Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Throwing my 2c onto page one, I upgraded from a Vive to a Rift S and could not be happier. I have a lot of disposable cash and was super keen on getting an Index when they finally make their way to Australia, with the Rift S being an interim step, but will find it seriously hard to justify the $2000 or whatever the Index will cost when it gets here.

The Technician
https://store.steampowered.com/app/839960/

Throwing out a recommendation for The Technician, is in a VERY alpha state at the moment but is seriously fun. Feels like a single player Keep Talking and Noone explodes, do logic puzzles while under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
So I just got back from a few weeks leave and got immediately into all the pistol whipping I've been missing. I quite like it, you feel VERY badass at times John Wicking all over the place. I would prefer if there were a few more clues on how the scoring works, I've gone through and finished every map on hard now, so now I'm doing some highscore chasing and it seems incredibly hard to get a rating of more then B. I'm in the top 20 on hard on one of the songs, 90% accuracy and similar score for beat, and it's still just a B rating. Not getting hit obviously helps by not messing up your multiplier, but i'm still not sure exactly what I should be aiming for for getting a higher rating. Not that a higher rating has any real impact on anything other then my OCD.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Still loving my Rift S, excellent value and a great upgrade over the Vive, but does anyone else have issues with the guardian boundaries moving? Every now and then they're shifted like 30cm's to the right for no reason, or it will forget my boundaries completely and have to reset it. It's not a major drama having to do it, but loving annoying after the Vive set and forget forever.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
I wouldn't completely discount the Rift S, I upgraded to it from the Vive and have been very happy. As far as price/performance it's hard to beat. I find it extremely comfortable which was probably my biggest issue with the OG Vive, and after a few teething issues early I've been extremely happy with the tracking. I bought it as an interim upgrade until the Index finally makes its way to Australia, but it will be very hard to justify the $1500+ AUD cost of an Index over $650 for a Rift S.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
The Technician just got an update, nothing major, but apparently it's the start of the developer ramping up development again. I really like it, my favourite VR puzzle game, feels a lot like a single player Keep talking and noone explodes.

Also joining the crowd of people enjoying Saints and Sinners, though I might be retarded because I can't work out how found crafted items work, got the recipe for the .44 and .44 ammo from the safe on the first level, can't work out how to craft it though. I assume i'm missing something very obvious.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2020

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Crisis vrigade has had a stealth update which appears to have implemented co op!

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Some dude has made a VR mod for GTFO, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVFSf13iO8A will give it a crack if I can get it set up and report back

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
gently caress yeah double post. Can't get that GTFO mod working for some reason though, perhaps someone more competent can report back about how they got it working.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 12, 2020

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

caldrax posted:

In case anyone is suffering like me, I looked up a tip because I got sick of dying here I guess if you wait for the bell, the npcs take off so you're only facing zombies, so it's easier to traverse. I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna go back in shortly I think.

Also Chomposaur: someone pointed out after your post that they have tiny torx screws that you might be able to tighten? Worth a shot.

edit: I also realized I was talking about the wrong quest, above, it's the tower and the tomb part 3... I think? Something like that.

edit 2: Got it done, waiting for the bell to toll was crucial. Will remember that for any future missions, though on the way out the hordes were thiccc I ended up dual wielding with a shiv I found on site and a knife I'd been carrying, really felt like a badass there for a bit.

God, every time I dive into this thing I love it, it's just so much more intense of an experience than playing a game on a normal screen, I'm still in awe. I do want to play some stuff with nice environments though at some point, the dark damp New Orleans atmosphere and the polygonal intensity of Superhot leave something to be desired in that regard. If anyone has any suggestions for games with more pleasant environments, I'd be happy to hear them.

Windlands 2 is a pretty pleasant place to explore. Grappling around is excellent fun.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah so you know how it can be trying to get something serviced when you imported it on top of paying an assload to import it.

Aussie dollarydoos are a joke atm, One of my buddies lives there and him going "Yeah my pc build was 5 digits dude", made me really realize how insane that is there.

