Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

For those who have upgraded from a Rift S to a cable-driven Quest 2, how much better is the increased resolution?

With my Rift S I really don't like you can often make out individual pixels, especially noticeable on orange things like the flight suits in rogue squadron. It looks a bit like this:

If the Quest 2 improves that then I might replace my Rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

WirelessPillow posted:

I have it on Steam and play wirelessly with the Quest 2 just fine, I get more latency with Link

Is latency with Link something that will be improved? I'd like the better resolution of the quest 2 but otherwise I could stay with my rift s.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Glagha posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but this is a big thread. I need opinions on Pavlov vs. Onward. I recall one of them being the more popular and actively updated one?

they feel somewhat different, Pavlov is more like zooming around in call of duty, onward is a little more deliberate

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Am I correct that for the Quest 2 any USB 3.0 cable will work instead of the official oculus one?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Ok I’m here to ask the same dumb question everybody does: will any of these $30 USB A->C cables that Amazon is throwing at me work for quest link? Is there one in particular that gets the goods?

I'm mostly curious if there's a difference between a 3.0 and 3.1 rated cable. I've seen people on amazon complaining that the 3.0 cables don't work as well but it could be bullshit.

What I really want to use is an active cable extender like this one: https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8 but they all seem to be 3.0 only.

My current Rift S cable is 16 feet and a little short for my room setup, so going to 26 feet would be great.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lockback posted:

I use that exact 3.0 extender and I am pushing bits faster than the decoder can handle them. You're fine, you don't need 3.1.

Your limiting device on 3.0 speeds is going to be your decoder in the quest2. 2.0 is even pretty close but if the decoder isn't getting what it needs the experience gets bad quick. 3.1 speeds wouldn't do a thing. This is why so many of us are able to get really good experiences with wireless connections, 866Mbps is enough to keep everything happy and if you can keep those speeds consistently even the added latency isn't a very big deal.

This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Sorry, but I'd say that was a mistake. Eleven TT is very sensitive to latency, and it has graphics that work perfectly with Quest 2 hardware, so it's an ideal game to buy native. And it isn't that expensive.

Is this because the link cable adds latency over native?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well I fired up my second quest 2 last night. No dead pixels thankfully. Also it has way better lenses.

I had kinda chalked all the Reddit talk about how some of the lenses have way more god rays than others to just Reddit talk but apparently it’s true

My old quest 2 had what I now know are a lot of god rays. Still less than my CV1, so I didn’t think much of it, but now that I’ve tried the second quest 2, I realize it still had a lot. The new one has next to no god rays.

Oculus really is making changes on the fly with these things

Hmm do you use glasses? I notice pretty bad distortion outside the center of my view but had thought it was just from glasses not playing nice

Now I'm wondering if I should try a replacement

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think if you complain enough to them about nearly anything they will RMA your quest. At least according to what I see on Reddit. But also their RMA process is kinda BS, like people were complaining that oculus made them send in a bunch of logs for dead pixel RMA’s, as if there is some log that would reveal display issues.

All that being said, it does seem like they are good about RMA-ing things if you jump thru their hoops

Or if you can still return your quest 2, I was able to get one inside of a week from Best Buy, and I’m just returning my old one rather than RMA-ing it

I do use glasses, but you can eliminate your variables by just trying it without. Or with contacts if you have them

I really want to get contacts, mostly for VR, and this might be the reason to finally do it

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

And speaking of the Quest 2, I just set up the sidequest VR desktop for wireless streaming games, and holy crap this is some indistinguishable from magic poo poo

Only downside so far is that it seems like my controllers aren't being tracked very fast compared to my rift S, almost like they are refreshing at a slower rate. Has anyone noticed this when upgrading from the rift?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rolo posted:

What bites is that I saw the OQ2 in stock at target yesterday, decided to go ahead and get one after some research and now they’re out again.

Are these super rare to find in brick and mortar stores? Would calling every GameStop be a waste?

Not sure about brick and mortar but I ordered one from amazon a week ago and it said backordered until the 17th, then it randomly shipped and was delivered yesterday.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rolo posted:

Oh snap. Does this work well enough to be worth it? I have a 3080, 7 3700x and a great home network for what it’s worth.

Any Facebook plans to implement something like this officially? I feel like it would be a huge hardware selling point.

Seems to work great for me so far, I don't even have my link cable yet and I'm enjoying stuff I used to play on the rift without any noticeable lag.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, getting it from Oculus support. I ordered it initially from Costco, so if they're not dealing with it fast enough, I can always go back to Costco.

Oddly enough, they asked me to look on the inside of the strap for a serial or manufacturing date (neither were there). Makes me think I may have gotten the very first run of these elite straps and those other features were added once they knew there were problems.

Hmm I just got a strap from amazon and don't see any info on the inside. Who knows.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm working on the sniper level, I've applied a few frames of aim smoothing and stabilization which helps a lot, and I keep scaling the scope up bigger and bigger (and probably will go even bigger for comfort)

But dang as lock-solid as tracking feels on your hands with sabers or guns, if you're looking through a long-range scope you really notice all those tiny little bumps and sways. Part of that is your hands and part of it is the tracking, and part of that is the challenge of sniping, but it feels pretty rough.

