Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Trying to get into Boneworks but am finding my HP Reverb WMR tracking just that bit slow, cumbersome and innacurate enough that is frustrating. It makes me not want to do any actions that involve alot of movement. I miss my old Oculus, which always felt like a natural extension of your hands.

I have access to a Vive Pro, but I expect the wands will probably feel even worse.

Really tempted to buy myself a Quest and a Link for Christmas. Anyone using that with Boneworks and can comment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Hellsau posted:

Are you trying to collect them all with VR headsets or something? Oculus > Vive Pro > HP Reverb and now Quest? What a strange line.

Heh. Yeah, it is. I work as a developer and have made a small number of VR apps, and we have had a rotating pool of various headsets for compatibility. (Well, just those three to be exact.) I also used to own the original DK2 test kits which is where I first got started in this space.

Occasionally I get to muck around with the headsets, like I am with the Reverb currently. It helps my situation to test and understand the various quirks of each. To date, I still think the original Rift gave the best VR experience, mostly based around the Touch controllers. (I have not tried the Index, S or Cosmos).

We're not doing any Quest development (Though I'd love the excuse one day) - So I'm keen to buy one myself, especially if the 'link' cable really does negate the need for a dedicated PC headset. (I'm skeptical it will work perfectly.)

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
So this probably has been asked 100 times, but interested in the goon modern opinion since it's been out for awhile now...

Do you think it's worth getting the 128gb quest over the 64gb? I don't see myself sideloading much movies and media, since I'd probably just stream netflix on the thing - but I can imagine playing a fair few games on it.

64 seems quite low by modern standards.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll save myself the 150 dollarydoos. More money for software and link cables.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

One thing that surprises me is the tracking in low light situations. Usually, if I try to use the Quest when there is already very little light in my room, it warns you of that saying it can't work. But I noticed that, if I start playing near the evening when I still had light from my window, 100 minutes later when I remove the headset I see it was already loving dark and somehow, the 6 dof tracking was trucking along.

Just got a Quest for Xmas. After suffering the WMR for awhile I've been super impressed with the inside out tracking quality of the Quest. It doesn't seem to lose a beat, even in low light.

Now I've got to mentally decide whether to rebuy all my games that I used to have on the Rift with these Xmas sales, or get new ones instead. I already had bridge crew but added the DLC to get the cross buy. Super tempted by superhot even though I have it on Rift.

Is Sariento worth it on the quest? I haven't yet played it on Desktop headsets.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 27, 2019

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
What sort of network hardware are you all running to do this wireless streaming?

I recently moved into a nice big 70s house with double brick walls and gabled ceilings and no easy spaces to run ethernet. The cable into the house is also at the front, nowhere near my computer.

Been thinking of a mesh router system, but not sure if I'm dreaming that it would work well enough to facilitate the latency needed for VR streaming.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say Robo Recall if they're looking for straight pew-pew fun, though I admittedly don't know how good a port the Quest version is. SuperHot VR's more of a puzzle game than shooter, and Pistol Whip's a rhythm game.

I just went through a session of the Quest version and it still runs super smooth and looks great. I definitely could see the missing lighting effects and less sharp resolution, but I wouldn't have noticed had I not spent loads of time on the PC version.

Only weird issue is that they've completely removed explosion particle effects, which looks strange when you throw the crawler bots that explode on impact, as enemies and debris flies around with no obvious fireball effect.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Particles add a lot of extra processing that the Quest just doesn't have.

It's less the particles themselves and more that there is literally no explosion rendered, but you see the results of it. They could swap it out with a animated sprite or something.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just experimented with ALVR streaming. It's pretty impressive how well it works, all things considered. Lots of futsing around to get it working well though. I tried a direct hotspot off my pc as recommended, but got 300+ milliseconds. That wasn't pleasant.

