Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

sigher posted:

The biggest problem is the price though, tracking issues aside what does the Cosmos offer for that extra $300 over the Rift S?

A higher-resolution and higher-refresh display, far better built-in audio, a mechanical IPD adjustment, and expandability via the front faceplate to allow for better tracking and additional compatibility in the future.

Granted, that's all offset by the terrible optics, controllers that are on par with WMR at best, and tracking that's currently a nightmare, but if everything actually functioned and the optics weren't garbage I could easily see an argument for it as the most versatile headset on the market without any of the dumb hardware choices made by the Rift S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Blade Runner posted:

My issue is that, even if all this stuff worked, you have to justify it against the Index at that pricepoint, which is hard.

I mean, it's $300 cheaper and arguably more versatile. If it executed at the top of its potential, I feel like "$700 for a Rift S with much better audio, much better displays, mechanical IPD adjustment, and the ability to upgrade to Index-level tracking and controllers while still having inside-out as an option for portability" is a hell of a proposition.

Unfortunately it didn't come within a mile of its potential, so all this is kind of moot.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Calipark posted:

Makes it sound like playing PC games on the Quest is a total after thought

I mean... it is. They've been pretty open about that. The Quest is a standalone headset with no display input that they managed to retrofit a solution into after the fact, it wasn't built from the ground up to allow PC games which is why it's taken months for the feature to be activated.

It's still drat impressive that it exists at all, considering nothing else even attempts to straddle that line.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'd say the reaction on the internet seems pretty negative outside VR circles. People have been antsy for a single player Valve game and a negative reaction seems inevitable if the first game in ages is VR only. If they announce a normal straight forward flat screen single player game alongside I'm sure that'd change instantly.

Since Valve has been tinkering with VR for a long time I am really interested in seeing what new ideas they show off in HL:A. Outside of Oculus I don't think there is any other company who has put near so much time into experimenting with VR development. I would be very very surprised if it's anything like a full game though.

Yep, people are pissed because Valve barely releases games, so a big new release from them that people can't play without significant additional expense (and sometimes even that won't do it if they just don't have the physical space) was never gonna go over well initially. If a Half-Life continuation wasn't one of the holy grails of gaming people wouldn't be nearly as irritated.

I can only imagine what the reaction will be if it turns out to be actually great.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That Italian Guy posted:

How's the Quest display/audio/comfort compared to the Oculus Rift(the old one, not the S)? If the Link is legit I may consider upgrading to it if there is a visual improvement.

Nalin covered the display and audio pretty well, but the comfort is a trade-off because while the Quest is more front-heavy, it also has a significantly wider and slightly deeper opening for the facial interface (which is an absolute godsend if you wear glasses) and uses much better material than the Rift's foam. I find the Quest overall significantly more comfortable than the Rift, even with its weight distribution issues.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Honestly I think the Rift S, Quest, and Samsung Odyssey are just about all equally tied in their viability as modern PC VR headsets, even excluding standalone. It shares the best controllers and optics in the price range with the Rift S, it shares proper IPD adjustment and deep black levels with the Odyssey, and it runs entirely off of a single USB 3 port. Comfort is iffy, but the same can be said for the Rift S and Odyssey as well (especially depending on how you feel about halo straps versus goggle straps), and it feels much better with headphones than the Rift S does.

Meanwhile, they all have pretty massive drawbacks. The Quest currently requires you to purchase a cable separately and has the worst resolution of the bunch thanks to video compression, the Rift S just flat-out won't work for a decent chunk of people since the IPD is fixed, and the Odyssey has the worst tracking and controllers of the bunch and is built on a platform with a much less convincing future than the Oculus headsets.

But all things being equal, I think there's just as many reasons to recommend the Quest as a dedicated PCVR headset at this point as the other headsets in this price range, depending on what someone's priorities are.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't the video compression supposed to be improved for the full release build with Quest Link?

There's been hints that they (Carmack in particular) want to improve the compression, but I don't think it's reasonable to recommend a headset based on a vague future promise. And even if the compression rate improves, that may not mean that the resolution of the streamed video will improve.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

RandomBlue posted:

Index still has lesser IPD range and I personally like the Oculus touch controllers better than the knuckles. Index is definitely not the best solution for everyone, though it may be for many.

I also noticed significantly worse god rays with the Index than the Quest, almost as bad as the CV1. It's the one big blemish on an otherwise impeccable headset, in my opinion (I also think the Index controllers are laid out pretty awkwardly for everything that isn't gripping, but I imagine I'd get used to it fairly quickly).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Stick100 posted:

There has been no resolution to let Pavlov in the store, To the Top on the store, Climbey on the store.

