Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

raditts posted:

The windows hotspot method gave me worse bandwidth on my quest than the wifi router on the other side of the house, but ymmv I guess.

Do you know where to find the form or whatever to get it replaced? I was looking for it the other day and came up empty.

I'm pretty sure you just put in a support ticket, at which point they will ask you for the serial numbers on the strap arms and a picture of the broken strap.

https://support.oculus.com/articles/contact-us/contact-us/index-contact-us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Regarding Windows 11 and VR, apparently the guy from Virtual Desktop found that some upcoming w11 update (optionally available now, forced update on nov 9) fixes some issue where the streamer would drop to 30-something fps if it got minimized.

I really haven't had issues with w11 and vr, been fine so far even with airlink.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Can you use the sticks to move on an oculus controller?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

BrainDance posted:

What's more worth it, if you have a Quest, is the drbeef doom 3 port, doom3quest.

Doom 3 is somewhere around 5 bux usually.

Doom 3 is on sale on steam right now for a dollar twenty five

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

explosivo posted:

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall: The Reckoning (okay i added that last one but cmon) came out today. This looked kinda rad, and the videos on the store page continue to look rad. Anyone know if it's as good as it looks?

Edit: Seems like it doesn't work through virtual desktop on quest right now. Nobody says it doesn't work on airlink though so :shrug:

AirLink works fine. They say they fixed the Virtual Desktop issue but I don't understand how because there hasn't been a patch or anything. Was still broken for me last night, I need to reach out to them on twitter or something.

The world in it is pretty good looking. All the art is, really. The gameplay seems ok but it's also like it's a little bit off? Hard to explain. Just seems like you swing and sometimes the enemy is just out of reach and your hits don't connect. Either that or I'm missing some hitbox? But i'm really intrigued to keep playing with it. I just hope they can fix VD because it runs a ton better for me than AirLink does simply because I have the resolution scaled down (I suppose I could do that in Steam but eh).

I have a amd 3700x and a nvidia 3070, for reference. It's definitely playable even in AirLink but I have no idea what the frame rate was. It wasn't really warping with the SSW so I assume it was fine.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Ahh right, until you fall, sorry.

Haven't played the other.

After The Fall comes out on Dec 9. UploadVR had a video about it, looks pretty good. I mean, not Alyx good but nothing is. I kind of wish Alyx wasn't my first major game i played in VR because it set standards that no one else has met.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

Don’t get the elite strap as it has more or less a 100% failure rate after about a year.

My Elite strap broke after 4 days. I literally put it on my head like 3 times. It's kind of shocking how bad these things are.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Yep. I was doing every combo of trigger and lifting i could find. I tried all the weapons, both hands, it just refused to do the second spell. The swipe right to left worked!

Did you guys switch which weapon you had equipped? It's not super clear but the swipe right to left works on the one staff and the other staff is the one for raising and doing the other spell. It's pretty clunky, honestly.

Sab669 posted:

I spent a while unable to lift a door open that you were apparently supposed to fling open. Sometimes enemy AI just bugs out and they stand there. It hasn't really wowed me but I like Warhammer stuff so :shrug:

The fixed the skeletons t-posing in a patch that came out the next day which is always kind of "oof". I understand coming in hot as it's pretty much my company's MO for our enterprise software but when the first enemies in the game get stuck it's kind of embarrassing. That and the hitboxes were messed up on some of the enemies as well. It definitely feels a lot better since that 1.1 patch.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm curious how you propose that happens for PCVR and non native applications.

Can't they just use OpenXR now?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Rectus posted:

It's still possible for the developer to check what runtime OpenXR connects to, and disallow it if it's something they don't want you to play the game on.

That would be an incredibly petty move but with the things Epic has been doing lately, I guess it wouldn't shock me.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Launching a game that just falls flat in a small studio or solo is pretty depressing, but it happens. A lot.

I will say, the trailer for this game is pretty boring and makes the game look boring. I'm really not a huge fan of using "MR" for these trailers in general and in this case it just makes the game look dull as dishwater.

