Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Link Beta is live but currently limited to a handful of Nvidia GPUs so please post trip reports for the AMD idiots like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

SCheeseman posted:

I should probably add links to stores that sell those lens inserts to the OP, but I don't wear glasses so I know jack poo poo about all that. Anyone got any experience with them?

I'm very happy with these 3d printed magnetic lens inserts from this Etsy shop - if you have access to a 3d printer there's a direct link to the file on Thingiverse somewhere on that page.

The inserts are designed to fit the lenses from a specific ultra-barebones pair of glasses from Zenni Optical (~$10+ depending on prescription strength/lens coatings/etc) so scratches/prescription changes are nbd. Downside is that the magnetic clasp probably makes these inserts a little more bulky than others, but I think the tradeoff is worth the convenience for sure.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
How do you stop/deal with VR “hat hair”?

Hooking up a battery bank as a counterweight on my Quest has finally made it more or less comfortable to wear, but the added weight means I get a sick reverse Mohawk strip from the top strap if I play for anything longer than ten minutes.

Wearing a ball cap backwards works but cancels out the benefits of the counterweight since the brim acts as a shelf for the battery pack. Beanies are too hot. Using a t-shirt as a bootleg durag has worked the best, but it looks loving ridiculous and isn’t exactly comfortable.

Would something like the Vive DAS be a solution or should I wait for one of those Kickstarter halo straps to get released?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Hahah holy poo poo I have a widows peak that I tried pushing out of the way of the strap once and ended up with with the exact same double fang lookin bangs lol

Though tbh the Carrey-coif would look better on my giant potato head than either a buzz cut or long hair. Thanks for the style advice thread

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Cool, I’m glad VR streaming tech is getting some more attention. Using Shadow to stream PCVR wirelessly (Mac owners lol) has been fantastic but I’m fortunate to have very low latency to the CA data center along with a good router and fiber internet.

I could see Facebook taking a stab at this with a Quest successor down the line; they certainly have enough data centers around the world to optimize latency and the local WiFi network bottleneck could be solved by selling an optional dongle or whatever.

Doubt it’ll be possible to stream stuff like BeatSaber E+ maps, but I’ve been very happy with less twitchy games.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

AndrewP posted:

Huh. SteamVR and Steam games work for me, but when I try to do Oculus games it can't detect a headset.

Check the Games tab inside the virtual desktop hud. It should have picked up all your Oculus/SteamVR games and you launch it from there.

You can also right click on the VD icon in the windows notification area and use the inject game option to manually pick the game’s executable if all else fails.

That last bit is how you can force supported Steam games to launch in Oculus mode instead of OpenVR btw. It’s pretty clunky but if it works you CAN more or less automate the injection by making a shortcut to the VD streamer and then adding the path to your game at the end of the shortcut’s path to the streamer. Useful for stuff like DolphinVR.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is finally out on SideQuest. Ported to VR by the same dude who did HL1, Quake, Doom but he really did a particularly amazing job with this one. Almost feels like an official release minus some jank in the menus. And wow is it pretty for a standalone Quest title.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

Ars says the weight savings is almost entirely due to the much shittier head strap, the new controllers have fewer IR tracking dots, more light leak, single panel IPD adjustment is Bad, battery life is crap.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Lemming posted:

I would take this review with a grain of salt, it includes some inaccurate information:

You can see in this Tested video that the number of IR lights is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x6lux6f_6g&t=988s

Thanks for this, that specific part of the Ars review was a deal killer for me. All the other negatives fall into the manageable-via-Frankenquest category except maybe the single panel but my IPD matches one of the three selectable options.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
So apparently Prime Day has spooked Best Buy into doing an “early Black Friday” promotion on Tuesday.

I changed my schedule this week so I could pick up my Q2 before work - I really hope fake rear end Black Friday crowds don’t gently caress this up for me.

No chance of them ringing me out at close on Monday right?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Turin Turambar posted:

in experimental features you can enable the 90hz... just for the OS and tv.

You can also force 90Hz for everything by running the following adb command and then hitting the power button twice to toggle the screen off and back on:

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.refreshRate 90

Works GREAT so far, haven’t run into the guardian bug Carmack was talking about yet.

