Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

Internet conspiracy theory;

It's a pretty well known fact that Moore never liked how many people LOVED Rorschach. He's meant to be this flawed character who shows how hosed up black and white thinking is, but people are just unironically 100% supporters of him anyway.

Now in this show we have 2 characters that are Rorschach. Looking Glass is basically all the cool surface level poo poo. Neat mask, weird habits, but we don't really know what makes him tick. Sister Night on the other hand is basically Rorschach's philosophy without the same window dressing, right now she's torn and nuanced but I'm wondering if she has a 'dogs get put down' moment in the show and ends up being just the same twisted rorschach from the comics.

It'd be an interesting study into what exactly resonated with people about Rorschach in the first place, if it was just the surface level 'rule of cool' poo poo or if the actual morality system was what drew people in.

This is all apropos of nothing and meaningless internet spitballing but what else is TVIV for. It'd be an interesting consideration if the characters were written with that in mind.

It's all part of Ozymandias' secret plot, he's going to push them into the Dr. Manhattan reactor so they fuse, thereby resurrecting Rorschach.

"I've missed you old friend. Welcome back."

"Thanks. Great to be back. Hurmm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

JosefStalinator posted:

I think the most likely theory is that Veidt created the entire circumstances he's in somehow - he created a castle, servants, AND antagonists, and set rules for what they can and cannot do. This lets him play as much as he wants but still have some goals and obstacles to overcome.

Since he's the smartest greatest man or whatever, he has to set artificial limitations to remain challenged and entertained.

He made a puzzle for himself to help him figure out some greater goal. Like if he outwits the game warden, it translates to him having the means to blow up dr Manhattan or something.

Laurie was unpleasant and lame and her joke was loving tedious and not as clever as she thought it was and I hope sister night beats her up

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Seriously guys, imagine you're Dr. Manhattan and you come home to see your answering machine light blinking. You press play and it's loving Laurie with another "joke". No way are you listening to it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Does the general public know rorshachs dead?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Well I guess we know what use veidt had for his roasted stage actor's corpse now.

I'm not in love with the idea of pills that give you memories. And if the pills are a known thing in this universe, seems sister night should've figured out what they were based on Will's description. Oh well.

Presumably Looking Glass' ex would've needed to destroy one of the pills to analyze it, so I wonder if that'll be a plot point. Theres one memory missing!!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Plot twist, Manhattan didnt actually kill rorshach, he teleported him to pluto. Calling it now!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Why do you guys fixate on stuff like that when there's other things to fixate on, like "why has this series needed to do blatant exposition dumps like 4 or 5 times now"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bushido Brown posted:

I really enjoy this show but Laurie's dialogue is very poorly written, as a rule.

The performance manages to sell it regardless, but her dialogue is awful.

Seems to be unique to her character, too.

I have to disagree, I dont think its unique to Laurie. For example the dialogue between Angela and momma trieu (byun I think?) during this episode was pretty crummy too.

Related to that...does anyone else have a hard time finding the characters likable? Everyone's so rude and unpleasant and smug. I know that probably sounds ridiculous but the cast of main characters is a bunch of assholes; it's not fun spending time with them.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

Seconding that I like HJ and Looking Glass a lot. And Laurie, who's just a loveable rear end in a top hat and I love her quips. Angela I sympathize a lot with, but she's not exactly the most charming person, although she and I are similarly "what the gently caress" about a lot of things. Trieu is very mysterious and doesn't really have well-defined relationships with the rest of the characters, and spends most of her time in a metaphorical and (because of the elephants) literal ivory tower.

To be fair, a lot of the main characters in the original Watchmen were also a bunch of assholes: Rorschach was an antisocial moral absolutist, Manhattan a cold and distant superhuman, Ozymandias a genocidal lunatic, and the Comedian an amoral rapist.

I think one difference is that many of the original characters had a charisma and very well-defined belief systems that were pretty apparent from the get go, partly because we got a lot of POV ruminations from them on them. Rorschach's first thing is a monologue he writes in his journal about how he thinks the world is filled with filth and criminals destined for destruction. Manhattan's chapter includes ruminations on his extremely unique point of view, and Veidt gives his aforementioned monologues about why he thinks he's God's gift to humanity (which reading it again, holy god is he full of himself like nobody's business. loving taking a pilgrimage to follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great, Jesus).