This Synth Riders trailer is pretty misrepresentative of the kind of stuff people will do when they play the game (I contend that people aren't spinning around 360 while playing the game and dancing) but it's still interesting to watch and overall gives you the feeling of what you do when you play the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCx1e3vIsKI

Compare that to this segment in their trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Bn9qdy3FY&t=60s

I may buy the game just to support an independent dev but they really need to rework their marketing for this game because it's pretty bad.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

If that is the case than that's awesome. I guess I just assumed it was total marketing fluff but if that's the way people play than that is pretty cool.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

What are the go to prescription lens insert vendors these days? Preferably ones that play nice with Canada. I presume VRoptician is the call still.

Someone linked VRWave earlier and I ended up ordering from them. Still waiting, they use USPS (maybe I had an option?) and it's stuck in the USPS hasn't processed/picked up yet stage. Hopefully I'll get them next week and I can tell you guys if I made a huge mistake since my prescription for these things ended up costing me $150 (unsurprising, my eyes suck).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Alctel posted:

There is a shitload of untapped (heh) money in VR sex stuff and I've been trying to thinking of a way to get in on it. Maybe a cheap mocap setup to make scences for virtuamate or something

Steam shows you *ahem* interesting things when you go to the VR section and you have it unfiltered and because of that I know about a game called "VRHot". It has hilarious patch notes, only because I've never seen a game before include the words "improved reliability of anal penetration" in a changeset

So yeah people are definitely trying to 'tap' that market

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

marumaru posted:

Elite: Dangerous
MSFS / DCS / War Thunder
VTOL VR
BallisticNG
Derail Valley
House of the Dying Sun
I Expect You To Die
No Man's Sky
Assetto Corsa / Project Cars 2
Project Wingman
Star Trek Bridge Crew / Pulsar Lost Colony
Superhot
Tabletop Sim
Tetris Effect

Star Wars Squadrons is pretty good but at this point it's also pretty much dead as far as the multiplayer goes. I'm not sure if it's still available but it was free on Amazon Prime Gaming a little while back.

edit: it's not :(

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The VR works that way? That's good to know.

The single player is pretty good. I know a lot of people referred to it as a "tutorial" but it's really not.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Seeing people streaming After the Fall with the stream title "WARNING: DO NOT BUY After The Fall - PlayStation VR Edition | PSVR LIVESTREAM" is pretty disappointing.

I mean I wouldn't get it on PSVR at this point anyway because :lol: but it sounds like a lot of the complaints go beyond the bad controls and performance on PSVR and are more about design choices and the game being ultimately pretty light and kind of boring. Apparently the game is kind of average all around. Bummer

edit: the PSVR version is left handed mode only basically, rofl

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 6, 2021

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I just got my VR Wave prescription inserts for the Quest 2 and oh man it's amazing. Not only is it way more comfortable to not jam my glasses into my skull, I feel like everything is way more clear, I'm not seeing any blur that I would get if i look at it from a weird angle previously. Plus the way that it clips on and has a magnetic clip basically is a free light blocker.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Diephoon posted:

drat thanks for shouting these out, am I reading right they're only $30? I thought prescription lenses would be more expensive.

Yeah when I plugged in my prescription it went up to like $130 and then there are adds you do on top of that (blue light, etc). Not everyone is as blind as me though.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

130 is pricey. I was thinking of going with Reloptix as they claim flat rate on all their lenses at 80 bucks including blue filters and high index prescriptions.

Yeah I did basically zero research because someone linked it and I was like oh man I should get those. :v: Admittedly, the Reloptix ones look a lot nicer in terms of the actual plastic assembly but the VR Wave ones aren't bad.

Pretty sure these lenses came out of China so I'm curious how they got them as quick as they did. The entire turnaround for it was two and a half weeks.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I felt the same way, honestly. It's the only VR game that has made me kind of nauseous but ymmv.

Steam winter sale is on and just about every major VR game is on sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/winter2021_vr

...except Beat Saber

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh hey, another OCULUS30 code. Is Beat Saber crossbuy, and is the Rift version as easy to mod as the Steam version?

The app is not, but the music packs are.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So lately Alyx has been weirdly laggy, even though it ran flawlessly at max settings when I first got it - weirdly it seems to correlate with saving? Anyway, when I last ran it it was lagging and stuttering a lot, I was encountering weird FOV problems, etc and eventually I quit. When I went back into my office like forty minutes later I realized my computer was absolutely roaring, the fans on my card were blasting and everything was super slow. I didn’t see anything weird in the task manager so I just restarted the computer and everything was fine, but has anyone encountered anything like that with Alyx specifically? Its also just so weirdly out of nowhere after it ran so well initially.