Climbey's dev never submitted the game for approval.

The Pavlov situation was resolved a day after it happened, and it's releasing on the Oculus Quest store on December 19.

There's been no word on To The Top after Oculus offered to get in touch with them, but who knows what that means.

Of your examples, one is kinda legitimate, one is getting on the store and was a misunderstanding from the beginning, and one never even tried to get on the store.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

SCheeseman posted:

Per the description in SideQuest, he was denied.

His own comments on Reddit, up to a couple weeks ago, keep saying that he decided to not attempt an official submission after development was about 80% completed because he doesn't like the requirement to fill out pitch documents and was discouraged about his own chances after seeing other games rejected.

Edit: he was rejected from the Oculus Rift store though, because the PC version relies on Steamworks APIs for level sharing.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 7, 2019

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Without the SDK all you functionally achieve is "Which of my favourite games can I try this hot new feature on? Oh, nothing I guess :nallears:". This is the kind of thing the SDK should've been out among developers well release. Like with the Index Controllers and its three-odd iterations of prototypes.

It's not really a great gaming feature, it's something that's nice for media consumption. Hands for watching video or browsing the web and controllers for playing games seems like a pretty great combination.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

sigher posted:

So I got the Anker cable today and I'm finally trying out the Link stuff but the headset keeps disconnecting and it's pretty stuttery, is this par for the course right now? The former issue seems to be completely hosed.

Like everything Oculus has ever released, it's incredibly picky about your USB ports.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Taintrunner posted:

AS is an incredibly early VR game. I ragequit after the dark mine sequence where a bunch of zombies came to intrude my personal space. It isn't great. Frankly, the Quest isn't great.

The Quest is great.

Arizona Sunshine is trash on every platform.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not new to VR, H3VR just has a baffling way of doing things and doesn’t explain them, as everyone else has confirmed. This works in a game like elite dangerous, where you are in a spaceship that doesn’t exist in real life and therefore doesn’t have a lot of preconceived rules it has to follow other than “it obeys the laws of physics”. It doesn’t work in a game that simulates real life things like “walking” and “accurately modeling all aspects of gun handling except this one critically important part”. I’ll try again and see if it gets better.

The 30 minute save thing is just bad game design on the part of boneworks, VR or not, but I’ll go back through the opening segment and see if it suits me better once the game gets moving and gives me a gun and things like that. To be fair I had the same frustration with Persona 5 and it’s hour long gaps between saves. I hate feeling like I HAVE to keep playing to save or I’ll lose all this progress and have to rush back thru it.

Just wait a few weeks, Boneworks is being updated with significantly more frequent checkpoints in January.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

a boring marketing firm

Nobody's under the impression that Facebook is anything other than a boring marketing firm. The point is that over the past few years "boring marketing firms" have earned significantly more sinister reputations. It's like saying something is "just a bank" in 2010.

I've got a Facebook account because I've had one for years anyway and I only use it for Oculus stuff at this point, but I'm not under any delusions about what kind of company they are.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

Because its been 2 weeks. Thats what we're trying to say here. Shove it into the OP or 2nd post or something and lets move on.

Or people can discuss a topic that's recent and relevant to VR in the thread about VR without being policed by people who would rather just discuss Beat Saber and Boneworks from here to the end of time.

Like I don't even care much one way or the other about Facebook here but it's nonsense to say it's either not relevant or too old to discuss considering some of the other things that get talked about here.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except the Rift S and Quest are far cheaper and do the same job far better for an inside-out headset, and the Index is the better purchase for anyone already looking at a Vive Pro setup. Especially if they already have a regular Vive. HTC had squat to build on and a bad device to do it with.

It's not some hidden gem that deserves more love, it's just not good hardware by any measure and it's not hard to see why nobody's buying it.

You're saying this like you disagree with Doctor w-rw-rw- but then basically back him up: the product was bad and their marketing sucked, so they whiffed whatever narrow margin of opportunity might have existed. What's the disagreement? He never claimed it was a hidden gem that deserved more love.

And you keep bringing up the Index, Rift S and Quest, but Oculus and Valve hardware basically don't exist in China. If HTC couldn't manage to sell this headset in a market where their only meaningful competition is their own older headsets, that's particularly embarrassing (and deserved, considering the Cosmos itself).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Lemming posted:

I think it probably comes down to the difference between "What can we get away with doing in VR? What doesn't make things worse, how can we take advantage of the disconnect that the players will tolerate?" and "How do we enhance the feeling of connectedness and groundedness in the world with the player? How do we contribute to a believable illusion that you're somewhere you're not?"

