Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Getting a little sick of the slow pacing and 5 new mysteries per episode thing

But it's the Lost dude or dudes so I shouldn't be surprised

Season will end with Laurie and Night staring down a hatch and going WHOA at the unseen contents

Jeremy irons is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bushido Brown posted:

It's only one season.

That's the line they tossed out so people would give Lost Guy another chance

I'm putting on my squidfoil hat here but I'm positive they always planned on multiple seasons, they're just going to claim it's due to strong reviews and commitment to telling another good story or what have you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah the story of Will and Angela and the Police Chief will be resolved

Concurrently the hook for season 2 will be introduced at the end of the season

It's the time clock, and it controls time!

Edit, yeah Lindelof has done other stuff since Lost, but is it really fair to describe him as the Cowboys & Aliens guy? I think people are gonna consider him the Lost Guy until he does something at least better than it

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 16, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

beanieson posted:

So, The Leftovers?

Sure! I've never even heard of it but if HBO gave him the reigns to a third show then I bet it's great!

Guy A. Person posted:

He did the Leftovers

I just think it's bizarre to be like "this season will end just like the season finale of Lost season 2, an episode of television that aired 14 years ago"

Is it bizarre to think a writer, producer and director has a consistent style? I never have any doubt when I'm watching a Taika Waititi movie or a Tarantino movie

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

clown shoes posted:

I love watching shoes made by people who made things I hate.

Ooo I hope that's not directed at me. I loved Lost until I didn't

I'm loving Watchmen but worried I soon won't, based on my experience with DudeMan. It's like when I'm reading a Stephen King book I know that the closer I get to the back page, the dumber things are going to get

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

beanieson posted:

Style sure. But there were no vampires in Thor Ragnarok. People are capable of telling different stories sometimes.

Man, I meant staring into a hatch as a metaphor for an unsatisfying resolution and a "tune in next season for the REAL story!"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol, is your thing "angry TV guy"?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
To re-vomit, my 'baseless conjecture' is I'm enjoying this but hope it doesn't have the (once typical) Lindelof touch of a silly cliffhanger ending

If that's so upsetting to read, I would suggest a quick walk and some fresh air

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nah. This thread is way too hostile. Thanks though

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I watched the movie before last night's episode and it's just jarring how badly Veidt was adapted for the film

Having a good chuckle at Young Jeremy Irons recording that eccentric goofball video with a smile on his face, and then one day later giving that grim solemn speech to the watchmen at the north pole or wherever

Episode was good except the ending is objectively bad. It's a format that works well for Netflix-style season binges but not a weekly release. Reminded me a lot of a season of Alias ages ago where they end the season with a guy getting plugged full of bullets and immediately fading to black so that people would wonder for months and months whether he'd live or die.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

beanieson posted:

Idk, a single episode cliff hanger isn’t nearly as big a deal as an entire season ending on some character being shot and bleeding out. I get it, you didn’t like Lost, but this was a great episode of television despite the dumb editing of flashbacks interspersed.

Why bring up Lost? Why claim it's a Big Deal? Calm down

Just saying cliffhangers are bad in modern storytelling. There's a reason the term specifically refers to 19th century media when it was important to leave the audience unfulfilled

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hm, you're reading in to my posts far too much. Like I said before, show is good, most recent ending bad, and I hope the guy doesn't end the series the way he's ended past series & the most recent episode.

That's all :-) I'm at like a 3/10 on the Worried scale, mostly just watching a cool show and posting about it on the internet

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with cliffhangers unless your brain literally can't handle the delayed gratification

Sort of a false dichotomy

Cliffhangers are just the narrative equivalent of a Jump Scare. Effective yes, but they're a low effort form of story telling. Far more insulting than the "flashbacks for the audience" imho. It shows a lack of confidence in the work that they think they need to rely on them.

Again, show is great, solid 7 out of 10, this is my one nitpick

I'm sure everyone has something about the show they don't like

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Arist posted:

I don't mean to be insulting with this but I honestly find it utterly baffling that anyone could complain about episodic cliffhangers in a TV show.

I mean, yeah, they're frustrating. That's the point.

I certainly am not complaining that they're frustrating. They're exceptionally lazy to the point that they break immersion. No different from that infamous lingering shot of Alice Eve in her undies in Star Trek into Darkness

The storytellers are either worried their product needs to be propped up by cheesecake shots, jump scares, or ending a story mid beat, or that their audience is slack jawed enough that they need the most base forms of stimulation

IMHO watchmen is good enough and the audience smart enough that it doesn't need to rely on them. But you know what? Shakespeare had political intrigue on the same page as dick jokes so maybe the best storytellers are the ones that cater to everyone all at once

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hansen85 posted:

Cliffhangers and jump scares aren't "objectively" bad. There are countless examples of effective uses of them. They're one of many tools in the writer's toolbox, and just like all the other ones, it's all about the execution.

