Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Carebotz

quote:

What Happens When Classic Asteroids® Meets Metroidvania®? Carebotz is a single-player game featuring Bibz, a maintenance droid and protagonist on a mission to save a derelict factory from destruction. To accomplish this, you must advance carefully as danger lurks everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So I roll with a rolling thunder
And I howl with the howling wind
And I drift downstream for as long as it takes
To get up and around the bend

Huge post incoming! I play tons of new games so I've got OPINIONS

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127970/Retro_Machina/

Retro Machina just released the full version, played it quite a bit last night and I REALLY like it. The environments and art are beautiful. It's a nice mix of basic but fun combat, puzzles and exploration. And the world / backstory is slim but intriguing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222340/Sockventure/

Sockventure is a devilishly tricky platformer that's pretty addictive. Moving through the levels is challenging enough but getting all the coins really takes some effort. They drip feed you more powers as you go along which totally changes the gameplay and every level is quite different from every other and has unique mechanics. Better than it looks at first, for sure.

Not sure it's worth 15 bucks but it's a good game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347970/Patch_Quest/

Patch Quest, the developer has a long series chronicling the development of this game on youtube. Pretty fun so far, more challenging and complex than it appears at first.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1497630/Wheres_Samantha/

Where's Samantha?: fun puzzle platformer about a piece of cloth adventuring out to find his love and conquering puzzles and obstacles along the way.

And some takes on previously mentioned games:

ultrafilter posted:

Smelter looks like a modern take on ActRaiser and it's getting pretty good reviews so far.

Smelter is amazing but it's still buggy, I played it for three hours and then came to find out that it never saved my game properly. Super annoying, I'm sure it'll get fixed though and it's a really fun game. Challenging side scrolling platform/action game. The base building is pretty overrated and a bit silly overall but the levels are really fun, especially the challenge areas which will frustrate and intrigue you.

Donnerberg posted:

Now to see if R-Type Final 2 holds up. It's been ages since last they made one of those. It's out tomorrow on more or less everything.

I couldn't play this at all, I guess I just suck really hard but they don't explain the controls and you seem to die on the first hit which is too much for my weak skillz in this genre

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am digging Unbeatable [white label] so much. Free on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290490/UNBEATABLE_white_label/

I've been waiting a while for this one, stoked there is a free demo gonna check that out today for sure! Thanks!

Wait how is this new? I've had this for ages, feel like it was released at least a year ago. Absolutely incredible game, everyone should check it out especially if you like things like that. Kind of reminds me of Katana Zero in that it looks great and is well-crafted, has a good level of challenge and absolutely beautiful pixel art. More action oriented though

Donnerberg posted:

Insurmountable comes out on Thursday. It's another loving procedurally generated roguelike.

Wait! Look here before you dip out.

I got it, it's kind of fun and interesting although I feel like they desperately need new scenarios as they begin to repeat frequently. It's devilishly difficult too, super hard to keep all the required meters (energy, body temp, sanity and oxygen) high enough. I would say the replayability is pretty low, although the unique setting does help it a lot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Play posted:

Huge post incoming! I play tons of new games so I've got OPINIONS

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127970/Retro_Machina/

Retro Machina just released the full version, played it quite a bit last night and I REALLY like it. The environments and art are beautiful. It's a nice mix of basic but fun combat, puzzles and exploration. And the world / backstory is slim but intriguing.
I played the demo and it was neat, it's like if supergiant made a puzzle game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Before We Leave isn't technically new, but it's new to the Steam store after being an Epic exclusive for a year or so.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073910/Before_We_Leave/

It's an Anno-like, where you lay down building tiles for houses and industries on a hex-grid planet, and tiles can give each other bonuses or maluses depending upon what's next to what. You'll have to colonize multiple islands, and from there, multiple planets, as you gather all of the resources and technology to... something something something because I don't know anyone who has actually gotten beyond the "couple of islands" stage before shrugging and wandering away.

The problem is that the game, in an earnest attempt to be casual and approachable, doesn't give you a lot of useful information. You need food for your people! How much food, how often? Eh. Watch your food inventory and see whether it's going up or down. Do you not have enough food? Maybe you don't have enough local storage? Maybe your supply lanes are too long? Maybe you don't have enough farms? Who knows, there's no way to get that information, so just try changing things and see what happens.

