Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Was that Robert Redford giving the warning at the start of American Hero Story? It sounded like him but I haven’t seen anything about it. It’d be cool if he cameoed as himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Family Values posted:

I'm confused, why are you guys even talking about the Third Reich? The Germans in the opening scene were from WW1, there's a portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm on the wall behind the guy's desk, and the flier the guy catches is the same one he wrote the note on, 'watch over this boy', during the Tulsa Race Riot which happened in 1921, long before the Nazis.

They’re not talking about that scene, they’re talking about a line from the watchmen comics regarding Hooded Justice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kodo posted:

Nixonville seems to be a reference to Hoovervilles, though its residents worship Nixon instead? Echoes of Iraq invasion part 2 when they tear down the statue.

Hoovervilles were not exactly full of people that thought highly of Hoover.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This show really is showing how releasing weekly can absolutely be the better option over dumping it all at once. Having the week between episodes gives people time to think about the details, and I’ve watched each episode twice to really absorb it. That can’t really happen in something where you open palm slam the whole season into your brain in one shot. The pacing of the story feels very deliberate and the breaks have really helped with that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jay-V posted:

Not making GBS threads on Alan Moore here because Watchmen is by far my favorite comic/graphic novel -- but the world-building was the best part of the original, too. The plot of Watchmen was definitely good, but it really wasn't until the final issue that everything clicked into place narratively IMO (and as referenced, the whole psychic squid monster subplot still doesn't make a ton of sense).

I disliked the movie and didn't give whatever DC prequels/sequels the time of day. I gave this HBO show a shot because critics I trust seemed to like it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it, too, was doubling down on the world-building and alt-history bits that enjoyed in the original.

The plot also feels more willing to deliver on some actual plot-related events early on. It’s definitely moving along a lot quicker in a very good way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

I have bad news about the person who is a detached masked law enforcement officer in Tulsa for you.

Detached is kind of underselling it. LG is creepy and definitely not right in the head and I like seeing Tim Blake Nelson get to play that kind of role more than I should.

Dude needs a major role in John Wick 4 or something, I would watch him be unsettling in something like that where he can be unabashedly badass.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

I feel like I might like this show but I’m allergic to Damon Lindelof. You promise it’s good?

It’s good. What don’t you like about lindelof?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

Faux-intellectual rumination and rampant third act problems.

This show really moves compared to stuff like the Leftovers (which is a favorite of mine but it's definitely slow). Not a lot of rumination, but it's packed with detail so it's the kind of thing you can think about and poke at over a week. At the very least check out the first episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

What time does the new episode actually air? 9pm EST?

Yep. Is it on Hulu simultaneously? I’m stuck at work, and I have my Switch with me which doesn’t have the HBO app but it does have my Hulu app, and I have HBO on there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

I took it as he's trying to recreate known stuff from scratch, and he's having his servants do the lab work. And they hosed it up. And so it's another heap onto the fire of disappointment that he has towards his servants.

Yea I extrapolated a bit

Yeah, it's probably going to be one of those horsehoe instead of a knife things.

He's probably trying to get one of his weird clones to the point they're able to perfectly replicate things from scratch so if he does disintegrate them they can pull themselves back together. He had one of them fix that watch, he's having them memorize and go through the motions for that play, stuff like that. It's just that these clones are a bit off and would end up making Bizarro instead of Dr Manhattan.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

Also how his clone got frozen by building what looks like a rudimentary space suit and relatively short length of rope.

Mars is also far enough that you actually would start to freeze in space. Don’t know if that counts for anything, though, since freezing in space is pretty common in fiction.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And he seemed genuinely delighted when he was composing that response letter. Even before he put on the costume, the game warden had him reliving his masked hero days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

I can't believe so many people struggle with the plotline 'laurie becomes her mother' when that was such a key aspect of the books.

People are loving bad at consuming media.

