Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I should have said playable characters :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
...is ginseng a cop

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Hey turns out they did send me the game I just never got a shipping confirmation. Also didn't know I got a pretty sweet steelbook version and an extra digital copy so that was nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw man, apparently I missed Tungar and I guess you can never get him again if you don't get him during the fortress vimana escape sequence? bummer, I tried to find a way to get back to him but that big ol' door in the wall outside I just straight up didn't see.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

aw man, apparently I missed Tungar and I guess you can never get him again if you don't get him during the fortress vimana escape sequence? bummer, I tried to find a way to get back to him but that big ol' door in the wall outside I just straight up didn't see.

Apparently he's in Tai Krung if you miss him in the fortress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh cool, I only just got to the port town so I thought he was gone forever, especially considering the explosion of the fortress, figured it was a save the animals at the end of super metroid type deal. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm in the end game. Just did all 3 revisits and Anja said it's time to go back to Lahn but I can't sail there and the portal gate thing is blocked off. Can I get a hint on how to actually get there that I might be forgetting?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm in the end game. Just did all 3 revisits and Anja said it's time to go back to Lahn but I can't sail there and the portal gate thing is blocked off. Can I get a hint on how to actually get there that I might be forgetting?

Blocked off as in you can't warp there, or blocked off as in the room you warp to is sealed off? Because if the latter, one side of the room has a green ceiling

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Finished the game recently. It owns.
A couple of platforming sections could've used more checkpoints, a couple of mechanics could've used a tutorial and the second half of the game is a bit too easy but other than that, a great game.

Also Ramzi is the best girl and that's the objective fact.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hoo boy the backer designs in the port town

there's plenty of them that are like "this fits reasonably well in this game world" and then you've got steampunk furry toymaker guy or m'lady maximus or the mermaid(?) thing that are just...they definitely feel like the creators were just "gently caress the aesthetic of this world, I'm gonna be ME!" with their designs

I did like that someone backed at the port town character tier and instead of putting in a guy in a top hat and monocle or something, decided to put Vinny Caravella from Giant Bomb in. the backer asked for help in designing a suitable rendition of the giant bomb crew that fits in the game well enough and an artist came along and designed the version that wound up in the game as well as a bunch of other possible ideas, but Vinny was the one they went with:

https://kriss-essem.tumblr.com/post/180253404282/one-of-the-contributor-tiers-for-the

in the upper left:

it's cute. I like that his necklace is made of tiny bombs with faces on them, and that they managed to fit him into one of his trademark black t-shirts without being too obvious. Also turning his gradual balding bit of hair on the top of his head into a japanese topknot :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Anyone else having quest markers not show up?

Archenteron posted:

Blocked off as in you can't warp there, or blocked off as in the room you warp to is sealed off? Because if the latter, one side of the room has a green ceiling

I went up through that and completely forgot about the teleport ability and didn't finish a bunch of npc quests until waaay later. :downs: How do I get through the spike balls right after?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Anyone else having quest markers not show up?

I went up through that and completely forgot about the teleport ability and didn't finish a bunch of npc quests until waaay later. :downs: How do I get through the spike balls right after?

Just hit them with your axe

And yeah I ended up looking up a video to see the teleport move in use and was just kind of "oh that's a thing". Seriously you just learn it in the middle of a boss fight with less than 0 fanfare and I think escaping the ruins is the only other time it's ever used ever.

That said got my plat trophy and beat it. Game is a buggy mess with some confusing platforming elements where I just wound up damage tanking (never found out what to do with the big spikey balls in the final dungeon, would just tank a hit, land on them and then hurry off with my refreshed jumps) to get through. Lot of useless characters and honestly I hated the art style outside of Persona's stuff. Not because they're horrible but these simple flash drawn characters standing next to Personas unique style just looks off. Special shout out to Mara who looks disgusting and not just because the design is supposed to be gross.

I think there are a metric ton of problems and there should of been way more testing but I'm hopeful MikeZ sticks with his plans to update the game and revamp stuff. I leaned more to the "I like it" side of things, but I'm pretty easy to please.

Also I think the first fight with Ravannavar is the only fight in the game that has a enemy with a attack you have to perfect block. And I think there's only 2 things in the game that can grab you.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just hit them with your axe

I tried doing that Asura punch combo on them, didn't think the solution was to face dive into them, but oh well! At least now my soul has a reserved spot in Razmi's lantern.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, just finished the game. Two Ringsels short of platinum, oh well.

I think the big problem is that the combat system just... never really goes anywhere. Sure, you've got all these characters you can swap in and out, with their own movesets of varying depths (Looking at you, H&Z with your single move), but it never feels like combats get deeper. As was pointed out before, there's only like one attack that has to be perfect blocked, and like... two enemy types that have a grab? The Ravannavar fights are probably the best fights in the game, and they're very early in the scope of the game.