I hopped in H3VR to check how Anton does it, and dang those snipers feel all over the place! Does anybody ITT use scopes in H3VR who can talk about their experience with it? Or in any other VR shooters? I don't own Pavlov (should have bought it last weekend) so not sure if they're using lots of aim smoothing or just letting it be all bumpy or what.

I've played a lot of H3VR. View through a scope is jumpy because you're holding your hands out in front of you are an awkward angle and the controllers weigh nothing at all. It's actually pretty much what it's like looking though a high magnification scope while standing with no support at all.

You can either brace your hand against something, or maybe get one of those virtual stocks to attach your controllers to. In H3VR there is a "virtual stock" which lets you push the gun into your virtual shoulder and eliminate some vibration in that one dimension, but otherwise you just have to hold still.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Skyrim VR on its own is a lazy port with a barely functioning UI and muddy visuals that punches way above its weight for requirements.

Skyrim VR with mods is a drat masterpiece. It's like an entirely new game and it whips rear end so hard. Getting DynDOLOD to work and play nice with everything is not something I would wish on anyone, though.

curious about skyrim, besides this and the free hand movement mod are there any other essentials?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

You mean this one? It's definitely a good base to start with, but my modlist is a bit more extensive.

and by a bit I mean a lot more extensive. The great thing about Skyrim VR is that a lot of the mods that work for Special Edition also work with VR mostly without issue. A few things need fixes here and there, and the Unofficial Skyrim Patch is a pain in the rear end to get because Arthmoor is a gently caress, but that's really more of a topic for the Skyrim Mods thread.

Do you know if Wabbajack is a good way to go, or that nexus mod manager. I can't tell if they are compatible

e: nevermind, I think I understand the difference

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 13, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nalin posted:

Wabbajack is basically a list of mods to install using Mod Organizer 2. Adding and removing mods from some of the lists can be very hit or miss.

I'm going to try it first since its basically a one click install and includes that hand interaction mod already. I've done zero skyrim modding ever so I'll see how this looks/performs

e: it's downloading an eyebrow mod

Subjunctive posted:

My Elite strap arrived today, going to give it a try tonight.

I like mine a lot, and it's better than the default strap on the rift s. Now I'm just worried it could break

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 13, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The rift has some weird hardware bugs.One thing that happens to my friend is the right controller will randomly lose positional tracking and get stuck on the ground, able to rotate but not actually move. the only way to fix it is to quit out of everything and restart the oculus service.

It happens to me occasionally on both controllers, but for him it's like every 40 minutes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I tried walkabout and it made me notice that the floor level in games feels about 1 foot lower than it really it. But when I adjust the floor level in the guardian it tracks perfectly in the setup screen. Anyone else notice this?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I have this stock which was 80 I think:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/836730315/magnetic-vr-rifle-gunstock-quest-1-and?ref=yr_purchases&variation1=1575815174

Definitely worth the price, but the magnets are a little too stiff to make fast reloading easy. It's doable if you are just playing take and hold in H3, but I wouldn't rely on it for multiplayer stuff.

Also get the sling or make one yourself, its helpful to be able to drop it when you don't need it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There isn't a way to get a deal on HL Alyx, right? I desperately wanna play it, but it feels steep to me.

https://gg.deals/game/half-life-alyx/

Not currently, it drops to 45 during the steam sales and will probably be at that level for another 6 months to a year I would think

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Enderzero posted:

Anybody have grip recommendations for quest 2? AMVR has a quest 1 model that half of people claim works for quest 2 (with a gap at the bottom of the controller) and half that it doesn’t, and their quest 2 model has people claiming it’s a worse design. VR Cover has one but it’s sold out, like seemingly most of their products. Mamut has a new Grip^3 but it’s comparatively expensive and I can’t find any reviews.

I have large hands and I don’t really care about the strap functionality that emulates knuckles, I’m just finding that my ring and pinky have to clench and curl too much when I’m throwing myself up walls in Population One so I just want a thicker stem.

I'm also looking for grip recommendations. The most recommended ones on amazon all seem to have serious flaws and am wondering if I should look elsewhere like etsy or ebay

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Drone posted:

Spent a few hours spacetruckin' in Elite last night after tweaking my settings, cleaning my lenses with the new lenspen, and getting my HOTAS controls all dialled in. It was fantastic. I don't have a ton of ships, but goddamn if the scale of a Type 6's cockpit not just massive in VR :swoon:

Now the only downside compared to playing on a monitor is that I can't as easily glance at my second monitor to look up things on eddb.io.

Then when I was done I checked out VRchat for the first time and it took me over 30 minutes of playing before I saw my first boobs or abs. For shame, internet, I was expecting worse from you.