Edit: also if you have prescription inserts from the Q1, they also work perfectly on the 2. Weirdly, it doesn’t seem like you can/need to snap off the stock lens clips like on the first one.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Biggest downside for the Q2 so far has been the FoV issue when you’re at the highest IPD setting. There’s a very noticeable abrupt vertical slice on both sides where the physical screen ends. Weirdly, it’s only visible in peripheral vision, if you try to focus on the right or left sides it disappears. Somehow this makes it even more annoying like trying to track down a fruit fly you saw out of the corner of your eye.

Fortunately my IPD is 67 so I can sort of wedge the IPD slider between 2-3 without getting a headache. This fixes the visible screen edge problem.

But I’d be very careful buying this thing if you’re at or above 68 IPD, the screen edge is much more noticeable and aggravating than the reviews made it sound.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Turin Turambar posted:

Quick and dirty test for 'modded Quest 2', just 3 velcros. Comfort is improved, although still inferior to modded Quest 1. I think it's because I'm putting the straps too tight, trying to compensate the lack of 'cusp' on the back of the head.

I can’t even find a good place to mount a battery pack on the Elite strap. You’re stuck with either putting it right on top of the adjustment dial (lol) or on the cupped bottom half of the rubber head grip thing which feels really unstable.

Guess I’m waiting for a 3D printed battery holder or something. At least the Elite strap is way more comfortable than the stock Q1 strap - still needs a little more counterweight but definitely a big improvement.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Dunno if this is related to the forced 90hz mode (not seeing it mentioned anywhere else) but there’s some sort of memory leak that results in a barf-tastic slowdown after the headset’s been in standby for 10-ish hours. Device feels very warm to the touch as well.

Happened to me once yesterday and returned after sitting on the charger all night. Gonna leave it in 72hz mode today and see if that fixes things.

Also while trying to search for others with the same problem I found a Reddit thread claiming the Q2 can do 120hz just by changing the 90 to 120 in that adb command :allears:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Anybody else getting a pretty noticeable fan buzz while using their Q2?

Started yesterday and doesn’t stop even when the Quest isn’t under load. That said, it doesn’t seem to get worse under load either.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
I’m a couple pages late for SideQuest recommendations but still want to plug Descent Alps. It’s a very WIP downhill skiing game but it’s free and the core movement mechanics are great.

Edit: this YouTube review covers it pretty well and clarifies some gameplay stuff that’s a bit poorly explained in the tutorial.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOp_stIMCf0&

Leathal fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 19, 2020

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
I posted about my Quest 2 having a bit of fan noise last week and last night I got a System Error warning about the fan. Welp

Taking it back to Best Buy tonight but I think this is a sneaky plan by the Zuck to force me into a 256 model since my store is apparently out of 64s.

Edit: huh, apparently Best Buy has an extended return period ending on Jan 16th for purchases made starting Oct 13th (ie: Q2 launch day). Convenient!

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have a list of good seated , controller based games?

I greatly enjoyed Subnautica in VR but you need a surprisingly beefy system and a handful of VR quality of life mods. The various leviathans (or whatever they’re called) are scary as gently caress in VR.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2020

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Worst Things About Myst VR:
1) No easy way to write clues down
2) Early 2000s children’s cartoon CGI Sirius and Achenar

Apparently they’re adding an in-game note taking system with an update so maybe it’s worth holding off a bit if you’re not down with nose hole note taking.

Guess Cyan lost the source video files because the narration sounds like it was ripped from the original game, compression artifacts and all.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

sdasdas posted:

I've been reading the thread sporadically and I haven't seen this discussed - is the upgrade from Quest 1 to Quest 2 worth it if you're using it for PCVR via virtual desktop? I have a 5G router and VD has been flawless for me with Quest 1, my only complaint is the screen door effect with the headset. It's not the end of the world but I can consistently see it, even in detailed games like HL: Alyx or Boneworks. Hearing that it's virtually non-existent in Quest 2 with the higher resolution makes me very tempted to upgrade. Going from 72Hz to 90Hz would be a nice bonus as well.