But if they don’t deliberately misinterpret the scene, how can they scream on Twitter that Lindelof doesn’t get it? Gotta get those sweet sweet twitter clicks somehow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

Ozymandias was right. The world was moments away from nuclear Armageddon when his plan went through.

Yeah, the book makes it clear that Dr Manhattan had skewed the balance of MAD and America thought that since he was on their side, a nuclear exchange was winnable. Thing was, even if he gave enough of a poo poo to actually try to stop the nukes, it was unlikely that he would be able to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zmej posted:

I don't understand the point of a deadman's switch if it takes 10 seconds to detonate, but apparently that is the right amount of time to roll a dead KKKop onto an IED lol

It wasn’t a proper deadman’s switch, it looked like he had an EKG attached to it so it would blow if his heart stopped. That’s not going to happen right away even if you get shot in the dome. I guess he wanted both hands free for his hostage taking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is it halfway over now? I thought it would be awful but I’m shocked by how much I like it.

Slightly less than, 4/9 episodes have aired. If it was anyone other than Lindelof I would have expected it to be terrible, too, but after The Leftovers I kind of expected this to be really good so I’m not really shocked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Took me 4 episodes to get the "Milk and Hanoi" pun.

I love the addition of the slogan “where we let saigons be saigons” in the latest episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sure! I've never even heard of it but if HBO gave him the reigns to a third show then I bet it's great!

The Leftovers is some of the best TV ever made, especially the second two thirds. Highly recommended.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of hope the series is similar to Fargo: A pseudo-anthology series with a shared universe. If they do a second season, it would be fun to do one that takes places in the 30s or during World War II.

I would totally watch a Minutemen series, or a Nite Owl I

Colonel Whitey posted:

I thought the alternate history stuff didn’t really start until Hooded Justice showed up in the 50s. It would be cool to explore vigilantes in other parts of the country in the time since then though

E: nvm I guess the timeline starts earlier than I remembered

The big diversions are after Doctor Manhattan but costumed adventurers got started in the 30’s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

beanieson posted:

I don’t understand how anyone ever doubted he was ozymandias. Like, it was announced that actor was cast as Veidt, he was acting like Veidt, and just because he hadn’t put on his silly costume people were speculating it wasn’t him??

I think that “ambiguity” was there because people wanted some Lostish mystery to complain about, it seemed pretty obvious who th character was.

His horse was named after Alexander the Great’s horse. Like, even if they didn’t show the costume yet that’s an Ozymandias-rear end move. The only ambiguity was, like you said, people trying to read ambiguity into it because they figured Lindelof was going to Lost it up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

I have some new guesses.

The meteor last episode was Adrian Veidt escaping his mars prison.
The main black lady is the baby girl that is in the opening of the season during the riots. She is also a clone.

I don’t think she’s a clone, that would have come up with the dna testing stuff at the museum.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
:stare:
I’m guessing the kid in the intro is Looking Glass?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Le Saboteur posted:

Well that opening fuckin owned.

Seriously makes me rethink the “well, the movie had to change the ending because the squid one would terrible in a film” stuff.

E:yep, it was him. He’s basically my favorite character on the show and this background stuff really adds a lot to his character.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 18, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wanna see that Pale Horse movie Spielberg made instead of Schindlers List in this universe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Jesus this scene is making me anxious. That tick tick is pushing it over the edge.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

This episode rules

It’s definitely the best of the series so far, which puts it in the running for best thing I’ve seen all year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh poo poo, Looking Glass is gonna actually become the new Rorschach.

I’m really interested to see how his character develops the rest of the series. A human lie detector finding out that much of his life is a lie strikes me as someone who is not gonna handle that well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Le Saboteur posted:

drat just took a memory overdose.

Dry swallowing a whole bottle of pills sounds difficult.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh poo poo that ending. :ohdear: it’s gonna be a long wait for next week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

Next episode looks like a trip

Yeah, it seemed like the message was "SAVE ME DA-" with the ending getting cut off, so it's entirely likely that he was sending it to Dan.

