Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Probation spree in thread this morning, slapfight over bad theorycrafting. This forum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The subforums are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drain finally scabs over, all the shitposters will drown. The accumulated filth of all their derails and threadshits will foam up about their keyboards and all the gimmick accounts and mods will shout “save us!”…

…and I’ll look down and whisper, “no.”

They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good posters like BravestOfTheLamps, or SuperMechagodzilla. Decent men, who believed in a day’s clout for a day’s posts. Instead, they followed the droppings of failed toxxers and parachute accounts and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice.

Now the whole forum stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those GBS posters and anime watchers and Let’s Players... and all of a sudden, nobody can think of anything to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watchmen premieres Sunday, October 20th at 9:00 PM EDT on HBO.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 11, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hakkesshu posted:

Watchmen is maybe my favourite comic and Leftovers is probably my favourite show of the past 5 years so... I hope this turns out well.

Although I have faith in Lindelof NGL a lot of the marketing and dumb interview quotes have turned me off somewhat, and makes me feel like a lot of people won't give this show the time of day but we'll see.

Edit: Have there been any screener reviews yet?

I'm not sure if they've screened it for critics yet but I've actually seen the entire first episode!

I liked it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1184096088241905664?s=19

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1184016558823071744?s=19

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/1184120502706589697?s=19

It's good, folks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I found my copy of the graphic novel while digging through some boxes today. I'll take it as a good sign.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

beanieson posted:

Considering the ending of the movie was altered, is this supposed to be a sequel to the movie, or to the books?

I have seen the first episode, and it is definitively a sequel to the book.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scooter_McCabe posted:

How do you know 3, 5 and 6 are particularly good?

I believe they're a TV writer who has seen screeners.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really can't get over how smart it was to start the show with the Tulsa race riot, as gauche as that sounds as I type it. It conveys a sensitivity to the racial implications of its own premise, as well as the cyclical, generational nature of the events of that day, the original story, and now this series. It's like Lindelof predicted the hand-wringing about the "police opposing white supremacists" concept and decided to just immediately push those doubts aside.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure it was just Panda, yeah.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rocksicles posted:

I thought panda was a black guy under that stupid head.

Panda is played by Jacob Ming-Trent, who is black.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I just can't get into the historical context. Even in watchmen universe, the police are still the evolution of Slave Patrols, the police (and affiliated groups) are the ones doing the murdering in Tulsa, murdering labor organizations throughout history, and so on. The police would be on the exact same side as whatever right wing movement springs up, and to pretend they would fight against them would require a much different and longer term historical rewrite than we've been asked to accept.

I agree, but I also think the series is setting up a swerve here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Was president Redford from the books or some kind of supplemental material? I don't remember that, I thought it was a show invention.

The very last page has the doughboy at the New Frontiersman asking his boss what he thinks about Redford potentially running.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh god

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SalTheBard posted:

So I'm assuming with 400+ posts in this thread that Watchmen is very worth watching?

It is, but I don't know why you'd assume that from the post count

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am immediately skeptical of Don Johnson's account of this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

welp

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HOLY poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, so clones seems right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

uhhhhh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, that hour flew by

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Then go away

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're allowed to not like it, but making your criticism about how everyone else is an idiot is obnoxious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really not sure what people wanted here, for the entire plot to just get thrown out there immediately? The escape scene was both foreshadowed and unpredictable, which rules. And the slow drip of information is inherent to the medium of television.

Also "hamfisted" is a really great pejorative because you can just say it and it doesn't actually mean anything on its own.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am pretty confident Topher was playing with a magnetic toy, couldn't you hear the pieces snap together?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KoRMaK posted:

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

Lmao holy loving poo poo, this post is a masterpiece

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And there it is, not that it was ever in doubt

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

loving hell, Jean Smart

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

show good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tenzarin posted:

Ok so this episode really seemed like a waste of time.

You're crazy, that was great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the argument that it's fine because the call isn't for Manhattan, it's for Laurie makes the most sense here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uhhhhhhhhh what the gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what the poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doggie!

Nononononononononono

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe controversial given some of the talk in here, but I really like the slow unfold of the universe one character at a time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This episode rules

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

squid pro quo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Looks like that theory was accurate :stare:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, that's not Mars, it's Jupiter. So this is probably Europa?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Next episode looks like a trip

Codependent Poster posted:

He's actually building a ship of their corpses like he said he would. Holy poo poo.

Oh, guess not. Haha. Who was he sending the message to? Dan?

Yeah, it seemed like the message was "SAVE ME DA-" with the ending getting cut off, so it's entirely likely that he was sending it to Dan.

Anyway, do we know why the Kavalry seemed like they were about to kill Wade? Or did I horribly misread that ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't mean to be insulting with this but I honestly find it utterly baffling that anyone could complain about episodic cliffhangers in a TV show.

I mean, yeah, they're frustrating. That's the point.