Screen door effect is all but gone on the Q2 - recently charged up my Q1 to wipe for sale and the difference is extremely noticeable. I can’t comment on the refresh rate because I’m one of those weirdos who can’t really tell the difference and don’t get sick playing VR even at like 45 FPS.

My second favorite upgrade (after the screen) is actually the controllers. They feel great, zero issues with batteries coming loose, and the battery life increase is nuts.

Got my Q2 on launch day and probably averaged out 1-2 hrs per day since then - have replaced the controller batteries ONCE and the second set is still going strong. How they went from battery life measured in hours to apparently weeks is wizardry to me.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Finally decided to throw some stimulus bucks at building a real gaming PC so I can ditch Shadow (which has gotten increasingly worse thanks to Buttcoin apparently being profitable enough to justify getting banned for TOS violations).

Surprisingly, it’s not THAT much better of an experience compared to cloud VR at its best outside of fast movement stuff like Beatsaber. It’s a lot more consistent and I can crank up graphics more but otherwise my experience playing something like Alyx is mostly comparable. No Mans Sky is a huge disappointment since it’s still a jittery piece of poo poo.

But I finally can play GTA 5 VR and wow is it cool.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Between the new anti-anti-logging stuff in the v25 firmware, the extra RL verification requirements to get a dev account for side loading that took effect the beginning of this month, and the introduction of App Lab as an “official alternative” to SideQuest - I seriously recommend EVERYONE with a Quest hedge against Facebook fuckery by disabling the update service, side loading an android file manager with install permissions, and (if you’re really paranoid) install that third party app launcher that can be launched by holding down the volume button (I forget the name but will edit it in when I’m not mobile). Also buy Virtual Desktop and install the PCVR patch.

In theory, doing the above will mostly protect your device from being locked down as the most Facebook can do currently without pushing a firmware update is lock you out of Unknown Sources. If you already have that launcher and file manager side loaded, you can still install and launch apks even if you get locked out of dev mode. Technically they can also lock you out of Link which is why I suggest buying VD and patching it while you can if you want to future proof PCVR access.

Yes this is all very paranoid but lol it’s Facebook

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Or a new lease on life for Virtual Desktop.

Haven’t looked at the videos yet (at work) but if it’s anything close to the old way it turns the quest into a piracy/side loaded only machine. Virtual Desktop will fail the entitlement check (and hasn’t been cracked to my knowledge).

Maybe Link will work but I’m not holding my breath.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Quest 2 v28 firmware: https://vrdiscord.com/10000000_199590601735813_1333856360172557081_n.zip

Flash at own risk etc etc got it off Reddit and can’t flash it myself until I get home

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Great now I have that “work your body” song from the 1080 lodge stuck in my head

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

SCheeseman posted:

Yes, IMO it's one of the best VR games around. Though if you can play it on PCVR instead it's a bit better there.

Yeah, graphically it feels extremely pared down with muddy textures and slowdowns (although to be fair I haven’t touched the Quest version since launch week so it might have gotten better with patches).

I might be imagining this but I’m pretty sure the PCVR version has more interactable drawers and cabinets too - I distinctly remember thinking “wtf half the drawers in here don’t open” when digging around in that kitchen for the beignet/gumbo/whatever recipe

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Looks like AirLink is definitely present but not enabled in v28. You can enable it yourself if you want to jump through some hoops.

1) Be on v28 on both the desktop app and Quest firmware
2) Extract this zip to Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources
2.5) If you don't want to copy over sketchy stuff from GDrive, the guy who posted it explains how to edit it yourself
3) Confirm AirLink shows up in Oculus desktop and enable it
4) Connect your Quest via USB and approve the connection (can skip this if you've done this before), disconnect USB
5) Get your Quest and PC IP addresses, pop open PowerShell in a folder that has a copy of adb and run the following:

./adb connect QUEST_IP_ADDRESS
(Get-NetTCPConnection -OwningProcess (Get-Process -Name OVRServer_x64).Id -State Listen).LocalPort (use the number this spits out for the port in the next command)
./adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d "xrstreamingclient://PC_IP_ADDRESS:PORT_FROM_PREV_STEP" com.oculus.xrstreamingclient

Edit: Stuttering seems to be related to having custom bitrates/resolutions set in ODT - setting it to 0/auto fixed it for me

One particularly interesting thing is that somebody got this working on a Quest 1 and it didn’t seem to perform any worse than what others are reporting on the Q2.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2021

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Official AirLink next week per Oculus support.

