Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Does it have coop that's not split screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Tale of Bistun

quote:

The Tale of Bistun is a story-driven action-adventure game inspired by the famous Persian tragic romance “Khosrow and Shirin”. A stone carver with no memory of who he is must traverse blighted lands to discover his identity and the source of a pleading, strangely familiar whisper.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256896182/movie480_vp9.webm
No user reviews yet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Elendil004 posted:

Does it have coop that's not split screen?

Nope! And PC already got 4 with online co-op.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Queer Man Peering Into A Rock Pool.jpg

quote:

A joyful, strange experience in which a middle-aged queer man toddles around a strange island attempting to re-furnish his empty house.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256896140/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 13 reviews.

TooMuchCornstarch
Dec 11, 2012
Too much is never enough.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1577690/Video_Game_Fables/

Video game fables is a cozy little 10 hour rpg that just dropped. I had a pretty good time with it. 4/5 stars.

It’s got a few unpolished bits but combat is snappy and the writing isn’t cliched.

If you like rpgs it is definitely worth checking out. It’s endearingly earnest.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Play posted:

Also, wanna shoutout the Nina Turtle game. It has such a nice classic feel. Wish I had some friends to play with though as I feel like I'm definitely missing a lot of the attraction in single player (obviously for a game based off one of the best multiplayer arcade games of all time).
It's so good. I had a fine time playing through the Switch version on my own (as Donatello, of course), and now that it's out on Steam convinced a few friends to buy it and they all fell in love instantly. It's so satisfying in every way, from the actual gameplay to the little references that the devs snuck in anywhere. I grew up with the TMNT show/movies and I can't even place all of the Easter eggs. The multiplayer with 4+ is chaotic in the most enjoyable way possible. It's even got enough depth that a couple of my friends who are hardcore fighting game people are having fun with it. Best money I've spent on games in at least a year.

Only downsides I can think of is the crossplay between platforms is a pain in the rear end and the default keyboard controls aren't great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II

quote:

An old-school hack-and-slash action RPG awaits! Pick one of five heroes, defeat monstrous enemies with weapons and spells, loot treasure and level up in this classic D&D fantasy adventure.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256888624/movie480_vp9.webm

If you're not excited about ports of twenty year-old games then you're probably not going to be interested in this, but the original was one of my favorite games back then and it was pretty satisfying to revisit. I'm definitely going to pick this up, but not at full price.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
While playing Dark Alliance over a decade ago my friend and I coined the term Scooby-Doo-ing, where one person aggros a monster and runs in circles around the other person, who shoots/stabs it while it just runs after the first. I have no idea why we called it that buts its a term we still use today. Might play through this as well (we only played the first)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Morpheus posted:

While playing Dark Alliance over a decade ago my friend and I coined the term Scooby-Doo-ing, where one person aggros a monster and runs in circles around the other person, who shoots/stabs it while it just runs after the first. I have no idea why we called it that buts its a term we still use today. Might play through this as well (we only played the first)

Kiting, generally, and it was definitely a tactic in Everquest and such

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Kiting, generally, and it was definitely a tactic in Everquest and such

We kited the heck out of everything in FFXI, EQ, and a little in WoW though WoW has adjusted this tactic to be part of the mechanics in the form of forcing movement because mechanics (despite standing in the lava being the only correct way to play any game).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TombStar

quote:

Take on the Grimheart Gang as you shoot, dodge, cloak and explode your way across TombStar in this Space Western rogue-like shooter. Grab your guns, buckle your spurs and take back the planet – for justice, for revenge and for the galaxy.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256894028/movie480_vp9.webm
90% positive based on 30 reviews.

Updog

quote:

Updog is a game all about getting that dog up. Jump, dive, grapple, and ground pound your way across the cloudscape to grab balloons and fuel for your raft, your one ticket to the heavens.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256888057/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 14 reviews (but why does it have an 8 minute trailer?).

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So this is updog, I've always wondered.