Plugging the PC directly into one of my mesh repeaters though and things were pretty smooth at 70 or so milliseconds. Noticeable, but you could live with it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I just opened Boneworks for the first time in a month and it seems to have no saves at all except for the lobby, which was a bit of a worry since I got to the 3rd level or something.

I was testing it with ALVR on the quest, but it didn't great because the hand placement was completely wrong,as if the hands positions were the virtual forearms.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I was pretty surprised after being so used to the OG Rift and Vive at the weight at the front of the Quest. Still more comfortable than a few of the WMR ones I've used.

I'd still like to get a Deluxe Audio Strap to help distribute the weight and improve the sound, which is pretty good but noticeably not as nice as the original Rift.

More uncomfortable for me was it's propensity to get hot. I don't sweat in VR but I found it noticeably warm and off putting compared to what I'm used to.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Chin Strap posted:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264273847010

Quest would poo poo itself with my mesh router so I got this as a standalone just for the 5ghz band. Works great for that price.

But I personally prefer the link to ALVR/Virtual Desktop. Cable sucks but performance is noticeably better.

I read something about a Side Quest hack that can force your Quest to use 5ghz only, as it often seems to drop / lose authentication on a mesh setup.

Though like you I've been thinking about setting up an old router for a dedicated ALVR setup, as the area of my house ideal for VR has spotty wifi.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I got the other two eps of Vader Immortal as a Quest bonus and I can definitely tell the difference and compromises made, as good as it looks for running on a mobile phone chip. I wish that it had cross-library play.

I wondered why I had all three episodes of Vader. I had bought the first episode way back when it came out on Rift and was thinking I must have accidentally bought a season pass or something. Didn't realise they were given as a Xmas bonus!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

I was talking more a 360º camera-recorded professional videos from one of the video apps, like NextVR. I was watching a video and the people in front of me looked like... being 80 cms tall.

I think those cameras generally are a series of wide angle cameras stitched together and really only work at a certain range from subject. Too close and the wide angle becomes super apparent. Mid range things can look kind of squashed and small.

Things like the vertical position of the camera head probably play a major part too - the video is as tall as the camera head and not everyone is the same height - making them feel weird.

I've never been a real fan of 360 video. It's a cool novelty at first, but the lack of 6dof just feels wierd, and content creation ends up being really long form and boring given it is really hard to make engaging stuff given you can't easily direct focus or cut scenes together...

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
As someone who puts lots of people in headsets for their first time at conventions, I find lots of people who feel immediately weird is due to the perception going into it. I actively avoid mentioning anything about motion sickness - because chances are if you're thinking it - it will happen. Those who don't even think of it tend to be just fine.

This is for short bursts however. I only notice it myself after being in VR for a long time, or if something that is performing terribly.

Which is one of the biggest issues for VR adoption, as there's alot of really lovely demos out there from engineering or architectural companies trying to show off they're innovative - but aren't game designers/ modellers and don't understand the need to optimise their content. So you get some really simple looking environments that are crazy high poly and run at bad frame rates, which if it is someones first experience with VR doesn't leave a good impression or leave them wanting more.

It's either that, or someone gives them a Google cardboard roller coaster vomit comet demo and that colours their opinion going forward.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
We need to organise some Goon led games.

I'm constantly amazed by multiplayer in VR - but feel completely out of place in games that are either populated by obnoxious kids or by stoners struggling to put a sentence together.

Or in the case of Poker Stars - never say a word.

Does any one still play bridge crew? The couple of times I've booted it up the games seemed empty.

From memory when I first played it you needed to wait around a bit for people to join after finishing another game - but drat is that hard to do with a VR helmet on your head and nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs on the meantime.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Kamrat posted:

That would be in the middle of the night for eurogoons

Yeah... 2pm for me here in Australia, so I'll have to sit that one out :(.

drat it, why aren't I an unemployed uni bum anymore?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I finally finished Vader immortal episode 3, after getting the series with the quest. I dug the Star Wars of it all, but was getting pretty bored with the 'stand as people talk to you' parts of the series, though I liked Maya Rudolph bot. Finally fighting stormtroopers felt great, and having a blaster in one hand and a saber in the other was awesome, as short as it lasted.

