Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Needs a flared base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Needs a flared base

Don't be a pussy

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lmao

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
It's pinball. Went from not playing to owning 3 machines in a little over a year

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My son made this in his glass blowing class, your son seems untalented.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

manpurse posted:

It's pinball. Went from not playing to owning 3 machines in a little over a year

Like 3 pinball goons in this thread. There should be a megathread somewhere it'd be interesting (is there already one?).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s a pinball thread in games. I’ve been wanting one for a while but good ones are pricey and I keep spending my money on other stuff.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I like to scavenge trash and make fancy old-fashioned furniture and stuff out of it, like not "I upcycled an old toilet into a planter by painting it blue, here is my Pinterest" stuff but like pulling some steel bars off a busted storm drain and forging them into hardware for a murphy bed. IDK it's like half about the process of learning to transform whatever's lying around into whatever the hell I want, half about wanting to try different techniques without any kind of a materials budget. Also lol if someone ends up paying real money for something made of poo poo I fished out of a dumpster. Here's a marquetry table top I'm working on right now made out of some wormy cherry and some sycamore logs I stole when a neighbor's tree fell down. That seam line is pissing me off and I'm debating whether I wanna bother go back and hide it or just not gently caress it up to begin with next time

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 16, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I like to scavenge trash and make fancy old-fashioned furniture and stuff out of it, like not "I upcycled an old toilet into a planter by painting it blue, here is my Pinterest" stuff but like pulling some steel bars off a busted storm drain and forging them into hardware for a murphy bed. IDK it's like half about the process of learning to transform whatever's lying around into whatever the hell I want, half about wanting to try different techniques without any kind of a materials budget. Also lol if someone ends up buying something made of poo poo I fished out of a dumpster. Here's a marquetry table top I'm working on right now made out of some wormy cherry and some sycamore logs I stole when a neighbor's tree fell down. That seam line is pissing me off and I'm debating whether I wanna bother go back and hide it or just not gently caress it up to begin with next time

The seam line is the big obvious thing in the middle, right? As opposed to the small bit near the inlays.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the small bit near the inlays, I kinda added that part as an afterthought after I'd already sanded down all the edges so there's a big visible groove there. The big obvious thing in the middle is there to cover up all the termite holes!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the small bit near the inlays, I kinda added that part as an afterthought after I'd already sanded down all the edges so there's a big visible groove there. The big obvious thing in the middle is there to cover up all the termite holes!

Ah. The bit near the inlays is hardly noticeable. It's there, obviously, but it's not a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nice work by the way; those inlays are well done.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm keeping a black widow spider as a pet until it gets big and I can cast it in acrylic resin like that Damien Hirst rear end in a top hat.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Thanks! I figured out how to just print that poo poo out on a laser cutter at a makerspace downtown so now I'm gonna be sticking them all over everything

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Rad-daddio posted:

Have you tried Protolabs or Solid Concepts? I don't know your location, but there are tons of places that do it on an industrial scale and a lot of them are looking for people.

There's even a giant move towards printing metal surgical implants right now, so you should be able to find a spot as that becomes more mainstream.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm located in NJ right now. Lots of stuff in Brooklyn though. It's been more fruitful to contact companies directly than even try to figure out what a posting would look like lol.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

MustardFacial posted:

I do sim racing. I'm very bad at it.

I also do this. I'm.... ok. Not great, but I do win on occasion.
Mostly iRacing and mostly oval stock car stuff, but I do dabble in dirt. I've been meaning to fire up Dirt Rally again and try it out with some of my more recent equipment upgrades.
Mostly I race in leagues, but I usually do a few public official races a week.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Putty posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm located in NJ right now. Lots of stuff in Brooklyn though. It's been more fruitful to contact companies directly than even try to figure out what a posting would look like lol.

No problem!

My own brain worm hobby is designing medical devices and stuff. As such, my company uses a few different services for getting metal parts printed. We've had surgical instruments printed out of 17-4 stainless steel, as well as a host of other sintered metals.

If you're not on LinkedIn, that might be a good place to start building up connections with places that are local to you. Most of them are happy to give tours and stuff, and in spite of the hype that was foisted on the industry a few years back it's a very dynamic growth industry.