Incidentally, another Platformer released today, a rather rambunctious alternative to your Hat in times and your Kao the Kangaroos: Hell Pie
https://store.steampowered.com/app/889910/Hell_Pie/
(Here's a safe for work trailer for people with sensitive constitutions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8v5oIjQA4

I tried the demo back during a nextfest on Steam and it's definately my jam, the controls feel right and it's definately got the anarchic tone that I enjoy.

quote:

Hell Pie is an obscene 3D platformer that takes bad taste to the next level! Hell Pie sees you grab the horns of Nate, the ‘Demon of Bad Taste’. He is given the honorable task of gathering the disgusting ingredients for Satan’s infamous birthday pie!

Only four reviews as of this posting but they are all positive.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Kickstarted this (apparently 2 years ago now, wow) and it's finally in Early Access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249480/ExZodiac/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256897125/movie480_vp9.webm

It's totally not Starfox. Contains 6 of the planned 12 levels and what's there is claimed to be complete but I haven't played it yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, I've been itching for more new platformers lately, but that's....not exactly what I pictured. I'll give it a look though :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tombot posted:

So this is updog, I've always wondered.

Incidentally, another Platformer released today, a rather rambunctious alternative to your Hat in times and your Kao the Kangaroos: Hell Pie
https://store.steampowered.com/app/889910/Hell_Pie/
(Here's a safe for work trailer for people with sensitive constitutions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8v5oIjQA4

I tried the demo back during a nextfest on Steam and it's definately my jam, the controls feel right and it's definately got the anarchic tone that I enjoy.

Only four reviews as of this posting but they are all positive.

I was extremely mild on this for the first half hour of the game. You get your standard double jump + midair dash, felt very much like A Hat In Time but missing the movement you get from the combination of jumps and dash/slides.

If you're at all interested in this game, play it until you get to the first real hub world level (not the supermarket) and keep to the left at the start. The upgrade you get makes movement immediately better. I'm fast as gently caress boyyy :getin:

E: I've had about a demo's worth of time with this game and it's got a few rough spots mechanically but holy hell is the movement satisfying. One of the upgrades is a bounce where as long as you're holding down the dash button as you fall, you'll bounce when you hit the ground and it refreshes your double jump. Combine that with the turbine horns (basically sprint cap from A Hat in Time) and you can jump-boost swing-boost swing-double jump-dash-bounce-double jump within the first couple hours. You have MOVEMENT.

And just through the first island themed level, it's definitely all in bad taste for its theming but it has stuck the landing so far. "Giant whale that is a sushi restaurant on the inside, gee I wonder what they serve :thunk:" has been good. I haven't been to poop town yet though

bawk fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 22, 2022

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Morpheus posted:

one person for Shaggy/Scooby and the other for Fred/Daphne/Velma handling the trap, sounds more intuitive than "kiting" to me

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thecluckmeme posted:

I was extremely mild on this for the first half hour of the game. You get your standard double jump + midair dash, felt very much like A Hat In Time but missing the movement you get from the combination of jumps and dash/slides.

If you're at all interested in this game, play it until you get to the first real hub world level (not the supermarket) and keep to the left at the start. The upgrade you get makes movement immediately better. I'm fast as gently caress boyyy :getin:

E: I've had about a demo's worth of time with this game and it's got a few rough spots mechanically but holy hell is the movement satisfying. One of the upgrades is a bounce where as long as you're holding down the dash button as you fall, you'll bounce when you hit the ground and it refreshes your double jump. Combine that with the turbine horns (basically sprint cap from A Hat in Time) and you can jump-boost swing-boost swing-double jump-dash-bounce-double jump within the first couple hours. You have MOVEMENT.

And just through the first island themed level, it's definitely all in bad taste for its theming but it has stuck the landing so far. "Giant whale that is a sushi restaurant on the inside, gee I wonder what they serve :thunk:" has been good. I haven't been to poop town yet though

How's the writing? The trailer makes it look really unfunny, but if it's not that bad then I might dive in

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

How's the writing? The trailer makes it look really unfunny, but if it's not that bad then I might dive in

It's about as memey as Guacamelee but it's all nudge-nudge so far. For instance, one of the things you walk past in Hell is a DVD player with 5 demons sitting around watching the DVD logo bounce around. You get an achievement for waiting with them until the DVD logo perfectly hits a corner.

