Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows whether Windows' game mode might have an effect on performance?

I seem to have sporadic frame rate issues with Unity based games, and just now I finally came to think, that there might be issues. Say Beat Saber or H3VR getting recognized as a game, Windows doing its thing and allocating cores and resources exclusively to the game, starving the VR compositor of SteamVR out of CPU cycles, or some poo poo like that. But only sometimes depending on whatever else is going.

Because I don't see why I can run either of the two games mentioned at 120hz sometimes, and other times absolutely not. And that without changes to the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

holy poo poo I wonder if this is what has been causing my annoying stuttering
Yea. This was a work shitter thought, gonna see this evening whether that'll do something. Because it's so intermittently, I wonder if that stupid game mode can't decide whether the game or SteamVR needs the most resources.

--edit:
Meh, must be something else then.

quote:

In the latest versions of Windows (1809 & 1903) Game Mode no longer does GPU/CPU prioritization. This prioritization was intended to give more resources to the running game at the cost of background processes, but we found it impacted some games and other scenarios. As an example streaming was impacted in apps like OBS because we were starving them of resources needed to encode.

In these later builds Game Mode is intended to help by removing distractions while playing. In particular it tries to stop Windows Update from updating drivers and stops it from notifying you of non-critical updates. It also causes the CPU to run at a minimum of 100% (on desktop, not laptops) to help reduce CPU fluctuations which may cause performance issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 21, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't believe it! Custom skydomes were fixed in SteamVR Beta!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It makes no sense, because I have had the game just break performance without changing the installation or adding songs. Any "garbage collection" is memory bullshit that would get reset with restarting the game.

If you go looking for help, you'll find there's plenty of people that are complaining about framerate and performance issues past 1.2 and 1.3. With 1.4 and 1.42 poo poo was just limping along with 80-100fps and mirrors disabled, even dropping supersampling didn't help. Once I reverted to 1.3, I got my 120fps back, with mirrors enabled again and higher supersampling. Of course, that's loving fun, because Steam removed the ability to disable game updates, so I have to remember every time I want to play to go into offline mode.

If you care about scores, you should try getting 1.3 to work, if you're up for reverting. They changed hit detection on that version, resulting in better scores.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, that Palm Trees map from Rustic and poo poo like that breaks performance. But simpler maps that worked fine for months still don't manage to reach the previous performance on the latest build? As far as mods go, from what I can tell, most of the modules haven't updated since 1.3, definitely none I'm using. Yet I'm getting this huge performance difference between 1.3 and 1.4 with the same mods, so they're not it either. I don't have CameraPlus installed, either.

What I see tho in 1.4x is when I actually manage to configure things in such that simpler maps reach my desired framerate, at least at the very beginning, as soon I'm hitting blocks, the frame timing graph in fpsVR is having tons of fast spikes and everything jitters.

No idea what they've done, because reinstalls don't fix it here. And apparently not for other people, according to Steam forums and posts on Reddit. I even went through all the different system folders like AppData and ProgramData scrubbing settings and what not. At least you can still download the old 1.3 depot from Steam by dicking around in their dev console. It's just a pain in the rear end to actually use it, with Steam wanting to immediately update it again, unless you're "offline".

I sure hope it isn't some dumbass performance hacks in common code intended for Quest optimization that's firing back.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Figures, now I'm having the same issues with 1.3. That's what I get for opening my mouth. The first four minutes of a 6 minute song, everything works dandy, then it started doing the same poo poo. Right in the middle of it. There wasn't even anything out of the ordinary in that section, effects- or otherwise. Sigh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

^^^ Already tried all that stuff in the past.

I've been poking around with Process Explorer at it. The game spends like 75% of its CPU time in the kernel. Why? It has no business there. This seems to be some bullshit with the Unity Engine, which most VR games on my system are using. Anything else, based on Unreal, whatever else and even Steam Home, they spent not even 10% in the kernel.

Unity is a loving piece of poo poo. Something in Windows 10 1909 is loving with it again. Or rather, it shits itself for god knows what reason.

--edit: I'm getting frame times of up to 20-22ms on a fresh reinstall of Beat Saber. With 1.0 SS and otherwise default settings.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 26, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I said it's spending 75% of its runtime in the kernel. There's no reason for the kernel to be doing three times the work of the game. Unity is throwing the system in a tizzy in some way. I say Unity, because all Unity games are doing it here.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to trace syscalls without installing half a million tools, because on Windows, things have to be complicated. Maybe then I get an answer.

