Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

*Open up to me in bright yellow rain gear holding a BYOB microphone*

Hello. This is your reporter SweetWillyRollbar and this is...

*Sweet laser sounds and intense theme music plays*

The Eye...of the Storm!

Typhoon number 19 (some people call it Hagibis) is currently approaching the Japanese mainland. Here is Osaka we have fairly heavy rainfall that started early this morning and will continue most likely into the evening. Wind has yet to develop but is expected to do so within the next several hours! I will be checking in from time to time to keep everyone updated on the severity of the storm as well as the state of my beer, whisky, snack, food, and water rations. We still have running water and electricity. That's not likely to change but I do have a large bottle of water. Better safe than sorry!

The plan right now is to make breakfast burritos to keep spirits up! Back to you anchor lady!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Very worried about anchor lady, I'm sure she can hold the ship in place but how long can she hold her breath :ohdear:

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

Very worried about anchor lady, I'm sure she can hold the ship in place but how long can she hold her breath :ohdear:

It's a dangerous job but it's the kind of thing they take seriously in journalism school. She's a trained professional.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

This is SweetWillieRollbar, I'm reporting back. In the nude. There was a long lull in the rain but it has started up again. No gale force winds yet but that could be coming. I am also watching John Wick for the first time. I keep pausing so I'm only like 20 minutes in. If the wind picks up to the point I'm thinking of opening up my bottles of Lambic. I was thinking of drinking them with friends but my place is tiny so I never really have guests.

Back to you Kathie!

Escape From Noise

Typhoon was a wet fart. Anyone have any harrowing takes of surviving a brush with an angry Mother Nature?

death sext

John wick could get in there and assassinape the typoon. Maybe it got scared becuz it thought the movie was real

death sext

mother nature once attacked me with bees while I was riding a horse and then I fell off the horse. furthermore I fell under the horse. on one side I was being assaulted by bees and on the other front was the horse's terrible hooves

the moral of the story is I died :ghost:

death sext

death sext posted:

mother nature once attacked me with bees while I was riding a horse and then I fell off the horse. furthermore I fell under the horse. on one side I was being assaulted by bees and on the other front was the horse's terrible hooves

the moral of the story is I died :ghost:

actually it was wasps, much scarier.

~ don't * ride * horses ~

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
**cheers you on with an aching back due to Subtropical System Melissa roaring off the Eastern Seaboard**

death sext

stay safe, splatmaster's PSP's back

Escape From Noise

death sext posted:

actually it was wasps, much scarier.

~ don't * ride * horses ~

Way ahead of you. I'm not so fold of them.

Edit: Also wasps are terrible jerks. The Japanese hornets are fuckin' serious business. When I was a teacher in rural Nara every classroom had this serious giant can of bug spray that hand a handle and trigger like a bazooka to take them out if they entered the classroom.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 12, 2019

Escape From Noise

death sext posted:

stay safe, splatmaster's PSP's back

Heather Papps

hello friend

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Typhoon was a wet fart. Anyone have any harrowing takes of surviving a brush with an angry Mother Nature?

one time the outboard died as a thunderstorm whipped up so i had to jump out of the ALUMINUM boat and get in the WATER near the SHORELINE and just like pulled the boat full of my family to the dock.

it was pretty scary honestly cuase i understand electricity a lil bit

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Stoner Sloth

do animals count as Mother Nature trying to kill you? (as an Aussie this may be cheating)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Escape From Noise

Stoner Sloth posted:

do animals count as Mother Nature trying to kill you? (as an Aussie this may be cheating)

I'd say so. For reference: Deathsext's bee/horse post

Heather Papps

hello friend

Stoner Sloth posted:

wanna hear dem tales

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I used to go to a lake in the Summer about 2 hours north of NYC, at least once a month with my family. Typical lake, lake shore, sand for towels and sunning- a rope showing where the water got deeper, and a floating raft out aways with a low, medium and high dive.

I was a horrible swimmer as a kid, but I liked the lake- making sand castles and wading in the water by the shore. The rope (it had floats every few few, so it floated) became a target for my brother and my best friend Michael growing up. A challenge, a right of passage- if you can make it to the rope, you were a badass. So they would swim out past the rope, and float or tread water while I stood in the shallower end wishing I didn't suck so much.

One time when we were at the lake when I was 8 years old, some friends of my parents showed up with their kids, Annmarie and Jimmy. Annmarie was my age. I liked her.

I of course didn't exist to her.

