Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Something lightweight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Bluetooth printing is something desirable. Like, something you presumably are willing to pay more to have included.

Can’t figure out why you would want to quickly print off something you’re browsing on your phone instead of emailing it to yourself or something?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Can’t figure out why you would want to quickly print off something you’re browsing on your phone instead of emailing it to yourself or something?

Let me tell you about this newfangled thing called "wifi."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Get a cushy government job and print everything at work, op :coffeepal:

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

slinkimalinki posted:

Do you want one that's easy to carry, op?

Does anyone have the original thread linked... I can't remember the printer goon's name.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I found the text

quote:

A loose female acquaintance of mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this file and lo and behold I can't open it. It's made in Microsoft Publisher and I don't have that program so I begin panicing, trying to find this program or a way to print the file. Scouring the internet yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my printer about 2miles to her house, print out the needed pages, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking HP Deskjet printer. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the printer and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the printing job (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go to the mall.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking printer in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rip printergoon

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Buy the card printer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why is it wrong to want to connect to a printer with bluetooth? My home wifi setup sucks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why is it wrong to want to connect to a printer with bluetooth? My home wifi setup sucks.

It's just weird and you're paying extra for a redundant feature.

It sounds like the extra you would spend on that feature on a printer would be better-served fixing whatever is wrong with your home network.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hardwire the printer it's not going to move.

Also many printers support printing over Wifi too, it's also a dumb gimmick feature since you could just print directly to it if you are on the same wifi

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

if you cant get a document to a printer reliably your setup is all kinds of jank

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
some laser poo poo, probably a brother

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

I have this little Bluetooth cube shaped printer that works with my phone. It only prints using expensive label cartridges but otherwise it’s super convenient and helps me stay organized.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Icochet posted:

Print poo poo at work

Icochet posted:

Print poo poo at work

Icochet posted:

Print poo poo at work

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Icochet posted:

poo poo at work

Icochet posted:

poo poo at work

Icochet posted:

poo poo at work

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

birth school work death

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
Does SHSC not exist anymore?

e: yes they do https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=22

b mad at me fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 14, 2019

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Printers suck, get a plotter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohDaX4uxKY&t=130s

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Rutibex posted:

never buy an inkjet. if you buy inkjet its like you are buying a subscription to Star Citizen

My last inkjet multifunction printer refused to scan crap after one of the colour ink tanks ran dry :catstare:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

My last inkjet multifunction printer refused to scan crap after one of the colour ink tanks ran dry :catstare:

Holy poo poo. The person who came up with that feature got promoted so fast

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
Never print anything

then kill the person next to you

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
nthing a decent brother laser

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Serious answer for graphic and photo printing:

Color Laser: Xerox Phaser. Use to be expensive but now retails at ~$250. The expense with color laser comes from toner, and typically the printers are sold with toner cartridges that only have a very small amount of toner in them, so you'll need to buy color toner cartridges with the printer which adds ~$560. They will last a very long time however. Tabloid size would be better but that adds significantly to the cost, size, and weight of the unit (~170 pounds), and adds a lot of "office" type of features you'll probably never use.

Color Inkjet: Epson Expression. XP-15000 is tabloid sized and is $300. Again, expense comes from ink cartridge replacements and with Epson, all of their specialty papers which makes a huge difference in print quality. Nowadays they're indistinguishable from lab printed photos (which is actually typical for most ~$100 "all-in-ones" you can buy at places like Staples).

For someone like me today's prices floor me. I can remember when these printers themselves were thousands of dollars.

Coming from the late 90's there was an technology called MicroDry, made by a company called Alps (which is still in business). It was similar to laser in that it didn't put wet ink on the paper, but used 4 color "ribbons" that put down dry color. The cool thing about this was there were a LOT of different ribbons, including white backing for printing color images on black paper, metallic colors, and gold and silver foil. It was related but not completely the same as dye sub printers (there were "dye sub" ribbons and paper available). The MicroDry technology has been out of wide scale production for around a decade and a half, but they still made the ribbons in Japan up until 2015, when they discontinued everything.

quote:

The feature yet unsurpassed on MicroDry technology is its ability to print unconventional inks; white, metallic colours and clear (matte or gloss) finish. This feature is especially sought after on modelmaking community for printing decals (which often involve white colour), and also for T-shirt customizing. Neither inkjet nor laser printers can print any other colours than CMYK, as they assume the media is always white. As such, they are not suitable for purposes other than generic home and office printing. MicroDry printers can be used on printing non-white or transparent media, which inkjets or laser printers cannot handle sufficiently well, and they can also handle a variety of media, such as plastic, cardboard or even metals. The second-hand MicroDry printers are much sought after and can be expensive (prices ranging in early 2006 from USD 300 to 700, depending on condition).

Edit - apparently this company still sells refurbished printers and ribbons, and have themselves manufactured dozens of different spot color ribbons. They seem to be primarily marketing to model building markets as "decal printers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUjEuOaI5k

Telebite fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 17, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

But I can buy wide format printers that do metallic and white just fine.

You can also do much the same using ribbon in a label printer like a Zebra 110xi4 if you want. I've only ever loaded black ribbon but ribbon is very much alive in labels.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 17, 2019

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Buy a basic Brother printer and do not entertain anyone with any other brand selection.

Basic Brother B&W printers are installed in zillions of retail chains and are generally not upgraded until the chain steps into a big contract or has weird “enterprise” needs.

Also the toner is reasonably priced for toner.

You may want to step up and get a basic MFP instead. A scanner is handy sometimes!

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 22, 2019

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

gary oldmans diary posted:

if you cant get a document to a printer reliably your setup is all kinds of jank

Or you're using Windows.

Lol on the subject of Wifi printing my fiancee constantly tries to "cloud print" using her HP inkjet, which never works, and then she's like "I can't get this to print can you print it?"

I guess that's a kind of "cloud printing" wherein she emails me the document and I print it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
all of you stop arguing!
if not a specific printer then could someone at least recommend just a good brand of printer for op to buy?

Rutibex posted:

Canon laser printers
alright one guy says canon

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Bobcats posted:

Buy a basic Brother printer and do not entertain anyone with any other brand selection.

Basic Brother B&W printers are installed in zillions of retail chains and are generally not upgraded until the chain steps into a big contract or has weird “enterprise” needs.

Also the toner is reasonably priced for toner.

You may want to step up and get a basic MFP instead. A scanner is handy sometimes!

But does brother make mfps. This is important.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gary oldmans diary posted:

all of you stop arguing!
if not a specific printer then could someone at least recommend just a good brand of printer for op to buy?
alright one guy says canon

He should go with Okidata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Go the opposite way with this whole lightweight carriable nonsense and get a gently caress off huge laser printer that doesn't fit under your desk