I'd place it adjacent to Conkers Bad Fur Day, but I also haven't gotten too deep in yet so I don't know if it takes a wildly transphobic or racist turn yet. As a platformer, it's good as hell.

E: On second thought, put this into the "if it's discounted by more than 50%, consider it" pile. I've just had to replay the same section of about a minute's worth of annoying platforming for the sixth time, and the reason I did was poor collision detection sliding me off a platform into a pit of acid.

bawk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 22, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

FIND ALL 3: Travel

quote:

Look for hidden cats, raccoons, other animals and objects, color this painted world. You have to go on an exciting journey through different levels. More than 1500 items of varying difficulty are waiting for you!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256883093/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 10 reviews. If you've played either of the previous games you probably know exactly what this is like.

Trash Bomber

quote:

Inspect randomly generated piles of trash, poured into the incinerator. Find all the objects that aren't allowed to be burned down, and... BLOW THEM UP!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256895579/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 24 reviews. Free.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

FIND ALL 3: Travel

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256883093/movie480_vp9.webm
100% positive based on 10 reviews. If you've played either of the previous games you probably know exactly what this is like.

This one felt way bigger than previous ones, there's three levels of difficulty on 3 different maps making 9 maps total, although hardmode for maps 2 and 3 aren't releasing until at least tomorrow.

I spent a solid 45 minutes listening to a podcast and trying to get everything for Map 1 Hardmode :argh::love:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Solitaire Expeditions

quote:

Inspired by the 1992 hit Solitaire's Journey, Solitaire Expeditions is a modern take on a classic game. Play over 100 variants, including Klondike, FreeCell, Spider, Canfield, and Golf. Embark on a expedition or play individual games. Unlock new backgrounds, card backs, and decks as you play.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256867119/movie480_vp9.webm
94% positive based on 17 reviews.

World of Haiku

quote:

Entering the World of Haiku is the first step to acquiring the critical, real-world skills needed to become a cybersecurity professional. In this first and only gamified cyberpunk experience, you gain real-world hacking skills as you advance through the game missions.
100% positive based on 4 reviews. I'm always skeptical of games that claim to be anything but entertaining (and even that's a bit of a stretch sometimes), but who knows?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

World of Haiku

100% positive based on 4 reviews. I'm always skeptical of games that claim to be anything but entertaining (and even that's a bit of a stretch sometimes), but who knows?

Me too! Asked some security friends for their take, I’m curious what they’ll think.

E: I see that you did too!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 23, 2022

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

thecluckmeme posted:

This one felt way bigger than previous ones, there's three levels of difficulty on 3 different maps making 9 maps total, although hardmode for maps 2 and 3 aren't releasing until at least tomorrow.

I spent a solid 45 minutes listening to a podcast and trying to get everything for Map 1 Hardmode :argh::love:

Even just the Normal difficulty levels are taking me forever. I wonder if this one's just a bit too hard to be honest, it's veered into "slightly annoying" for me on at least a few occasions.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sway Grunt posted:

Even just the Normal difficulty levels are taking me forever. I wonder if this one's just a bit too hard to be honest, it's veered into "slightly annoying" for me on at least a few occasions.

It's all still pattern recognition and knowing when to put a pause on which of your three options you're looking for. The thing I find most annoying is the variation in shapes I had to get used to. It's not just finding eight sausages, its eight cured meats of different shapes. It's not just eight ice cream cones, it's eight one/two/three scoop cones + soft serves. Hard mode really likes to hide the I Spy patterns in other similar patterns too, so you have to keep an eye out.

