Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Lost is terrific. But it also drove people insane and played guessing games with its audience.
I'm also a Lost fan, and along these lines, I'm very much of the opinion that everything Lindelof has done in recent years is awesome. But it's all also quite divisive. Neither Prometheus nor Leftovers were easy on the audience, and a lot folks hated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Let the mystery be.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I feel like I might like this show but I’m allergic to Damon Lindelof. You promise it’s good?
I think it's excellent, but there's no accounting for taste. As such, I don't think that anyone can promise that you would think that it's good.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Danger posted:

The content warning was amazing and peak liberalism.
It was the funniest scene in the show thus far. Mysterious grandpa being yoinked away by a magnet from the sky, loony tunes style, being a close second.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm not getting "liberalism is bad" vibes from this show.

What is coming across very clearly is a critique of the authoritarian style of contemporary progressive politics. In that regard, the show is like extended argumentum ad absurdem.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

we keep saying liberlism, but, is it actually liberlism? Or is is progressivism? captial L liberalism is about the free market getting to shape the world, not individual rights to people. the show seems to be more about individual liberties.

This

Not sure what you mean by this though. What do you mean by this, though?
I definitely could have been clearer there - I'm reading the show's police as basically being the authoritarian tendencies in "cancel culture" and the like extended and acted out to an absurd degree.

So, taking the racist trailer park dude from episode 1 as an example, instead of loudly criticizing and ostracizing him from the larger community in the way that contemporary progressives might, Night, LG, Red et al. kidnap and extrajudicially murder him. This is said to be justified by his response to the "bias questions" being off the charts.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

People keep saying that night murdered that guy but do we have solid evidence of that?
Not really, but it's strongly suggested by the sheer amount of blood that was flowing into the piss.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

That was piss? I thought she just water boarded him
I'd imagined that he'd pissed himself when Night started beating him, and that Night subsequently opened a vein or smashed his head or something.

On reflection, it's not really clear what the first liquid was. With either explanation, the meaning of the scene is essentially the same. In reality though, waterboarding takes longer than what we saw, since the victim needs to be strapped down, etc...

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Stylistically, sure. Keene's likely orchestration of the Y'al Qaeda conspiracy is kind of a big difference though.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ymgve posted:

Kidneys?
Possibly ovaries. Uighers are being sterilized in the Xinjiang concentration camps, so that might make more sense. Although involuntary organ harvesting is also a thing.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That was wonderful.
It was. Wasn't expecting the romance to work but it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

superjew posted:

I will always remember the wave of people that first learned about the Tulsa massacre from this show but initially thought it was just part of the show’s fiction.
U.S. public education is kind of poo poo, so it's hard to blame them. I honestly think that this show did a lot to raise awareness regarding that event, and whatever else people might think about the show, that's important.