Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Maybe there's too many automation games now?? (Naw!) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Terminally Bored posted:

The roguelike thread didn't have much good to say about this one. ADOM is a classic but incredibly flawed, with obtuse design and some really weird decisions.

I feel like switching it to a single dungeon might actually help a lot of the problems with original ADOM, but the reviews on the early access version seem like it is EXTREMELY early access right now. Like "maybe should have been in closed beta for awhile still" early access.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1362467545303965702

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like the Sniper Elite games. Does this hold up as a singleplayer experience?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Their first game, "While true: learn()" was a pretty fun programming puzzle game focused on machine learning, and this looks to be taking that and massively expanding it, though I can't tell if it's more like Spacechem or Factorio. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I have some friends I play Destiny 2 with. They like the free strike and tooling around on the planets.

I'd like to play with them more, but I think we're getting bored. The D2 premium content I think is too poorly explained and/or complex for them to enjoy.

Could anyone recommend an action maybe shooting-ish game thats has a solid team player vs. computer enemies mode?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I have some friends I play Destiny 2 with. They like the free strike and tooling around on the planets.

I'd like to play with them more, but I think we're getting bored. The D2 premium content I think is too poorly explained and/or complex for them to enjoy.

Could anyone recommend an action maybe shooting-ish game thats has a solid team player vs. computer enemies mode?

Deep Rock Galactic

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

I don’t really get how the machine learning is involved- did you get a sense for this? It seems cool tho!

(Also lol at calling linear/polynomial regression machine learning but hey I get why they would)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Division 2? Wildlands?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Earth Defense Force 5

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Seconding this, especially if you like working towards in game rewards

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is natsuki chronicle or ginga force good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pieuvre armement posted:

Is natsuki chronicle or ginga force good

I don't know. I do know that another game they made, ESCHATOS, is very good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hwurmp posted:

Earth Defense Force 5

This one is choice

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1253190/Warhammer_40000_Dakka_Squadron__Flyboyz_Edition/

Has a demo

quote:

Warhammer 40,000: Dakka Squadron - Flyboyz Edition. Blazing, Ork aerial combat waged across 41st millennium battlefields. Dakka Squadron is a fast-paced, aerial shooter where you are an Ork Flyboy, taking to the skies to do what Orks do best - fight!

quote:

A very arcade-y dog fighting game set in the Warhammer 40,000 Universe.

Pros:
-Perfect presentation. As a major fan of warhammer40k and as a predominately Ork player, the devs nailed the presentation. The soul in this game is spot on and has a ton of humor and character in the Orks and Grots.

[...]

Cons:
-Campaign progression is required to unlock certain weapons and gear. While you can gain all the teeth in the world in multiplayer matches, certain gear is locked behind campaign progression and require you to touch it a bit before being able to use it.

-Campaign can be hard. While its a relief that this game isn't a push over, it can be difficult at times and be frustrating to finish missions. This is doubled by the fact that missions do not have checkpoints or lives so dying or failing an objective can lead to repeating an entire mission. This would be less frustrating if the previous point of unlocking weapons and gear wasn't an issue.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289340/TasteMaker_Restaurant_Simulator/

In early access

quote:

TasteMaker is a restaurant tycoon/simulator game. It puts you in charge of making your restaurant the best dining destination in town. Build and decorate, manage staff, keep your facilities clean, serve delicious food, and more.

quote:

i bought this game because the trailer reminded me of my father who died last week in his nursing home, he owned a restaurant for many years and was an amazing chef. My uncles still own some restaurants in my home city and i will enjoy playing this game and roleplaying as my father. RIP Dad

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361320/The_Room_4_Old_Sins/

quote:

The disappearance of an ambitious engineer and his high-society wife provokes a hunt for a precious artefact. The trail leads you to the attic of their home, and the discovery of an old, peculiar dollhouse. What secrets lie within these walls?

quote:

Great addition to the room series, enjoyed playing through this as much as the others.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's surprisingly inexpensive for a Warhammer title. Also fairly low system requirements.

e: Ah, one of the reviews claims it's a port of a mobile game. That would explain it.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 19, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I played this long ago on phone and it was pretty good, but no Room 3. It's definitely worth it if you enjoyed the others, but not one to start with imo.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Also released today, another game about fish people, The Shore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RQfkZU_4c4

Looks pretty but seems like it might also be tedious and dull in the way these games can sometimes be.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Shores kind of reminded me of the Shores Unkown game that I liked the demo of during the Steam demo event, and I saw it in the upcoming titles list a week ago. Then it seemed to have disappeared, but it's out in EA now? I guess they didn't sell enough to get picked up by the algorithm.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/899460/Shores_Unknown/

Anyone bought it? Devs said it currently has 6h content, which i'm kinda meh about tbh for an RPG title

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I played this long ago on phone and it was pretty good, but no Room 3. It's definitely worth it if you enjoyed the others, but not one to start with imo.

I found Room 3 a bit too sprawling for what I want from the series and 4 just about perfect, YMMV. Either way they're all great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1424710/Geneforge_1__Mutagen/

quote:

Unique, truly open-ended fantasy adventure in a strange, new world. Use battle or cunning to change the world, served by your own army of custom-made mutant monsters. Over 80 zones to explore and 50+ hours of gameplay. Multitudes of skills, abilities, factions, treasures, and servants to create.

quote:

Big fan of Spiderweb Software and what it represents as a studio. I love that Geneforge gets a remake on the new engine. So far the story is interesting and I'm definitely going to play more as the Shaper!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Is it just a straight remake of the original Geneforge in a new engine, or does it have new content or play differently? Are Guardians still utter trash?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not sure if I'll replay Geneforge with the remake since it's only been like 5-6 years since I played the original, but if you never played the original and have any interest at all in the kinds of games Spiderweb makes, this is a good one.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Curse of the Dead Gods is out and it's rad

The reductive take will be "it's like Hades", but it has its own thing going on and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Have to see if it holds up for the long haul.

