Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's my OP game recommendations:

SUPERHOT VR - SteamVR | Rift
A unique first person action game where you punch, shoot, slash and throw objects at Red Glass Men in open white room environments. The catch is that time only moves when you move. It's part puzzle game figuring out through trial and error what it takes to survive each round.
Really great intro to VR and an experience that plays best in VR.

Vader Immortal: Episode 1 and Vader Immortal: Episode 2 - Oculus Quest or Rift
A VR Star Wars. This is more of a narrative story experience than a full game. Each episode will take you about 40 minutes to play through. The visuals and sound are so, so, nicely polished here. The interactivity is mostly through door unlock puzzles, and a few sections with a lightsaber. There's also a side mode in a lightsaber training dojo to take your saber through the paces in a series of timed challenges.
Every Star Wars fan I've seen try this game all grin like idiots at the level of immersion.

Also, please add this image to the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SUPER HOT

SUPER HOT

SUPER. HOT

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

VR Megathread: Swingers Beating Sabers

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

So this was 6 hours ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGVxBpMXpzc

As is the usual with Kickstarter the 8KX was delayed by many years, but apparently these claim to ship in December so we'll see. It's a lot to chew through in the video but it's cool to see the headset will have a single DP 1.4 cable, and they still seem to be doing an eye tracking module.

Pushing two 4k screens sounds like kill ur videocard territory

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

Crying and tearing off my headset when forced to shoot a robo recall robot vs just going ham on Wall-e and EVE with a ball peen hammer

The Oculus First Contact robot is very WALL-E esque. My kids love waving at the "shy robot" :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Imagine four lighthouses on the edge of a cliff

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

homeless snail posted:

imo I like even more being normal size and looking at extremely tiny things.

my wife feels the same way which is good news for me

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Virtual boy emus support hmds and it works better than the original hardware

Virtual boy was taken from us too early.
All this time we've just been trying to get back what we lost.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Blade and Sorcery just feels so right. It's got such an excellent feel, and the swing speed mechanics that force you to slow down to simulate weapon weight are really good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

El Grillo posted:

This.
Unfortunately in terms of gameplay the awesomeness of the physics really just meant that the terrible combat AI and enemy animations were too distracting to make the whole thing add up to a really fun experience. It's so close to being the perfect melee combat sim. Sadly I don't expect this to be improved much because melee AI is just hard as gently caress.

It feels similar to swinging at fastballs in a batting cage or taking a bucket of golf balls to the driving range. There's not enough there to be a truly great game and you're not going to want to do it for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

But it's still a ton of fun.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Most hardware produced in China is currently experiencing the same issues, as people are not going to work cause they're sick or (most commonly) have been told to or are afraid of contagion.

This is the big one.

Stuff is delayed out of China right now because of the one-two punch of Chinese New Year which always slows things down and cities of 10+ million people effectively quarantined which means a lot of factories, trains, trucks, and ships are not operating.

If there's any demand effect of export consumers concerned about getting a virus from Chinese goods, it's certainly much smaller than the supply interruptions from decreased economic activities. China's GDP dropped like crazy during 2003 when SARS was happening due to those interruptions.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

That's precisely why I enjoy it so much lmao. They're so shocked this is happening!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If you're buying a second headset to flip, it's not scalping, it's VRbitrage

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I was planning on getting a Reverb G2, but I dislike the WMR controllers compared to the oculus ones. At $300 plus another $80 for the cable, I think a Quest 2 will suit me well.

Even if I don't love it, I have a good feeling I'll always be able to sell it for at least what I paid for it :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Costco has a Quest 2 bundle available for preorder, 256gb version ($400) plus elite strap ($50) and fit pack ($40) for $429 :eyepop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Has anyone actually used their VR set on a plane to watch a movie or something? I don't get motion sick in VR but I feel like if anyone's even a little bit sensitive to it a plane ride would be terrible for it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

I can't wait for the display fidelity to get to the point I can use one as a laptop display replacement while flying. I always feel weird with 7 or 8 bored people watching me tinker on my computer, they might see my waifu pics or something idk.

Not like that's gonna be a problem anytime soon of course :smith:

But if you have a headset and headphones on someone might swipe your pretzels :ohdear:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I checked my costco order and it says it's being delivered Wednesday.

What USB-C cable should I use? I do have a native out on my PC

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

For those who did the Costco order and it's shipped, did you get an email specifically saying it was shipped, or did they just update the status on the actual order page?

Just an update on the order page.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Just tried out Squadrons on the Quest 2, both via the official Link cable and Virtual Desktop, and I finally got the out of cockpit stuttering everyone has been experiencing. Otherwise looks great, but is pretty much unplayable until they get that fixed.