I decided to spend some time in the Dojo, after only experimenting with it in the first one. Don't know if it's the added room of the Quest in my living room with a lack of wires that lets me get my inner Star Wars kid on, but I had an absolute blast leaping around like a madman, force grabbing people with one hand and pulling them into my Saber on the right.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

nnnotime posted:

Has anyone tried the REAL mod for GTA V? It looks pretty intense. Does it work with the latest Valve and Oculus headsets? Can they also make a similar mod for Red Dead Redemption 2?

Mod downloads/code page:
https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

Video demonstrating the REAL mod in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QD_ggjrK8

Man, this looks awesome, but doing a bit of reading it appears that each eye renders out of sync - i.e they're one frame out from each other. Sounds like it was a necessary hack to get VR working. Hopefully more work on it continues and they can fix that. Motion controller support would be incredible!

Part of me thinks that Rockstar put all that work onto the first person mode back in release ahead of VR headsets anticipating eventually porting it, and perhaps La Noire was a proof of concept - but their experience with having to recreate lots of locomotion and other custom mechanics in LA Noire and the lower attach rate of headsets and required computing power probably made them bullish about it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Boba Pearl posted:

I read the OP and I still don't understand the difference between the Rift S and the Oculus Quest, and which one I would want. I read a PC gamer article and it said that the Quest doesn't work with steam only a weird android store?

Probably confusing the matter is the Quest is it's own standalone unit with its own standalone 'portable' VR ecosystem.

Since release there's been an 'official' way to make it work with a PC and the PC VR ecosystem, via the oculus link cable. This is probably not reflected in alot of early reviews and guides.

This makes it an easy recommendation, because it can easily do both.

There's some advantages to the Rift S, like the higher frame rate and more comfortable design, but the ease of use and compatibility of the Quest makes it a much easier recommendation.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

I already have the cable setup for Link, but even then I'm thinking getting Virtual Desktop as the dev says next version he will support Oculus games directly, no need of Revive+SteamVR. There is a number of somewhat slow games where I think the extra latency won't matter. For just $20...

You can experiment with ALVR. I haven't tried virtual desktop, but found ALVR pretty reliable and great for lots of things.

I am getting 70ms delay, which whilst works pretty good, is noticable on games like Boneworks.

How's the latency on link?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Saw there's a discount on Endspace and Ultrawings pack on Quest if you get them together. I was eyeing off Endspace after the Dev posted a survey to understand what parts of Tie Fighter people liked, and Ultrawings looks kind of neat.

Any Goon opinions? I like the idea of spaceshooters and flightsims, but have literally no free time, which makes things like elite dangerous and DCS an inpossibility. (Not to mention needing the PC power).

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I've been really impressed with the quest's ability to remember places, even in multiple lighting conditions and time of day, but it can be a bit frustrating using it in my very small study, which I like to use for most non movement stuff like web browsing, poker, Star Trek etc.

The 'stationary' boundary is too small and pops up with the guardian entirely too often for my liking. I'd like to make it half a meter wider. If I use roomscale, often if I get to close to my narrow desk with its adjacent white wall or look down, it tends to kill the tracking, often booting me out of whatever I was rinning to create a new guardian.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

RandomBlue posted:

Was playing Poker Stars last night and som
eone at the table fell asleep / passed out with the HMD on and was snoring pretty heavily. We tried for a while to wake him up but eventually he got kicked after about 20 minutes. Wish I could've been there to watch him wake up with it on and no idea WTF is happening.

I remember once going into a otherwise silent game with some kid who clearly didn't realise his mic was on and was just announcing all his hands out loud to his mother, who clearly did not give a poo poo. At first I thought this must be some A class mind game he was playing, but no.

It was hilarious seeing everyone else on the table exchange bewildered glances at each other and take advantage of it.