Eventually, we all made it out into the water, some people went off to the dock in the middle of the lake, but I stayed close to shore. At one point my stepdad was launching Annmarie into the air, he was cupping his hands together and she put her foot into it, like a stirrup- and he shoved her up and she was able to sort of dive into the water.

I decided now was my chance to prove that i was a badass, and I would make it out to that floating rope- I was close to 5 feet tall, the water was 5 feet deep- today was the day! I was going to show Annmarie how brave I was, and make it to that rope! My stepdad's back was to me now, as I walked closer to the rope. Almost there- got it! Except...

I walked to the edge of an underwater crater. My foot slipped, and I sank down- and gasped, inhaling a lungful of air.

Down once.

Up I went- i coughed, but nothing really came out.

Down twice.

Up again I went, coughing now- I got something out; did he hear? All I saw was his back to me, and

Down the third time.

I felt a sort of calm wash over me. I saw a quick brief flash, 8 years of memories didn't take long at all to go before my eyes- and I could sense, more than see a bright light. Should I walk toward it?

Suddenly, violence; motion, yelling, motion- I was picked up and THROWN toward the shore. My stepdad was FURIOUS! I was made to lie under a blanket in the sun for an hour or so to "dry me out".

I had failed utterly at impressing Annmarie, pissed off my stepdad for DARING to almost drown (he was Korean War Navy, he took it to heart I suspect and I think I scared the poo poo out of him) and thwarted Mother Nature, not for the last time.

Flash forward a few years.

I overcame my fear of water and became an ok swimmer. I was in the ocean, bobbing in the waves on an inflatable beach ball, when suddenly I found myself getting away from shore FAST.

"Don't Panic!" Douglas Adams said to me from the cover of Hitchhiker's Guide in my mind's eye, so I didn't. I floated. And got carried out a ways from shore. And then I swam parallel to shore, and a wave caught me and threw me back to shore with around the same force as my stepdad that first time.

It happened one more time after that, I got grabbed by a riptide- but I didn't have a beach ball, I did not panic, and I swam parallel to the shore- until another helpful wave grabbed a hold of me and threw me back to the shore.

I live about 7 miles from the ocean. When people ask me why I don't go to the beach that much, I think of those stories, and rather than waste their time with them, I just shrug...

alnilam

stay safe splatmaster's lungs

ty manifisto

alnilam

a few months ago i was biking home from work and what turned out to be a severe t-storm was just forming right where i was. i usually watch the radar before i leave work and make sure nothing orange or red (severe storm) is rolling through because if it is i can usually wait it out and ride home in the green/yellow part (rain). but it didn't help this time because the storm formed right on us.

anyway i can sort of see this happening so I'm hurrying and now it's pouring and i'm really hurrying on this sorta exurban road, it comes up to the crest of a bigass hill, the highest point of my ride and a big bald spot with no taller trees nearby, definitely the most dangerous spot in my ride in terms of lightning danger, and i hurry the hell through that part to get down the hill.

halfway down the hill, lightning hits somewhere behind me so close that i can see the flash very clearly in daylight despite there not being much for it to reflect off of, and the sound is instantaneous and practically knocks me off my bike. it almost certainly struck the top of that hill and if it had come 30 seconds sooner who knows what would have happened.

anyway fortunately there are some like park pavilion shelter things at the bottom of the hill so i get in one and i'm shaking and soaked and wait out the storm while lightning hits sort of close all around me - cloud to ground strikes i can see and some are within half a mile, but none nearly as close as that first one - and i end up waiting for like an hour because i am apparently at the genesis point of this storm that just keeps growing and growing like a plume of smoke emanating from my location

i think i posted on byob while i was waiting

ty manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

a few months ago i was biking home from work and what turned out to be a severe t-storm was just forming right where i was. i usually watch the radar before i leave work and make sure nothing orange or red (severe storm) is rolling through because if it is i can usually wait it out and ride home in the green/yellow part (rain). but it didn't help this time because the storm formed right on us.

anyway i can sort of see this happening so I'm hurrying and now it's pouring and i'm really hurrying on this sorta exurban road, it comes up to the crest of a bigass hill, the highest point of my ride and a big bald spot with no taller trees nearby, definitely the most dangerous spot in my ride in terms of lightning danger, and i hurry the hell through that part to get down the hill.

halfway down the hill, lightning hits somewhere behind me so close that i can see the flash very clearly in daylight despite there not being much for it to reflect off of, and the sound is instantaneous and practically knocks me off my bike. it almost certainly struck the top of that hill and if it had come 30 seconds sooner who knows what would have happened.

anyway fortunately there are some like park pavilion shelter things at the bottom of the hill so i get in one and i'm shaking and soaked and wait out the storm while lightning hits sort of close all around me - cloud to ground strikes i can see and some are within half a mile, but none nearly as close as that first one - and i end up waiting for like an hour because i am apparently at the genesis point of this storm that just keeps growing and growing like a plume of smoke emanating from my location

i think i posted on byob while i was waiting

I was in an aircraft hangar at Osan Air Base in the middle of monsoon season and a storm was raging outside. There was thunder, the lights went out, and there was an eerie silence.

