Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Surely many of us here engage in hobbies that many find difficult to relate to. Everyone is familiar with the idea of people collecting and restoring vintage cars, but less so for washing machines. An eclectic hobby is one thing, but when the hobby demands time and money, and is difficult to relate to, we can only attribute continued interest to a parasitic brain infection.

What's your worm brain hobby? How do you justify it to yourself and loved ones?

List of :krad: stuff:
JERKY NOZZLIN'
ANT FARMIN'
MODEL PLANIN'
SAMPLIN'
POCKET MONSTERIN'
ARCHERIN'
GEOLPGIN'
ASIAN COOKIN'
VOICE ACTOR META-ABSORPTION
CAR TIKERIN'
PINBALLIN'
CARPENTRIN'
COASTIN'
GLASS BLOWIN'
TRASHCRAFTIN'
MEDICAL DEVICE DESIGNIN'
LEGO BUILDIN'
BOARD GAME CREATIN'
OLD APPLE COMPUTERIN'
ARCADE GABBIN'

-----------------------

One of mine is Japanese arcade games.

It's comparable to the classic car hobby, but on a smaller scale. Maybe it's a bit relatable, because it's fun to play on a really nice comfortable machine with cool games, but less so when you look at how expensive some things are. Why buy Battle Garegga on PS4 for $60 when I can get the original hardware for only $900? It used to be that the cabinets were the expensive bits, and the games were cheap, but these adys, the games have shot up in value, leaving the cabinets as the cheaper component.

My justification is that I've actually gained a lot of miscellaneous skills through this, but more importantly, it's fun, and there's a medium-sized community around it formed out of relatively well-adjusted friendly individuals. It got me really into PCB repair, which is great, because I'll usually buy those pricy games in broken condition, and fix them myself, as the cheap ticket option. Plus, if I change my mind, it's really easy to sell off something purchased earlier, as the value is relatively stable or rising.

There's no nostalgia to this - I was born too late to grow up with these games, and the majority I only discovered in the last few years or so. It's been fun to try new genres of games, and get good at them, and meet a supportive community of people through it.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I've won pinball tournaments

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I dabble in masturbation

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Suckin 1 dick from every country or atleast 1 guy named Richard from each country

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I make lots and lots of beef jerky and am trying to make my own recipes. It's really good but nobody ever wants to eat it when I offer because the world is cruel and I am worm.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I drink and then lay in bed and sometimes cry

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And not just sobbing, but ugly crying. It's really bad.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
want some jerky dude

MavisBeacon
Nov 27, 2018
Always loved the look and feel of the Astro City cabs. So robust and polished.

By the way, is that DoDonpachi I spot? If I had the space I'd probably get a bunch of CAVE shooters.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Wait, what's the jerky made of?

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
I play snooker

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I keep ants. 2 colonies with queens and 1 without, will probably go hunting for another queen in springtime for a 4th.

Ants are neat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Putty posted:

want some jerky dude

Is it teriyaki?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Wait, what's the jerky made of?

Ground beef. I also use eye round sometimes but it's typically harder to make since I don't have a slicer and my butcher doesn't either somehow.

Who What Now posted:

Is it teriyaki?

No I like to use garlic powder or make chilli lime.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

MavisBeacon posted:

Always loved the look and feel of the Astro City cabs. So robust and polished.

By the way, is that DoDonpachi I spot? If I had the space I'd probably get a bunch of CAVE shooters.

Yep that's DoDonPachi. Astros are top cabs; the Egret II is kind of neat but it's definitely a step below the Astro in a number of ways.

Tom Gorman posted:

I keep ants. 2 colonies with queens and 1 without, will probably go hunting for another queen in springtime for a 4th.

Ants are neat.

Is the queenless colony a decision you made, or did the queen die?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

Ants are neat.

I didn't know a colony could get along without a queen. Do they do some kind of temporary election thing or do they all just tend to their own duties and hope a new queen shows up before things go to hell or what? How do you get an established colony to accept a new queen?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Hatsune Mike posted:

Yep that's DoDonPachi. Astros are top cabs; the Egret II is kind of neat but it's definitely a step below the Astro in a number of ways.

Is the queenless colony a decision you made, or did the queen die?

