Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm still thinking what to buy for my Quest, to connect to the PC, if the official Link cable, or a normal cable + action extension cable. Official cable is 90€ :(, the other combination would go for 25€ or so. Although, I still haven't found a good unofficial solution, I would like to have a usbc to usba, with 90º connector and 2 meters of length, so the connection point between both cables is in the floor, but I still haven't seen one in Amazon like that.

Anyone have the official Link cable? Do you think it's recommendable or is it overkill?

I just got my Quest yesterday and picked up the 3m PartyLink Quest cable from Amazon. Had to fiddle with the USB A adapter a bit (for me it was the reverse of the directions) but it seems to work pretty well so far and it was cheap.
Only complaint is that the length is a touch too short since I can't use my front usb port. I'm a bit reticent to try fiddling around with extensions as the official forums seem to be full of people not very satisfied with the stability of their connection.
It seems like if you can stomach the price the official cable is a safer bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Has anyone run into an issue with Quest Link in SteamVR/Alyx where the display stops updating?

Sound is still working, I can see head movement and controllers are working fine on the computer monitor but the Quest display only renders the fixed field of vision at the time it froze. Happens within 1-30 minute of playing Alyx. Haven't had issues in Asgard's or Saints & Sinners with Link, but this is my first game in SteamVR since I switched to Quest. Only way to fix it is to restart SteamVR and the headset. Haven't seen anyone post about this issue in the Steam site, wondering if it's just me or something with the Quest.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I had this happen and the only thing I found online about it said that it was a USB issue. I switched the Link to one of the USB controller ports on the back of my PC and the issue seemingly went away. That said, I haven't played long enough to really notice and any other googling doesn't really lead to any other solutions

Wow, this seems to have worked. Switched to a different port on my mobo. Just played for over an hour with no issues, hopefully it lasts.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bad Munki posted:

Skyrim VR on steam sale for $18, worth it? Having done Skyrim back in the day already, of course.

I really enjoyed it, it's much more immersive in VR. The mods are still fantastic and there are quite a few VR specific mods that help immensely.
Melee is pretty meh in VR as can be expected, but sneaky archer or mage was just fine.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

deadly_pudding posted:

I hadn't thought of it before, but how does the sneaking work in those bethsoft VR ports? Do you have to like squat down like in the originals?

Toggle button that lowers the camera. My knees hurt just imagining having to physically crouch to sneak.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

explosivo posted:

I got my new gpu and it's friggin crazy how much of a difference it makes when you jack up the resolution, even for the Quest 2 which I figured had a pretty low ceiling for what it could achieve graphically. I didn't realize until now just how much I was banging rocks together before w/r/t VR fidelity with my 1070.

Oh and facebook's an evil piece of poo poo! Yeah!!!

That's good to know, I've got a 1070 as well. Been trying to decide if there is even a reason to jump through all hoops and expense of upgrading.
Ordered the new Quest2 yesterday and arrives today. Facebook evil, but those are solid logistics.

Still annoyed that my Quest1 locked itself into a boot loop (from a firmware upgrade? who knows) but most of my games are in the Oculus store, the vendor lock-in is real and I guess I'm not getting out of it.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bloodplay it again posted:

My Rift S took a dump after a recent software update, too. I have babied the unit, never twisting or stepping on the cable, and plugged each cable into the same ports (upgraded from 980 ti to 3080 in October 2020, so different DP port, I guess) since buying it in November 2019. I never had an issue until the most recent software update. Now I get USB errors on the reg that don't seem to actually be a hardware issue. Restarting the Oculus service with Oculus Tray Tool several times eventually fixes without having to reseat cables and remains fixed until I restart the computer.

After my Quest died I went scouring the internet and it really seems like the overall quality of Oculus is declining. Every successive release made my Quest worse until the day it died and it seems the 2 and S are in similar camps. Hoping they turn it around because if Oculus sours people on VR or gets shuttered, it would be a massive blow to VR as a whole.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
The PCVR Oculus store used to be pretty amazing with the sales, but now yes, it's dead.
The Quest store has sales, but they aren't as impressive as PC's store used to be.

