Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

Griftlands came out on Steam recently, it's really good so far-

It's a deckbuilding roguelite but beyond that it's an actual RPG - you play as a grifter traveling around a sci-fi world, having conversations and doing quests. What makes it special is the way the deckbuilding gameplay comes in; you have two decks - a battle deck and a negotiation deck. You often have to make choices about improving one over the other and each one allows you to solve quests differently. Some quests may not have a negotiation option and force battles or vice versa. There are also opposing factions and you manage reputation between both. Maybe the battle-focused faction needs a negotiator to take care of something, so you do a little grifting work for them and they reward you with upgrades to your battle deck.

It has everything you'd expect from the genre like relics, upgrading cards (which happens in this game from cards gaining experience as you use them) but it comes with a procedurally generated story, much more dynamic characters, NPCs that have their own agendas and are persistent throughout the run, etc.

It's still in EA I think? But it's by Klei who has a track record of actually finishing their games (Don't Starve, Oxygen not Included, etc)

There's a lot of interaction between different events. I ran into a guard for the Admiralty who was trying to arrest a civilian laborer and asked me to do it for him, I told him to gently caress off and ended up fighting the guard and winning. The civilian laborer remembered that and a few days later when I was trying to negotiate my way out of getting jumped by some people who hated me in a bar, that same civilian laborer happened to be in the same bar and joined the argument on my side, where he tore into the opponent's side-arguments (basically Creatures) and let me focus on their core argument (Life). Some people surrender when you're about to beat them in a fight and you can execute them or let them go and they come back in big ways later on. It's all just so intertwined and fun to explore

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Daedalus1134 posted:

Hardspace: Shipbreaker just started early access on Steam for 20 bucks (25 after July 7th). You work as a shipyard scrapper for a megacorp, doing your best to cut apart ships and pay off your billion credit debt.

This sounds like it should be the sequel to Subnautica.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 26, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Griftlands came out on Steam recently, it's really good so far-

It's a deckbuilding roguelite but beyond that it's an actual RPG - you play as a grifter traveling around a sci-fi world, having conversations and doing quests. What makes it special is the way the deckbuilding gameplay comes in; you have two decks - a battle deck and a negotiation deck. You often have to make choices about improving one over the other and each one allows you to solve quests differently. Some quests may not have a negotiation option and force battles or vice versa. There are also opposing factions and you manage reputation between both. Maybe the battle-focused faction needs a negotiator to take care of something, so you do a little grifting work for them and they reward you with upgrades to your battle deck.

It has everything you'd expect from the genre like relics, upgrading cards (which happens in this game from cards gaining experience as you use them) but it comes with a procedurally generated story, much more dynamic characters, NPCs that have their own agendas and are persistent throughout the run, etc.

It's still in EA I think? But it's by Klei who has a track record of actually finishing their games (Don't Starve, Oxygen not Included, etc)

There's a lot of interaction between different events. I ran into a guard for the Admiralty who was trying to arrest a civilian laborer and asked me to do it for him, I told him to gently caress off and ended up fighting the guard and winning. The civilian laborer remembered that and a few days later when I was trying to negotiate my way out of getting jumped by some people who hated me in a bar, that same civilian laborer happened to be in the same bar and joined the argument on my side, where he tore into the opponent's side-arguments (basically Creatures) and let me focus on their core argument (Life). Some people surrender when you're about to beat them in a fight and you can execute them or let them go and they come back in big ways later on. It's all just so intertwined and fun to explore

I really enjoyed the run with the first character and will probably check out the brawl mode.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the second character's gameplay but I want to because the story seems cool!

ketchup vs catsup
Nov 30, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really enjoyed the run with the first character and will probably check out the brawl mode.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the second character's gameplay but I want to because the story seems cool!

is there progression (upgrades, unlocked cards, etc) that persist across runs? or do you start 100% fresh each run?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.

It's like Slay the Spire or whatever in that regard - when your run ends your score is tallied up and turned into experience, and when you gain levels as a character you unlock more cards for their deck in future runs and probably more artifacts and things too. You also get to choose one thing from a random selection of your current cards/friends/etc to bring with you into the next run

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 24, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

for some reason, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom is an actually relaxing and well made 3D platformer.

If you can still bear Spongebob and enjoy 3D platformers, this might be worth a look. It's rather easy since you really can't lose anything but I prefer that over joyless unnecessary frustrating sections in all the other games that have a visual design for kids but a gameplay loop for masochists.

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

Is Elden: Path of the Forgotten going to be really disappointing, or only somewhat?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ShaneB posted:

Is Elden: Path of the Forgotten going to be really disappointing, or only somewhat?

Knowing nothing else about the game I would definitely choose between really disappointing and only somewhat depending on whether the name was revealed before or after the reveal of fromsoft’s “elden ring”.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Lipstick Apathy

I may actually just make a thread about it, but if you haven't checked it out and like strategy RPGs, please give Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia a shot.

If you played the original Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena back in the 90s, this is a re-imagining of it. It isn't a remake, but it's an entirely new game that is basically a love letter to that game.

It's currently Switch-only, but there is a demo available as well.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nephrite posted:

I may actually just make a thread about it, but if you haven't checked it out and like strategy RPGs, please give Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia a shot.

If you played the original Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena back in the 90s, this is a re-imagining of it. It isn't a remake, but it's an entirely new game that is basically a love letter to that game.

Holy crap, I knew there was one other person who had played Brigandine!

I'll be queuing up this demo for some play soon~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Nephrite posted:

no one wearing a single dang brigandine in those screen shots. smh...

«14 »