I don't think it's too hard at this point, but I think you have to be the kind of person who plays hidden object games for fun and wants to spend some time peeling back the layers on where an object "should" be based off where other objects are, etc. because that's exactly how I solved hard mode of Map 1

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You made my day. FIND ALL is the prettiest and most satisfying line-art hidden-object game I know. You never feel cheated when you find the last object of a type; you feel clever for having solved the puzzle. You never feel that "well, that was three lines that might have been something" irritation.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

thecluckmeme posted:

I don't think it's too hard at this point, but I think you have to be the kind of person who plays hidden object games for fun and wants to spend some time peeling back the layers on where an object "should" be based off where other objects are, etc. because that's exactly how I solved hard mode of Map 1

I am such a person, though, and I really liked the first two FIND ALLs. I like this one too. Just some of the sneakier items, like the last feather or snail on level 6, I've found a bit frustrating to track down, which is an experience I don't recall from the first two games. I actually do like the variation in shapes, what I'm not big on is hiding 3/4ths of a balloon behind a tree with just a little string as a hint or stuff like that (hiding half a balloon would be okay in this case).

Anyway it's still great! Gonna tackle the hard levels today, we'll see how that goes.

edit: Went smoother than the normal levels, somehow. Maybe just familiarity with the scenes.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 24, 2022

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490280/Realms_of_Magic/

This had an official release 4 days ago, and I saw it on the Steam Store then, but I only now got around to giving it a try. At first glance, looked like someone wanted to moosh Skyrim style rpg grind/progression and a bland but functional story into a Terraria mould, with lots of little sidescroller style regions you can leave and move between in a top-down world map.

It spent a long time as an early access game, I believe. Just did a quick forum search here and saw a reference to Realms of Magic from 2017. There are guides written on Steam's community page, but most of them are clearly outdated.

I was reasonably interested in the pitch, but the tutorial dragged on a bit. Ended up pressing alt-F4 and closing the game accidentally when I was trying to figure out how to eat/drink and it looked like I needed a function key + F4 press. Part of that was probably trying to play it on a little laptop computer, though.

I'm going to give it at least another hour, I find the idea of a more directed terraria style adventure with some designed levels you can't just build around to be pretty appealing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sway Grunt posted:

I am such a person, though, and I really liked the first two FIND ALLs. I like this one too. Just some of the sneakier items, like the last feather or snail on level 6, I've found a bit frustrating to track down, which is an experience I don't recall from the first two games.

Yeah, I am stuck right now on the snail and the feather. This one feels a lot harder to me than the last two, even on easy level.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

avoraciopoctules posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490280/Realms_of_Magic/

This had an official release 4 days ago, and I saw it on the Steam Store then, but I only now got around to giving it a try. At first glance, looked like someone wanted to moosh Skyrim style rpg grind/progression and a bland but functional story into a Terraria mould, with lots of little sidescroller style regions you can leave and move between in a top-down world map.

It spent a long time as an early access game, I believe. Just did a quick forum search here and saw a reference to Realms of Magic from 2017. There are guides written on Steam's community page, but most of them are clearly outdated.

I was reasonably interested in the pitch, but the tutorial dragged on a bit. Ended up pressing alt-F4 and closing the game accidentally when I was trying to figure out how to eat/drink and it looked like I needed a function key + F4 press. Part of that was probably trying to play it on a little laptop computer, though.

I'm going to give it at least another hour, I find the idea of a more directed terraria style adventure with some designed levels you can't just build around to be pretty appealing.

Seems interesting! Usually I’ve only played Terraria style stuff co-op (which I feel like would’ve been great for this!), but I do like the pitch.

E: got an hour in. It definitely combines all the bits. Building etc like in terraria, some quests, overworld with locations you jump between. The writing is not super great, lots of awkward phrasings and random segues, but thats not really the point i suppose. will probably give it another try at some point, it seems like each individual part is not the attraction as much as the combination.

tildes fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 25, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sway Grunt posted:

I am such a person, though, and I really liked the first two FIND ALLs. I like this one too. Just some of the sneakier items, like the last feather or snail on level 6, I've found a bit frustrating to track down, which is an experience I don't recall from the first two games. I actually do like the variation in shapes, what I'm not big on is hiding 3/4ths of a balloon behind a tree with just a little string as a hint or stuff like that (hiding half a balloon would be okay in this case).