Related: Here's some pics of stuff that I've designed and had printed out of metal and other various materials.

Here's a knee implant that I designed ten years ago. This was on my home machine tho

This is a locking pivot system that was printed with sintered metal from Shapeways.

This one is printed with a hybrid aluminum/nylon material. It was used to make a
functional mock up for a medical device client.

This is a patellar clamp that was made with DMLS stainless steel from Shapeways.
I designed the holes to be undersized so I could do the needed finish machining and fitting.
Fun fact: the guy who requested this part left it at a convention and I had to make another one :(

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I cruise the clearance aisle at Walmart for Lego sets on sale. After Christmas, and middle of summer, they seem to dump anything that is getting "old" or maybe just didn't sell in the last half year. You'll find them for half price or less

I got a cool red dragon "Ninjago" model, over 800 pieces for about $40, also the space shuttle Tiberium (Tiderium? I don't know) from Star Wars, same number of pieces for about half price.

I spread the kit out on the coffee table in the winter and work on putting it together over a week or so sitting in front of the TV in the evening. 800 lego pieces can take a good 8 hours or more to put together if you're not in a rush, so its fun and relaxing. And I got a couple cool models sitting on a shelf now.

Also do the archery and woodworking thing. That is some nice inlay posted above. The archery is a meditative/zen thing. Got a range where I can shoot across a creek, down in the trees/shade where it is cool in the mid-summer. Great way to unwind for a half hour or so.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rad-daddio posted:

No problem!

My own brain worm hobby is designing medical devices and stuff. As such, my company uses a few different services for getting metal parts printed. We've had surgical instruments printed out of 17-4 stainless steel, as well as a host of other sintered metals.

If you're not on LinkedIn, that might be a good place to start building up connections with places that are local to you. Most of them are happy to give tours and stuff, and in spite of the hype that was foisted on the industry a few years back it's a very dynamic growth industry.

Related: Here's some pics of stuff that I've designed and had printed out of metal and other various materials.

Here's a knee implant that I designed ten years ago. This was on my home machine tho

This is a locking pivot system that was printed with sintered metal from Shapeways.

This one is printed with a hybrid aluminum/nylon material. It was used to make a
functional mock up for a medical device client.

This is a patellar clamp that was made with DMLS stainless steel from Shapeways.
I designed the holes to be undersized so I could do the needed finish machining and fitting.
Fun fact: the guy who requested this part left it at a convention and I had to make another one :(

Please explain how you 3D print sintered metal. I was under the impression that the sintering process required a lot of pressure and heat. So like, how do you do that with an additive manufacturing process?

I'm not trying to dunk on you, I'm genuinely curious.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Internetjack posted:

I cruise the clearance aisle at Walmart for Lego sets on sale. After Christmas, and middle of summer, they seem to dump anything that is getting "old" or maybe just didn't sell in the last half year. You'll find them for half price or less
so.

It's a shame they cracked down on Lepin, Lego is such a scam.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Please explain how you 3D print sintered metal. I was under the impression that the sintering process required a lot of pressure and heat. So like, how do you do that with an additive manufacturing process?

selective laser sintering has been a pretty accessible process (in the sense that there's a lot of shops you can order out from, the machines themselves still cost as much as a house) for like five years now. It's not particularly pressure-sensitive but you need an argon chamber.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

MustardFacial posted:

lol no worries.

I just order the stuff, so I'm not an industry expert either. Home 3D printing of metal is a few years off.

The DMLS stuff is laser sintered and is a "green" part when it comes out of the machine. It's then cured in an oven to give it it's full strength. This is also how parts are made from powdered nylon and PEEK as well. The latter being a medical implant material that's also what Lowtax probably had implanted in his robo spine. Although his implant might've been sintered titanium. It depends on the surgeon and whoever they use for implants.

There's also laser melted and electron beam melted parts, which AFIK are finished right out of the machine minus some hand work to remove fixturing features that stabilize the part during the additive process. This is also a good way to print parts out of titanium, and other exotic metals where you'd need an actual full bond between all of the build material.