Also, my CPU is a 16-core Threadripper, so there's plenty of room to spare for threads running rampant. Max. core usage is 50-60% when the game runs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

People should use more Unreal engine and less Unity. Latter is loving terrible for performance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gently caress me, I figured my performance issues with Unity out. Goddamn Windows telemetry data collection. It switched to full telemetry due to having had an insider build of Windows 10 installed. As soon as I forced it to basic via gpedit.msc, my frame times were cut in half.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Windows telemetry is goddamn bullshit
Yea, but this is really ridiculous. I wonder what else it did affect that hard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I ran into one of EbolaIvory's videos on Youtube. Song was called Hoohah. I thought it looked doable. I downloaded it. I concluded "I guess not".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pistol Whip is surprisingly exhausting.

It's yet another Unity game, so it should be "easily" moddable, unless the devs went out of their way obfuscating things or their internal APIs are just a confusing mess. On the other hand, these il2cpp references in the directory tree seem to suggest that poo poo got compiled down to native code before distribution.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A bunch of sections in Pistol Whip could certainly be less narrowly packed. Heh.

Also, how can anyone play this with the pants on. Or Beat Saber for that matter. I'm sweating like a pig.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 10, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can you tell when I start playing some more demanding VR games?

Humidity graph

--edit:
Beat haptics is what? Controller vibrating on the beat?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 10, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, I could swear there is a slight delay between bass thumps in the sound and metronome haptics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eonwe posted:

jesus i'm actually sore from playing pistol whip
Same here. My quaaaaaaads. Walking stairs downwards, I'm walking like a duck.

Jack Trades posted:

Am I the only one who likes the Pistol Whip tracks?
They're acceptable at best for me personally. I don't really like that music style, I'm more for electronic music around 120-140bpm with the regular 4/4 beats. The more it sounds like dubstep (or vaporwave or whatever the gently caress is it), the more frowny my face gets. Can't have everything I guess.

I hope the custom song stuff gets somewhere eventually.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It would be nice to have a laser aim mode in Pistol Whip, just like in the menu, so that one can train a bit on the maps and get a handle on the guns to Dead Eye them eventually. Put -50% or no scoring at all on that mode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I read somewhere that on OC6, he seemed to complain that Oculus left a lot of low hanging fruit unclaimed, and that it seemed to irk him. Maybe there's been more going on backstage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Started to play the first rounds on Hard in Pistol Whip. This loving game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a fibre optic cable, it's about as optimized as it can get with near-zero latency.
Fiber optics doesn't mean anything. More so on short distances, because the transceivers are there and introduce their own latencies. IIRC, copper is faster on short distances than fiber because of that. I forgot what the cutoff is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Without the risk of actual physical damage and harm, this is not fun.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose there isn't any 802.11ay hardware yet? That poo poo can supposedly do up to 44GBit/s. I'd rather see them working on wireless links instead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Network jitter is a bigger problem than bandwidth for network. Between your PC and your access point (and possibly switch/gateway), you have a lot of room for a crappy piece of hardware to not be good enough to deliver all the frames on time.
With 802.11ay style hardware, I'd expect them to use it in direct mode, not using any APs. An adapter to plug directly into the graphics card and another for the headset, so it'd run isolated. So long there's no other devices in the room (on the same frequency anyway). That poo poo runs in the 57-71 Gigahertz bands, it won't penetrate walls. So if your neighbor would also use that frequency, (s)he shouldn't affect you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm split on this. While it might be a kick in the balls for non-VR users, the effort they finally managed to bring up to create a game again, I sure would have liked it to have gone more to finishing the goddamn Halflife trilogy.

Then again, there's still the question how much of a game HL:A will be, anyway, in terms of hours of gameplay. Or gameplay itself for that matter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

A 20+ hour HL3:VR launch now would piss off everyone because only ~2% of Steam gamers have VR and most VR equipment is honestly still a generation away from not sucking.
There's no reason why you can't make a game work in both VR and on the flatscreen. Valve should probably pull a funny one by releasing the 2D mode to a potential HL3 around 2-4 weeks later, or some poo poo.

