Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I wish the pass through didn't fade to black over a certain distance/time out of your zone. Its just too long to get me from the pc to the lounge, even though creepily it can tell exactly where my pc zone is, and track it through the ceiling.

I've found so far that ALVR is a little better video quality wise than air link, though I haven't seen if games like skyrim vr make the video compression poo poo itself, and I've not done a side by side latency test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Enderzero posted:

Yeah but you specifically want Anker with Power Delivery. Keeps the quest from discharging at all while you play. Don’t get the redux it’s more money for no gain.
I don't think the Q2 actually has the power delivery standard hardware in it - I have a 10,000mAh (non-pd) anker battery that puts out 2.4 amps and that already is more than the 5 volt 2 amps rated power draw as written on the headset, under the left strap fastener. I could be wrong, but it should have other voltages and higher amperages written there if it were to activate the PD standard, or some other similar charging feature. The actual power draw and battery state of the Q2 can be deceptive, since it'll sometimes run the first 20% of internal battery down before pulling from the external, but just today it kept itself at 99% immediately after a charge and just pulled straight from the external bank. I've always had a good 6+ hours of play from this non-pd spec bank, and it's always been drained first.

Oh! and if any of you are shopping for a powerbank, don't trust the mAh rating on some of the no-name batteries. They're ususally far too good to be true.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 4, 2021

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It's been working about the same for me, which is to say i forget it exists until i plug in some headphones or a power cable and it thinks that is me double-tapping :v: Yeah, i find the ol' "i just said something smart" gesture the most reliable

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm told the q2 controllers have much better battery life but I still just use some decent quality rechargeable AAs and get 2ish weeks of heavy use out of them. Ikea LADDAs are basically eneloops for 75% the price, here in Europe at least.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
The Subnautica UI is really badly integrated (i have to close one eye sometimes just to focus on it), and having to look directly up to swim to the surface quickly starts to really be a PAIN IN THE NECK HA HA because you do it all the time, but the immersion still feels really cool. I'm pretty resilient to VR giving you strange feelings, and the flat game when i played it didn't have as much of an effect as it seemed to on other people, but it's probably the strongest heebiejeebies i've felt from a VR experience yet

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Holy crap, an actual way to play old lightgun games in VR. I didn't even know anyone had done that yet but my quest just got twice as useful to me

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I gave EmuVR a quick try with the lightgun stuff, it's awesome in that it's the only way i've seen to do emulated lightgun games in VR, but i'm not a fan of the focus of nostalgia-bathing instead of convenience, making you physically arrange consoles and hook them up and put in games. Just wireless streaming through oculus, there was some overshoot in the motion detection so it was hard to really feel 1:1 with shooting the screen, but it's really close. I'm gonna try with a few different streaming options and settings at some point. There seems to be ways to save room setups but i'd rather just have a simple, streamlined interface with the option for a full 3d experience. Still gonna try some netplay and goof around with friends another day though.

Considering it's free and a beta that works, 10/10

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 25, 2021

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I definitely get the 'black screen but hear games' situation when i'm launching a steamVR game from Oculus Link, but it works okay once i've manually started steamVR, even launching the games from the link desktop. ALVR is a working, free solution for streaming steamVR stuff directly as well, you have to sideload an APK but it's lightweight and effective in my experience. No idea about the intermittent cutting out.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
e:nvm

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Is everyone getting absolutely crazy, self-feeding visual artifacts with AirLink on Q2 sometimes? You can clear it by just moving your head 90 degrees quickly, but you can also reproduce it really easily: Look at any somewhat noisy and still image (trees in skyrim for example, or just a 2d picture of real life) and turn your head a few degrees back and forth, the noise turns into black and white lines, which then turn into complete RGB noise. It's like the codec never gets a 'keyframe', it just feeds itself with whatever the last image was and you get those nightmare melting person gifs, but in glorious, different-for-each-eye 3d

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, but I've had buffering issues on AirLink where everything freezes for however many seconds, then it fast forwards through everything to catch up again, so it's apparently able to cache a significant number of frames while it's trying to sort itself out. Maybe your issue is related?
Could be! Though when mine buffers, the Q2 itself just drops wifi entirely, like some other people seem to get, if anything the artefacting happens more often in smooth gameplay. I've got an archer c9, which is only ac and not AX, but i've also had probably a month of it not happening when it was new :shrug: Wired doesn't seem to have the problem, but i can see the 'stretching' of the previous frame when i turn quickly there and not on the wireless fireless.

sup new page, go get a free gasket if you aint

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 28, 2021

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Leathal posted:

This happened to me all the time on v28-29 but I haven’t noticed it recently. I could make it go away for a bit by switching between Fixed and Dynamic Bitrate inside AirLink or restarting the PC. Not sure if it got fixed by an Oculus/Nvidia update but make sure both of those are up to date.