The issue is that the latter doesn't play out the same for everyone.

For example, almost without exception I find IK bodies to be more distracting and less grounding than floating hands, not less, because floating hands have a single constant state of abstraction (my body is invisible) while an IK body is frequently slipping in and out of accuracy, drawing attention to itself and making me feel disconnected.

Essentially, floating hands make me feel like these are my hands and IK arms make me feel like these are not my arms. More is shown, sure, but I don't feel more grounded or immersed as a result. I feel like I'm controlling a robot via video feed rather than actually being there in person, with Boneworks being the absolute worst offender in this, one of the least immersive VR games I've ever played because every design decision seemed centered around making things realistic for the meat puppet in the game rather than the limitations I'm working with as a player.

The biggest exception to all this for me is Lone Echo, which honestly feels like a special case since its movement is so uniquely tied to your hands in a way something like Half-Life really never had as an option. Making you play as a robot also introduces a bit of a visual disconnect that helps mitigate the IK disconnect for me.

And the thing is, I know all of this doesn't apply to everyone. Hell, it may not even apply to most (I am, after all, the person who kind of misses node-based teleportation games because they tended to emphasize physically walking around your actual play space more)! I'm just saying that different things are going to be immersive for different people, and you're going to have to overlook some kind of jank or visual disconnect regardless of what method a developer decides to go with, so I don't think it's fair to boil this down to "immersion versus comfort." What compromises work for each person is going to be extremely subjective, there's not a One True Immersion Solution until the technology itself allows for higher fidelity tracking and feedback.

Edit: oh hi next page i didn't notice

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

RandomBlue posted:

Finished The Room VR and it was good, if you liked the others in the series you'll like this one. Only about 3 hours but still worth it.

I love what's there but this is one of those games that really drives home how expensive VR games can be, because there's not really a massive difference between the phone games and the VR game in terms of asset complexity, puzzle design or game length, yet those launched at $5 each while this one's $30. $15 would feel right, $20 would be acceptable, but $30 for what amounts to a few minimal-difficultly escape rooms is a bit much, even with the relatively solid (but still clearly constrained) production values.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cojawfee posted:

I still have a problem where I keep gripping the controllers and that causes me to accidentally grab things in Alyx. I need to get my brain to remember that they aren't the touch controllers, I can let go of them.

This is what's annoying about the Index controllers, they basically swapped "you have to grip the controllers at all times" for "you have to leave your hands open unless you actively want to do something or else poo poo will teleport into them constantly." It doesn't wind up feeling any more natural since your hands are still forced into a position, and if I'm going to be forced into an abstraction either way I'd rather just go with the one I'm already used to and hold the drat controllers.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

For some reason using the DAS made the Quest less comfortable for me, regardless of how I got it set up. It doesn't really do anything to alleviate the front-heaviness of the headset, and I found it didn't grip my head as well as the default Quest strap unless I tightened it more comparitively, so the end result just felt bulkier and tighter with no real upsides. A counterweight probably would have solved that, but a counterweight also solves my issues with the original strap.

Though with everything regarding headsets, YMMV on this. I also don't find the Index or original Rift terribly comfortable.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AndrewP posted:

Am I correct in that you can't play Oculus games this way?

Oculus store games work just fine with Virtual Desktop.

And I'm with the people who find low-fidelity environments weirdly more immersive than higher fidelity stuff. I think it's because the blatant artificiality lets my brain just accept the world on its own terms, while stuff that's trying to be photo-realistic keeps showing the areas where it isn't quite working. Similar to the whole argument about IK being immersive or not, it mostly comes down to whether fidelity or consistency makes a bigger difference to your immersion, and the answer seems to be different for different people.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 18, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Isometric Bacon posted:

I swear in the last few months the Quest has gotten more updates, features and huge quality of life improvements than the original Rift did over its entire lifespan.

In short, this is awesome.

The original Rift's interface was an extremely basic menu that you had to navigate with an Xbox One controller because there were no motion controls at all. It's really easy to forgot just how much of what we consider basic VR functionality wasn't there at launch, it improved a ton. The Quest's updates have been fantastic, but aside from Link they've been fairly incremental by comparison.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hhhat posted:

so a Rift S because it seems to fit with my computer buying philosophy

which is i get pretty good stuff a while after its come out and some other redic thing is now the most bestest and expensive

I dont have a big place at all and don't really want to swing my arms around my living room I dont think

I understand beat saber is like, everyones favorite thing ever, or maybe that was 3 years ago, if I get the Rift S, can I still swing my arms around if I decide I want to?

