Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Image in the OP gave me a good hard laugh.

I keep bouncing around on whether or not to get a quest. I wish there was somewhere I could demo one. In the end I think I'll still wait for something else to come along or finally cave and buy a new PC, cause only having a PSVR, my biggest issues with it are still visual fidelity and desire for a bigger library. Neither of which is something I think the Quest will address. Having useable controllers would be a huge plus though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I posted almost the exact same thing a year or more ago so forgive me, but I've really got the bug to get into PCVR and I'm sure the game has changed a bit since then. Currently only have PSVR and really would like something better. What would be a place to start in looking for what my best options are? I'm going to need an entire setup not just the headset. What I'm really looking for more than anything is better visual fidelity and a clearer picture. better tracking, controllers and all that is expected from pretty much anything over PSVR so that's really not a huge concern for me. Every other headset seems to offer a step up from the drat move controllers. I mostly just want VR that looks better than low detail and blurriness of PSVR, which is why I am wary of the Quest.

The Index seems like what I really want. I'd even consider the hefty price tag, but the only issue is having to buy a computer for it as well, I'm probably looking at at least 2 grand? Maybe more right? How does Rift stack up these days? Is it a bad idea to just buy a VR ready PC? I'd really rather not build a PC if I don't have to. Is the index really a big enough step up to justify the price?

Also, it seems like these drat things are hard to find atm. Rifts are all aftermarket and marked up like 50% atm :sigh: and it takes months to get an index? drat.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 19, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So the quest can actually link to a PC and I could play from the whole library via that route? I didn't even know that tbh. I thought it was just a standalone. Yeah the wireless would be a huge plus in that case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Reading through it now. Very helpful. Thanks. Sorry I always assume Op's are years out of date haha.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you go with the Quest of Rift?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet Jesus, looking around I can't find an Index for less that 1700 or rift or Quest for less than 600. Guess I have plenty of time to think about which one I want lol. I'll wait until pandemic gouging ends I guess. Was so close to pulling the trigger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Say you have a Quest, and a game you want is released for PCVR as well as Quest. Is it preferable to buy the PC version and run it there via the link, or the quest version for portability? I am assuming with some more intense games it's going to be better running off the PC?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool. Like, I noticed The Walking Dead S&S is planned for release on Quest, but it seems like something like that would look way better on a PC, so buy something like that there i'd imagine. Right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for all of the info, guys. Think I'm probably leaning towards getting a decent PC and starting with a Quest (once I can actually scrape one up for MSRP) since it seems capable of so much more than I was aware of. Then maybe going for something more high end down the road when there are more options or better deals.

Just curious though. Realistically, how much difference is there between playing Something like HL:A on an index vs a Quest? Is is like, huge or are you just mostly looking at some slightly better resolution and control options? I guess the only thing that might still sway me towards an index would be that having a PSVR I just want a clearer picture so bad. I can't stand the muddiness, and I'm worried that it feeling to too similar to PSVR would be the only downside of going with a Quest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is compatibility of games mostly a non issue now? That HP headset seems like it might be a nice middle ground between a rift and an Index. I don't have PCVR yet I just remember there were a lot of exclusivity deals with certain games a few years ago.

Tbh I still don't know how that stuff works. Do you still have to use workarounds to play steam/oculus games on a competing headset? Where will the HP one fall? Steam I'm guessing?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I'm not clear on. With the Quest do you still not have to set up tracking bullshit around the room even if you use it for PCVR? because that seems like a big deal that I never really considered.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found good prices on both a Rift S and Quest a 128gb today on craigslist and the 64gb quest is back in stock if I want to buy it new, and I still have to buy/build a new PC and I'm like agh this is so stressful. I just want to get in on the PCVR poo poo so bad and have the best experience. Seems like you guys have throughly landed on quest over rift S though I should probably go that route. Just worried about comfort/getting a lesser experience or whatever.

Origami Dali posted:

What do you mean "set up"? If you mean lighthouses and poo poo, no, there's none of that. If you mean just drawing a guardian, then yeah, you still have to do that. You can turn it off in the settings though, I think.