Are you using a specific HOTAS controller? I'm looking into one as well

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just tried Propagation, thought it was super well done and now my index finger hurts from shooting as fast as I could

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

virtual desktop will only play VR games through the steam vr interface right? if I own something on the oculus store, it seems like I can only play it through link

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thom and the Heads posted:

Nope - Oculus store games work. Launch them through the Games menu in VD - left controller Oculus button on Q2

Oh duh, I forgot about that launcher since I'd had to boot some things like doom 3 from the desktop. Thanks!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I think pistol is just better, shotgun is for backup if something is stuck on you and you need it off.

With the pistol I hold a mag in my support hand so I can reload when I have a split second

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

Printed out a wall mount for my quest 2 today

Tried Contractors today too, that game is badass.

This is cool, is this a free Thingiverse file you could link to?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I finally tried OVR Toolkit and it's worth every penny

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

are there any apps that just give you cool scenes to walk around and explore? Google Earth VR is super impressive of course but more sci-fi or fantasy themed would be cool. I'm assuming people have put cool stuff into vr chat but I don't know how to find it

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

Finished this print tonight. Just waiting on some magnets to come in that will allow the controllers to attach/detach from the steel rods

Can’t wait to try this in Onward and Contractors.

Here’s the thingiverse link of it in case anyone else wants to print it - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4538594

This is what I have, it's excellent

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

prom candy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for grips for the quest 2? My hands are getting real sweaty over here

https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-Controller-Accessories-Anti-Throw/dp/B08PP8SW2S

I really like these, and you can order from kiwi directly if you don't want to use amazon. Benefit of these over others is they complete cover the controller. It's a silicone material

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

prom candy posted:

Alright I got it working and woof, I feel funny now

did you do anything in particular to fix the graphics? i have dirt 2.0 as well and want to try it

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

priznat posted:

Hah I was trying to figure out what game you all were talking about then the “rottweiner” mode tipped me off. That has been in my wishlist but it looks like it doesn’t usually go on sales anyway so I should probably just buy it!

It does seem to complain that my roomscale setup may not be big enough, is it a huge issue? I can probably make it bigger just gotta push some furniture out of the way.

Shouldn't be an issue at all, there are lots of movement options. Sometimes I play sitting down and just use twin stick movement for everything.

The other thing I've found roomscale important for is in take and hold when you really need to peer around cover to avoid getting blown up, but that doesn't take up much space

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah you might as well use the item spawner to get some attachments if you are really struggling or just want to have a more chill run through

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Quickbolt actually just got added to the streamlined controls last Friday on the beta branch, you activate it with Y on the offhand

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

any basketball fans with a quest might want to check out the oculus venues nba games. there's one going on right now and it's really cool

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I’m still trying to find a HOTAS, pretty much all of them are sold out so I don’t know which one would be worth paying a bit more that msrp for. Elite and Squadrons would both be incredible with one

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

priznat posted:

I want Anton to copy the “flick” mechanic from Alyx for picking up guns and mags, the regular tractor beam straight into your hand is so dull now :haw:

It has a version of this in the options, but it's more primitive in that it just applies a velocity to the items and you really have to catch them precisely. Alyx does a kind of magnetic thing and has a huge catch window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Imhotep posted:

I ended up getting the Quest 2 and it’s pretty incredible how much better this is using just Virtual Desktop and the headset + controllers wirelessly, as far as setup and tracking/fidelity compared to the Rift 1 which is the only other PC VR headset I’ve used. But so far I’ve only really played Half Life: Alyx, Paper Beast (because I got the non VR ‘folded edition’ which came with the regular VR version), and some Yupitergrad. I’d already played the first two, and Yupitergrad seems like it could be more fun once I get the hang of swinging and gaining momentum.

But I also installed the VR mod for Outer Wilds and it’s probably the most impressive thing I’ve experienced with the Quest so far, Half Life probably would be had I not played all of it already at my friends on said Oculus Rift, but seriously, this mod is incredibly well done, and if you like Outer Wilds, you should definitely try it out. Or if you haven’t played Outer Wilds, you should check it out, but maybe play the actual game not entirely in VR. Maybe most VR mods are this good and I just haven’t tried them, but I kind of doubt that other mods integrate the UI into like the hand tracking and whatnot, which are also modeled like the characters hands, and turning on your flashlight is done by reaching up to the side of your head etc. I was too scared to go to a certain planet, but going in, I thought the whole experience would be a little too much, (and i guess I should say it very well could be) and I just didn’t get into any situations like spinning around in zero G super quickly, or crashing my ship in space and getting ejected at a high speed or anything else that could make me uncomfortable, but I felt fine doing almost everything else. But I have a weirdly high tolerance for VR experiences, and it didn’t feel any less comfortable than any of the other ‘intense’ VR games I’ve played

You can download it here, I bought Outer Wilds around the time it launched, before it ssd on Steam but it was surprisingly simple to get it going, I just had to add the game from my Epic library to my Steam library then hit launch game in the Nomai VR app https://github.com/Raicuparta/nomai-vr

What other non-VR games are worth playing in VR? Veni recommended Alien: Isolation, which I’m sure is great, but I can barely play it regularly, so I’m sure it would be way too scary for me in VR.

There's a Doom 3 VR mod that is very good, weapon reloading looks bizarre but other than that you'd think it was developed for VR