Cicero posted:

Well, that's not what the benchmarks are showing. What data are you looking at?
Throwing more cores into SoCs is a nice way to pad benchmark numbers. Doesn't mean you can efficiency use them. Parallelizing algorithms is hard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have no idea how people dead-eye hard maps in Pistol Whip. Some of the maps pretty much take the wind out of me in shooting gallery mode. I'm old.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a livestream to that HL:A reveal?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

50 bux. Better be a couple of hours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Baron von der Loon posted:

Can anyone with the Knuckles prototype confirm if they've received HL: A? It hasn't popped up in my library yet.
It's supposed to show up right away? The page says in March 2020.

--edit: Oh indeed. I bought it by accident because of not reading the whole product page, got it refunded and it's still listed in my library.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's quite some salt in the Steam discussion section of HL:A. poo poo like "Valve opening themselves to class action suits", because VR-only is apparently discrimination.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I sure hope the release of the game doesn't result in a buy -> negative review -> refund bullshit from salty gamers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I certainly could use gun yaw correction in Pistol Whip. I'm already at -10° for the grip to line up with my Index controller (checking my peeking through the nose opening of the headset), but it also could use like 5° of yaw to the left, because IMO the gun doesn't sit right in that plane. When I use my second hand and apply a constant bend to compensate, I manage to hit a bit more accurately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

--edit: ^^^ Changing the Indexes display brightness to 95% seems to do some good.

I started to watch this and a few minutes in, I fail to see how that's related to any lawsuits.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This is not true VR

Until there are display headsets that can do at least 1000 Hz with almost instant pixel response time and retina resolution that close to our eyes this is sand in our eyes, VR set with display port 1.2 is a joke but i guess that's what valve considers its customers a joke. I hope other digital content distribution platforms arise from your ashes lol.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SirViver posted:

Out of curiosity, can any Index controller owners try lightly tapping them against each other (plastic to plastic contact - it needs to be a hard surface impact) and report whether that causes the tracking to freak out for a second or so? Just wanna make sure this is normal behavior.
I wouldn't be surprised. Impacts will cause spikes on the accelerometers, and largely any controllers do accumulate changes from accels and gyros, with frequent corrections from a reference system (Lighthouse, camera based tracking), because even on short term IMUs do drift.

I'll try to remember to test later when I play some.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The shooting in Pistol Whip seems to be a bit off. That, or the tracers are wrong/delayed. I noticed a bunch of instances where I dead-eye moving targets, the tracers hit them right in the torso but the bullets don't hit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I played Arizona Sunshine up until the mineshaft. I don't want to keep playing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

treat posted:

Index question: can anyone comment on watching movies on the Index, particularly WRT the resolution and the stock headphone quality? Is it worth it? I don't own a TV or large monitor and I'd love to be able to emulate the theater experience with a fat, hot brick strapped to my face.
If you want a large screen experience, it works pretty well. Don't expect the highest resolution, tho. The horizontal resolution is 1440 pixels, and a virtual theater screen typically spans most of it. Minus the overhead for lenses. Ideally you don't have glasses and your headshape allows to pull the lenses close for maximum FOV. Personally I find it plenty acceptable, but I'd still like a 50% resolution boost on both axes eventually.

I watch occasional TV show episodes on it. Gizmo VR is a floating screen. Skybox VR has actual theater geometry, but it requires the motion controllers for controlling it. Bigscreen is also an alternative, it has plenty of settings and seating positions. There's also other players, but I haven't tried them yet.

The three quoted can also deal with 3D movies in varying formats.

--edit: Netflix doesn't work in Bigscreen, but Primevideo does. YMMV.

Shine posted:

I haven't watched movies on it, but the Index has loving superb headphones, better than any headset I've ever owned.
Yeah, I'd love the Index headphones as standalone option.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea I guess Bigscreen is the best option, because it mirrors the desktop (it supports multiple monitors), so you can play about anything, so long it doesn't use DRM like Netflix. That includes games.

It's "Grand Cinema" environment is nice for movie watching. The scenery gets lit by whats on screen, too.

Alternatively, you can pick a living room environment and place your virtual monitors all over the place and do whatever else that way. In that case, for productive stuff, you definitely need more resolution tho for longterm usability.