Yes I meant lighthouses/cameras. basically anything you have to install around the room.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, poo poo. I guess that seals the deal. thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:toot: I am finally getting in on the PCVR world. Very Excited. My friend is selling me a relatively new VR ready laptop for extremely cheap so I ordered a Rift today.

Just a quick question. It appears it exceeds the minimum system requirements to play Half Life Alyx, but not the recommended specs.

intel i7-8750h cpu @ 2.20 ghz
nvidia gtx 1070 GDDR5 @ 8GB (256 bit)
16gb ram

I know fuckall about PC gaming, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect about how well HL: Alyx will run and how suitable this will be for VR in general. As far as I can tell I know it's not going to give me a bleeding edge experience but it should be fine in general?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Excellent. :q:

I am so goddamn excited to play this game and PCVR in general. I feel like a little kid on Christmas waiting for my rift to come in the mail.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the Oculus store have sales? I'm surprised that the early Oculus exclusives are still pretty pricey. I'd love to try stuff like The Climb but I would also never pay $30 for it and it also seems steep for Robo Recall. Kind of disappointed the headset doesn't even come with one free game tbh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whats the best no hassle headphone solution for the Rift S? I'm looking at the Bionic mantis PSVR headphones, which pretty much look like what I want but it looks like a ton of extra cable and yuck that white is gonna clash with it. I hate using earbuds in VR and ote headphones get weighty and hot imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Those are what I use, and they sound pretty good. They don't match, but you can't see yourself with it on and you're gonna look like a dork regardless.

Word, thanks.

Noticed Fallout 4, Doom VFR, and Skyrim are cheap in that bundle. Definitely want to grab those three.

Do FO4 and Doom play nice with the Rift now? I noticed it's still not listed as supported on the steam page.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know if i'd say FO4 plays nice with any system. :v:

Having played Skyrim on PSVR and thinking it was pretty good other than the limitations of the controllers/blurry visuals, what makes FO4 worse than Skyrim?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

FO4 wasn't handled anywhere near as good as skyrim. Beyond the massive performance issues, at release things like scopes didn't work, and the most insane bug was the skybox height was set at like, 10 feet, which lead to this horrorshow optical illusion during the nights where trees and buildings would be above the sky, but not. How something that basic ever got past testing I'll never know.

Basically bethesda handled skyrim themselves for a big psvr release, and they just passed off FO4 to someone else to like fart out a barely working port in a week.

EDIT: Though I should say I have no idea how much if any has been fixed over time. Maybe its functional now.

Ah that sucks. Well, At $17 bux I'm still gonna bite. My curiosity has the best of me.

Anything else a must buy in that Humble VR sale (that doesn't already have a PSVR release. I've played pretty much all of those.)? I'm also grabbing LA noire I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waiting for my Rift to come in the mail has turned me into an impatient baby. Tuesday feels like a month away.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nocheez posted:

It is Eagle Flight. It's 6 bucks, I might just have to get it.

It's definitely worth 6 bux.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Forgive my ignorance, but afaik I need steam VR to play stuff that doesn't officially support Rift? What exactly does it do? I looked at the official site and it didn't really answer any of my questions. Seems like I'll need it for FO4 and Doom, but I guess I'm not clear on the why part of it? Does it just kind of trick the game into thinking you are using a vive/index or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shine posted:

You just install SteamVR and load the game, nothing weird needed. It's when you want to play Oculus games on non-Oculus headsets that you gotta do fuckshit.

Word. So do I launch Steam VR and then launch the game through it or is it just something I need to have downloaded?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Havent even hooked up my rift yet but holding these beautiful controllers for the first time after 3 years of suffering the PSVR move controllers is making me all giddy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Welp. After an hour of Rift use I might as well just sell my PSVR. Although it does have some good exclusives I dont know If i'll ever want to deal with the blurriness or bad hand tracking again. Feels like I just stepped into the future.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Should I play Alyx on normal or hard?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far Alyx is amazing beyond anything I've ever seen, but man it gets choppy in some areas. At least I think thats what it is? I haven't seen frame drops in VR before but I'm guessing thats whats going on when The character animations get choppy and so does free movement? Usually happens when a lot of enemies are on screen or a bunch of animation is going on. Is there anything I can do to reduce this without affecting the experience too much? The in game settings say I'm running it on low but the NVidia app has a bunch of stuff bumped up so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Also, if you were going to pick one of the Rift store sales game would you get

Lies Beneath
Robo Recall
Red Matter
The climb

Or something else?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 4, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now you get what I was talking about in the PSVR thread a while back :v:.