Also if you did the thing above to add the AirLink option for the desktop app: give static IPs to your Quest and your PC and then sideload this apk (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1oKBpycy59pnPO-dxfJKXPwFZFyJo10XJ) for ez one click launching.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly it’s nice to have both VD and airlink as an option. I’m sure they’ll each have their niche for a while

Definitely. VD is still the way to go for playing pancake games imo and the built in SBS 3D mode is great for games that support it and stuff like Dolphin. Tomb Raider maxed out in SBS 3D is really cool.

That said, since AirLink came out my primary use for VD has been opening the Oculus app so I can get into AirLink.

Getting to use OpenComposite wirelessly with the Bethesda VR games is so good. Gained a good 20 FPS with FO4 and it seems more stable to boot.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Here’s a neat little unintentional sneak peek into where Oculus is going with the whole Infinite Office thing - and fortunately it doesn’t force you to buy an $85 keyboard from 7 years ago to use it.

https://github.com/basti564/vrLauncher/releases

Sideload the latest apk from here and launch “passthrough portal” from the giant intent list (near the bottom). Carve out a bigger-than-you’d-assume slice over your keyboard - it uses the same UI as “bring your desk/couch/toilet into VR mode” but it’s pretty buggy if you draw it to scale in my experience.

Works best with a dark colored keyboard and you only need to do it once and then it sticks through reboots as far as I can tell.

Honestly still can’t see myself using this for actual work, but hearing a Discord notification in VR and being able to walk over towards my desk and have it magically show up with a visible keyboard to type a response really hits that “welcome to the future” feeling.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

.Ataraxia. posted:

I have not tried this, but it was the best I could find when I was doing some light searching the other day. FO4VR modding seems to be nowhere near as advanced as SkyrimVR unfortunately.

Yeah that’s the current “best” FO4VR mod list.

I put best in quotes because on the one hand it’s literally the best mod pack for getting a stable roll up of the best performance/visuals/immersion stuff. It also has a couple unique author created mods that address game mechanics that worked fine in pancake but are annoying as hell in VR.

On the other hand, the author is highly opinionated about how she likes to play Fallout in VR and refuses to release a vanilla version so you’re gonna be stuck in Survival mode (but at least can manually save) and can’t really rip out some cosmetic/gameplay mods without the whole thing going to poo poo. Also there was some weird discord/Reddit/who cares drama recently and end result she pulled her mods down and seems to be possibly abandoning the list entirely?

Idk my advice would be to test it out and make sure you’re really happy with the gameplay changing stuff before you get too invested in a character. Personally I enjoy 80% of what she changed but if you want a pure FO4 experience, this ain’t it.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Bhodi posted:

I wanted to mention, if anyone picked up Subnautica: Below Zero and was sad they dropped VR support, it's been added back in with a mod and is better than ever.

Subnautica was my first real sitdown longform game on my CV1 and I'm so happy I can play the sequel in VR as well.

I’ve been playing BZ in VR and the experience is roughly on par with the native support in the original (although some of the QoL stuff from VR mods in the original is missing and loss-of-control animations like when you open a door haven’t been stripped from VR mode like in the original).

As a game though, I think I prefer the original at this point. The story is narrative driven (as opposed to “oh gently caress I’m all alone and my ship just blew up”) and in general the horror aspect feels severely lacking.

Performance is much better and I haven’t noticed any pop-in problems. Hopefully they backport the new engine to the first game.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
You can also make two shortcuts if you switch between modes frequently. One with launch flag -vrmode none for pancake and one with -vrmode oculus (or OpenVR) for VR.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Finally got 120hz AirLink working after manually updating the Q2 to v29 and the desktop app to v29 PTC (regular v29 desktop doesn’t have a 120hz option).

Still don’t really notice a difference in games where frame rate wasn’t an issue to begin with - but 60hz ASW feels like black magic to me on the heavier games. 90hz kicking down to 45 was extremely obvious but 120 to 60 is barely noticeable in comparison.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Played Carve Snowboarding for a bit today.