Did you update to Windows 11? I just found out about that fps fix for airlink/virtual desktop last night, which is to go into Settings > System > Display > Graphics > Change Default Graphics Settings and turn off GPU scheduling, which can/will make windows throttle GPU usage of applications that aren't foregrounded. Seemed to make an immediate and significant difference.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I missed the talk from a few pages back about eye tracking but I kind of wanted to throw out some experience I've had with eye tracking just because I actually have it.

I have been working for years with mixed reality devices, specifically the HoloLens, Hololens 2, and the Magic Leap ML1. Both the Hololens 2 and the Magic Leap have eye tracking. It is kind of fidgety and we really haven't integrated doing anything with it other than allowing a user on a webrtc based call to see what the user is looking at by getting that eye data and feeding it over a socket to the web client so that they can overlay an icon over the 2d image. There are some applications for using it such as the ability to scroll text but we've just never tried integrating it.

I say all this to say one thing in particular about eye tracking that is a important piece of feedback.

You know what eye tracking on neither device works with?

Glasses.

Granted, the Magic Leap doesn't really do glasses at all anyway (I have to wear it over my glasses, it's hella uncomfortable because I've been too lazy to get the inserts. it's not really our main platform), but the Hololens 2 just will not pick up correct eye tracking data at all. It might be the case that it works with some people, but I have pretty bad astigmatism so I'm sure it can't figure out how the gently caress to read my eye orientation. I'm actually kind of shocked the iris unlock works, to be honest. Regardless, these are $3500 and $2300 devices, respectively, so I'm curious how they can fit all this hardware into the PSVR2 and have it not cost a significant amount of money. I'll be really interested to see their price point. Then again, I'm sure both of these MR devices really are so expensive due to their having to be self contained with portability and comfort restraints. The PSVR doesn't have to worry about as much processing and obviously no battery.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Seeing the devs scrambling to get their servers working makes me not miss working in games.

I hope it's good. I bought it on oculus just so it'd have the cross buy in case I ever feel like just playing it natively on the Q2.

Warhammer 40k: Battle Sister came out with an update last night, seems to be related to an upcoming Steam release. Unless i'm crazy, it seems like they did some real improvements to how some of the environments and some of the animations look. I need to play through the rest of it, it's pretty good imho.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I guess I'm one of the unlucky few for whom Windows 11 has noticeable effects on VR performance, but only in certain circumstances. Circumstance one is playing Hitman 3, at all, which is whatever because Hitman VR isn't great anyways. But circumstance two is that I get a huge dip in performance if I have a web browser open at the same time as a VR app. I do this often, either to play music through YouTube or to use the VRCW website to search for VRChat worlds.

Otherwise it was mostly okay, but since there was no actual benefit or improvement I decided to just roll Windows back to 10. :shrug:

Try this, I feel like it made a difference for me but of course ymmv (I know if fixes issues with airlink/virtual desktop if things get backgrounded)

• Open Settings. ...
  • Click “System” in the settings sidebar, then on “Display” in the main pane.
  • Click on the “Graphics” heading.
  • Press “Change Default Graphics Settings”
  • Turn hardware GPU schedule on or off via the toggle.

fake edit: actually looking at your use case, this is almost certainly it

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I appreciate the post, but I've already rolled it back and don't feel like.. un-rolling it back. I went ahead and turned on Hardware GPU Scheduling though because maybe it'll be a general improvement even in Windows 10 :shrug:

Oh, in Windows 11 it turns it on by default but you actually want it off. Basically, anything that is not the active application has it's GPU throttled. This really messes up things like Virtual Desktop and I imagine that if you have things like web browsers active it could do the same.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Harminoff posted:

So I guess all apps right now have to be quest1 compatible. We aren't even getting full use of quest2 right now until this restriction goes away?

https://twitter.com/kideternal/status/1488276744633126912

I'm really confused to hear this. I mean, isn't Resident Evil 4 only available on Quest 2?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

GreenManGaming has a PCVR sale. Not much but some decent deals: https://www.greenmangaming.com/vr-t...pgatetoken=true

Edit: actually is a lot, you have to click show all

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

You know what, buying VR games kinda suck. Way less reviews, way less opinions on Internet, way less videos on yt, etc. Oh yeah, and higher prices, of course.

