Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
How barfy is Stormlands for someone who doesn't VR much these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve has gone on record saying a big part of the reason that they havent made a new half life game (3 or otherwise) is because the first two are looked at as absolute essential classics. They captured lightning in a bottle and they have publicly stated that they wont make another half life game until they're confident that they have it nailed to the quality of the first two.

What this DOESNT mean is "valve wont make a new half life unless its a clone of the first two", its about quality standards and industry impact. Yes, modern games do half life stuff better than half life did, but the impact of the games on release absolutely cannot be overstated. There was nothing like them.

Thats what they have said they want to recapture.
Counterpoint, HL2 Ep2 was a pretty bog standard game at time of release and was basically forgettable (I think you forgot about it when making this post even)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Does Boneworks still have the long sections between saves or did they patch that?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Csolo posted:

"The overview effect is a cognitive shift in awareness reported by some astronauts during spaceflight, often while viewing the Earth from outer space." I'm mostly looking to feel small and feel as if every problem I face in life is nothing compared to what is really out there.

Space Engine has VR support and is pretty impressive if you can get past the limited controls on the touch controllers

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Moss is a cool cute seated game

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Hopefully not long, can't wait to play that long boring boat section again but this time it makes me nauseous too

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
vr has a big problem in that setups aren't universal - some people have huge playspaces, some people have small playspaces, some people are playing completely seated, some people have 10 foot ceilings, some people have 7 foot ceilings. How can you hope to settle on a sort of near-universal control language for movement like the joystick and dpad became?

Lemming posted:

I don't like talking in too abstract terms, so nuts and bolts stuff, like if there's a menu, just don't have it be a floating UI with a laser pointer you bring up by pressing a menu button. Put a little tablet on your wrist or something (like Echo Arena does), that's present in the world. Yeah, it's probably more work, but this isn't something that's like an order of magnitude more different. It just requires understanding about which aspects of the game harm the feeling of presence and which contribute to it, and then focusing on maintaining that feeling. Part of the reason I think it's important because that does filter up to the design of the game as a whole, and it really makes a big difference. This is something that Saints and Sinners did pretty well, including stuff like having a backpack you grab and crafting tables you need to go up to, though I would argue they didn't follow through with it all the way, and Saints and Sinners is pretty widely considered one of the best things in VR, and has been very successful
see i disagree on the menu thing, give me a menu that pops up that i can easily point to, that's way more fluid than raise wrist, point at thing on wrist. Don't emulate the limitations of reality in VR unless there's a core gameplay reason for it - like, if you're playing the part of a robot with a wrist computer. It worked well in Lone Echo, but the Saints and Sinners backpack bugged me because it just felt like a gimmicky version of a traditional video game inventory system

like my favorite VR game by far is Walkabout Mini Golf - the core of the game is putting and it does that very well in a way that 2d video games absolutely can't, but the rest of the experience is streamlined - easy to navigate menus, snap to the ball teleportation, one button to jump to scorecard/course overview and back. Would it be more realistic if i had to grab my ball out of the cup and walk between holes and the set the ball down to putt and pull my scorecard out of my pocket to see my score? Yeah, but that's not really what the focus of the game is, so it lets you skip all that stuff and I think it's better for it.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Blastinus posted:

VR’s l very fun for games involving swords, guns, bows, throwing stuff, and physics-based puzzles
Is there a game that actually does throwing things well because every game I’ve tried is garbage

It’s one of things that works differently enough with controllers vs real life that it’s never fun in vr (that I’ve found)