The enemy depth that does get introduced is... just kind of annoying, honestly, because so much of it is defensive gimmicks that just make various characters bad. Oh, these enemies absorb magic (sorry Razmi!), these reflect a giant chunk of damage on melee attackers (sorry, giant chunk of the cast!), these have to be juggled (Sorry, Baozhai!), and on and on. All it works out to is making combats take longer because one or more of your people can't really do anything.

This one's just for me as a completionist who did everyone's sidequests, but dear god do they ever kill the pacing of the back part of the game. There's so, so much time spent running around levels that you've been through a bunch of times before. Zebei and Kushi's has you go to Lhan, go to Tai Krung to try and find a random NPC, go deep into Lhan to find a specific enemy, go back to the NPC, and then go back to Lhan again! That's so much backtracking! And you've got 20 characters worth of backtracking to do! Even if you try and combine trips, it's still going to take you forever!. And then... the rewards honestly aren't noticeable? A giant boost in your affinity for them, but good luck figuring out what that even does, or tracking any numbers in this game. It should really all be like Latigo getting his sixth bullet--a mechanical difference that you can feel. I get that that's a lot of work, but... well, I dunno. As it is, it's not worth murdering the pacing over.

Also, regarding the last boss Having the final sequence of the game be a long perfect defense exhibition is kind of miserable--especially when you end it with an attack that just straight murders you if you don't get the parry off, and leaves you to do the entire sequence over again.

I think the game is at its absolute strongest from the beginning up through Port Maerifa. After that is when the cracks start to show. Maybe I was just expecting the wrong kind of game--and I still did enjoy Indivisible on the whole--but I can't help but feel kind of disappointed right now.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, regarding the last boss Having the final sequence of the game be a long perfect defense exhibition is kind of miserable--especially when you end it with an attack that just straight murders you if you don't get the parry off, and leaves you to do the entire sequence over again.

For this one, you can sort of fudge it as long as you block the initial hit and then try to go for perfect blocks because otherwise you can't even guard when getting hit and then you lose. Honestly, the part just before this was more annoying first time through because the orb attacks can just sometimes not let you block at all if they come at you from directly above or below.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had seen screenshots of Naga rider but I had not seen him animated, and I am absolutely loving that he literally cannot stop posing in every scene he's been in

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

this game's pretty good

very flawed but im not regretting the $35

it starts strong and peters way the gently caress out by the third act where the cool level design and the boss music wear themselves out when you have to go through every zone ten umpteen times but your later platforming abilities completely neuter the puzzles which helps (but at least let me port to any save point i want pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease)

also ive had to reload a save more than once because something completely broke like the loving 0 xp tanks bugging out mid-transform leaving me stuck in defense mode and unable to finish the fight

the characters are all charming as hell (leilani's shark-tooth buzzsaw is amazing) and apart from a few fights you can just bring whoever you want which goes really far when you have a giant cast

was good for one playthrough but probably not picking it up again for a long time unless there are content updates

The Lord of Hats posted:

The enemy depth that does get introduced is... just kind of annoying, honestly, because so much of it is defensive gimmicks that just make various characters bad. Oh, these enemies absorb magic (sorry Razmi!), these reflect a giant chunk of damage on melee attackers (sorry, giant chunk of the cast!), these have to be juggled (Sorry, Baozhai!), and on and on. All it works out to is making combats take longer because one or more of your people can't really do anything.

razmi's special fight was "extra" bad for me because i brought thorani too but combat in act three is so trivial ajna and kushi ended the fight in seconds all by themselves

that bird is awesome

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Captain Invictus posted:

hoo boy the backer designs in the port town

there's plenty of them that are like "this fits reasonably well in this game world" and then you've got steampunk furry toymaker guy or m'lady maximus or the mermaid(?) thing that are just...they definitely feel like the creators were just "gently caress the aesthetic of this world, I'm gonna be ME!" with their designs

Yeah many of them are so god drat loving bad. Oh boy here's some guy with furry fox ears and a loving anime T-shirt. It's about as bad if not worse than the backers at Lefty's bar in the Kickstarter Larry game.

And also wow at those Giant Bomb drawings. Ryan's sombrero gimmick from those GOTY videos would've been amazing :allears:

E: question: how the hell do I change targets in combat? I missed it the first time when it was tutorialized and can't find it in the controls.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Der Shovel posted:

E: question: how the hell do I change targets in combat? I missed it the first time when it was tutorialized and can't find it in the controls.