Also I kinda suspect NiceHash could have been my culprit because it happened all the time whenever I didn’t restart the PC after closing out NH. Haven’t bothered at all with buttcoin for a month or two which coincides with my encoder problem disappearing. Obviously if you don’t run NiceHash ignore this last part but it really seemed suspiciously linked to the problem so I thought I’d mention it.
Oh poo poo, nicehash might well be the ticket, it causes all kinds of weird, silent, non-fatal glitches - and yeah, changing or fixing bitrate would chase it off for a while. I'm on a 1080ti and AFAIK up to date on both that and oculus. I'll give it a test and let you know.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Post up if you figure out how to uninstall NiceHash because I’m in the exact same boat as you down to the model of gpu and I don’t see an uninstall option for NiceHash :ohdear:
There should be an uninstaller program in C:\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\Programs\NiceHash Miner, if that's not there or doesn't do it then i'unno.

edit: had a quick half hour of VR after a reboot earlier today with no issues, not certain yet though. I also haven't compared miner open but stopped vs miner closed, for scientificity

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 31, 2021

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Squiggle posted:

Pistol Whip rules. It does something to my brain.
It's the perfect excuse to act a complete fool and i take it every time. I can't wait for stronger official mod support, which, come to think of it, might be a consideration with quest vs pc. Pictured below: me, playing pistol whip

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 6, 2021

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Not exactly, their discord FAQ says custom songs are on their radar and they link to a modding discord, so hopefully once they're in a groove they can focus on that sorta secondary stuff.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
A decent headstrap and good weight distribution are probably the biggest factors, given you're upright and facing horizontally most of the time. You really feel the Q2's weight on the default strap, and apparently using a battery as a counterweight helps a lot.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

njsykora posted:

If you want to talk Facebook's evils, talk about the new Quest dashboard where nothing's clearly labelled, Air Link is behind the battery meters and the settings menu is in the apps list.
Unlabelled, non-standardised icons are a cardinal sin of UX and anyone comitting it need to be publicly flogged, i don't care what the industry considers acceptible. Microsoft are awful about this with Xbox on PC stuff too.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

After my Quest died I went scouring the internet and it really seems like the overall quality of Oculus is declining. Every successive release made my Quest worse until the day it died and it seems the 2 and S are in similar camps. Hoping they turn it around because if Oculus sours people on VR or gets shuttered, it would be a massive blow to VR as a whole.
Obviously you hear about the bad much more than the good, but from the outside, with things like the unchanged UI in Airlink, it feels like Oculus does the google/valve/silicon valley thing where something gets a really lopsided amount of care and improvement because it's not a hot flashy prestige feature, even if it's important to making a better product.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It shouldn't come up here, but by default discord also doesn't transmit when you're focused on a program that has admin rights in windows unless it's also run as admin, worth checking that too.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

njsykora posted:

There's also Viveport on PC which works with the Quest over Link. I think you can get a free trial of Infinity (basically VR Game Pass) when you sign up which is great for playing a bunch of games you might not've paid full price for.
Does anyone have any solid recommendations for games for infinity? Because a LOT of the catalog is broken or buggy games from 2016-17 that remind me of steam greenlight more than gamepass

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

BrainDance posted:

Is there some kind of big list of VR ports and mods out there? Other than googling "game name vr mod" for everything I think might be neat in VR?
I'd be interested in that too - i've found one or two places like http://www.flat2vr.com <- this discord that seemed to be advertising itself using a youtube video - but it's still fairly dispersed it seems.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Outer Wilds is a really awesome experience in VR and translates almost perfectly. GTA5 is really really cool to play around in but doesn't really add to the gameplay imo, and doesn't use motion controls which is a dealbreaker for some, but i loved it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
If you've got a good working setup its totally fine, though latency can depend on your network and software setup to a surprising degree. I don't have a dedicated router and the delay is still under 50ms, which feels almost instant