Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Minrad posted:

me before watching this show: a watchmen spinoff is wholly unnecessary
me after watching the show: hey i was right

dc: but don't you want to know how all of our heroes became who they are?
fanbase: you mean all the backstory world-building ancillary stuff in the book already?
dc: yes but 37 issues of that done worse..where are you going? how about dr manhattan meets all our current running books in watchmen: the sequel(s)? everyone is dr manhattan now, bathattan, supermanhattan, all dc comics are now watchmen related.
fanbase: well that all sounds horrible
dc: what about a lovely beat 'em up game? you know to capitalize on the parts of the book about kicking people's asses, the stuff people remember
fanbase: are you ok?
alan moore: *grumbles loudly from inside a cave*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
did anyone mention how they gave osterman a downton abbey flashback story to make the clone arc work

what a weird-rear end show all around

but hey, the awful movie got a ton of people to read the book...so will this thing.

can we talk about how incredible the book is some more?

how many of you picked up on what "fearful symmetry" was doing? i didn't notice it on my first 5 reads until i saw a breakdown of it somewhere and it blew my mind

don't click this if you haven't read the book (or i guess watched the bad movie version of it?)

https://medium.com/@pedrovribeiro/fearful-symmetry-almost-frame-by-frame-9a20c77651bd

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nail Rat posted:

This one season was beating a dead horse as it was.

Needs more cutaways back to the horse being beaten while a monologue about the horse's beating plays in voice over

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

precision posted:

I don't really trust HBO to stick to this decision

This announcement is viral marketing

jj abrams presents: watchmen babies into quarkness. hbomax. 2021.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
ya know what, i changed my mind on this not existing. dave gibbons deserves whatever money he can get from DC after what they pulled, and whatever this generates for alan moore he gives away so from a financial point of view, gently caress it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I’m in the “do it right or not at all” camp so I’m perfectly OK with not getting a second season.

For those of you who want more book content, the “Watchmen Companion” hardcover is now out.

It’s composed of Watchmen promotional material, an issue where The Question reads the Watchmen TPB and decided Rorschach sucks, and reprints of old DC Heroes Role Playing Game materials.

The RPG stuff has been out of print for decades and is hard (and expensive) to find. Ask me about how I threw mine out before leaving for college.

Any how, the RPG stuff is the only Watchmen tie-in Moore ever approved, so it is canonical. He co-wrote it and Gibbons did original art for it too.

I just got this in today. It's interesting in that it's the last thing he had a hand in before ditching it. It's also confusing to read if you've never played any RPG stuff but still cool. The tie in question thing feels like they just needed something to pad out the page count, but the introduction was interesting. The actual paper stock on the thing is kinda rear end tbh.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
People tend to give Dr. Manhattan projected things like emotions or ego. There's a few things out there where Alan Moore talks about his character and it's across the board detached as gently caress. There's no irony or subtext, he says literal statements. Love doesn't bring him to karnack, we just end up being slightly less boring then he thought on second glance..a glance he only gave out of routines from his human existence, something that he's shaking off more and more as the book progresses...and is so god drat brilliantly mirrored by his state of dress or lack thereof. By the time he hangs dong, he don't give no fucks about human machinations.

am: moore
dg: gibbons

quote:

AM: By the time Dr Manhattan is a million years old, or a thousand years old, or even a hundred he will be almost unrecognizable—but this is his infancy and you still see him doing things like… he pushes a door open in No 11.

quote:

AM: Anybody here ever had a lucid dream? if you have a lucid dream, and you’re good at it, you can do whatever you want to do in that dream. You’re Dr Manhattan, basically, because you control the substance of reality—but you find yourself surrounded by dream characters. You do what you want but you don’t do anything to offend them out of basic politeness.

quote:

SW: The other philosophical section consists of Dr Manhattan allowing Laurie to convince him that it is worth giving a drat about Earth again. When I finished No 9 I found myself thinking ‘I don’t believe him, I’m not convinced’. I thought he was either lying to her or letting himself believe in this—you know, all that stuff about thermodynamics.
MS: He knew he was going to believe.
FJ: He has a different perception, because in 12 he cares about life, then he looks at the globe and says “I think I’ll go and create some life somewhere else”. So he doesn’t care about humanity as life on Earth, he cares about life in general.
AM: He cares about the abstract.
DG: He doesn’t care about life emotionally, he cares about it scientifically.
AM: In his discussion with Laurie, at no point at the end does he say that he cares emotionally about it, it’s just more interesting than he thought it was.
MS: In No 12 when he says “I’m off to another galaxy where I can create” that’s the first time he seems to make any decision for himself.
FJ: It’s almost not a decision anyway. It’s like being slowly and cautiously elbowed out of their lives.
AM: It is a decision of sorts, but is a Dr Manhattan decision in that it’s a decision to walk away from the whole situation, you know.
DG: If he was to stay around on Earth he’s going to run up against some big decisions.

quote:

AM: Well, if you’re going to have a naked character in a comic book he’s almost by definition got to be the least sexual. What I remember—and this all gets very blurred when you’re talking about 2 years ago—the thing I remember is that Dave drew a naked figure of Dr Manhattan just to show his physique, and I looked at it and thought that would be pretty rad—let’s just not put any clothes on it. Me and Dave agreed but we didn’t know if we’d get away with it, and Dave said, look if we make it very hairless, take away all the human references for sex, like hair…
AM: And working that out, we thought it would show the gradual disassociation of Dr Manhattan: first he’s willing to put on the full uniform, but he doesn’t like the helmet; then later on he just has the leotard thing; then just for the sake of decency he’ll wear him little G-string; and then gently caress it, why bother, I’m Dr Manhattan, I can walk around how I like.
DG: Oh sure, body language is a way of showing emotion and it’s crucial that he doesn’t show emotion. But the thing about showing him naked was that point when most people first saw him, I don’t think they realised he was naked because we deliberately did it in a completely non-sexual, lonely, distant…

full transcript from this 1988 here, long but pretty drat rad

wow, that jeremey irons clip is a real bummer. what an rear end in a top hat

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 18, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Comfortador posted:

Alan talks about Dr. Manhattan making a decision, which means he has to have some influence on the choices no? I guess we could rabbit hole this forever similar to the other debates. It's what makes it good.

yeah i mean, you could say he sees the outcomes and the choices are just perfunctory

choosing not to stick around to have to choose things is so incredibly that character

and whatever he was in the show felt like none of that

to go even more into that, it almost felt hostile..like Lindelof took away from the events of the book "that rear end in a top hat could have done so many things to fix poo poo!" something that's addressed in the comic to dr. manhattan [comedian giving him the gently caress your high horse you watched me murder her thing in vietnam] ..in fact i'm pretty sure people say this to tv manhattan's face (viedt right?)

plus his whole letter where he's like "what if hes not wise and just really sad you guys?"..ok dude. sure.

""A wise, blue man once said that nothing ever ends. But maybe he wasn't wise. Maybe he was just scared and alone and sad that he would outlive everything and everyone he ever loved." - Damon Lindelof

"nah" - book fans

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 18, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Literally the only place where I see people dislike this show is this thread. I loved it, any of my friends who watch it loved it, a bunch of people here haaaate it. It’s so weird.

I mean, not really? You have a property that doesn't want to be a franchise, made by a guy who is officially done with it after the story he wanted to tell, made in a medium that is super specific in both how it tells the story and in the story itself on more levels then I even have time to get into.

Then you have a creative who is behind some really polarizing stuff, who understands that a lot of people are coming in thinking it shouldn't exist but seems to be reveling in it with his dumb "alan moore would want to me to say gently caress alan moore" press nonsense.

That's already a situation before you even watch the drat thing. And then it pulls a lot of the same bullshit people hated in those other projects of his (elephants and polar bears oh my). Is it hard to see why some of us really disliked this from multiple fronts?

It's trying so hard to subvert poo poo from the book that it doesn't really tell a cohesive story at all. "Well the book's climax is all about subverting the hacky trope of a villans monologue giving the hero a chance to win, so let's do exactly that in our show."