It does require a lot of pressure and heat, and the metal additive manufacturing machines use an inert gas(I think nitrogen or argon) in the build chamber to facilitate melting/sintering. Industrial DMLS machines start at about 500k and go up from there. The entire process is expensive, but it's surprisingly accessible to the average Joe now. For instance, my nephew broke a small cast part on his airsoft gun, and I was able to reverse engineer it and make a few changes to make it stronger. I had it printed via Shapeways out of their stainless steel for about 20 bucks delivered.

We're currently working with an overseas company that has the ability to print modeled porous structures for promoting bone ingrowth. They use a proprietary software to generate the geometric structures via algorithm. There's no way it'll be allowed by the FDA within the next decade, but it'll be a huge benefit to patients when the tech goes mainstream. Imagine having a custom printed joint replacement based on your CT scan, that can be implanted in an out patient setting an also has a custom bone promoting surface on the back that ensures your bone will be able to remodel into it. Oddly enough, it'll also be less expensive BC it'll bypass a lot of the steps and inventory needed to do current joint replacements.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i like to make my own board games out of cereal boxes

Rutibex posted:

Ok someone help me I think I have fallen down a very deep rabbit hole. It began the other day when I was checking out the Value Village board game section. Normally its a bunch of crap, but occasionally you find a real gem. That fateful day I found the gem of gems, Star Trek Battles Volume 3 :haw:

I'm not usually one for hex war-games, but Star Fleet Battles scratched an itch I didn't know I had. I always loved the Star Trek Technical Manuals, and reading through these rule books really gave me the same feeling. But all I had was "Volume 3", and that was the second expansion to the game. I didn't have a playable game! I looked to the internet, and lucky for me the company responsible for Star Fleet Battles still exists and publishes books. They have also put most of their material up on Drive-through RPG so I bought "Volume 1&2" to complete my collection:

I put everything into a big binder. I also scanned my copy of Volume 3 and printed an extra to put into the binder (so its all together as one big rule book and I don't have to fish out the old box for reference). Its about 300 pages total, easily the biggest rule book of any game I own. And that's almost 95% text, the illustration in these book is spare. But once I had this monstrosity assembled I became a bit intimidated. So to teach myself the game I decided to buy and print a copy of the Cadet Training Handbook. This book has a great set of tutorials and solo missions that have been teaching me the game. The solo missions are great, as no one I talk to has had even 1% interest in playing this with me:

But of course the set I bought only came with so many counters, so I am forced to make my own out of cereal boxes :v: I also got one of those big roll out Hex maps from the local game store:

But these scenarios are pretty basic, and they don't say much about advanced tactics. In fact these books are mostly rules. Star Fleet Battles seems (to me at least) to be a fairly dead game, and I can not find a very active community to teach me advanced tactics. So of course I had to buy and print a copy of the SFB: Tactics Manual. This way I can teach advanced tactics to anyone I manage to rope into playing with me!

There are a lot of other supplements and stuff for SF: Battles (and I'm sure I'll get around to buying those eventually, especially Omega Master Book :eyepop:) but looking through Task Force Games products I noticed one additional rule book that I could not live without. Federation and Empire is a strategic level 4X game that uses the units from StarFleet Battles 1:1! This means you can (and are encouraged to) use Federation and Empire as a "campaign mode" and resolve all of the battles using the rules of Starfleet Battles (instead of the included simplified battle system):

There are other books I want to get, but I think I am satiated for now. Like maybe the 450 page Omega Sector supplement with 12 additional races and more than a dozen new weapons systems. Or the ground combat system that can be used for planetary battles. This is such a cool system I can't believe I never heard of it before!

quote:

In other news I finished my Potato famine Agricola-like and it was very well received! Became the toast of the graduate student lounge for a week or so Anyway I put together a P&P package so anyone can make their own "Dollar Store Agricola" aka Feirmeoir

Feirmeoir P&P
https://www.mediafire.com/?hk9h1snqep8sshd

quote:

DUNE
Board game recycling! Today I was at the thrift store (I check back there every week once I found a mint copy of Ticket to Ride for $5) and I come across this sad Trivial Pursuit. It has been here for as long as I remember. No one cares about it; it is cheap as dirt and no one will buy it This is fair of course as Trivial Pursuit is a terrible game and definitely not worth playing. Maybe I can use the trivia cards in a much better game? I will give it a home.

