Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I loved Lost and Leftovers unapologetically and I am all in on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

ElNarez posted:

Another thing I was thinking about regarding symbolism and motifs and all that pretentious stuff is the notion of "black and white" and how that plays in the show. The film is in black and white, the Kavalry wear Rorschach's black and white mask, Sister Night wears black and white (and beats up a guy on the other side of a bathroom door, very specifically calling back to Rorschach's prison escape from the comic), Panda is wearing black and white and he's really invested in not letting the cops have guns unless they really really need to. I'm thinking obviously there's a pattern but as for what it means I'm not sure yet.

The black and white thing is something Lindelof played with before in Lost.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Argon-40 posted:

I like that the Russian dude's costume is just a tracksuit.

Fantastic post buried in people bitching about Lost.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This show was amazing, all hail King Damon.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This thread confused me. Was this show too woke or not woke enough?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Did anyone NOT think that Lube Man was the skinny FBI guy that was obsessed with superheroes? Legit asking, I didn’t know this was a thing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Can anyone explain that Twitter account to me? I can't seem to scroll back far enough to truly unravel it.

As near as I could tell it was an echo chamber for writers and media critics that hate that people aren’t smart enough to agree with them while hawking their podcasts explaining why they are better than amateur racists like Damon Lindelof and JJ Abrams.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

zoux posted:

So is this like an ARG or something

HBO agreed to do an ARG that was an elaborate introduction for Titania McGrath expanded universe characters

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If GoT numbers is the standard, everything on HBO is a failure.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One thing we can all agree on, "how the west was really won" is the best song from the excellent soundtrack. Finally, some common ground!

Sorry, that cover of Life on Mars was perfection.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

i havent seen a positive reaction anywhere but here. even resetera is mixed

Anecdotal of course but out of 6 irl friends of mine that are watching the show reviews range from “really good” to “a masterpiece”. :shrug:

Also, Sepinwall at Rolling Stone seems to really like it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The movie version looks like a playstation npc while the tv version looks like an actual physical being:

The crazy part is that Dr. M's body in the movie was an actual dude. He was a fitness model named Greg Plitt. Interesting and tragic story. West Point grad, Army Ranger, turned fitness model, turned actor. He was killed by a train in Burbank while filming an unlicensed commercial in 2015.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I figured a lot of it could come up easily to decades as a recluse plus "killing millions changes a person."

Yeah plus his feelings that he saved the world and nobody really knows/appreciates it. I’d imagine living non M’s SimEarth for a few years didn’t help any, either.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I think Veidt imagined Redford would be grateful and ask him to be his mentor and trusted advisor. He could use Redford as his tool in shaping a better world. Instead he can’t even get a callback.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It’s so refreshing to read a post by someone who likes the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Same. I was watching Man In the High Castle at the same time this was airing so my first thought was “okay, starting with some alternative history.....wait a minute....this really happened? gently caress.”