If it had stuck with the frame of the first episode and maybe did something interesting with authority and masks, institutionalized power vs the individual, or like, anything at all. Hell do something with the bureaucracy of being able to use a live weapon..but that gets dropped as fast as we see it the one time. At least it went for it, even if it failed hard for me..so there's that. Even the exposition dumps weren't boring..just real real dumb.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bip Roberts posted:

It was fine.

Now it dead.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd rather read criticism about the show then on people's posts. Yawn.

What else is there to say about this dead bad show at this point.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Kazy posted:

You're right, Emmy's are the objective standard of quality and if you don't like it you're Wrong because it won Emmy's.

I'm convinced voters only watched the first few eps that dealt with historical racial atrocities and the power dynamics of law enforcement of the 8 eps total...ya know the stuff they abandon fast as hell.

cuz then the show devolved into fart jokes, stolen cum babies, bad VHS monologuing, full-body lubing, blue metal dildoes, and whatever the hell that really hacky 90s climax with the satellite was about.

and all that is without the reverence for the source material factored in, it's especially egregious when you get janky dollar store versions of characters that somehow forgot all the progress made in their respective book arcs. book sally* = realizes she's been a pawn of everyone, says gently caress that i choose my own path, and forges some individuality for the first time in her life.
tv sally* = pines for john with dildoes and phone booths

e: *laurie, mixed up my silk spectres
book adrian = what kind of loving idiot gives a big villain speech, this isn't a comic book.
tv adrian = i made this movie of my evil plan for u mr prez

Oh well, I'd watch this thing again anyday over the synder movie though.

my big watchmen hot take:

it exists in its own capsule and all the work made after it using its name has been bad to mediocre. the book is a product of the time period and the tone of the medium itself (grim dark 80s wave over everything) on top of being tied directly to the medium itself. the thing has an entire symeterical chapter, something that doesn't exactly translate. i'm really good on followups, prequels, spin offs, videogames (lol at that xbox beat em up from len wein) forever. this show had some interesting elements that really didn't revolve around watchmen that could have been a neat fleshed out show in it's own right and then missed that mark hard for me.

DC gunna DC tho, there's a new watchmen sequel (book) coming out as we speak.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 22, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

KoRMaK posted:

lol still getting mad about it AND the movie

yes, it does suck being a fan of the book.

even the guy that wrote it wants nothing to do with it at this point, continuing to stand up for it feels like you can't win. the people that made it are no longer on speaking terms, that's how hosed the entire thing is.

people not liking this show shouldn't lessen your enjoyment of it. echo chambers are also dumb.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

KoRMaK posted:

It didn't lessen my enjoyment lol, it's funny you think that you're opinion is so important that I'd give a poo poo enough to affect my watching of a television show that you are still mad about

he said on a discussion forum, you weirdo

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm really confused by how this criticism keeps coming up. What else were they supposed to do?

I feel like including the Black Experience in America and baking it into the DNA of their characters was brilliant and will probably be timeless. The opening five minutes of the show did more to advance the knowledge of America's sordid racial history in the mind of the Average American than an entire Ken Burns documentary, nevermind that it was some of the most visually amazing television of the last twenty years...were the writers supposed to solve the issues of America's police state and Black relations in eight episodes as well?

nah, i don't think you understand what i'm saying at all

i liked those elements and they get dropped fast (like 1/4th of the way in) for 12 other plotlines, some of which go absolutely nowhere. it didn't need to solve racism (what are you talking about??) it just could have kept going with those themes as the core of the show instead and I would have enjoyed it. you really are confused by that sentiment? I liked the show that shined a spotlight on tulsa, something that doesn't get taught, as evidenced by most people's reactions to it in this show...I wanted more of that. the least interesting things this show did imo was anything related to watchmen. there's an entire show of material alone in the "masks" concept that runs through the pilot hardcore and nowhere else.

people get really weird about any criticisms on this thing to the point where i'm glad it's a one and done personally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wolfsheim posted:

You can both think it's good that they shined a light on the Tulsa massacre and think the show's "most cops are good brave people its just a few bad apples" moral stance is extremely tone deaf at best :shrug:

i'm down for another show with regina king and tim blake nelson where they explore the idea of police needing to mask their identities in a world hostile to the idea of law enforcement and why that might be