My favourite thing about VR is just how incredible it is to have these weird human interactions where you can see someone's arms and head movements. So many subconcious things you pick up on being in a physical space with others that you wouldn't otherwise in most online chats.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

New ALVR version

Ah, dang. I just bought Virtual Desktop specifically because of ALVR funky controller offsets.

Ah well, VD is much more plug and play and (seemingly) has better latency in my limited testing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

That is amazing. I wonder how much it is actually pulling of the original game files to emulate and how much is just a straight up recreation in Unity. I'm guessing the latter, but it would be nice to be wrong.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

SCheeseman posted:

Lucasarts have generally been pretty friendly towards game engine reverse engineering projects...

Unfortunately that Rogue Squadron fan remake was shut down a couple of months ago, which doesn't bode well for this.

After this and Stage 9 (Star Trek VR) shutdown last year, makes me glad to have played lots of mods and total conversions around the early 2000s before companies cared about this stuff.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I've been playing Alyx with smooth locomotion, and I feel like without it you'd miss so much of the in-depth tailored detail they've put into every nook and cranny of that game.

Most traditional first person shooters games it'd be a wasted effort, since the player will blast through everything that isn't a tailored set piece at 300 miles per hour, as is those games design. But the ammo / collectible mechanic really rewards you to poke around and adds to the atmosphere of these being lived in spaces.

Restraining the locomotion to such a slow pace, though jarring at first also really gives the game a wonderful slow sense of pacing and creeping dread. Some of my most intense experiences have been approaching a blind corner or slowly opening a door and peering behind, scared out of my wits at what might be behind it.

The few times I've actually used the teleport have been backtracking through a cleared space I've been before to return to a gun builder, when the limited pace was frustrating. Funny enough in those situations the rapid teleporting spins me out a bit.

I'm pretty much always fine with the smooth locomotion, provided I'm physically turning around to drive my direction - but trying to use the controls to rotate either frustrates me (snap turns are always degrees off where I want to be), or instantly trips me out (smooth turning).

If I could make one improvement I'd make the smooth locomotion movement slowly ease off to a slow stop, simulating a very slight momentum. As it is it stops abruptly the moment you release the button which is pretty jarring. Admittedly this is on the vive wands, which only have the sucky trackpads.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I have to add that echo arena is incredible. I loved it on the Rift but never had the space to do it justice. I took the Quest beta outside the other day and ran around in my backyard the other day and had an absolute blast.

Speaking of exercise, I see that there's a duo pack at the moment for BoxVR and Racket:NX - basically both for half price.

Any impressions on either? Is it worth it for someone who likes the idea of using the quest for some exercise - but is mostly interested in doing so with games because I'm really a lazy slob at heart.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Combat Pretzel posted:

So Echo Arena is pretty much the training chamber from the Ender's Game movie?

--edit:
n-thing BoxVR.

I like to think of it as zero gravity frisbee basketball.

The best part about it is you start a match by being launched into the arena by a cannon. And if you hold onto other players being launched, you can use your momentum to launch yourself off them mid launch and go even faster. This ends up in a massive scrap on the middle where the disc spawns.

Really excited for the Quest release.

Caved in and bought the BoxVR / Racquet Pack. Spend half an hour or so on BoxVR and enjoying so far. Definitely worked up a sweat at least. Now I think I just need to study proper boxing form.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

rage-saq posted:

The index audio doesn’t compete with other headsets audio, it competes with $300+ audiophile headphones.

Ooh this has me intrigued now. The original Oculus Rift had amazing sound / 3D positional audio, and every headset I've tried since (Rift S, quest, a few WMR, vive / vive pro) have not lived up to it.

I know binaural audio was considered a major part of the experience in the early oculus dev days and over the years it appears to be less and less important.