Anyway it's still great! Gonna tackle the hard levels today, we'll see how that goes.

edit: Went smoother than the normal levels, somehow. Maybe just familiarity with the scenes.

I spent two hours on level 9, jesus christ this game gets brutal.

Twenty minutes for a single paint brush!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sway Grunt posted:

This. I had problems on fricking easy level, and I'm completely stuck on Normal 5. I'm starting to be frustrated as opposed to challenged.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In the same vein, Hidden Through Time just dropped two new DLCs

https://store.steampowered.com/app/524910/Hidden_Through_Time/

It's more isometric and also beautifully illustrated, but you can zoom in and out as well. $1.99 a pop for the two new DLCs but there's 10 levels in each one it looks like.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Someone finally made a Fate of The World clone. Though it's pandering hard, it is free.

Half Earth Socialism

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256893832/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

SET THE PLANETARY PLAN: Half-Earth Socialism allows anyone to try their hand as a global planner of a future society. Starting in the year 2023, you must make decisions about what projects the world will pursue--new research like alternative energy sources, or massive infrastructure projects like mass electrification or space travel, or one of over one hundred other possibilities. Decide how energy and food is produced across the world. Should we immediately halt all fossil fuel usage, or should we swap to a "transition" fuel source first?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1718910/Prose__Codes/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256853534/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642371840

quote:

Explore the wonderful world of books through deceptively simple substitution ciphers. 10% of every purchase benefits Project Gutenberg, an online library of over 60,000 free ebooks.
I think I missed this earlier this year, substitution cypher game promoting the Gutenberg Project Project Gutenberg. 100% positive with 66 reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2057080/Resonance_of_the_Ocean/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256892231/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1657370048

quote:

Pick up what the waves wash ashore to make instruments. Use those instruments to answer the echoes heard from beyond the ocean.
Free, short (about 30 mins) game about making specific sounds with pieces of stuff you find. 258 positive to 5 negative.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Tarnishing of Juxtia

quote:

As the final creation of the Goddess, Juxtia, journey through the ruins of two divine kingdoms, overrun by the Tarnishing. Challenging combat, a hauntingly beautiful score, and a sinister narrative work in unison to make The Tarnishing of Juxtia an unforgettable 2D dark fantasy action RPG.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256897678/movie480_vp9.webm
63% positive based on 60 reviews, but maybe worth keeping an eye on to see if some of the issues are addressed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dungeon Munchies

quote:

Hunt down monsters to cook and eat them! You’ve been revived in a massive underground complex and you must leave this bizarre facility. Aided by the undead Necro-Chef Simmer, you must stay safe, get fed, find a way to get out
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256896877/movie480_vp9.webm
Fresh out of EA. 97% positive based on ~3500 reviews.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Someone tell me if the combat is as good as that trailer makes it look

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Bear and Breakfast
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1136370/Bear_and_Breakfast/

Saw a cute preview on this a while ago.

quote:

Bear and Breakfast is a laid-back management adventure game where you play as a well-meaning bear trying to run a B+B in the woods. Hank and his friends find an abandoned shack and, equipped with their teenage ingenuity, turn it into a money-making bed and breakfast scheme for unsuspecting tourists.

Currently at 9 positive reviews

And, the people who made Autonauts made a tower defense version.

Autonauts vs Piratenauts
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1907720/Autonauts_vs_Piratebots/

quote:

Automate a farming business to earn gold and fund your defence campaign. Use industrious Workerbots, your ingenuity and all the natural resources you can harness to craft the tools and machinery needed to run a bustling settlement while commanding a successful defence campaign to conquer the invading Piratebots.

2 positive reviews

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

Someone tell me if the combat is as good as that trailer makes it look

So I picked this up and the art direction is completely wacknut, the character dialogue portrait poo poo is insane and the pace with which it gets ever more zany is absurd, I love it to bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
For anyone else who played this for zillions of hours as a kid...

ReVolt has been ReReleased on Steam!

4k, 120fps. Everything else just how I remember it.