I get it home and find the components are actually pretty nice. A high quality 4-fold game board and a bunch of heavy cards. This circle really reminds me of......I know this things purpose now!

Trivial Pursuit, you can now be loved

quote:

Chess

I made this one out of fired clay. I had been playing a lot of chess so I wanted to have a hand made set. It turned out pretty well though I gave it away as a christmas gift. I got the board from a thrift shop, it fits all the pieces in its compartment very snugly.

Archenemy Magic decks

I wanted to get back into Magic but found collecting random card unappealing (and so did my friends). So instead of the normal game I designed these 13 decks in Magic Forge using every card in existence (lots of power 9 and broken stuff) and making sure to balance them against each other in a rock/paper/scissors kind of way. They are designed to be really swingy and played in big multiplayer games. Every proxy is backed with a legit magic card purchased brand new from a local gaming store. I shed a single tear for the secondary market whenever we play.

Colossal GO

I have yet to get anyone to play this with me, come on it's only a 25x27 grid!

Generic Piece Pack

This is a set of generic tiles/hexes/tokens that can be mapped to a huge variety of board games. The tiles are made from disassembled children's story books and the hexes are made with card stock. The chits are made from foam board. There is a grid on the backs of the hexes/tiles for even more games.

Non-transitive Grimes Dice

This is a set of dice that have a peculiar rock/paper/scissors property to them. I've been trying to think of a way to fit them into some kind of game they are just such a neat concept;
http://singingbanana.com/dice/article.htm#GD

Rainbow Deck

This a a gigantic deck of generic cards for lots of differant games

Rutibex posted:

I used a couple kinds boxes. I cannibalized an old Stratego set for Tai Shogi, and I used the pieces of an old Risk set as the Strength/Craft counters for this Talisman set. I had the old boxes lying around so I used them as the backing for the Talisman Boards (and one cereal box, I think?). All of the cards are just magic cards with slips of paper in them, and the rule book is in one of those folders kids use for school reports:

Rutibex posted:

Ok if you insist, its a bit of a pain I just put the dang thing away! All of the decks are custom made by me. unlike normal Talisman there is a deck for the outer realm, inner realm, planescape, and dungeon. I picked through adventure cards from all Talisman sets and only included the really cool ones. I included every character class from every published expansion (about 60 total) as well as about 100 spells:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am a computer hoarder specializing in apple garbage OP

It's a small wonder I haven't caught my house on fire yet

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
OP, question. Is half the fun owning legitimate arcade cabinets, or just having the games? Cause you can always buy a cabinet, and just emulate whatever you want.

Not trying to poke holes in your sails, just curious to see how you view your collecting and what liberties with it you think are acceptable to make.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

OP, question. Is half the fun owning legitimate arcade cabinets, or just having the games? Cause you can always buy a cabinet, and just emulate whatever you want.

Not trying to poke holes in your sails, just curious to see how you view your collecting and what liberties with it you think are acceptable to make.

Sorry, get ready for :words: the worm has dug quite deep.

Just a small pretext about cabinet vs game ownership - since the early '90s, Japanese arcades moved to primarily having generic cabinets that accept standards-compliant game hardware ("JAMMA PCBs / Boards"), with extra art sets applied to the cabinet in a way that can be removed relatively easily. This is in contrast to the dirty and lovely American way of having operators hastily paint over a nice dedicated machine, drill some new holes in the panel, and toss a fucken Capcom Bowling PCB into a Pac-Man cabinet.

As for the draw of the experience, it's the whole thing together - finding new games, playing beloved ones, meeting friends, sharing games, working on projects. As someone who contributes to emulator development a bit and has made my own... I've learned a myriad of reasons I don't want to play all my games via emulation. It's no thought crime for someone to want to do that, or at least try it, but man poorly made emulation setups drive me up the wall.

A lot of the games I like have flawed emulation that will matter as you get deeper into the game, a lot of it related to CPU bus access timings. Other things are just kind of strange, and fixable with some tweaking, but your average MAME jammer won't ever do anything but run the godawful defaults (Why does Armed Police Batrider have such out of wack ADPCM / FM sound balance? I have a patch to submit...) Emulators often take shortcuts in development that result in hardware quirks not being emulated, and in Arcade games, these quirks are rarely important to critical game function so they fall by the wayside.