Wages seem to offset it some, but holy gently caress. LOL

Fun fact, Viveport and VIVE are 2 different entities and Viveport is trying to distance itself as a stand alone VR store, not VIVEs software headquarters.

VP is device agnostic now a days. Oculus SDKs, whole 9 yards.

Nfi how the gently caress someone is spending 10 grand on a pc here. You can get a 2080ti for 1800.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
My Rift S no longer ever remembers my room boundaries. It's not a huge drama setting it up every time, but is getting loving annoying. Never used to be an issue, any ideas?

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
OG Half-life vr mod beta is out, and looks like it has been for a little while now. https://www.halflifevr.de/ Had a quick run through just the first 10 minutes so far on a Rift S. Feels quite janky, which I spose is to be expected from a mod for a 20! year old game. In true half-life fashion ladders still seem awkward, hitting headcrabs with a crowbar can be a bit touchy, and for some reason there's a bug that doesn't allow any ammo pickups, but it's still half-life in vr and i'll be attempting to play through the whole thing.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
My left Rift S controller thumbstick started drifting. Submitted a support ticket and it's now being RMA'd. The race is on to have it back before Alyx is released, godspeed fedex.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Alyx is loving great. It's all the polish of every other valve game in VR, and that's excellent. Every complaint in this thread is valid, but I don't think any of them are massive enough to detract from the world valve has built. What is though, is the fact that putting a bucket on your head doesn't make you immune to headcrabs :(

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
There are tonnes of good vr games, I got a vive a year n a half ago and was surprised then at how much stuff there was. Yeah, there's a lot of shovelware around but I've got hundreds of hours in beatsaber alone. I've since upgraded to a Rift S and haven't regretted a thing. Pistol Whip is amazing, and if it's not in the op The Technician is an underrated gem of a puzzle game.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2058494913
Early days horde mode mod for Alyx. It's not bad, just had a quick session and it's pretty solid, vending machines for ammo, kills drop resin for buying ammo etc.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any ideas why a Vive's tracking might freak out? My nephew has one and claims it's getting floaty occasionally, but it'd work with with just one base station instead of two. I tried it several times over a few weeks and couldn't reproduce. Until today. When it happens, it's like the frame of reference does a hoola-hoop, giving the impression of weaving around drunk. Any clue as to what that could be? A base station failing and desyncing? Any way to log/trace these events?

--edit: In relation to below, I removed anything reflective and it still happens.

I had intermittent tracking issues and grey outs with my vive for year, before I worked out that it only happened when the washing machine was running. I assume something to do with being an old house with dodgy wiring, but I think it shows that lighthouses can be sensitive as gently caress.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 28, 2020

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

It might also be the vibration from the washing machine? Was it anywhere near the wall the sensors were on?

Nah, laundry is built out onto the back of the house, VR room is it the front as far away as it can be.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
I got into VR about 2 years ago with a Vive, like you expecting it to be far better for cockpit games. Since then I've upgraded to a rift s and am a huge VR nerd now. There's so much poo poo in VR that you don't really get until you experience it. Superhot, beat saber, pistol whip, compound and many more are all amazing experiences and great games. Rift s is great and can highly recommend.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Anyone played Battlewake? On a pretty big sale at the moment on greenmangaming.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
I can highly recommend the rift s as excellent price vs performance, and more comfortable then the quest. There are a tonne of quality VR games, I'd recommend superhot VR and pistol whip

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Pistol whip just got a huge update, 3 new songs, challenge mode, a few new modifiers. It continues to be great!