Their queen died, so they're kind of just semi-mindlessly living out their ant lives. It's effectively a dead colony but they've still got a while.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I didn't know a colony could get along without a queen. Do they do some kind of temporary election thing or do they all just tend to their own duties and hope a new queen shows up before things go to hell or what? How do you get an established colony to accept a new queen?

Some species don't have queens. The reproducing females in those species are called, I poo poo you not, gamergates.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
drinking at sports bars and hootin' n hollerin' for the opposing team

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Resting Lich Face posted:

Some species don't have queens. The reproducing females in those species are called, I poo poo you not, gamergates.

Poor little gently caress ants, at least they'll never know what they're associated with. And I've learned something today, thank you thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Putty posted:

Ground beef. I also use eye round sometimes but it's typically harder to make since I don't have a slicer and my butcher doesn't either somehow.

No I like to use garlic powder or make chilli lime.

How do you make jerky out of ground beef? I assumed you had to use meat strips.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Yeah, I was thinking that too, I thought you would beat the meat flat

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I build model airplanes

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

Good Ol Filbert posted:

sounds painful

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Good Ol Filbert posted:

That, or you cvan use this funny gun.

It's just a caulking gun but foodsafe. Mix what you want into ground beef then dehydrate it. Be sure to dehydrate to a safe internal temperature cause ground beef is more prone to pathogens than say a steak. Keep it in your fridge and/or use curing salt in your mix for shelf life.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I collect samples, when I hear an interesting song I find the original it was sampled from, it's pretty trivial to do these days

My latest are Cypress Hill- When the poo poo goes down/Outlaw Blues Band - Deep Gully and Ariana Grande-The Way/Brenda Russell-A little bit of love.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Love to collect SFX too. Have you uploaded your collection online?

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Pickwick High posted:

sounds painful

Lol

Putty posted:

That, or you cvan use this funny gun.

It's just a caulking gun but foodsafe. Mix what you want into ground beef then dehydrate it. Be sure to dehydrate to a safe internal temperature cause ground beef is more prone to pathogens than say a steak. Keep it in your fridge and/or use curing salt in your mix for shelf life.

...and people refuse this stuff, huh?

(Jk sounds good! I would try it)

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

time to get one of these and start making my own slim jims

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Narrator: and that's how it started, Putty introduced the masses to the jerking gun and everybody stepped into a Slim Jim.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Tom Gorman posted:

time to get one of these and start making my own slim jims

There's a second nozzle that is small and round for that exact purpose.

Here the gun:

https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-555-Jerky-Gun/dp/B002L80J78

I don't see the dehydrator for sale anywhere but I don't recommend it. The racks are incredibly hard to clean (I don't have a dishwasher) and I'm looking to get a newer higher-end one eventually.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Now hold on just a minute are you telling me I could make all the slim jims I want with this contraption

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've been told my chili lime recipe tastes exactly like a slim jim.

e: this is a bad thing

Putty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 14, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Devils Affricate posted:

Now hold on just a minute are you telling me I could make all the slim jims I want with this contraption

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Resting Lich Face posted:

Huh. You actually weren't making GBS threads.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sweet thursday posted:

I've won pinball tournaments

Whoa what’s your favorite pinball machine?

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
i collect pokemon cards, i buy them, open 'em, and then order them in some binders, i play with them sometimes too, my parents bought me packs when i was young (and dumb), and now that i have disposable income i just said "gently caress it, let's make 6 year old me very happy"

i started with american boosters but newer card sets are huge (there's a 250+ set that came out like a month ago) and i decided it was easier and cheaper to import japanese booster boxes, and started collecting those instead, as an added plus the cards feel better and i haven't seen any miscuts ore stuff like that, and the super rare cards don't feel like cheese graters

so yeah i buy and collect shiny cardboard

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
loving ur mom op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Putty posted:

I make lots and lots of beef jerky and am trying to make my own recipes. It's really good but nobody ever wants to eat it when I offer because the world is cruel and I am worm.

don't red meat + nitrates give you rear end cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I got into archery last year and now I'm about half a grand deep and with an indoor range subscription. Fun hobby, probably going to be buying another, stronger, bow once I can allow the expense.