Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i contend that OOKY SPOOKY NOW YOU'RE IN JAIL is a perfectly cromulent Dark Souls plot summary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Earlier shitpost aside this has me wanting to give the game another try. I stalled out real early, at... Jyobu the Drunk I think? on one path, and just after first meeting something in a canyon on the other route at the time. Just stopped making progress and gave up. Maybe I'll learn something here!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait, firecrackers?

drat, I got stuck not much farther from this point, and I'm learning I missed huge pieces of the game :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Ooh, man, you're gonna be really steamed when he gets the other four swords.

long as he gets a Zenos-style mechanical golf bag to carry and use all 5 katanas mid fight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Samovar posted:

I am interested to see this game played through by people knowing what they're doing. So keep it up!

Even in these supposedly "fumbling" early stages ThornBrain is doing so much better than I did, it's kind of unreal. Must have died two dozen times before I progressed to the ol' red-eye they mentioned :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bike tory posted:

For anyone playing along with the LP: you can parry the Shichimen Warrior's kamehameha beam thing. The timing is quite generous, and it makes the fight significantly easier.

are you loving serious

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

Sekiro follows Dragon Ball rules. Haven't you seen those mini-bosses charging up their chi?

Dragon Ball rules my rear end, this game is loving MGR with a reskin! :mad:

(e: not a bad thing, even as a joke :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 1, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oops wrong thread

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 7, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

edit wroooong tab and thread :argh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 15, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

I had absolutely no idea Snap Seeds do that.

Me neither.

Thorn insists that fight with the Corrupted Monk is pretty easy; on my own first playthrough I completely failed to beat her until I stunlocked her 100-50ish with pocket sand and exploding pocket sand. (Not the deathblow... exploit?... that Thorn showed, just attacking while she flinched.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The thing about that is, even being halfway through NG+1, I don't really recognize the difference! The goal's to break posture either way, but whether I have to drain Vitality first or not my response is the same: get swingin' and deflectin'

Probably that's why Corrupted Monk was so rough - I don't know what moves are reliable for hitting Vitality besides the dodge-counter. (And fire/poison where applicable)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 22, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i love and loathe those goddamn kite tengu in equal measure

they scared the poo poo out of me the first time, and killed me once more before I worked out how to get by, but you gotta respect the sheer chutzpah involved

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There are exceptions: You can deflect the snake-eyes grab move, and a future boss also has a sweep-grab that can be avoided by jump kicking in place

TIL on the snake-eyes grab, but I'm gonna keep dodging anyway because the timing on that is super weird

On the Perilous topic, I think we've already seen examples of non-Perilous attacks that are still unblockable. At least it seems, having been through it a few times, that some of Corrupted Monk's slams will slap you silly if you even try to deflect, let alone block.
[quote]

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Samurai in the dojo can be a bit hard to perfect parry with the default controls. Slapping your block button somewhere that's easier to double-tap can really make him trivial.
As usual I prefer dealing with the Ashina Elite(s?) via application of berserk aggression. Usually prevents them sheathing, and when they jump back after deflecting you and sheathe anyway, to run forward and dodge to the side when the Iai comes out. Seemed more reliable than going for the deflect on that jackass

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 31, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Qvark posted:

Just want to chime in and say that this is a fantastic LP. Tried some random YouTube LP:s of sekiro earlier this year and :barf:

Saaame

I liked LobosJr's first playthrough, streamed and saved to Youtube, but beyond that and this one I haven't found one I can stand listening to

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh! I had read that deflects meant posture could never be broken, so I always ride high on it when I know the animations well. I didn't think those heavy slams would break that rule, didn't make the connection. Good to know!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah, they don't break that rule, but if you have the timing even a little off it will count as a block instead of a deflect and so you'll eat crow. The flying back slide on the ground animation isn't a posture break, but it might as well be with how long you take to recover when it happens. Genechiro's fully drawn arrow can cause the same effect on a parry as a note of interest.