In any case, nobody watching this latest episode should expect LG to be dead, or even in danger of dying. The suspense is obviously in how he survives and what happens after that. And because we spent the entire episode getting to know the guy, we now care what happens to him.

Oh man, how funny was it when Mercutio held the sword up to his groin and said it was his swizzle stick?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sleeveless posted:

This isn't a cliffhanger, if you can't handle an episode ending without everything being resolved maybe serialized television just isn't for you.

I gave it a 7/10 :-)

Weapons down, bud

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Forceholy posted:

I got a lot of Vince McMahon vibes from Veidt's speech this episode.

Yeah I thought Old Veidt was supposed to be a bit deranged from his isolation and age, but the 1985 recording makes it clear that he's always been a Nut in this telling

Which TOTALLY works for a guy who's obsessed with Legacy and uses Ozymandias as a brand

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
SAVE ME DAN,

USING ARCHIE,

AS IT IS HERMETICALLY SEALED

AND YOU HAVE A HISTORY

OF RESCUING MASKS

FROM CAPTIVITY

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

AccountSupervisor posted:

You better have a strong argument and the guts to carry it through some challenges if youre gunna call something objectively bad because thats a hell of a criticism to level at anything involving art and entertainment, bud.

The argument is strong in my opinion, and I've made it, exhaustively. Respond to it or ignore it as you prefer! I don't mind either one at all as long as you're not massively aggro about it.

Nail Rat posted:

I have to believe the secret leader of the US would know that Dan Dreiberg has been locked up since 1995.

We just barely have any D-names in this show. Realistically he's saying "Save me, dammit"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Next week's episode is going to have some massively cool connections to Jon's entire-life-at-once narrations when Night lives through William's entire life

Probably going to be a literal Bottle Episode but a good one at that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

AccountSupervisor posted:

I have zero issue with you not liking cliff hangers, thats called subjectivety, its your personal preference. I take issue with you calling them objectively bad, which is almost an impossible and unverifiable stance to take in the case of narrative structures. Theres literally no way you can "prove" your argument to be factually true, therefore it cannot be objective.

Cliffhangers can absolutely be cheap and essentially marketing devices to hook you into the next episode, which I absolutely understand being frustrating and lame. I dont really think that was the case here as Im not sure how they could have logically continued that or left out that moment without over extending this episode or structurally sacrificing the next episode. It felt like proper ambiguity and an appropriate end point and start of a story thread that is most likely going to be a bit more complicated than "they killed Looking Glass".

That to me was a good example of how you congruently end the current episode narrative of "Looking Glass finding out the truth" while starting a new plot thread of "7K has nefarious and possibly violent intentions for Looking Glass". It wouldnt have made sense to me to start an episode with that moment because it is directly tied to that specific episodes narrative arc and carries that into whatever the next chapter of it is. Its an intersection, not a cheap cliffhanger.

This was an interesting perspective, thanks!

Sleeveless posted:

I'm really curious what the final viewership numbers for this show is going to be because if the actual Watchmen show is out-performed by Watchmen For Idiots (The Boys) I'm going to be incredibly disappointed.

These two franchises have absolutely nothing in common.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The problem is that you haven't really, you just keep insisting they're bad and lazy without actually laying out your reasoning. Fine if you don't like them but you've made some really audacious statements about the creatives behind the show itt

The creatives behind this show are great! They've made something wonderful. The current episode's cliffhanger ending is genuinely my one grievance, since even The Boys never once relied on it. (The Boys is a show where I wouldn't complain at ALL about a cliffhanger)

Again, my reasoning behind cliffhangers being bad is they're overdone, simple, and try to create un-earned tension. Maybe they were novel once, but they don't even have their intended effect anymore. Imagine a movie where every single scene had a Jaws Dolly Zoom. The director intends to create a sense of disorientation, but after the 2nd or 3rd you'd just say "oh I get what the director is trying to do here" and have your immersion broken by it instead.

At worst, you use them to shore up a weak ending, which the last episode did not have. At best they lay the foundation for a new story arc - but we established that the 7K has nefarious plans for LG when they abducted him and told him that.

It's just there for Jim and Joe to chat about at the water cooler on monday, which is a shame because there's a lot of actual amazing content from the episode they could be discussing instead

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

zoux posted:

In his big reveal, Veidt said that there would still have to be "occassional minor dimensional incursions" or something to continue to sell the hoax. Is that entirely the squidfall? I guess he's got a squidfall machine set on automatic?

That was my read on it!

I wonder if EPS is entirely predatory or if they're a government shop that funds Redfordations or something

Also, if you haven't seen this, it's the best video on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tomapot posted:

Holy hell, what did I just watch?

