Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Started watching the show last week because the premise of returning to the world of watchmen after the comics has really gripped me and the first episode didn't quite totally grab me, but I was curious enough to keep going.

This week was pretty drat good though and I think I'm onboard to see where it goes. I at first figured Veidt's servants might have been gifts from Manhattan, but it definitely doesn't seem that way now. I guess Veidt really has become unhinged after not getting a satisfactory answer from Manhattan way back in the 80s, did he? Kinda seems like he's got a few screws loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Wade's gonna be okay, right...?

Poor dude has lived nothing but awful trauma. Being a young Jehovah's Witness in and of itself is awful, but then giant squid. Really good episode, I think he's boned though :(

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Nonsense, Watchmen would never have a disaffected man who always wears a mask and sees the world in moral absolutism and is shaped by a severe trauma in his life be blown away immediately after having his worldview shattered by the revelation about the origin of the extradimensional squid attacks.

Hey listen, he might have a ton of similarities with Rorshach and they're very not subtle but he isn't a total one to one!

I just want more of Tim Blake Nelson. All I can remember seeing of him was Buster Scruggs and this show, and he's fantastic.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

So is the 7K plan is deeper than get the blacks, right? Because using teleport and futuristic/modern means just to one up some race seems really stupid.

I feel like there potentially is more to it but I wouldn't be surprised if it's played completely straight. I think playing it completely straight would certainly be boring as hell, but I could see the backlash against the racist dicks of the 7K not being completely evil. I don't think we know enough yet to say?

It felt like they were trying to show what Will was doing was way too far. I got a vibe of the whole meat packing place burning down reminded me of Rorshach burning down the house of the child murdering guy in the book. At the end, the Halloween synth music with him and the flashlight was some horror poo poo and Will didn't give a poo poo about anything Judd'd explanations. As soon as he discovered the robe, that was enough to murder him. I don't think any part of that was heroic, lawful or good at all, just brutal.

It seems like they probably are going to stay in the gray than anything else. Like if anything it feels like the sins of the past have been constantly framing and loving up the present and I wouldn't be surprised if the main characters reject the status quo and the villains are all of the old guard like Will and Veidt and or the people inspired by the past like Trieu and the 7K.

Either way this episode was pretty good, much like last week's. I really enjoy these single character deep dive episodes.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

as someone who only saw the last 2 minutes of this episode, i can’t think of anything in Will’s entire origin story and character development that would cause him to be brutal to chief of police in tulsa, oklahoma upon learning he is sympathetic to the ku klux klan.

perhaps the first 58 minutes of this episode (that i obviously haven’t seen) might explain Will’s deeply personal motivations for killing Judd in exacting detail, but i doubt it.

You're extremely clever, but maybe the point I was going for was Will murdering Judd muddies the waters of his cause given he originally never wanted to give into mob justice, almost like he's still doing a bad thing, even if it's to a bad person. It's almost like the episode (of which I obviously didn't watch) depicts that as not a morally correct thing to do. But as someone who never read the comic, maybe there's also moral ambiguity in it as well. Perhaps you can clue me in?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

MaoistBanker posted:

Sorry for the giant wall of text, but the flashlight being used on both Judd AND Angela has got this guy thinking on Reddit, and it's pretty good. It's a theory, so I won't spoiler it but beforewarned:

See, part of this is why I think the real villains are largely the old guard characters and how they influence and gently caress with the present day cast. Veidt inspired Trieu, Will trying to get Angela to see his worldview, and maybe Will influencing Trieu, Trieu to her daughter, etc. Not 100% on the Trieu/Will interaction but I can totally see Will's story being a sort of spark to inspire her. Like their experiences and biases bleed into the next generation and more or less poison them and Angela for one is fighting against it.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I hope they never explain the lube man.

THE gently caress?!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

I think people were loudly declaring he was after the episode where he's weirdly icy about the concept of Heaven or the afterlife, or even before that

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

I'm not really sure how you go to some other side story when you have the death of this universe's god as a major threat/another potential Veidt-level catastrophe. From what it sounds like they're fine with just leaving this as a one off miniseries and I think it might be kinda bad to keep it going beyond these nine episodes.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

The show was dumb, ultimately and would have been really goddamn dumb if they had her walking on water, but entertaining to watch each Sunday night. It's definitely some serious fanfiction-ey tier poo poo for sure and if I had to imagine the reviewers that are laying incessant praise on it are as obnoxious as the detractors screeching.

I really hope they don't do a second season, there's no drat point to do so. Neat story, fun to watch and the Peteypedia stuff was a cool accompanying piece, but ultimately, someone's fan fiction and isn't terribly deep.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The only good thing about this show. Was the soundtrack.

Yeah, that's probably the best part to come out of the show

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lol this how the gently caress did any of them survive. Pretty sure that Russian guy was dead to rights but no I guess he was just ok!

Not sure how falling squid puts a hole through Trieu's hands and the shower breaks the magic ball but it didn't kill any of the people around the area, or obliterate the Manhattan booth or the building with Reeves, etc

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah the TV version of him looks like absolute garbage, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

The premise was good and the episode by episode stuff was fun to watch each weekend but as a whole it's solidly average and at times a bit sanctimonious

Lube Man was the greatest part of the entire show, fight me if you dare