Definitely gives off that 1080 Snowboarding vibe and the control scheme is pretty inventive (in a good way).

Downside is my neck started hurting like a motherfucker after about half an hour and I had to switch to goofy footing for relief. Haven’t snow/skateboarded in over a decade so I mostly blame myself but it’s something to keep in mind for any fellow decrepit 30 y/o boomers.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
No Man’s Sky just added DLSS support and I went from being super excited to being mostly confused once I tried it out.

It’s amazing in pancake mode. I can crank everything up to Ultra at 4K and the game runs smooth as butter on a 3070 (minus the weird stutter when leaving an atmosphere but that’s been around forever).

But in VR mode I can hardly tell a difference. Visually it’s okay. Looks like TAA with sharper edges and slightly less blur overall but I get sporadic weird blur artifacting if DLSS is set to either of the Performance options. That goes away if I set it to Balanced or Quality but then my performance is noticeably worse than with TAA.

I guess I bought too much into the performance hype for DLSS in VR because at best I’m seeing maybe a 1-2ms decrease in frame time. And yeah, that’s good and I’m not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but it’s weird to me that DLSS in VR seems to be pretty underwhelming compared to the black magic it’s doing in pancake mode.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

ChocNitty posted:

Now if I can only get MS Flight Sim 2020, or Borderlands 2 to run without also using Steam VR. I have them added to my Oculus library, but they won’t launch. Gotta do it through Steam.

Not sure about Borderlands, but MSFS I’m pretty sure you have to change a registry key to point to the Oculus OpenXR runtime. Link below.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR-

Also when you do this, save your future self potential headaches by exporting two copies of the registry key: one with the default SteamVR runtime and one with the Oculus version. The Oculus OpenXR runtime was causing some problems running certain SteamVR-only stuff and it’s a whole lot easier double clicking a reg file to switch between the two.

Though now that I’m thinking about it, I haven’t had to change back from Oculus as default for quite some time so maybe the problem was fixed in an update.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Morter posted:

Ok :sweatdrop:

Well, while i wait to get it delivered, I'll set up my newly gotten OQ2, and die at superhot

While a dedicated WiFi 6 router is definitely the best way to go (especially if you’re like me and your neighbors all have like 3 APs each locked in an arms race for supremacy through paper thin walls), you can also try putting the Quest on the 5ghz channel of your current router by itself.

Some people use the built in Windows 10 hotspot as a bootleg dedicated AP for wireless VR but, from what I hear, you have to always first connect to it with another device like a smartphone or the Quest won’t connect. :psyduck:

Biggest thing is to make sure your PC is wired into your router.

Edit: vvv yeah I have no idea how/if it’s a problem, I’ve just casually noticed people talking about this in a variety of places and times. I’m actually curious to try it myself now.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 7, 2021

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Wtf how have I not heard of Risk of Rain until now. That VR mod’s trailer looks like what I thought Borderlands 2 VR was going to be. Can’t wait to play this, thanks for the recommend.

Imagine an endless list of FACTORYSSID_$ where $ is EXT1, EXT2, and the main AP. And each one is broadcasting twice for 2.4/5g.

I live in basically Intel factory housing so literally every house also has at least a few IoT devices puking all over the place to boot. Wifi 6 has been a loving godsend for me.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Leathal posted:

Wtf how have I not heard of Risk of Rain until now. That VR mod’s trailer looks like what I thought Borderlands 2 VR was going to be. Can’t wait to play this, thanks for the recommend.

Trip report: “the game…is good!” - Reggie

Maybe not the best idea for people who get motion sickness in VR though. Constant double jumping, dashing, and knockbacks but good lord this game just CLICKED by run 3 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Airlink works great all default settings on Oculus 2
Wifi 6 router, not dedicated.

I have a Ryzen 3700x and a 3080 and now ya'll got me wanting to up settings until I get studders.

Crank that poo poo up. I have a 3070 and usually leave everything maxed at 120hz with the resolution slider all the way to the right and just let the Oculus runtime sort it out since I barely notice 60hz ASW.

This doesn’t apply to MSFS or anything else where you can’t get at least 60fps at native resolution. Or if you’re sensitive to refresh rate.