Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Probation spree in thread this morning, slapfight over bad theorycrafting. This forum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The subforums are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drain finally scabs over, all the shitposters will drown. The accumulated filth of all their derails and threadshits will foam up about their keyboards and all the gimmick accounts and mods will shout “save us!”…

…and I’ll look down and whisper, “no.”

They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good posters like BravestOfTheLamps, or SuperMechagodzilla. Decent men, who believed in a day’s clout for a day’s posts. Instead, they followed the droppings of failed toxxers and parachute accounts and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice.

Now the whole forum stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those GBS posters and anime watchers and Let’s Players... and all of a sudden, nobody can think of anything to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watchmen premieres Sunday, October 20th at 9:00 PM EDT on HBO.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 11, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watchmen is maybe my favourite comic and Leftovers is probably my favourite show of the past 5 years so... I hope this turns out well.

Although I have faith in Lindelof NGL a lot of the marketing and dumb interview quotes have turned me off somewhat, and makes me feel like a lot of people won't give this show the time of day but we'll see.

Edit: Have there been any screener reviews yet?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 11, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hakkesshu posted:

Watchmen is maybe my favourite comic and Leftovers is probably my favourite show of the past 5 years so... I hope this turns out well.

Although I have faith in Lindelof NGL a lot of the marketing and dumb interview quotes have turned me off somewhat, and makes me feel like a lot of people won't give this show the time of day but we'll see.

Edit: Have there been any screener reviews yet?

I'm not sure if they've screened it for critics yet but I've actually seen the entire first episode!

I liked it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1184096088241905664?s=19

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1184016558823071744?s=19

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/1184120502706589697?s=19

It's good, folks

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I was hoping I wouldn't be into the show so I could avoid the discourse... but it's really good. I've seen the first two episodes and I kinda love it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So glad to know that, when I first heard of the series my main reaction was, "please be good".

A few years ago when Watching The Watchmen came out Dave Gibbons did a promotional tour. Fortunately I arrived early; the book store and organizers were caught off guard when hundreds and hundreds of fanboys showed up for the book signing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Watchmen is one of my favorite pieces of media ever created. If the show is good I might actually pay for hbogo again.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm really interested to see how it plays for people who haven't read the series or even seen the movie.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My optimism grows with these early reviews. But I imagine it won't take much to make me happy. I liked the movie, after all. :shobon:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I seriously can't wait for this. I also liked the movie and TBH haven't read the series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:fry:
This comes out tomorrow and Catherine on Monday!? :woop::derp::woop:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:fry:
This comes out tomorrow and Catherine on Monday!? :woop::derp::woop:

Wait whats this other show???

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will give this a shot but it is written by David Lindelof.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Tenzarin posted:

That’s the only reason I’m looking forward to it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The leftovers was legit good.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Leftovers is the rare show that continually gets better with each season, peaking with just a perfect finale.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I found my copy of the graphic novel while digging through some boxes today. I'll take it as a good sign.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

I found my copy of the graphic novel while digging through some boxes today. I'll take it as a good sign.

I gotta find mine. One of the few graphic novels I re-read every year or so.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I've been meaning to re-read the graphic novel, it's been a long time since I read it. I really should. Looking forward to this! Hope it's good. I liked the Leftovers quite a bit so I'm cautiously optimistic. I thought the watchmen movie was ok but not great.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Considering the ending of the movie was altered, is this supposed to be a sequel to the movie, or to the books?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Wait whats this other show???

Helen Mirren Catherine the Great series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

beanieson posted:

Considering the ending of the movie was altered, is this supposed to be a sequel to the movie, or to the books?

I have seen the first episode, and it is definitively a sequel to the book.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hated The Leftovers, but I loved the Watchman movie...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Arist posted:

I have seen the first episode, and it is definitively a sequel to the book.

Thanks

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hated The Leftovers, but I loved the Watchman movie...

wow

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lmao that is certainly an opinion

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah, how much of The Leftovers did you watch before deciding you hated it? Cause the first season (which I still loved) is easily the worst.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beanieson posted:

Yeah, how much of The Leftovers did you watch before deciding you hated it? Cause the first season (which I still loved) is easily the worst.

Yeah once it gets rolling it is fantastic.

muscles like this! posted:

Helen Mirren Catherine the Great series.

Oh awesome thanks I'll check that out too!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The difference between the two is what? That Ozy doesnt create a giant vagina space monster but it is something else right?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

algebra testes posted:

The difference between the two is what? That Ozy doesnt create a giant vagina space monster but it is something else right?