Input sampling is also harder than you think when it's not a realtime system. On original hardware, game are free to sample the controller state multiple times per frame, not only at the start/end of a frame. That's really hard to get right as an emulator developer. When Super Street Fighter II X is set to turbo, it achieves this by running more than one frame of game logic per displayed frame, and it spaces input reads proportionately. If your emulator only samples inputs at vblank, then you might experience inputs being a bit harder to pull off. Arguably a game design flaw, but it is one example of a very small inaccuracy providing a subconsciously worse experience.

Then you have your normal stuff - input latency from the emulator's design, or the OS stack, or all of the above, and configuring video outputs to get the right monitor refresh rate to avoid tearing, or stuttering from framerate conversion, and getting the video card to output the right mode, and... blah. I used to be into jumping through those hoops, but it's a lot of time spent to put together something "for free". It's an extreme exercise to put together a reproducible setup that doesn't leave at least one of these problems as a compromise. Run-ahead is a neat emulation idea, but I am afraid people are going to just jump into it and unilaterally apply 2f without understanding where those 2f comes from, and how to tell when it's not appropriate to apply. (The two frames usually comes from one frame delay of the game reading inputs during vblank, and generating a scene, and then another from double-buffered sprites. Background changes often omit one of these frames, so for some titles you can expect very subtle backdrop bugs or jitter from this)

Assuming the emulation set-up is all complete, there's still the issue of interface and usability. The fun of having multiple cabinets is that you can share your favorite games with your friends, and to do that good presentation is important. A lot of the time, these game are brand new to people who don't already know about them, so leaving a good impression is aided by having the game not be compromised by subconsciously degrading factors.

I'm not a "collector" in that I don't have some list-based goal, or a "need" to get certain items. I only want to hang on to my favorites. Plus, it's fun to have your own curation of your favorites, and to be able to share with others why you like your games. Going over to a friend's house and seeing their games is the reciprocal of that experience. I found Breaker's Revenge by going to a friend's house, and he just popped it in the cab. Having a limited palette of games to play can be a little easier to deal with, because I really like to get into a game and get better at it over time. It felt really good the first time I cleared a shmup, and now I can pretty reliably clear DoDonPachi, which I never thought I'd be able to do 2 years ago when I first found out about it.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 16, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

^^ Good stuff. I like listening to people discussing things they are passionate and knowledgeable about.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Rutibex posted:

i like to make my own board games out of cereal boxes

Just wanted to say this is super neat and fascinating. I have a buddy who designs boardgames and showed him this post, he loved seeing how someone else approaches creativity with boardgames. Your "upcycling" is cool as heck.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ritznit posted:

Just wanted to say this is super neat and fascinating. I have a buddy who designs boardgames and showed him this post, he loved seeing how someone else approaches creativity with boardgames. Your "upcycling" is cool as heck.

does your buddy have any published games?

i am hoping to eventually sell a few of my games. there are great sites like thegamecrafter.com which let you self-publish board games really easily. my main issue is the art. i can design interesting game mechanics, but all of my boards and cards look like a 1st edition D&D manual :v:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rad-daddio posted:

We're currently working with an overseas company that has the ability to print modeled porous structures for promoting bone ingrowth. They use a proprietary software to generate the geometric structures via algorithm. There's no way it'll be allowed by the FDA within the next decade, but it'll be a huge benefit to patients when the tech goes mainstream.

Could you go into more detail about how the FDA regulates this stuff for custom or small-batch work? Is most of the approval about the materials used? The process? How much oversight is there for the individual designs?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Resting Lich Face posted:

^^ Good stuff. I like listening to people discussing things they are passionate and knowledgeable about.

:agreed:

I'm glad I asked. I've got a couple friends who've bought old American arcade shelves and thrown together a cheap MAME computer in there to make a catchall emulation system. Some games work better than others, but I can totally see how the experience is different from the original hardware.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I collect and interconnect PBXs and telco/network gear. Everything from VOIP, T1/PRI and POTS. I've got all of the colors of rotary phones that Western Electric (AT&T) and even a payphone. Probably the most worm brained thing I have is a 24 channel 56k dailin pool that lets me dialup to the other side of my house to get to the internet.