The silence was rent asunder by and unnatural BZZZzrrrzzZZZrRRRRTTTTT! as a ball of electricity floated across the bottom of the metal roof of the hangar.

it was the most beautiful, scary, weird and awesome thing I have ever seen in my entire electrical career.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

uh one time i was backpacking the kalalau trail on kaua'i, it's gorgeous and a fairly strenuous 11 miles to get out to this incredible beach and valley full of guava and lilikoi, the kalalau valley is like paradise and it's only accessible by this hike (probably why it's paradise). it's so pretty like they filmed the flying in to jurassic park thing in this area iirc.

anyway the whole hike is going up and down these knifepoint ridges on the coast, then into the valley, then back out and over the next ridge. most of it is pretty lush so even though it's steep, it's like if you fell you'd grab a tree or something.

one of these ridges is particularly exposed to the sun though i guess and is totally barren and covered in this crumbly reddish pebbly soil. the trail narrows to like 6 inches where above and below you is super steep and if you take one false step there is nothing to grab onto so you would slide down to, literally, a sheer dropoff into some jagged rocks pounded by giant waves. in short you would definitely 100% be dead if you slipped off the 6" wide trail. i nearly slipped at one point and i think my hiking pole saved my life.

the next ridge was rocky cliffside that you had to sort of edge along a foot-wide ledge for a bit but there was at least a rock face to hold on to and it was sturdy underfoot so it wasn't nearly as scary as the crumbly dirt cliff.

apparently we hiked it at its very worst bc on our hike back to civilization a few days later there were trail workers widening the trail to like two feet.

those are probably my top two could-have-died nature stories thanks for reading

ty manifisto

alnilam

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I was in an aircraft hangar at Osan Air Base in the middle of monsoon season and a storm was raging outside. There was thunder, the lights went out, and there was an eerie silence.

The silence was rent asunder by and unnatural BZZZzrrrzzZZZrRRRRTTTTT! as a ball of electricity floated across the bottom of the metal roof of the hangar.

it was the most beautiful, scary, weird and awesome thing I have ever seen in my entire electrical career.

ewoa,h

ty manifisto

alnilam

oh one more scary nature story before baby wakes up

we're at my sister in law's place on vashon island in the puget sound. the backstory is strange but suffice to say, she asked me to help her go steal a big stainless steel outdoor table that was in her neighbor's fenced-in garden (they were new renters and didn't know about the garden yet as it was sort of hidden back in the woods, the owners told her about the table and that she should take it before they discover it). she's like, come with me on a bonding mission, let's go steal this table, at night, with headlamps. my wife is pregnant at the time so she remains behind to chill with sister in law's husband who has a hurt back.

anyway it's about a quarter mile hike through the woods and we get there. we had already been in the secret garden during the day and it was quite nice. i look in through the 8 foot high deer fencing and i see big, round, fire-orange, glowing eyes looking back at me. i've seen a lot of eyes at night and i know what most of them look like. deer are silvery and small and anyway basd on the abundance of uneaten fruit in that garden, the deer fence was clearly effective. raccoon? too big, too wide set, too orange. the eyes do a side to side motion, trying to get a better look at me. it's a cougar. as my eyes adjust i can even see the outline of its head.

so we abort the mission and walk briskly back down to the fire at the house. holy poo poo. we just saw a cougar.

we tell everyone at the fire and they're like you are paranoid it was probably a raccoon. eventually sister in law and I, like idiots in a horror movie, decide to go back towards the danger. We want to go back up there and prove to ourselves what it was - she has kids and wants to know for sure. Also wife and brother in law dont' believe us so they're like lol let's all go up there it's fine.

Anyway I insist on arming ourselves in case it attacks (highly unlikely on a group of 4 adults but you never know), so i get an axe, he gets a pitchfork, sister in law gets a hoe, wife takes nothing cause she's like you guys are being paranoid.

we get up there. no eyes. brother in law is like gently caress it let's get this table then and opens the gate. sister in law is nervous, I'm like we're fine there are 4 of us and we're armed. Still no cougar sighting and we begin examining the table to see how entangled in vines it is. suddenly my wife, the biggest doubter, is like gently caress I SEE IT it's like 20 feet behind us, kinda between us and the gate!!