Are these attacks that mush you through blocks if your posture breaks the same ones that cause the pushback on deflect? (Therefore it's always worth getting out of the way instead?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ThornBrain posted:

More like "O'Rinsed"
:tizzy:

Still watching the video but I gotta say "it's like a cloud of... Hepatitis" left me dead for lack of oxygen :rip:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KieranWalker posted:

Hilarious, but I feel compelled to point out, that smiley exploding is perfectly in sync with the flickering of your avatar.

Huh, neat. :tizzy doesn't get enough use imo so I've resolved to use it on anything that so much as smells like a pun or dad joke

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Incidentally ThornBrain you did exactly the opposite of what I did with the Monkey Party: I saw them and thought "there's no way I'm not getting stuck in" and leaped into the middle of them, sword a whirlin

it ended badly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Morroque posted:

What gets me about Senpou Temple is just how picturesque it looks. So colourful and cheery. It's like the one thing from a Soulsborne game that seems like a tourist destination.

So of course the Fromsoft story writers would go "haha, yeah, that's where they killed all the children."

I didn't quite grok what was going on until roughly when I met a later NPC. made the bad feelings about stabbing all those "buddhist" monks go away, toot-sweet :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't wait for that alarmingly prescient (if accidental) foreshadowing early in the LP to be borne out. That must be within the next couple parts and I'm excited :D

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm actually enraged at how easy a time you had with that loving orange monkey

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ThornBrain posted:

The guys have no idea what's coming.

and it was good :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Yeah the Guardian Ape refight is great. You know how to deal with the boss, but then it throws a huge curve at you. But wait, you've seen this curve before!!

Beating the second fight first try felt really really excellent.

Hey, got-it-first-try bud :hfive:

The re-fight is basically a final exam - you've seen all the bits, and mastered them; you just need to put them together. (It helps that the mate has extremely little posture and vitality, though)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I dunno, I never had as much trouble with it there, or anywhere else, as I did in the final room of Hirata Estate. Those fuckin support beams :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Said it in the video comments and I'll say it here: the Assassins' grab's sound effect is nasty :eek:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 16, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

UnSmith posted:

This Let's Play finally convinced me to buy the game and now I'm on the final boss and I really need you to finish this because I'm pretty sure it's impossible....

The thread in Games is talking about said final boss on the last page; ask in there with what's giving you trouble and people like me will fall all over themselves to offer advice solicited and not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NHO posted:

It was very wrong decision, yes.
Worst dad.

On the other hand, the idiot got a good stabbin', and we got a kick rear end flaming arm AND another rad sword, so it's impossible to say if it's good or not,

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

they're ghost glasses anyway, they'd just fall through Emma's face

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(e: nvm, maybe it'll be shown off later)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

paragon1 posted:

People outside of Ashiina are obsessed with not dying too.

Mostly they're unaware of the whole "it mostly doesn't work unless you don't mind becoming a walking infestation in the process" thing, I suspect :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Precambrian posted:

"No, I can figure out a way to do it right—those guys didn't do it scientifically/with pure motivation/with absolute faith/to pursue enlightenment, so I will clearly succeed where everyone else failed."
i hadn't considered that angle. hubris is a son of a bitch

paragon1 posted:

They were right to be.
:kheldragar:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I love the Divine Dragon encounter, especially as a dramatic climax to the arc of preparing for immortal severance. The difficulty of the gameplay is scaled way back, so you can put on a good pair of headphones and sink into the visual and (beautifully-mixed IMO) aural spectacle. Whole thing feels cathartic in a way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Always specifically left arms, too. Dunno if there's any special meaning there, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ThornBrain posted:

One of the hardest bosses, if not just outclassed by the final boss. Looks like good weather for an umbrella.

... wait, your Wolf didn't recognize who DoH was when talking to the NPC afterward? I distinctly remember the conversation going different for me and now I gotta google

(edit) Hey, I remembered something right for once! :toot: There is indeed slightly different dialogue there, if you hit every single eavesdrop between the Sculptor and Emma prior to beating the Divine Dragon.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

azren posted:

I like this interpretation; it helps the player sympathize with Kuro as another possible From Software protagonist, because we know well the burden of "here, let me do something to help make things better! Oh crap, how the gently caress did I make everything worse!?"

huh, no one told me Kuro was a software dev