Really shows where Facebook is focusing their time and money.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
For as garbage as this presentation is, the form factor of a lighter headset and belt mounted battery and cpu isn't an awful idea. Though without the backstrap this feels like it can't possible block out enough ambient light.

So is the trick with using the phone controller mean that it doesn't have inside-out tracking and is actually using the phones camera to do a jury rigged outside-in?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

EbolaIvory posted:

Its the best game in VR hands down. Yeah, I'm serious about that. Its a real experience, not a fuckin poo poo game with VR mechanics. Also the developer is anal as hell. You should see the things hes done to "make it nicer" or "fix things" that needed no upgrades or fixing.

Been playing it a couple years. No locomotion, use your body. Requires like 2.5m square. You can kinda squeeze in a little smaller but expect to cling to walls.

How well does that play with corded VR? Seems like it really needs to be a native quest app to have that much movement

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Chin Strap posted:

If I want to maximize AirLink performance what is a good barebones Wifi6 router to use? I have a 5ghz one right now but it still hiccups some.

I was just googling this exact topic last week, and it turned out for me just turning on Windows Mobile Hotspot on my PC is best and free. If you are using a wired connection and have a built-in or can buy a Wifi card, just turn that on. It saves a couple network hops and is a completely dedicated VR SID so it feels like possibly the fastest way to Airlink.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

pineapple3k posted:

I got the quest 2 from the black friday recently and if I haven't been banned for using an old facebook account so far, I should be good right? I took the 50$ credit and bought the vive das and am waiting for my prescription lenses to come in. Using this headset with glasses does not seem possible for me, fumbling for the right angle for the headset to actually show something, along with the pain.

I also bought this 15 Ft usb c to c cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9LYNV9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details and it seems to be having trouble connecting to my pc. When I plug in my headset, my pc shows that the device is unrecognizable. I then tried it with my phone and the same thing happened. When I plugged in with the charging cables, everything connected right away. However, I was able to get the link to work after turning it on and off a couple of times, but most of the time it shows as unrecognizable. Is it just a bad cable?

Should I buy a usb a to c cable instead or get a different usb c to c cable? I'm not sure why the cable I bought is not being recognized. My mobo is a B550 F (wifi) which should have a usb c 3.2 (gen 2) port. I know there is also air link, but without the prescription lenses, I can't really test things too much.

Account wise, you should be fine to use an old or idle facebook account. Afaik most problems was with folks making new accounts with fake info and running into FB filters.

USB connectivity is super finicky. Try every port on your system and different cables. Ultimately air link, for me, was less problematic and not having to deal with wires is much nicer anyway. Honestly I find myself preferring native Quest games over messing with PC VR anyway.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

explosivo posted:

Is there a google earth that can run natively on the Quest 2? I might bring this to my parent's for the holidays and that might be a neat thing to show them without making them want to vomit.

Closest I know of is called Wander. But it doesn't have the flight option that Earth has, just teleport, so you will likely not make people vomit.
It is a super nice intro to VR that my in-laws enjoyed this holiday.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

SCheeseman posted:

On the one hand, the Sonic no ethical consumption under capitalism meme.

I mean basically this. Thinking that Facebook is the worst capitalism has to offer is woefully misinformed. It really feels like people rage against tech because the invasion of privacy affects YOU as the consumer, whereas everything else you buy is likely much more problematic ethically but gets a pass because you aren't the one being harmed.

If you just buy a Quest and never buy from their store, you can at least feel like you took money from Zuck's pocket since it's likely sold at a loss.

Inzombiac posted:

Quest 2 should be here by the end of the day. I made a burner FB account but I heard there is a permanent way to sever the need for a FB login. Is that still true?

You will be able to use a Meta account, but I don't think that's live yet. And it's probably basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
All this talk of gait gathering, but you're missing the real data Meta wants. What do most VR games make you do? Why do they use a hot foam band? Why is there a sensor pointed right at your forehead?

I first became aware of it during the physical act of Thrill of the Fight. A profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred. Zuck senses my power, and they seek the life essence. I don't avoid my Quest, but I do deny it my essence.

We can no longer sit back and allow Meta infiltration, indoctrination, subversion and their international conspiracy to sap and harvest data on our precious bodily fluids.