Admittedly the QOL of the quest's audio strap things being able to hear what's going on in the world around you is fantastic.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

deep dish peat moss posted:

so I have PSVR but it's annoying to set up and tear down and heavy and I'm kind of tired of the selection of games. Is there significantly more that I can do (game or experience wise) with an Oculus Quest, or would the main difference be in image quality and portability/comfort? Most of the highly recommended Quest games are ones I've played on PSVR already

I'm trying to decide between a standalone VR platform or a non-VR gaming pc to tide me over during quarantine. I haven't had a PC since August and I sort of prefer it this way

Without a PC and link to get the best of all worlds, I'd say it's mostly the latter of your statements. It's not providing much new in the way of an experience, but the ease of use, portability and accessibility to just pick the thing up and get going with something in less than a minute is huge, and for me, a busy dad with young kids and a busy job, VR went from a thing I did every couple of weeks when the moon's aligned the children were asleep and I could neglect the wife to have the time needed to set everything up and ensure it was working right - to being a once every couple of days thing.

I'm pretty much exclusively Quest now.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just noticed another duo deal today for Quest.
Superhot VR and Space Pirate Trainer. There's also a slight discount on each if you buy them soley.

I'm tempted as Superhot is incredible, but I've been holding off since I already own it on Rift. Have yet to play space pirate trainer.

:edit: only about a $8 au difference in cost. Pretty lame sale actually.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 26, 2020

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The thing about the Quest (and VR in general) at it's current stage it is it really lends itself to short, repeatable experiences, or multiplayer.

The budgets for the kinds of grand games with long, immersive stories that people are used to on PC and console are out of reach for most developers budgets and as such are very slow between releases.

As someone whose played a million games in my lifetime and generally gets bored easy once I've seen all of the mechanics, I often find myself looking for the next thing. Especially with how time poor I am with a demanding job and kids.

It took me awhile to shift my mindset back into the games I already have and retry levels to get better scores, improve my runs or use them to stay fit. But I've had a great time doing so.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm USA and getting the same error.

My guess is that was an oops, and it got yanked for now.

Ah glad it's not just me. I was super excited to hear about it on the quest then couldn't find anything else on the internet about it other than this post.

Any idea on a release date?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Mean, Tetris Effect is awesome. I'm glad I somehow managed to avoid watching any videos of it over the last couple of years it's been available on other platforms, because it really was a cool discovery trip losing myself in a lounge chair late at night with decent headphones thumping away.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Martytoof posted:

Is there any kind of sideload I can install on my Quest to let it share the media library via Twitter posts rather than my Facebook wall?

I know, locked ecosystem, I’m shocked.

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of native Facebook / Messenger integration into the Quest. As someone who's family and friends all use Messenger it'd be kind of neat to have a virtual wall pop up with notifications and the ability to reply.

Though I get that would be absolutely something a very vocal minority would absolutely despise, so maybe not.

There was a fun feature in the original rift on release where you could video call someone on messenger and you'd be a avatar in 3D space, with some drawing tools and props to muck about with. It was a fun novelty apart from the fact I never video called anyone - though now there's covid it'd be fun to revisit.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I swear in the last few months the Quest has gotten more updates, features and huge quality of life improvements than the original Rift did over its entire lifespan.

In short, this is awesome.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

rage-saq posted:

Rift S / Quest / Vive DAS / Vive Pro / etc are all *terrible* for various reasons.

The Vive Pro for some reason has two seperate audio devices appear as playback devices when you have the headset, 'HTC Vive Pro' and 'Vive Pro Mutimedia' - and no, that's not a typo.

It always seems to be a crapshoot on whether it will actually work or not, and the typo on a multi thousand dollar headset drives my ocd nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Finally experimented with Oculus Link today and gave it a test after using Virtual Desktop for awhile.

It's definitely sharper - I can see the compression artifacts quite clearly in virtual desktop in dark scenes, and couldn't notice it at all in

Alyx seemed a little choppy on the tracking no matter what I did, but all other titles I tried seemed pretty smooth. Latency seemed about the same, which is a testament to virtual desktop.