The characters on the show don't really get to monologue like that, because of differences in the medium and everything. And the dialogue is I think a bit more understated. Not as many people waxing poetic about how the streets are filled with whores and poo poo.

I think you hit the nail on the head here :golfclap:

As far as the new characters, Looking Glass is good so far. HJ is good, with an asterisk because he just up and boned Mr. Metropolis at the drop of a hat despite having a pregnant wife. That was way too abrupt and I question the point of including it. It's also frustrating because being a gay or bi black man at that time would add a whole new layer to his conflicts/character but they didnt explore it, just showed him and Metropolis hooking up. Seems pointless

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's actually good to portray non-heterosexual characters without making that their Defining Trait

Do you ever question "the point" of an affair scene being specifically heterosexual?

If there's no previous indication that the cheating person was unsatisfied or whatever, yes. I mean if Angela just casually hooked up with someone else out of the blue (get it??) I'd be asking the same thing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

Okay, but it could have just as easily turned out that Angela was the Comedian's secret daughter and people could have been like "of course, the clues were on the poster the whole time!"

Yeah stuff like this is fun at first but it starts to get tiresome. I mean sure it's cute you can write trieu in such a way that if you turn it upside down it looks like veidt...but that's the type of stuff you should be adding late in the writing process. After you clean up the drat dialogue.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder how Trieu knew about Manhattan?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Episode stunk

beanieson posted:

Dong of the year 2019

E: finale better be 70 mins of Lube Man origin story

We saw his origin, pete was unprepared and sex with laurie was horrible. From that day forward he swore he'd never be without lube

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Putting a raw egg in manhattans beer was a real dick move

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So veidt's squid rains have been on autopilot for a couple years?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

zoux posted:

If he's in fact writing them for reviewers it's working because I can't find a single bad review from any where.

Maybe you should check the rotten tomatoes user score :smug:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This show has had several times where it felt the writers were speaking directly to the viewers and I thought it was weird.

"If you dont like my story, wrote your own" :smug:

"Remember in not-Schindler's List how they shot in black and white but used color to draw attention to something? Remember how powerful that technique was??" *uses same technique in very next episode*

That lindeloff quote makes a lot of sense

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They didn't even have to fight the 7th, they couldve just teleported away.

I wonder why veidt couldnt just overthrow/kill the game warden?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if nite owl is going to be in the last episode.

Probably not, they havent even introduced WatchMan ffs (I predict it will be Manhattan's father)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Just so I got this straight,

If the laser beam had killed Manhattan, he would've described it as "I dunno we go outside and suddenly theres nothing". The fact that he can describe it as being shot by a laser (and getting involuntarily teleported) means he has perspective on what happened after the fact, ergo he's still alive after being shot.

I know no one actually thinks he died but I'm just thinking this through and making sure it makes sense. The only reason he even knew it was a tachyon laser is because he was alive at some point after getting shot, and in fact at the very moment of getting shot he is probably like wtf

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What was it that saw veidt's corpse message...a space probe he knew would be passing at that moment, or a satellite installed to orbit around Europa?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I forget, did Manhattan only make the original 2 or did he make more? Veidt must've constructed those microwave chamber things, right? I don't imagine manhattan using them.

Veidt appears to fish premies out and finish them in the microwave...are they budding off in the lake or something? Do they naturally develop into adults and crawl out of the lake? Huh.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Actually no wonder he really likes to lay pipe, he's experiencing all those times at once

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I've been wondering how the writers couldve better conveyed what's happening and the only thing I could come up with would be to have manhattan always talk in present tense. So "I'm going to get shot by a laser" would be "I'm getting shot by a laser".

I dunno.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The problem with that scene was how dumb it went down. Just remove the fact that Manhattan knew he was going to get shot. His actions weren't influenced by that knowledge.