So we gather really close together, holding our weapons out, wife picks up a rusty lawn chair and holds it up as a barrier, and keeping our fronts to the cougar, we slowly move past it and out the gate.

I wouldn't say we nearly died butit was a cool and semi dangerous story!

that's the last one i think please like and subscribe

ty manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I'm not afraid of heights, electricity, spiders and critters, and most other things.

My one morbid fear?

Driving.

I live in the middle of nowhere and it drives me nuts :lol:

It still amazes me that I made it through 10 years in the Air Force coping with it

alnilam

more peopel should be afraid of driving tbh it's the number one killa

ty manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

oh one more scary nature story before baby wakes up

we're at my sister in law's place on vashon island in the puget sound. the backstory is strange but suffice to say, she asked me to help her go steal a big stainless steel outdoor table that was in her neighbor's fenced-in garden (they were new renters and didn't know about the garden yet as it was sort of hidden back in the woods, the owners told her about the table and that she should take it before they discover it). she's like, come with me on a bonding mission, let's go steal this table, at night, with headlamps. my wife is pregnant at the time so she remains behind to chill with sister in law's husband who has a hurt back.

anyway it's about a quarter mile hike through the woods and we get there. we had already been in the secret garden during the day and it was quite nice. i look in through the 8 foot high deer fencing and i see big, round, fire-orange, glowing eyes looking back at me. i've seen a lot of eyes at night and i know what most of them look like. deer are silvery and small and anyway basd on the abundance of uneaten fruit in that garden, the deer fence was clearly effective. raccoon? too big, too wide set, too orange. the eyes do a side to side motion, trying to get a better look at me. it's a cougar. as my eyes adjust i can even see the outline of its head.

so we abort the mission and walk briskly back down to the fire at the house. holy poo poo. we just saw a cougar.

we tell everyone at the fire and they're like you are paranoid it was probably a raccoon. eventually sister in law and I, like idiots in a horror movie, decide to go back towards the danger. We want to go back up there and prove to ourselves what it was - she has kids and wants to know for sure. Also wife and brother in law dont' believe us so they're like lol let's all go up there it's fine.

Anyway I insist on arming ourselves in case it attacks (highly unlikely on a group of 4 adults but you never know), so i get an axe, he gets a pitchfork, sister in law gets a hoe, wife takes nothing cause she's like you guys are being paranoid.

we get up there. no eyes. brother in law is like gently caress it let's get this table then and opens the gate. sister in law is nervous, I'm like we're fine there are 4 of us and we're armed. Still no cougar sighting and we begin examining the table to see how entangled in vines it is. suddenly my wife, the biggest doubter, is like gently caress I SEE IT it's like 20 feet behind us, kinda between us and the gate!!

So we gather really close together, holding our weapons out, wife picks up a rusty lawn chair and holds it up as a barrier, and keeping our fronts to the cougar, we slowly move past it and out the gate.

I wouldn't say we nearly died butit was a cool and semi dangerous story!

that's the last one i think please like and subscribe

A cougar would concern me. A lot. Would a laser pointer work to distract a cougar from eating you?

I want some sweet, sweet federal grant money to research this

death sext

We're out of puma range but every so often someone swears they saw one and I get spooked taking the trash out

Another horse incident I was riding a horse up in the Rockies, one of those casual ride slowly in a line things. Ice and snow kept balling up in my horse's hooves and it would slip a little. I said uh hey is this safe? and the rider guide said nbd.

But then it was a big deal! The horse slipped right as we were going around a narrow trail over a big slope. Down we go, me on the ground sliding in front and the horse sliding behind me. I accepted that the horse was going to roll over on little kid me and I would be dead, which was honestly ok. School sucks.

Unfortunately I was not freed from this mortal coil to never do homework again. We hit a flatter spot and the horse stood up and I stood up and the guide was happy we were both alive because that would have been a lot of paperwork.

don't ride horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

When I was teaching English in Rural Nara, I think it was my first year, I was on a little day hike in the village with the kindergarteners. We're walking up this Hill and one kid suddenly says something that basically means "I'm scared/it's scary!" we look.up and there is this massive loving boar just standing there. Everyone freezes and the boar, thank God, runs away from us up the hill.

Another time in the winter I was driving home and was a few hundred feet or so from my apartment when a boar jumped out and dashed in front of my car. I slammed on my brakes and fishtailed a little on the icy road but managed to not hit anything. Good thing too. I'm sure that boar would have destroyed my car.