My sweet spot is high performance at cheap cost, which I know sounds silly, but like I got a GTX 660 when it was midrange good for maybe 200

So here's where VR is right now:

All relevant headsets support full hand tracking and head movement.

The Oculus Quest is a portable headset that's about as powerful as a Switch. Games are much lower fidelity than what you get on PC, but play the same. It can also be hooked up to a PC to function as a PC headset, but you get a bit of video compression since it's done over USB. It's $400.

The Rift S is a PC-only headset that uses similar tracking and identical controllers as the Quest, but it's more comfortable to wear and the screens operate at a slightly higher FPS, in addition to getting a pure video signal. It's $400.

The Index is a PC-only headset with better tracking than the Quest or Rift S, at the expense of needing to set up additional equipment around your room. The controllers feature finger tracking, the audio is SIGNIFICANTLY better, and it's more comfortable than the Quest (whether the Index or Rift S is more comfortable mostly comes down to which style you prefer). It's $1,000 all-in.

The Quest is the cheapest option if you just want reliable VR with no other equipment, because it's entirely self-contained, and it can be used as a portable option if space is an issue around your computer. The Rift S is the one to get if the price point is right, you have a VR-ready PC, and you will absolutely not use the headset portably. The Index is the best headset overall, but considering it's more expensive than the Rift S and Quest combined you'd expect it to be.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hadlock posted:

Oh, I am mostly interested in how buggy the multiplayer will be

The singleplayer is usually very polished with an unusually good framerate as the studio has to pass various quality reviews by both X-Box and Playstation teams etc etc. Often times graphics can even be turned up because the singleplayer uses a very different variant of the engine specific to each level/stage etc. Multiplayer is usually an absolute clusterfuck because it's much more of a sandbox and doesn't go through the same review processes.

Battlefield 4 was basically a warmed over version of Battlefield 3, should have been a slam-dunk mega map pack with some new vehicles and warmed-over code improvements, was a total clusterfuck anyways. Maybe this time, after 10 years, it'll be different

This isn't a DICE game.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zaphod42 posted:

The Index and Oculus controllers have thumbsticks and buttons on them too...

The Index and Oculus face buttons make perfect sense for VR controls but don't map properly to gamepad controls at all because they're split across both hands rather than all being grouped on the right, meaning half of them require you to take your thumb off the left analog stick (which is significantly more important than the right analog stick in just about every game). The NES is about where they top out in terms of being able to fully replicate a gamepad, everything above that is a compromise that requires adjustments to be usable. This isn't an issue at all if you're developing a game specifically for VR, but you can't just do a 1:1 transfer of gamepad controls to Oculus/Index controls unless the initial design wasn't relying heavily on the face buttons to begin with, which isn't the case for Hitman.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Marxalot posted:

That sounds like some wildly nickel and dime poo poo lmao.

e: "I want a headstrap, better battery, and the ability to link to a PC" puts you in Index/Reverb territory

The headstrap is $50 and there's plenty of cables online for around $30 or so, which brings the price up to $380, still cheaper than the original Quest and nowhere near Index territory.

And yeah, getting a bigger battery costs more, but that's not even an option with the Reverb / Index so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison there (and the battery doesn't matter if you're buying it primarily as a PC headset anyway).

Even if you decide you need the best headstrap with the built-in battery and will only buy official accessories and decide to buy the 256 gig model, that brings you up to $610 for a device that offers more functionality than the Reverb and is still not even close to the cost of an Index. And it's pretty silly to buy the most expensive option at every opportunity and then complain that it costs too much.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Marxalot posted:

Eh, the HMD itself is only around $500.

Yes, but it doesn't seem reasonable to compare a fully-kitted-out Quest 2 to an HMD-only Index, particularly when the cheapest Quest 2 model is fully functional while the Index HMD is a paperweight without some form of lighthouses and SteamVR controllers.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Marxalot posted:

Yeah I was half joking on the index because those (official, branded) accessory costs are pretty dire. I'm sure Rebuff Reality or someone else will have a battery/headstrap for half the price within a month. But assuming forums username Chaosbreather (and past history) isn't right about the Reverb G2 then that thing could* legitimately be a good alternative for people looking to buy into the hobby who don't necessarily need/care about being mobile**

* I've mostly been avoiding reading about the reverb because it's not out yet and I can't really muster the :effort: for things that don't exist yet
** dear god I wish my headset was wireless holy poo poo

I'm just saying someone who doesn't care about being mobile would have no reason to worry about the cost of the battery strap in the first place. If you're tethered, the Quest is charged by the cable as you play and there's not even a place to plug the extended battery in. It's entirely superfluous for Link usage.