Pretty much, yeah.

I really liked Billy Crudup as Manhattan in the movie. I doubt it’ll happen but I’d love to see him reprise the role for the show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

beanieson posted:

First two seasons. I punched out after the second, I just hated all the characters. Was there even a third season?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

First two seasons. I punched out after the second, I just hated all the characters. Was there even a third season?

Yes the third and final season was amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Comic book: Fake space squid made from a psychic that causes people to think an alien accidentally invaded

Movie: Framing Doctor Manhattan to make it look like he was trying to take over the world by having him build generators and then blowing them up

They sprinkled all sorts of references to the space squid stuff throughout the series, so it is all completely set up beforehand and doesn't just come out of nowhere.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I remember is thinking the space squid was a better idea than what they came up with in the film. But I haven't seen the film in years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only issue I have with the space squid is that in a world where the only actual irregular thing is Dr. Manhattan it does kind of drop “oh yeah human psychics exist” in at the end out of nowhere. Otherwise it’s a much much better ending than the film’s.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole point of the psychic squid is to create one of the most horrifying, alien things humanity could ever conceive of, surrounded by the graphic deaths of all the characters we've seen over a dozen times throughout the comic. The movie ending takes the coward's way out and sterilizes it, making it leave very little lasting impact or emotional gravitas. It's a strange thing to argue for something being more violent and visceral when 90% of the film has much more of that than the comic, but when the time comes to using it in a non-gratuitous and actually meaningful way, the film chickens out. Not that I'm arguing that Snyder should have gone all-in on gore, just the original uses arguably some of the most striking and memorable imagery in a comic, while the film has a giant nondescript hole in the ground.

Like there's something to be said about being able to evoke 9/11 in a way the original comic never could, but the film doesn't even do that, really.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 20, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hakkesshu posted:

The whole point of the psychic squid is to create one of the most horrifying, alien things humanity could ever conceive of, surrounded by the graphic deaths of all the characters we've seen over a dozen times throughout the comic. The movie ending takes the coward's way out and sterilizes it, making it leave very little lasting impact or emotional gravitas. It's a strange thing to argue for something being more violent and visceral when 90% of the film has much more of that than the comic, but when the time comes to using it in a non-gratuitous and actually meaningful way, the film chickens out. Not that I'm arguing that Snyder should have gone all-in on gore, just the original uses arguably some of the most striking and memorable imagery in a comic, while the film has a giant nondescript hole in the ground.

Like there's something to be said about being able to evoke 9/11 in a way the original comic never could, but the film doesn't even do that, really.

The movie was almost three hours long, the last thing it needed was yet another subplot to pad out the runtime even more. I think not having to sit through all the stuff with the all the artists vanishing and also introducing the entire existence of human psychics and everything else involving the giant squid was worth not having a single scene of a giant squid on a pile of rubble just so people who read the comic could clap and go "yay, it's that thing from the comic!" and also nod knowingly at the tasteful visual homage to the worst domestic terrorist attack in history that just happened a few years ago.

The end message is still the same, that humanity is able to overcome its differences and unite in the face of an alien threat with unknowable power but that it's not going to last forever and ultimately countless lives were sacrificed for nothing, especially if Rorschach's journal winds up immediately blowing the deception wide open.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The weakest point of the comic was definitely the lack of setup/integration of the psychic stuff. It really did feel like Moore created a world where Dr. Manhattan was meant to be the sole super-powered being, yet it's revealed later on (and very minorly seeded earlier) that a decent percentage of the population is psychic also? It's a testament to the strength of the surrounding material that you never feel the need to question it.

I have no issue with the film's ending because of that. It does the job it needs to do for the story that the film is telling. The movie has far more dire problems than that, despite ending up being a pretty alright flick.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

So glad to know that, when I first heard of the series my main reaction was, "please be good".

A few years ago when Watching The Watchmen came out Dave Gibbons did a promotional tour. Fortunately I arrived early; the book store and organizers were caught off guard when hundreds and hundreds of fanboys showed up for the book signing.

This makes me wonder - does Moore hate tabletop RPG adaptations of his work the way he hates TV/movie adaptations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I was wondering if this would finally be the adaptation of Moore's work that he doesn't hate but I guess he proactively asked Lindelof to leave his name out of the credits and promo material so good luck with that.