Anyway, do we know why the Kavalry seemed like they were about to kill Wade? Or did I horribly misread that ending?

They’re cleaning up loose ends. I’m hoping he’s enough of a paranoid fucker that he manages to get away, killing him off before the stuff from this episode gets to sink in would be a doozy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

That was a good episode. Veidt was sent somewhere else, and though I think we're supposed to believe it was Dr. Manhattan, it's likely Trieu.

Looking Glass isn't gonna get killed. I think him going back to get the alarm is a sign he's still on the fence. And him knowing the truth has way too much potential to kill him off.

True. And him going back for the alarm may be what saves him, because he’ll likely go over to the bunker and the 7K guys are in the house.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Shout out to the goofy beeps boops and whirs the alarm made as glass killed it

Everything about the audio in this show is so good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Is everyone in the show driving electric cars? Am I only just now noticing this?

If you look in most of the parking lots there's electric chargers and whatnot. I think it was a project of Veidt's from the graphic novel?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Peteypedia has some good poo poo this week. Petey ranting about AHS, a flier for Nostalgia, and the pamphlets from the support group.

E:I would absolutely buy a box set with the blu-ray of this show, the graphic novel, and various peteypedia inserts.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 18, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I guess.

I wasn't sure if the survivors of the psychic blast were themselves psychics or just happened to be inside a building when it went off.

I think it was mostly just luck of the draw, though Veidt did say in the comics that “sensitives would have nightmares for years”. Could be LG’s lie detection ability is partly some kind of low-level psychic stuff.

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I think that's still an open question. The question of whether psychics exist has basically been left unresolved and it's kind of a plot hole in the original comics. We'll see.

How is it unresolved? The squid-things brain was made from the brain of a psychic that Veidt stole from a graveyard and used as cloning material to engineer a big ol’ mental brainfuck. Psychics absolutely exist to some extent in Watchmen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Right so the electric cars aren't new, they were in the original, to answer that other posters question.

Just had a thought - Keene was supposed to get kidnapped, he was in on it. It was probably a way for him to get taken to 7k HQ without blowing his cover.

Til Laurie shot him lol. Why did he have an actual dead man switch then?

Because the 7K don't know that Keene is running them, that's why he was wearing the mask in the headquarters. They probably went with whatever plan they would usually have, and he couldn't tell them "hey, maybe don't do the bomb thing" without blowing his cover. Considering they were taking the guns off of everyone going into the funeral he probably figured it wouldn't be an issue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Just a thought: with cloning rife in this universe, Nostalgia becomes a way for genetic copies of a person to also retain their memories. That could have some implications on the plot. Is there any chance that someone we've seen looks like a different person but actually has the same brain/memories as their other self? Probably not, but it could mean that Trieu isn't actually who she seems—or anyone else, for that matter.

I feel like Trieu’s daughter is probably a clone with some of Trieu’s memories

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nooneofconsequence posted:

I didn't mind the flashbacks to the 80s and stuff but the quick cuts to things like his hat after someone mentions not obsessively covering themselves in tinfoil or the cut to the 7K photo after Wade walked into the church were the worst type of "assume the audience is stupid" editing.

I don’t really see it as the show assuming the audience is stupid. There’s no flashbacks like that in the other four episodes so far, they’re something that came with this episode being from LG’s perspective.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Plot twist, Manhattan didnt actually kill rorshach, he teleported him to pluto. Calling it now!

He also simultaneously teleported the contents of a Trader Joe’s salsa aisle to Antarctica to cover his tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So, is the squid rain a thing that Veidt started in the 80’s to keep appearances up, or is the government using his science to continue the squid rain?

Also am I misremembering or were there multiple giant squids? I thought Veidt sent the squids to multiple nations in order for the fear of invasion to bring the whole world together, rather than just the US? I haven’t read the comic in around 10 years, mind.

That’s probably one of the things he had to work with Redford with, now that I think of it. The pamphlet in peteypedia says the squid falls are worldwide so there has to be quite a bit of infrastructure involved.