I do think the Reverb G2 looks really solid (though, yeah, WMR tracking and the actual quality of the previous Reverb are reasons to be a bit cautious). I just think it's kinda silly to add up the most expensive options for the Quest and then compare it to a PCVR headset, when at least some of those more expensive Quest options exist exclusively for mobile play and others have cheap third party alternatives.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Thoatse posted:

I'm near certain the turbochuds in charge of FB only fired him because it because it became public knowledge.. a PR move purely for the sake of perception management

Even with that, when Facebook thinks you're making them look bad by supporting the far right too publicly, you must have hosed up pretty impressively.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Inacio posted:

it's $30 too
loving lol

And no crossbuy

I think the game looks fine for a cross-platform VRBR, and I think construction makes more sense here than it does in Fortnite (both because it's more limited and because this game's all about every surface being climbable), but $30 for a multiplayer-only game in VR with no crossbuy is just the dumbest goddamn thing.

Penpal posted:

Who ITT has a vive pro? What do you think of it? Pulling the trigger on one in the next day or so.

Also I would be really interested in a thread poll on what headset everyone is using. I'm mad curious 🤔

Quest here, looking at the Quest 2. I've owned every Oculus headset aside from the Rift S, and used the Vive, Vive Pro, Index, and Odyssey+. I just keep going back to how good the Oculus controllers are, and I generally prefer mobile VR to tethered whenever I have the option, but I can't deny the G2 is looking very interesting.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I was in the beta for this.

It's really good. Definitely the first racing game on mobile VR worth a drat, but beyond that, it's just a solid kart racer with good controls and physics, a slick presentation, good track design, and a decent selection of items that use VR pretty well. I'd say the game it reminds me of the most is the first Sega All-Stars Racing. The only thing I wish is that it had more tracks, but they've already said they're going to be adding more, and for $25 what's there is fine.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

After the nightmare that was the getting a 3080 waking up to see the Quest 2 in stock at Best Buy for curbside pickup was a welcome sight. I thought these were going to be insta selling out as well like every hit electronic item has been.

It sounds like one of the biggest reasons the Quest 2 exists at all is because it's a lot easier to manufacture than the original Quest, which had supply issues for most of its time on the market.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm hoping I'll be one of the few people to like the elastic strap, since I liked it on the Gear VR and Go and found the original Quest strap to be more comfortable than the DAS Frankenquest, so I'm clearly malformed to begin with.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 13, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I kind of understand having a lovely strap by default if the goal is to make them interchangeable. It makes the headset cheaper and then you get to just buy the strap you want, which feels silly now when there's only one viable "default" strap but will make more sense if and when third parties start making their own.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This feels significantly narrower than the Quest. I know the fit pack exists, but it'sa shame they went back to more rigid facial interfaces after the Go and Quest had a lot more padding out on the sides.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The hardware of the Quest 2 feels like an evolution of the Oculus Go, just like the Quest felt like an evolution of the original Rift. The color, the plastic-y construction, the feel of the controller grips, the elastic straps, the high quality (for the time) single LCD display, the lack of a full IPD slider, it all calls back to the Go pretty heavily. As someone who actually liked the Go quite a bit I dig this.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

blue squares posted:

Why the hell do I even need glasses/contacts when the screen is literally inches from my eyes?

Because the lenses focus your eyes much further out (I believe two meters).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

blue squares posted:

Ok, thanks everyone! I was frustrated so I got a bit reactionary. I truly appreciate the perspectives shared and I will try Half Life

It's definitely one of the best starting points. It has immense scale AND incredible detail, messing around with stuff never really stops being fun, and Valve did a lot to try and mitigate motion sickness for new players.

So far you've played the boxes-flying-at-you game, and the spinning-in-every-direction-with-no-sense-of-"down" game, so it's not a huge surprise that the first didn't really impress you and the second made you feel sick. It takes a while to get used to how VR works, and its level of immersion and comfort is going to vary with the content.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

VR won't wow you by making you think "wow, im in a real place!!!"

I'd say VR can absolutely do that, the thing is that it winds up being a pretty mundane feeling because "I'm really here" isn't actually a strong emotion until something snaps you out of it and you realize just how immersed you had been.

See also: people who say "this doesn't feel THAT realistic" right before trying to lean on a table that isn't there.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tom Guycot posted:

Sometimes the more mundane the experience the easier it is to feel like your there. Driving a truck in ATS at night, with the radio on, rain falling down, headlights on, i've legit started reaching for the AC vents to adjust them before catching myself, lol.

Completely agree with this. All the big shooters and such are fun, but the game I wind up losing myself in the most is Eleven Table Tennis.