Curse posted:

You seek untold riches, eternal life, divine powers - it leads to this accursed temple, a seemingly-infinite labyrinth of bottomless pits, deadly traps, and monsters.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

victrix posted:

The reductive take will be "it's like Hades", but it has its own thing going on and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Have to see if it holds up for the long haul.

Is it better played on a pad (like Hades) or a m&k (like diablo)?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

victrix posted:

Can you talk a little about things it does differently? I'm interested

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cactus posted:

Is it better played on a pad (like Hades) or a m&k (like diablo)?

I went right to pad, it's extremely action focused - parry, dodge roll, charge and timing attacks, basic combos, three weapons of many types and a light to swap between

The control is extremely tight, but it's more (looks around, lowers voice) dark souls parrying and dodging at high speed than mowing through hordes with one button like Diablo

I generally prefer pad for this kind of game (even Diablo after playing the console port :v:), but I didn't test it on mkb. You could easily gauge if you like the feel in the refund window, there's very little fluff before you're in the thick of it

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Can you talk a little about things it does differently? I'm interested

Sure, I think the main thing is "double edged swords for days" - the titular curses accumulate through a meter that acts as another resource you need to manage alongside health and gold (you can 'spend' curse points at vendors instead of gold, some enemy attacks cause curse damage).

The curses have an upside and a downside, well managed they can be a benefit, but fill the meter all the way and you'll get the doom curse draining your health (which if you're a boss I suppose you could still deal with).

Light and traps - it's dark in the temple, you have a torch you can use to light fires (or enemies!), and while in the light your can spot otherwise invisible traps. You also take more damage in the dark... but some weapons and abilities give benefits in the dark.

The traps are all well themed with the different temples, and you can use them to your advantage if you're careful.

That's all the stuff that's layered on top of the combat, which feels very action game to me, and there's a ton of status effects and triggers that play off each other from all the weapons, boons, and items, encouraging weapon and attack type swapping to maximize damage and effect output, while managing your stamina pool.

There's more but if that sounds at all appealing and you like this type of game I'd say just dive in and try it, you'll know real fast if it feels good to you.

I think for some people the constantly accumulating curses will stress them out, for me it just feels like an interesting mechanic to play with, alongside the darkness and the traps.

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 24, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Scumhead1/status/1364495241080758273

This thing is free

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I dont know posted:

Is it just a straight remake of the original Geneforge in a new engine, or does it have new content or play differently? Are Guardians still utter trash?

Its got new content and new mechanics. Creations now have unique abilities to invest in instead of just stat pumping for instance and there are new ones created by kickstarter backers. Can't speak to Gardians, I've literally never played a non-Shaper in any of the Geneforge games tbh since that's the entire appeal for me.

I've been playing it and its a pretty decent graphics/mechanics step up from the original.

The one downside is graphical fidelity means you actually get to see what Serviles were supposed to look like and they have a big old elephant trunk for some reason? I guess to really drive home that they are a created species and not human.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

Some of the creatures in this game have vaguely sexual themes. There are a few bare pixelated breasts, and an enemy resembling male genitalia.

:hmmno:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

This thing is free

All his games are free :ssh:

Pretty sure all his games have weird dick monsters or something too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

treat posted:

All his games are free :ssh:

Pretty sure all his games have weird dick monsters or something too

afaik, Vomitoreum will be paid. And it has whatever the gently caress this thing is in it!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

A dicktaur.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wow, I'm somewhat in awe this exists.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265820/Fights_in_Tight_Spaces/

quote:

A stylish blend of deck-building, turn-based tactics, and thrilling animated fight sequences in classic action-movie settings. Learn to balance your hand, momentum, and positioning to overcome the odds to defeat your adversaries. Build your deck, control the space and live to fight another day.

quote:

This game plays like a wonderful combination of Slay the Spire and Into the Breach, with a stylized high-contrast silhouette aesthetic that is gorgeous while not requiring high spec devices to appreciate. I received this game early as part of the alpha-testing program and have not been able to shut up about it to friends ever since - that's why I have 178 hours logged here on release day. I can count the games I've played that long on one hand.

Has a demo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Superhot Tactics has been looking real slick for awhile now, may have to try it.

I do have to say though having "cards" in a videogame is a pet peeve. Why not just call them "moves" or "attacks" instead?? Why does everything have to be cards?

Tabletop games use cards because you need a physical thing, you don't need that in videogames stop calling them cards!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

But there are like at least a few thousand games, perhaps more, where they are called moves, attacks, lines of dialogue or spells. Surely there's space for a few of those games to be card-themed?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Zaphod42 posted:

Superhot Tactics has been looking real slick for awhile now, may have to try it.

I do have to say though having "cards" in a videogame is a pet peeve. Why not just call them "moves" or "attacks" instead?? Why does everything have to be cards?

Tabletop games use cards because you need a physical thing, you don't need that in videogames stop calling them cards!

"Cards" have the important property that you draw them randomly from a deck and keep them in your hand until you use them. That's important semantic information that calling them "moves" doesn't carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zore posted:

Its got new content and new mechanics. Creations now have unique abilities to invest in instead of just stat pumping for instance and there are new ones created by kickstarter backers. Can't speak to Gardians, I've literally never played a non-Shaper in any of the Geneforge games tbh since that's the entire appeal for me.
Yeah, I mean, why would you play a game with a premise as unique as that of the Geneforge games and then pick the class that does nothing except for hitting things with swords? I don't really know why those were even an option at all.