Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I feel like there are a lot of interesting details about license plates that tell you a lot of different things and there are many reasons why people collect them. Also vanity plates are fun.

Are there any goons that get into understanding all the different stuff about license plates? Any goons collecting? Do you dig vanity plates and take pictures when you see a funny or stupid one? What interesting details have you learned about license plates?

post pics/ share info.. whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
my vanity plate is I'M GAY 69

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm not

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

I had an uber driver once who collected vanity plates and also tried to predict what would be popular and sell on the most valuable ones. He claimed to have made a bunch of money off it but he was also a recent divorcee with the depth and intelligence of a bright fifteen year old and he seemed like a liar to me so who knows.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My Shoes posted:

I feel like there are a lot of interesting details about license plates that tell you a lot of different things and there are many reasons why people collect them. Also vanity plates are fun.

Are there any goons that get into understanding all the different stuff about license plates? Any goons collecting? Do you dig vanity plates and take pictures when you see a funny or stupid one? What interesting details have you learned about license plates?

post pics/ share info.. whatever.

Such as?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I know that if you are familiar with the serial format and coding (and the sequence of letters and numbers and stuff) you can pretty much figure out when a plate was issued. Each state has its own trend which is kinda cool. I think that is all kinda neat.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Learning all the ways to figure out the county of issuance is pretty cool too.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

My Shoes posted:

i think you're confused about what cool means

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My Shoes posted:

It’s printed in letters on the bottom of ours.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we got a regular loving rain man over here

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’ve got a few. I’ll try to post them later.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i have a car with the cool throwback black and yellow vintage California plates OP

thats my entire collection and it owns

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Here's a license plate for ya OP

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Friend of mine works in auto insurance and he always loves bringing up the case he worked with a totaled car whose plates read "FASSST"

:shrug:

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
What a coincidence as I just saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fjZugoJ5yA (skip ahead a few minutes to see just the license plates). Doug has an interesting collection.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Tane posted:

i think you're confused about what cool means

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I was behind a girl once who's license plate was JIZZICA. She looked pretty hot too.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I have a shitload of plates because you don't have to return them in Ohio, so I got em off a bunch of used cars at dealerships. None of them are interesting except the "party plate" I got from an acquaintance when they got their full privelages back after an OVI(DUI).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hello Pick.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Oh poo poo

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Welcome to Bumper Stumpers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qw398rLxsE

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
ye

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
One time back in like 99 or 00 I saw someone had a vanity plate that read "FUKYALL".

Other than that I got nothin, except the obligatory shoutout to rear end orgy

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Northwest territories license plates are shaped like a polar bear.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I saw PNKNU the other day

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think I saw a car with "CEKC069" plates around the town a few times.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

I like when people decorate with them, like they do at Bubba Gump's. Looks kitschy and fun.

I also like vanity plates, my favorite one being "LUV2GRV" on a 9/11 inspired SUV with a picture of the twin towers on the back window, never forget *salutes*.

I hope that your thread gets lots of license plate posts, OP.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
All you need is a power drill, some balls and a mall parking lot.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I used to have my old blue and yellow PA plate hanging on my wall when I was living at home 20 years ago, but I have no idea what happened to it.
That's the only old plate of mine that I don't have hanging on my garage wall.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ArchNemesis posted:

What a coincidence as I just saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fjZugoJ5yA (skip ahead a few minutes to see just the license plates). Doug has an interesting collection.

This guy has a cool collection.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I saw British-style plate on a Mini this morning that said “BAG DEEZ”. I can only assume the rear plate said “NUTZ” :shrug:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

My Shoes posted:

I know that if you are familiar with the serial format and coding (and the sequence of letters and numbers and stuff) you can pretty much figure out when a plate was issued. Each state has its own trend which is kinda cool. I think that is all kinda neat.

Can you tell me where my plates are from? My plate number is rear end 420

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
There's a mustang I've seen around my area with a DAT BOI vanity plate

I hope this is good enough for your thread, OP

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
The dude who works at the computer shop the next town over drives a blue civic with SUNBRO plates.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

My Shoes posted:

Yeah! It's a great party trick to be like "did you get that car last June?" because it confuses the poo poo out of them

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I saw this a while back.

Resisted the urge to slash the tires.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah! It's a great party trick to be like "did you get that car last June?" because it confuses the poo poo out of them

This only works if you know people who buy new cars.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is from way back, but I saw a lady driving a really nice Mercedes with the license plate “was his”

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Old license plates are neat bits of Americana, but I also get a little miffed at how busy and grotesque modern plates have gotten by comparison. All those old plates were just a simple flat color background with five or six characters stamped on them. I wish we could have kept them that clean and minimal instead of cramming obnoxious gradients and landscapes and state slogans and other garbage all over them.

Here's an example from North Dakota, but every single state has gone down this road to some degree:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is from way back, but I saw a lady driving a really nice Mercedes with the license plate “was his”

Please post this to Reddit and report back on the meltdown.