Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

vdate posted:

Presumably they've considerably tightened up/standardized consistency on what the parry-windows for attacks are as part of that refocusing, same way Metal Gear Rising did for its parries.
The parry window is very generous compared to Souls; it's one of the reasons the combat works as well as it does. The other is the already mentioned fact that failing to deflect results in a block as opposed to damage unless it's a perilous attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres also a really nice, fine balance between blocks and parrying

Blocking safe, but decreases your posture and many attacks stunlock you after blocking. However you can recover posture by holding the guard stance.

Parrying decreases posture but you cannot be guard broken ever. You also take less block stun and can counterattack immediately.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Don't drink and arson on the job.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That fall won’t necessarily kill you if you have enough health, you’ll just face plant, take a bunch of damage, and be teleported back up.

I also never learned how to git gud with the Mist Raven. But I learned that it can proc off ticking DoT damage, so some people use contact medicine to activate the Mist Raven at will!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bright purple with stripes might not make you stealthy, but it does make you fabulous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Took me forever to figure out how to deal with that ninja.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw, I was hoping to see some competent Mist Ravening since its upgrades sound cool as hell but I never really thought of using it as opposed to the standard parry/dodge.

Anyway, that ninja right there is a right bastard at the beginning due to his unconventional moveset but once you decipher the way he telegraphs his attacks, he can be defeated pretty simply. Or you can do what apparently most players I talked to do: just lure him to the cliff's edge and jump into the river. Before you climb back up, he will lose interest and start a leisurely stroll back to the pagoda, letting you backstab him easily.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I might've missed it somewhere along the video, what's that attack power thing? How's that get upgraded?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It's called koi, but koi are carp.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

megane posted:

Bright purple with stripes might not make you stealthy, but it does make you fabulous.
it's naruto training - the more garish your outfit is, the more handicapped your stealth abilities are, and the more you have to learn how to be really stealthy! Like putting a jingly bell on a cat.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 27, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

RareAcumen posted:

I might've missed it somewhere along the video, what's that attack power thing? How's that get upgraded?

That's just your damage output. We haven't shown it off yet, but you upgrade it with an item you get from beating a full boss. We've only beaten minibosses so far, so we don't have one yet, but we will in part 5.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Dowsing powder actually will cure you of the burning status, it's the red gourd that only removes the buildup. Same thing for poison as well.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dr Christmas posted:

That fall won’t necessarily kill you if you have enough health, you’ll just face plant, take a bunch of damage, and be teleported back up.

I also never learned how to git gud with the Mist Raven. But I learned that it can proc off ticking DoT damage, so some people use contact medicine to activate the Mist Raven at will!

There's a specific attack type later on the Mist Raven and it's upgrades are incredible for.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thorn the Pot Nobel is the toilet hand guy from Zelda.

But in this universe he sells YOU the paper

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That purple shinobi also looks like he got no left arm! That's third one.

Is leaping monkey the budda carver?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ancient Japan, land of people with missing extremities.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GodFish posted:

Dowsing powder actually will cure you of the burning status, it's the red gourd that only removes the buildup. Same thing for poison as well.

The gourds provide resistance to build up as well as removing it, but yeah they don't cure the actual status.

Collect them all!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

NHO posted:

That purple shinobi also looks like he got no left arm! That's third one.

Is leaping monkey the budda carver?

The purple shinobi does have a left arm, he’s hiding it because it’s the one he uses for shuriken and sneaky nonsense.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Interesting about the purple ninjas, they have their arms but they're tied up so tight they putrefy and eventually rot, which is how they get the Vile Hand.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's so they can boast about beating you with one arm tied behind their backs.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I platinum’d this a few weeks ago. It took four runs. I did the last one without Kuro’s charm, which means blocks lessen damage instead of preventing it, so you have to git gud at parrying. Then I decided to try starting from the beginning again. Last night I tried fighting the Shinobi guarding the mist raven feathers with no health or attack upgrades, and I too quickly nope’d out.

Like a couple of things in this video, there is indeed a reason that this mysterious, over-leveled jerk is lurking around the Hirata estate that will become clear later.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 28, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The ninja guy is the graveyard skeleton of this game.

People were so pissed at him and the supposed difficulty not realizing there's absolutely no reason to fight him at this point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair on your first playthrough you can't really tell if the flashback area is for keeps and so there was fear of locking yourself out of whatever he's guarding.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I didn't even find it until almost the end of my playthrough when I went looking for the missing prosthetic

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's real easy for a new player to be relying on constantly guarding and trying to get the parry with this enemy as well. And that's a formula for getting stomped.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Do drink and kill everyone around you on the job.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll playing this game again after a few months off because of this thread. Still can't beat the two bosses I've been stuck on forever. Thanks, jerks :argh:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

JigglyJacob posted:

Does every enormous fat dude in From Software games HAVE to have a thong?
would you rather they NOT have a thong?

because that route goes right back to Bloodborne's veterinary procedures

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Plain oil is all well and good, but things get really exciting when you get helicopter oil.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, the more I watch Thorn playing this game, the more on the fence I am about playing it myself.

