:

How about headphones?

What are y'all using on your Quest 2's for headphones?

I got myself of a pair of the engineeredaf porta pro's and they are fantastic.
https://www.engineeredaf.com/product/hi-fix-clip-on-headphones-for-oculus-quest-2-koss-porta-pro/

They go in & out of stock because it's a 1 man operation but they look good on the headset, no cable tangle and no earbuds that I hate