Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So glad to know that, when I first heard of the series my main reaction was, "please be good".

A few years ago when Watching The Watchmen came out Dave Gibbons did a promotional tour. Fortunately I arrived early; the book store and organizers were caught off guard when hundreds and hundreds of fanboys showed up for the book signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Finally had the time to catch up and Episode 3 was amazeballs.
'Mister Shadow' as Batman surrogate being taken down by Laurie and the AVTF (Anti Vigilante Task Force) without much effort to start the episode, and Laurie taking down another masked vigilante near the end of the ep (at the funeral) without hesitation.

Loved the way Laurie's 'joke' messed up at first, was interspersed throughout the episode, and then the punch line tied it all together; felt like very similar structure to an issue of the source material.
Also really enjoying the music, both soundtrack and the songs used, from Devo to Desmond Dekker to Dance of the Knights. And there's even a little nod to the freakin' Black Freighter.

CAROL posted:

I'm so glad Adrian put on his silly suit. That's when u know a real good genocide is coming on
Didn't realize until this episode Veidt's definitely being held prisoner, and the simulacrum attendants/housekeepers are not his creations.

Reminds me a little of Slaughterhouse 5, with the Tralfamdorians keeping Billy Pilgrim as a specimen to observe and that he is trapped in time "like a bug trapped in amber".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

graham cracker posted:

And on a less subtle note I caught this on a rewatch yesterday.

Nice catch. On Survivor I learned that Applebee's has a shark bowl cocktail so maybe the Black Freighter Inn has a restaurant with raw shark bento box.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Soundtrack amazing again.

feedmyleg posted:

Y'know... regardless of how this season turns out in the end (nothing ever ends), I think we can all really agree that Lindelof swung for the fences. This show is so loving cool.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zmej posted:

there's some great performances in here. Veidt, Looking Glass and Angela are the stand-outs right now. I understand Laurie's suppose to be jaded and tragic but I find the snark just really annoying and as it inserts itself in every scene. it cheapens it since it's 110% all the time.

this is some attempt by the writers trying to "show" she's the daughter of the Comedian. it seems odd because her 'tude undoes her coming to terms with her parents, Manhattan, and her story at the end of the original Watchmen.

what I'm saying is we need more Lube Man, less Laurie.
Her previous persona was The Comedienne: she's expected to tell jokes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Anyone have a gif of Irons casually tossing bad babies over the side of a boat?

Looking for one with a thicker skin.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Sometimes this feels like the X Files of Superheroes.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sister Night's Vietnamese!
Her fake bakery is named Milk & Hanoi which is a pun worthy of the source material.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

There were production delays and issues shipped late- people would have been bitching about that.
Thanks for the reminder, I haven't thought about that in decades.

Nooooo!!!!!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, just saw the episode.

gently caress!

Up to this point, I wasn't sure on this show. I was intrigued, but on the fence.

Nah. Nah we're done with that. This show is loving GOOD. THAT WAS SOME loving TELEVISION.

The start with her taking all the nostalgia, honestly it felt a little gimmicky so they could do a flash-back along with some dreamy / druggy effects and be all cool and stylistic with it, yeah very nice but it feels gimmicky.

But then loving everything about the story, which reveals itself to be the origin story of Hooded Justice, just... drat. I'm blown away. All concerns about the direction this show is going in have been assuaged.

Trust in the law.

loving yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

E: Episode is kinda mean to people with epilepsy though. I saw that warning in the beginning and was like huh? And then blam, non-stop strobe. Was that really necessary??? Could have just been a flashlight. I get its B&W but still.

Should have been a Trigger Warning for the content in addition to the lighting effects.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

The show is fantastic and was good enough to make me grab the comic for the background and holy poo poo that Rorschach backstory.

The Nostalgia™ must be kicking in, I'm seeing flashes of 1987.

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on I watched this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5GCKl1F3o

Oh no its different... oh Youtube videos.
That was great.
Thanks, I've now watched/listened to at least 6 episode recaps to help unpack all the levels this episode works on.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

the watchmen derivatives market is a bubble with no bust in sight right now

Only 3 episodes left, and an anticipated world-changing event still to occur!
One can only hope EBITDA justifies continued expansion for this franchise into the next fiscal session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

I just thought there might be a thread for this show and come to find people don't like it?

*farts*

I don't like it...I love it - almost as much as the people creating the show.

Hurm...if I can find one more, will make a nice set of earrings.