Mind you, I've gone from completely against the idea of playing it to on the fence.

The difficulty curve might be practically vertical, but it also seems to reward caution and thoughtful play in a way that Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne did not--and combat in those games was very much stacked in the enemy's favor. On the other hand, it feels like Wolf can body his opponents just as easily as they can body him.

Taking the other quality of life improvements over Soulsborne into account as well, Sekiro is really starting to pique my interest.

I was told to never, ever bother playing the original Dark Souls because the difficulty would make me ragequit. I dropped five bucks on it during a Steam sale out of curiosity, and it wound up being one of my most favorite games of all time. Perhaps I would do well to give Sekiro the same opportunity.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You should absolutely play it.
Remember that you can block pretty much anything that isnt doesnt trigger a :doink:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
But also keep in mind they have not yet a difficulty spike yet. One is very close, though.

It's a great game and very much worth trying anyway.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

KieranWalker posted:

I gotta say, the more I watch Thorn playing this game, the more on the fence I am about playing it myself.

Mind you, I've gone from completely against the idea of playing it to on the fence.

The difficulty curve might be practically vertical, but it also seems to reward caution and thoughtful play in a way that Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne did not--and combat in those games was very much stacked in the enemy's favor. On the other hand, it feels like Wolf can body his opponents just as easily as they can body him.

Taking the other quality of life improvements over Soulsborne into account as well, Sekiro is really starting to pique my interest.

I was told to never, ever bother playing the original Dark Souls because the difficulty would make me ragequit. I dropped five bucks on it during a Steam sale out of curiosity, and it wound up being one of my most favorite games of all time. Perhaps I would do well to give Sekiro the same opportunity.

In typical From style the combat is very fair. With only a couple of exceptions, the exact same rules apply to enemies as to you. So in Sekiro even those big dudes with hammers (and later on, also the big bosses) can be blocked and parried just like anything else. It takes a bit of getting used to if you're coming from soulsbourne games because the rules there tend to be that you can block small enemies but are better off dodging the big slow enemies.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You should absolutely play it.
Remember that you can block pretty much anything that isnt doesnt trigger a :doink:
not only that, but you can parry drat near any attack in the game, with the exception of grabs, IIRC.
the special :doink: attacks have a much tighter window, and it's better to do the roll or jump, but you can parry them too if you need to.

e: I mention this because one of my complaints with DS/BB, for all I love those games, is that there'd be a lot of the time when you go to parry something, and the game goes "hey, who told you you could use THAT mechanic here?? only dodge rolling allowed here, I don't care HOW much windup we gave this attack." Especially so where the bigger bosses were concerned.

Sekiro? You can parry gunshots, explosions, and even a giant gorilla punching you in the face. It took a while for that to really sink in.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 3, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The beginning route is kind of weird. After you get the bell, you can head to the Hirata estate or continue down the main route and fight an unskippable miniboss who’s weak to one of the tools you get from the Hirata estate. Both it and Juzou are roadblock bosses for people new at the game even if you have the tool. After that, the first real boss of the main path is easier than the boss of the Hirata estate. Not only that, but the Hirata boss drops an item that you turn into a certain NPC for an upgrade, but you can’t meet them until you’re in the second third of the game.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
As far as I can tell the route of least resistance for a new player is basically pingponging back and forth between the main route and Hirata in an entirely obtuse order that you'd have no way to knowing someone would be a massive roadblock until you'd made it a bit the other way.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I found that the NPCs before the Ogre tend to hint quite clearly that you are supposed to go to the estate first.
After that it should be fairly reasonable to assume that you are expected to switch paths every time a boss feels to hard for you.

It is the best approach to this game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What's the deal with discussing poo poo that hasn't shown up in the LP yet? Do you want it spoiler tagged or avoided entirely or what?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Keep it spoiler tagged for people who want to stay blind. I'm more concerned with my co-commentators being surprised, but they're not on SA, so we're good there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GodFish posted:

As far as I can tell the route of least resistance for a new player is basically pingponging back and forth between the main route and Hirata in an entirely obtuse order that you'd have no way to knowing someone would be a massive roadblock until you'd made it a bit the other way.

Isn't the entire point of nonlinear structure the ability to gently caress off and go do stuff somewhere else for a while if/when things get too tough? Even if the path of absolute minimum resistance is the back-and-forth you mention, I feel like in more practical terms people will switch routes when (and possibly only when) they decide that proceeding on their present one is implausible for the time being - and that so doing constitutes the nonlinearity thing working as intended.

E: which is exactly what VictualSquid said. brb; switching paths so I can go beat up Reading Comprehension Man.