You don't remember the Watchmen cartoon from the early 90s?!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sleeveless posted:

Alan Moore was right to publicly fill his dipes about this show existing because now that we're 30 years past the point where comic book nerds will latch onto anything even remotely literary becase of how desperate for validation they are this adaptation eclipses the original on every level. Rest in piss.

Glad you agree your posts are worthless trash, please remember that any time you ever feel tempted to smash the Submit Reply button in the future. Dipshit.

Don't be a bad poster. Working on flaws is HOT in 2019, and "having a constant meltdown" is a great opportunity.

Supreme Allah posted:

That ep was self indulgent and frankly boring.

Interesting! Boring is not a word I'd use to describe it (although the girl I was watching it with did fall asleep...)

It was an amazing episode in my opinion, although I'm surprised to see an episode like this in a 9-episode season.

I was disappointed we got no Veidt or LG, but I don't think the episode would have been better for including them; it just would've slaked my curiosity for the week.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The Human Crouton posted:

When the last episode ends on a cliffhanger, then the show needs to address it at the start of the next episode. If we are supposed to care about the story then the show needs to address the story more, and jerk itself off over its zaniness less.

Normally I'd agree with you but the story they told tonight was way more interesting* than "did Buster Scruggs get killed" and I definitely didn't care about the 2019 plot within a few minutes

*If the name "Hooded Justice" already means something to you, anyway. Tonight was the first time I felt like the show actually benefits from a good understanding of the old graphic novel rather than just let you spot a bunch of easter eggs

Still curious what's up with the romaine lettuce and egg motifs

HJ getting shot at by the shopkeeper was a funny inversion from the clip of Cheyenne Jackson saving the shoppers

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We've all read Freakonomics, mofucka

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You see, there's two types of people in the world

Lettuce,

and Egg

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And buddy I'm ALL outta egg :getin:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Last night's episode really killed the series for me because I can't possibly give a crap about the 2019 plot now

I think I groaned when it cut to Lady Trieu. Put those drugs back in her arm!!! I want to see more of Hooded Justice

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's your read on this part?

Don't let them see you cry?

You brought this on yourself?

Woman icky?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Xanderkish posted:

Another possible answer is that HJ wasn't written with the personality and backstory of the TV series made 30 years later in mind.

The TV series was written with the personality and backstory of the comic made 30 years earlier, though. I think it's both fair and good to scrutinize all of HJ's actions from the source material!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

IIRC HJ barely has dialogue or a personality in the original book; most of what we thought we knew about him was from Hollis Mason, who may have been (as Petey thinks) making poo poo up and injecting his own prejudices and psyche into it, or covering for a former colleague. In the absence of much else, my read on that scene (and what we can confirm about him) is that HJ's #1 thing is the importance of kayfabe; he's pretending to be white, pretending to be straight, pretending not to be a cop as a vigilante or a vigilante as a cop. It's the theme of his life. He goes on to let people think he was a Russian spy, in the decades that followed.

His response to Sally is both genuine - he's telling her that the "mask" is what matters, in this case, a facade of strength rather than the vulnerability and pain of being victimized - and also detached and insensitive. The side effect of the mask is that it's dehumanizing and alienating, that it separates you from other people.

Thank you for this good post, No. 1 Apartheid Fan! I'm sorry about your name!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What fell from space onto the farm formerly owned by the Clarks?

Polar bear?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I really hope the series continues to take a dump on Veidt. It'll be such a thematic misstep if he makes it back to earth and accomplishes / reveals that he accomplished something great

"the Elon Musks of the world will save us" has no place on television in 2019

Have him arrive on earth in his doofy costume and give a long winded speech about how he's the smartest man in the world, and then a black child will look up from his comic book and hit em with the OK Boomer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Millennium Clock is going to broadcast something alright

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Ms. Crookshanks who was playing prosecutor did wink at him really clumsily after her closing statement.

Ms Crookshanks, when is a lie not a lie?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Memory is fuzzy, but in episode 2 didn't Angela say to cal, "[Will] says he's Dr Manhattan" and in the conversation with Cal, one of them says "Could Dr Manhattan change his skin color?" or something?

Maybe I'm imagining it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Just Chamber posted:

Not sure if Cal does but Will suggests to Angela he's Dr Manhattan when she has him locked up and Angela says he can't take on human form.

She says "he lives on loving Mars" to Will, but in a later scene, she's talking to Cal about Will and mentions that Will claimed to be Dr Manhattan disguised as another person

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If they compare having blue skin to having black skin at any point in the next two episodes I'm burning down Lindelof's house

They've wielded some extremely sensitive topics so far and managed to do so gracefully, but mannnn if I'm not a little bit worried the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

zoux posted:

drat they shoulda just made Watchman Babies

They did and I posted it already, dammit!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Mameluke posted:

there's only a quarter of the story left, there's not enough time for anything to happen

I gotta imagine it'll be a bizarre mirror of the original comic, where the climax takes you by surprise despite the pieces being there the whole time.