Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watchmen is maybe my favourite comic and Leftovers is probably my favourite show of the past 5 years so... I hope this turns out well.

Although I have faith in Lindelof NGL a lot of the marketing and dumb interview quotes have turned me off somewhat, and makes me feel like a lot of people won't give this show the time of day but we'll see.

Edit: Have there been any screener reviews yet?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole point of the psychic squid is to create one of the most horrifying, alien things humanity could ever conceive of, surrounded by the graphic deaths of all the characters we've seen over a dozen times throughout the comic. The movie ending takes the coward's way out and sterilizes it, making it leave very little lasting impact or emotional gravitas. It's a strange thing to argue for something being more violent and visceral when 90% of the film has much more of that than the comic, but when the time comes to using it in a non-gratuitous and actually meaningful way, the film chickens out. Not that I'm arguing that Snyder should have gone all-in on gore, just the original uses arguably some of the most striking and memorable imagery in a comic, while the film has a giant nondescript hole in the ground.

Like there's something to be said about being able to evoke 9/11 in a way the original comic never could, but the film doesn't even do that, really.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 20, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm kind of disappointed with the costuming so far. It all looks so cheap and shoddy when in the comic, at least in the 80s, tech had advanced far enough to where more advanced polymers and such were available which made someone like Rorschach able to have the shifting mask. I guess if there was a tech backlash it sort of makes sense, but it makes for less fun visuals I think. Looking Glass is great though.

Edit: I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't see any of the weird bulb cigarettes.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 22, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why is Ozymandias British now? In the book he was born in America to german refugees. Something’s weird with that beyond allowances for good casting, since he’s also in a conspicuously British Isles setting inconsistent with the source material—and if there’s a whole location unit in Wales for his scenes, there will probably be a lot of action there. Obviously, the perfect villain for a black American hero is an old British man in a mansion in Britain.

I'd need to rewatch it but it didn't strike me as a British accent so much as an older Transatlantic accent which definitely makes sense for the character.

Also re: the show being pro-cop, even disregarding the interrogation scene, the show already makes the turn at the very end of this episode when the "villain" is revealed to have been an elderly wheelchair-bound black man who has clearly born the scars of the Tulsa his whole life. I definitely don't have any doubts that this is where the show is going considering the opening scene.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, the motion comic is pretty great. Still not preferable to reading the comic, but a decent enough imitation—certainly better than watching the Snyder movie to try to sidestep the original. The biggest flaw is that they had the same guy do all the voices. If they had thrown in a few more voice actors, or even just one additional one to play the women, it would significantly improve it.

A lot of the animation hasn't aged well, it cuts a few conversations for seemingly no reason (but not enough to consider it abridged), the narrator, no supplemental materials, etc. I actually don't mind the narrator, it's just like listening to an audiobook, but I get why people find it weird.

But I would like to shout out the score to the motion comic, which is by far its strongest point IMO. It was composed by the same person who did the soundtrack for the PC game Outcast, which if you're an old fart you will definitely remember for basically setting a new standard for orchestral soundtracks in games even though no one played it. Just a fun aside, but the Watchmen motion comic has a legitimately great score - it's particularly strong in the Jon flashback episode IMO.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This episode made me wonder what it's like to watch this show without having any prior knowledge of Watchmen. Like I'm just imagining my dad noticing the show on the HBO app and getting to the Ozy/Manhattan play scene and trying to parse what the gently caress any of this poo poo is about.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This show really is showing how releasing weekly can absolutely be the better option over dumping it all at once. Having the week between episodes gives people time to think about the details, and I’ve watched each episode twice to really absorb it. That can’t really happen in something where you open palm slam the whole season into your brain in one shot. The pacing of the story feels very deliberate and the breaks have really helped with that.

I wish I could watch it all at once tho

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hilario Baldness posted:

Hoping Looking Glass doesn't have the same stain of reactionary-ness that Rorschach did. He's pretty awesome.

I have bad news about the person who is a detached masked law enforcement officer in Tulsa for you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

On that token, I am also weirded out that Dr. Manhattan apparently just went back to Mars, when he outright said he was leaving the galaxy in the comic. Makes me think it's all just a fabrication.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Judd is Dan Dreiberg, that's why he had the owl ship, and that's why Laurie is on the case.

Dr. Manhattan on Mars is a hoax by the Russians. In actuality he went to another galaxy in order to create the loving New 52 universe or whatever the gently caress

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 5, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My immediate assumption was also that Trieu is the Comedian's daughter/granddaughter, but in hindsight I think it might be kind of a pointless twist to include in there, not sure yet.

Still wondering what is up with that drat clock vis a vis the huge carnival filled with corpses that we keep seeing in the trailers. If they're going for the same kind of incident as in the original, I feel like it's a bad move to show it multiple times.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If Lindelof is really gone at the end of this season I'm entertaining the idea of HBO just adapting the original story in S2 which would be a hell of a sight to see.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

So they wrote a Watchmen story with the message of “wow, isn’t Superman great?” That is some wild poo poo

Every loving Superman story has to be about how loving great and pure and selfless he is, it's why that character is a complete dead-end in terms of storytelling, even the revered Superman comics are all telling the same story over and over with different stakes. I don't get it and I never will, it never comes off as inspirational so much as insufferably smug with the writer more or less overtly lecturing the reader about the dangers of questioning anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Superman’s been continuously published for 80 years, maybe they are on to something with this “very good man who always does the right thing” premise.

Two of the greatest and most iconic Superman stories of all time, both involving “he is a very good man who always does the right thing”, were written by one A. Moore of Northampton, England.

Perhaps you are familiar with some of his other works.

Oh yeah that guy, he's the dude who wrote that comic about Alice in wonderland loving Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz right

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

Sulky subversive morally ambiguous Superman is also insanely played out

It definitely is, and is also not what I want from that type of story. That's why a character like Dr. Manhattan is a good subversion of the Superman concept - I just think great superhero fiction generally has more to say than "man he sure did overcome the odds by being great and never compromising his morals, what an inspiration". Even that concept has been done in much more interesting ways outside of Superman comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those quotes went around before the show aired and they are still not as damning as you think they are