I definitely still don't think the PSVR head tracking is bad for what it is tbh. Yeah it's limited in range and clunky to set up but I never found it unresponsive. As far the move controllers go I've been cursing those things since day one for their form factor.

But yeah overall the Rift feels like a complete system and less of a fun novelty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple of things that kind of seem questionable about the Rift S is the use of all of this spongy foam. Especially the on the face. It looks like it could get nasty and worn out pretty quick and appears to be glued on. You'd think they would make it either cleanable or easily replaceable or both. Also the cable seems way more rigid than it should be and seems to tangle on itself way too easily. Definitely kind of worried about it kinking. I'm guessing there are third party solutions for both but it still seems like kind of silly design.

Also I'm having some issue where I have to plug and unplug it like 3 times every time I boot it up, or ir says either the USB or optical port is not plugged it. It always works fine after that but it's weird that I have to do that in the first place and I'm not sure why it's happening.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath are my top Oculus store picks I'm just holding off on them Until I finish Alyx and some of the other stuff I bought. The other ones I listed because they are all on sale right now for around $20

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do the things that cover the foam actually stay on pretty well? They look like they'd fall off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Robo recalls movement system seems real bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

It's pretty intuitive (at least it was to me as my first vr game). One thumb for range and the other for direction, boom teleport. I'm a smooth locomotion person but out of all the teleport options, it didn't seem bad at all.

That’s not how it works though. Maybe there’s an option for that I’ll have to check. But both thumb sticks do the same thing you aim to teleport and then have to rotate the stick to choose a direction before teleporting, which is a very weird way to control a Vr game imo. Especially when you have 2 sticks.

I prefer free movement but don’t mind teleporting if it’s done right, which is what you described but that’s not what I’m seeing in RR

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is is normal that I have to unplug and plug my rift s back in every time I boot up? Sometimes 2-3 times. It always says that either the USB or optical is not detected until I redo it. It doesn't seem like an uncommon problem after googling it but I'd sure like to know why it's happening and how to stop it.

At least it works fine once it connects but it's a pain and does not seem normal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could spend an hour in an index just to see what it's like. it's funny hearing you talk about the visuals because I just came from PSVR and the Rift S feels like night and day, and my reaction to the rift is pretty much what you are having with the Index lol. I am sitting here like "finally VR is clear enough to be good" It could be way better though. But I am used to anything more than 20 feet away being an amorphous blob. I'll probably go for an index or equivalent in a year or two.

EbolaIvory posted:

Theres like a billion factors but without trying to get into each one, yea, its not uncommon.

USB length can be a thing. Even on the default cable. If you're using front USB or DP port extensions that can be it.
USB power saving, Can also be a thing.
Multiple montiors can be a thing.
Display drivers.
plugins for steamvr can be an issue.
theres more, holy crap it can be anything :)

I Personally unplug my headsets when not in use. Some websites, and some unity/unreal games like to fire up steamvr if its plugged in.

Ah. Yeah I've also just started to unplug it after use. It's annoying but not a big deal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh after all the bad stuff I've heard about Fallout 4 VR I was expecting a lot worse. It's definitely a kind of lazy VR experience, but it looks and plays fine as far as I can tell from the hour I played. It doesn't really have the bells and whistles but I was expecting more of a disaster. I can't believe there is no in game option to adjust for sit down play though like they just expected everyone to stand for a 100 hour long game of feel like a midget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tip posted:

I really wish Sony would release their VR games on PC. They have some of the best VR content locked down to the worst system.

Still annoyed that Resident Evil 7 on PC never got the VR mode.

And I really wanna play Hitman in VR.

Also Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Wipeout are god tier.