What you're left with is the same scene in every action movie you've ever watched. Angela rushes in against insurmountable odds, pulls off like 20 kills, then gets saved last second buy her partner!! How exciting! They continue to lay waste to the bad guys until they kill em all. Suddenly, from behind, one last dude hits her partner (one day from retirement!!).

It's a generic stupid action scene. I know the stock response to these complaints is "look at this goon action hero wannabe that would never make a mistake in a shootout, lol" but it was a lame scene.

I think people are seeing how dumb that scene was and that leads them to "manhattan wouldn't go out like such a chump, he mustve allowed for it to happen" which feeds into the confusion of "he knows the future and can intervene accordingly". The first half of that statement is true, the second half isnt.

Theres yet another stupid layer where you can argue Angela wouldn't have gone out to fight if Manhattan had kept his loving trap shut but that gets into the chicken/egg thing which is another point I dont like :colbert:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I think that Manhattan doing things that we perceive as being incredibly "dumb" is actually kinda the point (I know, bear with me), he shouldn't behave like we'd want him to. He's that fundamentally different than us. He's both smarter than humans but also... clueless in a way? That's kinda the fun paradox of him.

But I can totally understand the angle you're saying here, that even though it worked for his character it still felt like an action scene trope, and I agree that probably could have gone down better somehow. It does feel like lazy writing even if I also think it is justified, and that in itself can kinda put people off.

Yeah, it just makes it hard to understand his motivations. I mean, we're all in agreement that Manhattan will act in self preservation...right?

duck trucker posted:

This is probably stupid semantics but Manhattan doesn't see the future he is just actively living every moment of his life at all times. From his perspective he is getting shot, ending the Vietnam War, creating life, having sex, being a little voyeur in the closet, etc all at once.

No, this isnt semantics, it's a critical distinction and I need to be more careful how I word things, because the way I described it sometimes can contribute to the confusion. Good call.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The most interesting part of the finale was the whole game warden mask thing, I wish there was more of that discussion. Anyway manhattan dead = no more blue weiner in the watchmen universe

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Most reviews aren’t even reviews they’re just boring recaps and cataloguing Easter eggs.

The easter egg poo poo is annoying because it seems to distract people from the legit issues the show has

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The only good thing about this show. Was the soundtrack.

You know what really chaps my rear end, when laurie was telling her idiotic joke to the Corey hotline, the music was crafted around her dialogue. So when she got to her stupid punchline the music cut out to a couple seconds of silence so she could say THEN THE GOD GOT HIT ON THE HEAD BY THE BRICK as if it was a real drop the mic line. Then the music starts back up so we can revel in the awesome joke.

The music deserved better

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Then we wouldn’t have gotten that scene with The Clark’s :downs:

That reminds me...when people say "well they only had 60 minutes in the finale so they cant be expected to answer everything"...that's a total cop out. The season could've been longer but the writers said nah 9 episodes. Any issues with being rushed in the final episode were self inflicted, and that includes having indulgent scenes like trieu buying the farm (and I don't mean when she got squished lol)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Season 3 should be about the Europa colony and how they progress, forget about Earth.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
One thing we can all agree on, "how the west was really won" is the best song from the excellent soundtrack. Finally, some common ground!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Was treiu's mom really smart too? The clone was working on a dissertation but I thought the original was a cleaning lady or something

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Killer robot posted:

Being from some Vietnamese village during the war, it's not like she likely had great opportunity for education and career. She was smart enough to steal from Veidt and get out before he killed all his staff as part of his meticulously designed plot, so she was obviously no slouch.

Yeah that's fair. I think it would've been interesting to see what her motives were or some more background but oh well.

Mullitt posted:

Nothing she does in the show is ever presented in a negative light,

She tortures people, that's pretty scummy

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Treiu was a loving trillionaire. Maybe use that money to fix the world. She loving sucked

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If Manhattan wanted angela to get his powers why didnt he just tell her about the egg directly

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Nice try, gorgeous seductress, but your wily attempts to compromise me have failed! Do you seriously think I'd engage the opposite sex with a round in the chamber? I jerked off 35 minutes ago :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Lubeless???