That said, I know now for certain that it works flawlessly on my Rift S. This whole time I've been secretly worried my vision or something had gone to poo poo somehow. No idea why it seemingly works great for some and not at all for others on similar setups. Hopefully they can get that fixed soon, because it is an absolute blast in VR.

Yeah, when it works it's amazing. Too bad it's not working so good with my Quest 2.

Played a bunch of Acron:Attack of the Squirrels tonight with a group of family. We had a blast.
Being the tree and picking up those little booger squirrels and launching them off the map is excellent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A new PCVR headset has popped into existence overnight from well-known technological company... *checks notes* Megadodo?

There's some youtube videos supposedly demo'ing it, but the general smell test seems to lean towards a scam. I'm inclined to agree personally, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjun1PahYxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVZp0GdB7U

Named in honor of the fallen officer, surely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnL1iPdQVuc

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm not done spending money on my Quest 2 yet!

I have elite strap and the fit pack, and really like how the Wide face fits me because I have a giant melon head. I want to get silicone covers that fit at least the wide and standard face inserts. However, I can't find anything that says explicitly that it will fit the Wide insert. Anyone have any experience with that?

Also, I'm looking for a good case solution. I'm thinking of getting one of the Harbor Freight knockoff Pelican cases with foam and putting it in there. Does anyone else have a case they like?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I bought the $43 Harbor Freight pelican knockoff for $35 with a ubiquitous 20% off coupon.

Quest 2 with elite strap, fit pack, and an extra battery bank and cables fits nicely. The case feels really solid, is waterproof, and I'm confident that it could survive several drops.

Now to stencil something on the outside. Perhaps an Aperture Science logo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JumpyMonky posted:

Humble Bundle has a Fall VR bundle going on right now including Saints and Sinners at the top tier for $17.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr

That's an awesome deal :eyepop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a key for Creed: Rise to Glory™

6CZAI-Y8DYJ-K7WZB

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Warbird posted:

Is the Humble Bundle all Steam keys or do you get to pick the storefront?

All steam keys

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Doesn't sunlight turn the Quest 2 lenses into dust or stone also?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My only old gen VR experience was playing the Virtual Boy demo unit at Target while my mom was shopping

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Skyarb posted:

So more exclusivity?

It's already available on Steam and PSVR, so less exclusivity

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Shine posted:

- Payday 2 (free VR DLC, and the base game is like $2.50 during Steam sales)
- Elite Dangerous, though its co-op is notoriously janky.
- Phasmophobia
- Sairento (your slomo only affects a "sphere" around you, so you won't constantly slow each other down)
- Vox Machinae (compstomp)
- Zero Caliber (I haven't played, but a friend said it's fun in co-op)

Good news, Elite Dangerous is going to be free to keep starting tomorrow on the Epic Games Store until Nov 26th.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Also I played through A Fisherman's Tale last night, and it was extremely fun and cute.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Good news, Elite Dangerous is going to be free to keep starting tomorrow on the Epic Games Store until Nov 26th.

It's live now. Get your free copy of Elite Dangerous

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Where do I claim that then? I activated mine the day before the previous start date so I didn't look into it.

per reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualrea...embed&context=3

quote:

Thank you to everyone in the community who shared concerns about this promotion’s timing. Your candid feedback, support, and enthusiasm are what make this platform a success. The promotion is now available to those who purchased a Quest 2 between September 16 and November 20, 2020. If you'd like to participate, please contact Oculus Support and have a pdf of your Quest 2 proof of purchase ready to share. The holidays are a busy time for our CS team, so we appreciate your patience should you encounter a delay. Thanks!

Note: Asgard’s Wrath requires an activated Quest 2, a Link cable with the associated PC software, and a compatible PC for use. The promotion will continue through Jan 31, 2021.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Leal posted:

What VR games are good on weed

Also I have at one point slammed my right controller against my night stand doing a pistol whip and now the battery rattles and its annoying as hell

Tetris Effect :pcgaming:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

On a different note, I expect you to die is entirely too fun of a time. Really really digging its vibe.

I think my dad will love it. He told child-me that the button on the parking brake lever in the car triggered an ejection seat like in James Bond's car.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Looks cool. Ace Combat VR!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Project Wingman released today.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/895870/Project_Wingman/

Getting some extreme Ace Combat vibes from that game

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

From the start of the trailer with the empty environments and the title Contractors Quest I was expecting a construction RPG

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I will duke it out with her in beatsabre!

The beanie baby divorce picture, but with a divorcing couple in court competing in Beat Saber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Reek posted:

anybody have one of these 3d printed gun stock accessories or a different brand they recommend?

I would like to know the answer to this question

Also, I would like this picture to be in the OP