Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Thats a real promising start for a show I was very skeptical of going in. Really wish they had a double episode premiere after that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That preview of whats to come was some ambitious looking stuff.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

7th Cavalry is certainly a logical endpoint for Rorschach’s ideology in the comic. It’s a much better reading than Snyder's worshipful lens of Rorschach in the movie.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 21, 2019

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Mercrom posted:

I can't tell if the woke liberal fascist state vs racist rednecks thing is supposed to be satire or not. On one hand it's based on an Alan Moore thing, on the other hand it's the perfect good vs evil template for a liberal audience.

A lot of the reviews mentioned theres more depth to it than this in the first 6 episodes.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

And then Trent Reznor listened to a bunch of John Carpenter.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The story definitely seemed to hint at some sketchiness about the chief that will probably get expanded on in coming episodes.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That is probably my one big criticism of the show that the score seems a bit too high in the mix.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Newsstand guy has the best politics in the show

I love that they wrote in an analog to the newstand guy in the comic.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Man, those people that claimed this show was pro cop last week should really watch this episode.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The white night was an inside job by the police.

Yeah thats insanely obvious at this point, it seems like the chief may have also been the second man that shot Angela.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

This did prove that they really should have done at least a two episode premiere of this show as the second episode re-contextualizes the first in quite a large way. Would have avoided some of the bad impressions of the first episode.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I feel like american hero story is signalling some stuff about him. "If you knew who I was, you wouldn't watch til the end." His friends probably saw his DNA analyzed and knew it was time to scoop him up. Also, she was going to take him in, he said they wouldn't let that happen.

What was up with the white man on Angela's porch? Is she raising his kids or something, some sort of child placement thing for white families?

The kids are in all likelihood her partner that was murdered on the White Night. Jim Beaver is in all likelihood the children’s biological grandfather and is entitled to some sort of visitation rights.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

According to reviewers the Louis Gossett Jr “mystery box” is resolved by episode 6.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

removed due to spoilers from episodes that haven't shown.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The Dave posted:

As someone that dives right into spoilers all the time: if you’ve seen or read what happens in the next four episodes, maybe sit this thread out. No one appreciates your input.

Sorry fellas, I wasn't sure what was verboten in here. I've removed the post so as not to upset anyone else.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I wish I could enjoy this show like you guys but I can’t. There are some bizarre performances so far, shiny mask guy for example. This is so far removed from the watchmen comic that I have no idea what the gently caress this show even really is. It’s all over the place. I’ll keep watching but yeah idk it’s a struggle watch. At least the music is consistently great.

Looking Glass is almost a direct analog to Rorschach. He's the most directly influenced detective by the comic books and I almost find his characterization to be a little too close to the comics/on the nose.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

He's giving a Rorschach performance down to the disaffected tone, the uncaring dialogue (poking at Angela about her kids), suggestions of a black and white world view. That combined with him living in his mask and never taking it off is a very deliberate choice.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:wtc:
wtf are you talking about :confused:

He's taken his mask off several times already, notably with the Chief...

...and of course the senator knows she's still a cop, that wasn't ominous at all. :tinfoil:

He specifically never fully takes it off, with the Chief he pulled it up to reveal his face but never removed it from his head I believe. There was an interview with some outlet where a production person talking about the mask commented that it was a deliberate character thing that he never fully removed the mask.

Ah here it is: https://www.polygon.com/tv/2019/10/28/20928667/watchmen-hbo-costume-looking-glass-mask

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

broken sm57 posted:

Although looking glass really leans on Rorschach’s aesthetics, I actually kind of think they’re positioning Sister Night as more of a Rorschach figure. Between the way her investigation of Judd mirrors Rorschach and the Comedian, the urine and blood seeping from under the bathroom door in ep 1 and her self proclaimed black and white worldview in this episode I feel like there’s a pretty strong signal from the writers

Yeah her story seems to be what if Rorschach reformed his views, as the White Night clearly caused her to dip into that sort of mindset. But with being introduced to Louis Gossett Jrs character she's finding the world not to be so black and white. Specifically when she was telling her kid the world was black and white she already sounded like she was trying to convince herself and not her child.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

After hesitating earlier, why did Angela decide to arrest the old guy after she learned he was her grandfather and that he was (likely) right about her boss being scum? Shock?

(Also did she leave a hundred year old man chained to a chair, without food and possibly water, for the better part of 24 hours?)

Angela is conflicted between her previously black and white worldview and the questions her grandfather is posing. In reaction to this she arrests him in an attempt to reinforce her world view. And then the ending of the episode happens leaving her questioning things further I imagine.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Didn't the chief have to tell him to take it off?

He did and even so he only rolled it up to his forehead keeping the mask still on his head.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Its so weird to me how people still use Lost against Lindelof as if he didn't just have one of the greatest 3 season runs on a show in HBO history. Lindelof has admitted the failings of Lost and felt he didn't stick the landing with it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

zoux posted:

If this is your argument against the show, it’s a dumb one

Unrelated, I love the set and art design and there are some really visually evocative scenes. The whole sequence with the red Batman goggles was fantastic. I do wonder how TBN sees/breathes in that mask

The mask is a green screen mask on his face with mesh eyeholes and what not. The effects work on it is really well done.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

A lot of Lost's problems came from them not being able to sustain the mystery over 20+ episode seasons (and they've admitted to this point) which is what ABC wanted from them. It took them until a writers strike occurred to get ABC to let them to par down the seasons to reasonable season lengths.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

In this era where we're inundated with content I can't imagine why you'd continue watching something you actively dislike.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Jean Smart is killin' it tonight.

Big fan of the Reznor score I'm just calling the Laurie Blake Theme for now.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 4, 2019

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

robot roll call posted:

I think Doc has Adrian imprisoned on Mars. In the first episode when they showed Manhattan on Mars he was building/destroying a structure that looked an awful lot like Adrian's castle.

That would explain the somewhat otherworldly nature of his surroundings and his odd technological limitations. And Jon just keeps making clones for him to keep him busy with.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

Also how his clone got frozen by building what looks like a rudimentary space suit and relatively short length of rope.

Ah yeah that was probably him trying to test for a way out and the Game Warden appeared to put him in line.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

Did you notice how whenever the guy servant is killed... another one seems to show up?

It seems like he keeps 2 or 3 extras around at any one time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Hilario Baldness posted:

To keep an eye on him? He's proven to be a crafty fucker.

Veidt did manage to create a scenario in the comic that Manhattan couldn't properly see coming so I imagine someone of that danger to Dr Manhattan would be seen as someone that should be held for observation.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Are you Jack Allison?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Adrian’s not their maker. That being stuck on Mars is looking more likely.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Well that opening fuckin owned.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Hrrrrrm beans

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

This is definitely the best episode they've put out so far.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Thats a Smooth Jeremy

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Either Europa or Io most likely.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

drat just took a memory overdose.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Seems like the Governor sent the racists to clean up the lose end once he knew Wade did what he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Can't wait for Lube Man to save the day, you can't just introduce a Chekhov's Lube Man and not have him get wet and wild by the end of a season.