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Contemplating getting a Reverb G2, a little worried about the lack of capacitive buttons, but for now am still very happy with my Rift S. It did everything I wanted for an upgrade from the Vive, comfort, better controllers, and improved resolution. Still I think the best value/money PCVR headset.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah I've played a little bit of phasmophobia. Seems potentially cool, could use a bit more of a tutorial, and having friends to play with helps a lot.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Anyone who has a friend and hasn't tried the Davigo demo currently available should give it a go. Nailing someone midair with a thrown boulder is one of the most satisfying feelings I've ever hand in all of gaming. I'm super looking to the full release now.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
What, if anything, are people using to drop desktop windows into vr while using a quest2 and virtual desktop? I miss the oculus integration sometimes of my rift s, but wireless is so nice.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
GTFO VR mod is back up and running, updated for IL2CPP, and it's loving great. Recommend playing a lot of pancake GTFO first, so you know what you're doing, but GTFO's greatest strength has always been the atmosphere and that is amazing in VR. https://github.com/DSprtn/GTFO_VR_Plugin

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Creepy hand tracking incoming.

https://twitter.com/DennysKuhnert/status/1387423089340911623

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Anyone have fps issues with Halflife Alyx? I have a 3080 and i5 8600k, and while it runs fine almost all the time I occasionally get drops down to 40fps. Happens on both Rift S and Quest 2, and doesn't seem to matter what quality settings I run it at. I've never really been that fussed, but just read a tech performance review that says a 2080 gets 180fps n never drops a frame. fpsVR has my cpu n gpu both running about 60%.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Pretty good posted:

I just want someone to port retroarch and let me play Goonies 2 on an imax screen

https://www.emuvr.net/ I think you might be pleasantly surprised. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZsBaOFi9vM

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Really enjoying the Iron rebellion alpha. Not a tonne of gameplay in it, just one wave survival map, but they have nailed the stompy bot feel and it's great. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1192900/IRON_REBELLION/

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Had an oculus update today and now airlink seems super blurry and smudged. Tried manually updating the bitrate but that made everything run like garbage. Any ideas? Airlink has been perfect until now.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

I picked up EverSlaught and overall have been enjoying it. Keeping in mind it's under $20 currently, the environments are high res and well done, and flipping your left arm between grapple hook and maybe spoiler built-in shotgun is satisfying. The melee isn't up to Boneworks/S&S standards, but it's better than Until you Fall since its more free-form. It could use more polish and some freaking physics of some kind (you just fall towards the ground at like +10 gravity when jumping off of ledges) but I guess at this point we need to subsidize WIP projects for PCVR considering how Facebook is eating up the market.

I would agree with this, except for the melee being better then Until you Fall. The melee in Everslaught just feels like a waggle simulator, whereas I really enjoyed the mechanics from Until you Fall. That said, the left hand mechanics are awesome and a tonne of fun to use.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Pistol whip is as always great, though I kinda wish they had worked out a better way of working out their leaderboards, my top 20 scores are all gone and now no-one is playing deadeye headshot mode.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

They just updated the way their leaderboards work specifically because they didn't works that well before. How else would do it?

In the past they mentioned that they didn't want to have separate leaderboards for each modifier to not split the community. Modifiers were all a %bonus to score which worked well, I think maybe some kind of hybrid where modifiers still give a bonus, but scoreboards maybe split between Deadeye and Non-Deadeye, or maybe per weapon.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

How do I train for deadeye because I tried it out (plus headshots only) and killed basically nothing and I want to try doing this from a stationary pov first

I wouldn't train for deadeye with headshots only on, either drop the difficulty down and try easy or medium deadeye, or use some of the easier modifiers along with deadeye so you can concentrate on aim and less having to dodge at the same time.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
I just can't get my Quest 2 comfortable. I've tried elite strap, DAS with adapter, I keep going back to the Rift S for any serious vr sessions. I would love it to bits if it was more comfortable.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Resident Evil 2 and 3 vr mod has been released, with full motion controls. https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases/tag/v1.1

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Everyone grabbing a key is in for a good time, Pistol Whip is climbing my most played vr game pretty rapidly.

Shoefish fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
Not sure if this has been posted here, but anyone disappointed by hitman vr, or anyone else, should try Space Docker VR https://store.steampowered.com/app/1728830/Space_Docker_VR/. I'm only halfway through the introduction missions, and it is so far an excellent newtonian space flight sim, with extremely satisfying docking mechanics, and surprisingly funny corporate tutorials.