It's... fine when you're on one island, but once you move onto a second island and have to create shipping lanes and manage those lanes because islands produce different things and now you're tracking ten or more commodities by just watching the numbers and trying to identify trends, it's just frustrating and boring. It's not Anno 1800 with its detailed links and defined ratios, it's an Anno from ten years ago with less detail provided.

And then on top of it, there's just an overall theme of despair: the more you build, the unhappier your people get, and the more industries you'll have to put down to provide the goods that make people happy but those industries pollute and add literal gloom to the spaces around them, so you'll need more industries and make more gloom and just in general by the third island I was unsure of why I was making any technological progress when all it did was make everyone unhappy.

On the other hand, it's on sale for $15, and that's practically free, so maybe I just a bad gamer and it's worth your time?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So I roll with a rolling thunder
And I howl with the howling wind
And I drift downstream for as long as it takes
To get up and around the bend

skeleton warrior posted:

Before We Leave isn't technically new, but it's new to the Steam store after being an Epic exclusive for a year or so.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073910/Before_We_Leave/

It's an Anno-like, where you lay down building tiles for houses and industries on a hex-grid planet, and tiles can give each other bonuses or maluses depending upon what's next to what. You'll have to colonize multiple islands, and from there, multiple planets, as you gather all of the resources and technology to... something something something because I don't know anyone who has actually gotten beyond the "couple of islands" stage before shrugging and wandering away.

The problem is that the game, in an earnest attempt to be casual and approachable, doesn't give you a lot of useful information. You need food for your people! How much food, how often? Eh. Watch your food inventory and see whether it's going up or down. Do you not have enough food? Maybe you don't have enough local storage? Maybe your supply lanes are too long? Maybe you don't have enough farms? Who knows, there's no way to get that information, so just try changing things and see what happens.

It's... fine when you're on one island, but once you move onto a second island and have to create shipping lanes and manage those lanes because islands produce different things and now you're tracking ten or more commodities by just watching the numbers and trying to identify trends, it's just frustrating and boring. It's not Anno 1800 with its detailed links and defined ratios, it's an Anno from ten years ago with less detail provided.

And then on top of it, there's just an overall theme of despair: the more you build, the unhappier your people get, and the more industries you'll have to put down to provide the goods that make people happy but those industries pollute and add literal gloom to the spaces around them, so you'll need more industries and make more gloom and just in general by the third island I was unsure of why I was making any technological progress when all it did was make everyone unhappy.

On the other hand, it's on sale for $15, and that's practically free, so maybe I just a bad gamer and it's worth your time?

I was wondering if I should get this so thank you for the information. I already didn't love how the game looked and I don't really like keeping track of tons of different numbers so that's a 'no' from me.

Anyways,

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1183580/Terra_Alia/

Terra Alia

quote:

Welcome to a world where the use of magic is not so uncommon. Where powerful spells exist alongside the machines of modern day. In Terra Alia, the regulation of magic is left up to each unique nation. To be able to wield your arcane abilities, you must first learn the language of the land.

In an effort to prevent another global conflict, the nations of Terra Alia have joined together in the regulation magic within their lands. To be able to cast, you’ll have to not only speak in a country’s native tongue, but you must also think in it too in order to grow your magical abilities.

Only cool looking thing about this is that it is using real languages. So it is kind of an educational language learning game I suppose. Haven't played it yet but it's a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Play posted:

I got it, it's kind of fun and interesting although I feel like they desperately need new scenarios as they begin to repeat frequently. It's devilishly difficult too, super hard to keep all the required meters (energy, body temp, sanity and oxygen) high enough. I would say the replayability is pretty low, although the unique setting does help it a lot.

I agree about Unsurmountable. It really feels like a board game to me, right down to the limitation on replayability. It's also part of a subgenre of board game that's out there where you have a goal but the game is really about constantly managing crises. It's a nice challenge but sometimes when I come home from work managing various crises all day the last thing I want to do is fire up Steam and manage virtual crises.

I don't regret buying it at all but I don't think it should really even be billed as a rogue-like because it doesn't feel like that at all. If you're a regular reader of this thread and you also have shelves of cardboard, this is a game you'll want to go for. Otherwise, YMMV.