"I bought this game for 25 dollars 5 years ago but I can't recommend it. The devs abandoned it and have stopped updating it after 4 years of doing so for free. DO NOT BUY"
- just about every review on oculus, basically

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Grabbed Tetris Effect a few days ago when it was on sale and finally got the chance to spend some time in it today. It's great, of course, but I'm still astonished how I have this technology I couldn't even imagine as a kid strapped to my face at a reasonable price, and the best experiences I have had on it are a technologically and aesthetically novel but straightforward implementation of the oldest successful video game, simulated miniature golf, and 3D jigsaw puzzles.

I mean what else can be said other than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kw9mks-wd8

Turin Turambar posted:

Into the Radius is coming to Quest 2

I really appreciate how much work this team has done in doing continual improvements to the game but honestly the effect it's had is that every time I think about playing it, I see some upcoming change and go "eh i'll play when v2.0 v2.1 v2.2 comes out. I really should load it up.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Was wondering how it could so closely ape the design of the quest 2 and then I saw the company is owned by the Chinese billionaire who owns TikTok. Checks out lol

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I bought the kiwi 10 foot cable for $18. Their 16 foot one is $26. Don't buy that official one, I know it has like special shielding to keep out martian rays or something but honestly, it's not worth it.

Honestly, I'd try using AirLink and/or Virtual Desktop first. I pretty much never went back to the cord after that.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

That's a fair point. I forgot about sideloading. Although if all you're doing is sideloading than definitely don't get that $80 cable :)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Sale on VR games on greenmangaming

https://www.greenmangaming.com/vr-t...pgatetoken=true

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Skyrim VR is good with mods (so they say)
After the Fall seemed pretty good but I haven’t played it much
I think Wanderer was supposed to be good?
Super hot VR is kind of a staple

Dunno, just don’t buy borderlands because it doesn’t work right on any modern VR sets

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

There's some pretty good PCVR games in this bundle for $5 ea, including Arizona Sunshine:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-a...cj_aid=13212017

Shouldn't this be "There's some pretty good PCVR games in this bundle, and also Arizona Sunshine"? :v:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh? Single what?

It's good fun. Good exercise. I've been playing it nightly, for exercise.

Think there's some confusion with Until you Fall and After the Fall

Is Until you Fall any different on Steam rather than native on Q2? Like do the levels work differently as not being small little zones? Or is it pretty much the same?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Agent355 posted:

I just got my quest yesterday and played with it for a few hours and everything seemed fine. I stopped for the night and now this morning it won't turn on. Maybe the battery drained overnight? But when I plug it in to charge the little charging light isn't coming on.

Somewhere on the internet it says sometimes the charging light won't come on at all when your battery is REALLY dead, also I guess the cable/adapter it came with could be bad?

I have a spare cable coming today anyway, I bought a 20ft one to use the headset wired in if I felt like it, so I'll be able to test that when it gets here.

Is this something other people have experienced?

The Quest battery will definitely drain on standby. I know that if I disconnect mine and go to turn it on a week later with it just having been sitting there, it's pretty much guaranteed to be dead. In fact [checks unit], yup mine is drained as we speak (although I get a battery dead icon in the headset itself so it's better than normal).

Hopefully your unit is not kaput. There's no dust in the usb-c port or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Agent355 posted:

It is unfortunately very dead. I've already started the amazon return process. Unfortunately I can't get a new one on amazon because they're out of stock because of the price hike lol. Luckily best buy still had one so I just bought that instead.

I could have gone through meta support directly but I was worried about getting the run around and having them spend weeks waiting to ship it back and forth and then try and 'fix' it instead of just giving me a new one right away.

For how long you've had it, yeah I would just do the return and replace like you're doing. No reason dealing with their support, although it's usually not bad (I had to replace their garbo elite strap after mine broke, although I still have it NIB and i'm just using a kiwi now)