Left and right on the d-pad during a neutral phase (i.e. when neither you nor the enemy are attacking)

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ok i actually finished the game and as much as i dont want to do the final boss again i also want the epilogue shot as wallpaper and can't find it anywhere because i'm bad at the internet so I might have to :cry:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
For the record, you're supposed to shoot those big spike balls in platforming sections with the Nature Arrow to make them safe to stand on

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 21, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tarezax posted:

For the record, you're supposed to shoot those big spike balls in platforming sections with the Nature Arrow to make them safe to stand on

Oh weird, I did and a flower would bloom and vanish as if it wasn't a viable surface.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh weird, I did and a flower would bloom and vanish as if it wasn't a viable surface.

it seems to only work from the side? Haven't tried from below. But it definitely worked on them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tarezax posted:

No you're supposed to use your up special or side special on them which refreshes your air moves and allows you to do another up/side special through another ball and chain them together.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
That can also suck if you're not careful since it only refreshes the specific special you used to crash into it along with your air dash. As in, you used up, then side, then hit the ball, you only get the air dash and the side special back and not the up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, you just straight up ice tzitzi after beating the serpent queen, huh? that felt...odd. like an afterthought. she shows up, yells at you, you fight, she dies. that's it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, you just straight up ice tzitzi after beating the serpent queen, huh? that felt...odd. like an afterthought. she shows up, yells at you, you fight, she dies. that's it?

Keep playing the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jack Trades posted:

Keep playing the game.
Yeah I suppose, just that they did that thing generic enemies do where they disintegrate upon defeat, is all. Seemed off. Well, alrighty.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I suppose, just that they did that thing generic enemies do where they disintegrate upon defeat, is all. Seemed off. Well, alrighty.

There are definitely cut corners around the second half of the game and the part that you mentioned is definitely extremely barebones but there's some sort of resolution for it later on.

I had the same thoughts as you when I got there though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a gross belly laugh from it.

Anja is here trying to save everyone in her own stupid Anja way when she runs up screaming and crying about being scorned because of her. Anja then loving murders her, hops on a boat and is like "wow I'm glad everyone is happy and satisfied :)", like jesus christ girl what are you doing???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hahaha, yeah, I laughed at it because it was so absurd and out of place.

and, well, I guess I now understand why this one comment in twitch chat on someone's stream of indivisible was "don't bother using ____Dhar____, it's a waste". :v:

nice to see that the intro wasn't the only thing trigger animated. I have a feeling that the post-Kala fight trigger anime cutscene was specifically animated by none other by Yoh Yoshinari himself, it feels like his style

this game is a lot longer than I thought it would be, I guess. Definitely scarred by countless point of no return JRPGs so I held off on going to Lhan for a lot longer than I probably should have, going around and collecting pretty much every ringsel and incarnation I could find before going there, to the point that I had max strength upgrades and 2 defense upgrades by the time I finished mount sumeru the second time

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 21, 2019

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ajna has powerful Furious Dumbass energy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Archenteron posted:

Ajna has powerful Furious Dumbass energy.

I just finished the game last night and this was my exact thought too. She's a fun character but hoo boy I wasn't expecting to actually get mad at her a couple times. I'm glad the story actually goes somewhere with that though!

The backer tier NPCs in towns were almost all completely terrible.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Just finished, easy platinum. Platforming toward the end got a little infuriating though. Glad there's actually a surplus of ringsels so I didn't have to do much backtracking to max out my stats. Kampan is easily the strongest party member and everyone should use her. I wrapped up using her, Naga Rider, and Razmi. Glad the perfect blocks in the game are pretty easy so I didn't have to tow a healer around all the time. Final note: Every DeviantArt OC in this game sucks and is lame. Don't give flavor text to pointless NPCs that aren't even part of the story, thanks.

Edit: also gently caress unskippable credits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the deviantart OCs are cool

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, started using Leilani and she just murders absolutely everything without effort at all and barely requires input from the rest of the crew

just Spin To Win, with 5 action points she's killing almost everything herself, barring stuff with their guard up or in the air I guess, but you just gotta stagger them to open them up to the meat grinder whirlwind. (Edit: okay, maybe that was just the first few guys I encountered, but still, she cracks off a full third of everything's health past those early ones with her spin all at once)

Before the second trip to mount sumeru, the max amount of party members you can find is 12, right? If not, who else could I have gotten beforehand?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 22, 2019

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Edit: Oh wait, I completely misread that. Uh, 12 sounds about right, I think. What's your current list?

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 22, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really hate the DA OC's because they talk in meme speak half the time or they allude to in-jokes or references only they'll get which is super lame. I listened to all of them and it's mostly "I was cursed by a wizard too and now I'm on a journey. I'm the same as you Anja." (I doubt it)

"Have you seen... *that man*.... with the *skull mask*??? I must find him, he burned down my village........"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Bystander posted:

Edit: Oh wait, I completely misread that. Uh, 12 sounds about right, I think. What's your current list?
well, that was Dhar, Razmi, Ginseng, Leilani, Latigo, Phoebe, Ajna, Tungar, Zebei, Hunoch, Kushi, and Lanshi. I just got Naga Rider.

I also...just clipped through the world while trying to do a corkscrew doublejump through a hole after getting the above fella. I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be here considering Ajna looks like a stick figure puppet in the silhouette. Or maybe that's how her silhouette normally looks but it just looks off due to being in a weird place.

edit: uh huh, thought so.

welp, guess I'll reload.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Yeah it happened to me a couple times. You can definitely move to other maps faster than the game can load sometimes, and there's no failsafes to prevent you from proceeding.