Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My wife gets airsick every time we fly. I'm hoping her VR usage has lessened that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Alright, refunded B&S. No matter what I did it just made me feel terrible compared to every other VR game.

Taking that credit, I was thinking of either Gorn, Hotel RnR, SuperHot VR, or Job Simulator. A y opinions?

Of those I'd vote Gorn.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Had a dinner party tonight and busted out Puppet Fever on the Quest afterwards, it was a big hit. Only complaint is that apparently only one "companion app" can be connected to the game at a time. Was slightly annoying for everyone not in the headset to have to crowd around one cell phone to see what was going on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

8.5? I hope you apologize to your mother every day.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Pistol Whip crossbuy on Oculus?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Excellent! Thanks

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

March 2020 is the current speculation

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm trying not to get too hype for HL:Alyx but it's not easy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That looks so loving good to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Man I'm going to have to stop reading about HL:A. I mean, I want to know everything about the game, but there are so many dumb motherfuckers out there spreading complete poo poo about VR. I hate feeling all console warriory, just stfu and let people enjoy things nerds.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa that looks pretty good. Did they announce the date or is that one of those when it's done things? I was out doing some IRL stuff unfortunately.

March 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Only had about 15min to put into it, but Until You Fall is super fun so far.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Was just thinking about what Iím really missing on my Quest and Iím thinking some kind of semi realistic racing game would be awesome. Less Mario Kart and more Forza. Would love a motorcycle game too but Iím not optimistic.

Do you have a gaming PC as well or just the Quest? Project Cars 2 and Dirt Rally 2 are both great VR racing games that will work with a link cable. I'm sure there are others but those are the two I have experience with.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has there been any definitive word on if Mechwarrior 5 is getting VR support at some point? $10 coupon at Epic store is tempting me to buy it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are there any rumors of an official or 3rd party replacement strap for the Quest? I missed the boat on the "cheap" DAS or I'd do that, moving from the Rift S to the Quest is a painful experience.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dietrich posted:

Figure out which of your eyes is dominant and sight with that. And that scene in Pocahontas is stupid, you're not going to gain anything but a wider field of view by having both eyes open while sighting, and might introduce error if you haven't trained your brain enough to ignore your off eye's info for anything other than distance information. Feel free to close your off eye while shooting.

I did the tests on that site and apparently I don't have a dominant eye? Did the triangulation test and the object moved an equal distance to either side when I closed an eye, only stayed centered with both open. Probably did it to myself back in junior high when I ripped a contact lens and was afraid to tell my parents, so went about 9 months wearing only one contact lens.
I'm a pretty good shot IRL anyway, so not sure what difference it makes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Try the other test suggested on that website (the thumb one). I had your same reaction to the "triangular focus" test, but had a very clear difference with the thumb test.

Oh weird, yeah turns out via the thumb test that I'm left-eye dominant (and right handed). Will have to do some testing next time I go out shooting.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got both a Quest and a Rift S, and the S gets used way more often. I find the Rift S to be more comfortable, especially for longer sessions, and while link works pretty great it's still a little finicky.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Release the Gaben cut Valve you cowards!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Needing a separate charger for each individual battery sounds dumb as hell. If you've already got to pop the cover off to plug them in, then you're saving maybe half a second versus taking the battery out and popping it into a charger.

e: and I guess they cost 4x the price of high capacity rechargables too? idgi

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess that's not so bad then. Between all my game controllers, camera flashes, etc. I have about 20 AA batteries in regular rotation so swapping over to those would be a pricey proposition.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really like the official Link cable. It's long, thin and light and I haven't found any other cables that hit all 3.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Played around this evening and got Virtual Desktop streaming working on the Quest. It's fairly laggy though, assuming since my router is in a closet in the basement with all the network gear. Looking to improve performance, would my old 5ghz router set as a bridge in the same room as Quest do the trick? Another option would be to hook the second router directly to the second ethernet port on my gaming PC and setup a separate network just for Quest streaming.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd love a vive DAS for my Quest, but they are pretty much impossible to find at anything close to a reasonable price. Even the used ones are going for stupid money. I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has a source for them.

e: well poo poo, nm... looks like they are back in stock at the above link :dance:

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 11, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moss is definitely one of the most charming and beautiful games I've ever played.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my Vive DAS in today, and I don't have the 3d printed mounts yet so did a quick velcro mod on it instead. Holy poo poo, it is like night and day how much more comfortable it is now! I could barely stand more than 5-10 min in the Quest before this, but now it's more comfortable than either the OG Rift or Rift S, both of which I really like. Definitely seems worth the cost, no regrets!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the version that lets you stream native Oculus games without Revive. Nice!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Do you still need to sideload the Sidequest version or is this native with the Quest Version of Virtual Desktop.

For this version at least it's still a test/beta so you'll definitely need to sideload. I suspect until Oculus changes their mind it'll always be a sideload only feature.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is it finally VRMLs time to shine?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone tried VirZOOM? It's some kind of VR exercise bike app that includes a tracker you mount to your pedals.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Giantbomb did a play through with it many years ago (when it was a whole bike). It looks neat but I don't think there is much content. If you already have a bike it looks like the clip on is $99 so might be worth trying as $99 is a drop in the bucket for most exercise stuff.

The lack of content isn't a big deal if you find something you like anyway, you only really need one exercise VR game to make it worth it.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-04152016/2300-11127/
(Requires Giant bomb premium).

Thanks for this, I don't currently have an exercise bike but have been considering getting one of the mounts to convert my road bike into one. This is seriously tempting, if I do take the plunge I'll be sure to update the thread.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rift S sounds like a perfect fit for you. I've got both and find myself using the S most often. Quest primarily gets used when I have people over to share it with.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alyx's combo of stick movement + smooth turning + you can still teleport is probably my favorite movement scheme so far. Only thing potentially better is something like Lone Echo, but that only really works for zero g environments.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you can find one for a decent price, the Vive DAS strap is an amazing upgrade for the Quest. I can play Rift S for hours, but the Quest gets too painful for me after about half an hour. After upgrading with a DAS it's pretty far and away the most comfortable headset I've worn, though I've yet to try an Index.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does Alyx scale at all based on player height? I'm 6'3" and found myself having to duck under pipes pretty often, would really suck for someone like 6'8" though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like it! Ultrawings has shown that the virtual stick can not only be done right, it can be done well, so I think it can be done well here too

No mans sky has shown that the virtual stick can also be done........not great, but hopefully the dev knows the difference. The NMS stick isnít terrible, but after Ultrawings itís lacking.

I like the virtual stick in Ultrawings alright, but I really wish every cockpit game would have the option to use physical controllers. I splashed out for a nice HOTAS setup, find it much more immersive, and I want to use it dammit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Huh. SteamVR and Steam games work for me, but when I try to do Oculus games it can't detect a headset.

You may need to update to the latest version, that support was added in a recent-ish update.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Headphone chat: I picked up this Bionik Mantis that was designed for PSVR but works great on the Rift S. Sound is roughly as good as the OG Rift (ie lightyears better than the Quest or S)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Deeturbomber posted:

That said, is the Doom 3 VR mod worth checking out, and is it possible to get installed on a non-BFG edition of the game?

Doom 3 VR is definitely worth checking out, but I'm 99% sure you need the BFG edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For what it's worth, the upcoming MS Flight Sim lists 32gb as recommended