I also like to load up 300 baud audio into voicemail prompts so I can do things like this:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Ring missing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

Could you go into more detail about how the FDA regulates this stuff for custom or small-batch work? Is most of the approval about the materials used? The process? How much oversight is there for the individual designs?

Oddly enough, it's not that hard to get an implant design approved by the FDA. Typically, they want you to submit examples of similar devices or materials that are on the market already. These are known as "predicate devices", and being able to reference these to your implant project will make your regulatory approval process easier. If you wanted to design some off the wall super implant out of some exotic never before used material, you can do that but you'll also have to do a whole bunch of expensive testing for it as well.

Anything that goes inside the human body for an extended period of time usually has to clear a 510K pre-market approval. This is essentially where you submit drawings, material data and sterilization protocols to the FDA and they decide how much testing and stuff you'll have to go through to allow you to market your device in the USA. We actually had a big setback bc the FDA wouldn't let us use a certain coating on the inside of our knee implant, even though it would be better for patient outcomes. Since there was no substantial equivalent on the market, we'd have to spend about 100K USD to do the needed biological testing to allow us to use the coating.

The FDA does allow for short run and custom instruments that are considered "special requests" by surgeons. This used to be a good market for designing one off and custom modified surgical implements that allowed a surgeon to do their operation better. ...however, distributors and manufacturers started abusing this allocation and started using it as an avenue for bypassing certain regulatory steps. So, if you do custom instrument design you have to jump through more hoops thanks to companies who abused a good thing.

There's a level of regulatory constraint that increases proportional to the medical device and how long it's in your body. Figure that operating room appliances like tables, fixtures and things like that usually have little to no need for FDA pre market approval, since it's usually outside the body and usually the sterile operating field as well.

Things like cutting instruments, orthopedic cut guides(like I pictured above) and retractors tend to have a little more oversight due to their ability to manipulate tissue or influence a surgical procedure.

Lastly, anything that gets implanted into the body will have the most stringent regulatory oversight. This will control things like the material used, the instruments used to implant it and even the packaging and sterilization steps used to process it. The FDA also does "audits", where they show up ant your doorstep and physically go through your paperwork to make sure that you're following "Current Good Manufacturing Practices", as well as following your own implemented QSP (Quality Systems Policy). The latter being your in house quality assurance procedures.

So, it looks complicated but it's not too bad really once you're in it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'd love to own one of those SEGA Astro City arcade cabinets but nothing ever comes up locally. :smith:

I've got an autosearch going for "arcade" on the local online marketplace and the few results I get are for newly built DIY stuff.

A couple years I finally got a cheap cabinet from the early 90s that I've been modifying, fabricating a new front panel and installing better speakers was a pretty fun process

After a while the original CRT display croaked and it was near impossible to find a good replacement that would fit this tiny cabinet so I just stuck a 24" LCD in there. With the right shader effects and FreeSync enabled it looks surprisingly decent, with the added bonus of being able to play modern high resolution stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVR3xsrc8w

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I golf.
I used to be much better at it. To the point of getting my Q card.
Anyone familiar with golf will know what that means.
I am no longer that good but still love the game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
At what point does having a hobby turn to having a problem with-?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

At what point does having a hobby turn to having a problem with-?

The point is when you put yourself in either financial or physical danger. I've definitely done both.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

The point is when you put yourself in either financial or physical danger. I've definitely done both.

Dat post and Avatar combination :3:

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

There was a large bald nerd from Games who used to post long threads about cabinet building like 10 years ago. His name started with S...anyway, it would be cool if you guys could hook up and be nerds together. That's all ^^

edit: Sasquatch! I think. His mame threads made me want to be productive but instead I'd smoke a bowl and read them while falling asleep.

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sweet thursday posted:

I've won pinball tournaments

gently caress you no you haven't how dare you, only I am the pinball tournament winner!

also pinball is cool please everyone come visit the thread in Games to anyone who doesn't know about it