Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Womyn Capote posted:

Even at 15 bux I can really recommend Intergalactic Fishing on Steam. A lot of it might be nostalgia for the old ANSI fishing games of the early 90s.

Oh man. This is just what I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Streets of Rage 4 came out yesterday to little fanfare and it's drat good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

al-azad posted:

So Streets of Rage 4 came out yesterday to little fanfare and it's drat good.

I wouldn't say little fanfare, it's practically all I've heard some people talk about for about 2 days now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Womyn Capote posted:

Even at 15 bux I can really recommend Intergalactic Fishing on Steam. A lot of it might be nostalgia for the old ANSI fishing games of the early 90s.
I am kind of interested, but I have never played a fishing game before and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Can someone give me a short breakdown of what the gameplay is like?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

I am kind of interested, but I have never played a fishing game before and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Can someone give me a short breakdown of what the gameplay is like?

WASD to drive boat around. Left click to cast line. Left click to reel line in. The green bar indicates tension on the line - any red is tension. If you see red, right click to begin catching fish. Left click to pull them in. Use scroll wheel to change your reel speed - stay low so you don't break the line.

It's simple and effective. The rest of the UI is mouse driven and intuitive.

The primary gameplay loop is going to different lakes and trying to find where the fish are - shallow/deep/etc - and catching them so you can study or sell them.

The twist is lures: you build them in a tetris like display. Some fish like bright lures or quiet or...

I once went from catching nothing to everything by figuring out that dark was best for a fish.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks. Sounds relaxing, I think I'll give it a shot.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

a little over a week ago Mini Healer was released into early access. it's a boss rush ARPG where you manage the hotbar of a party healer. i'm having an absolute blast with it, so far. there's loads of content. currently 35 bosses which can be fought at 8 different levels of difficulty. not just inflated numbers, either. they have changed attack patterns, and more abilities as they increase in difficulty. tons of customization, with 3 distinct skill trees and tons of gear to support any build. it was on sale for its launch week, but that's over. still super cheap.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Stanley Tweedle posted:

a little over a week ago Mini Healer was released into early access. it's a boss rush ARPG where you manage the hotbar of a party healer. i'm having an absolute blast with it, so far. there's loads of content. currently 35 bosses which can be fought at 8 different levels of difficulty. not just inflated numbers, either. they have changed attack patterns, and more abilities as they increase in difficulty. tons of customization, with 3 distinct skill trees and tons of gear to support any build. it was on sale for its launch week, but that's over. still super cheap.

Gonna try this, thanks!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Stanley Tweedle posted:

This is a ton of fun

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stanley Tweedle posted:

I like this game but there are a bunch of difficulty spikes where you just have to go back and grind the same bosses over and over, not even getting good/worthwhile loot, just collecting experience. The different skill trees also break down a lot in power later on with Priest being insanely good and the other 2 being pretty unimpressive. You can make Occultist good with certain drops (look for the Book of Dread from the first boss of Soul Quarter) I guess.

I'm level 60 doing the Immortals in the Outer/Inner courtyards and some of them are giant DPS checks that I won't be able to beat without grinding a bunch of levels

edit: I'm healing perfectly while waiting for my team to get good so we can kill some bosses so I guess it's pretty true-to-life

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 7, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like this game but there are a bunch of difficulty spikes where you just have to go back and grind the same bosses over and over, not even getting good/worthwhile loot, just collecting experience. The different skill trees also break down a lot in power later on with Priest being insanely good and the other 2 being pretty unimpressive. You can make Occultist good with certain drops (look for the Book of Dread from the first boss of Soul Quarter) I guess.

I'm level 60 doing the Immortals in the Outer/Inner courtyards and some of them are giant DPS checks that I won't be able to beat without grinding a bunch of levels

edit: I'm healing perfectly while waiting for my team to get good so we can kill some bosses so I guess it's pretty true-to-life

I did an auramancer build, used auto hotkey, and left it on an quick insane fight overnight, now I’m level 85! At one point I had 11 auras, then I moved to a cataclysm build with a ring that makes cataclysm cast 1 per second, but the rest of the party does 0 DPS, and a glove that turns it into ice damage, which combos pretty good with some druid skills. Haven’t really upgraded or gemmed any gear yet, but I’m at 90k DPS and the inner courtyard berserker boss goes down in 18 seconds and gives ~ 350k experience.

I haven’t really tried out any other higher level builds, but maybe you could do the same thing with ranger rapid fire. The priest tank- focused build with a couple of unique swords was also pretty good at mid levels.

This doesn’t play like early access, except the pixel graphics bring my frame rate on a 1060 laptop down to a single digit frame rate- not sure what’s up with that. Also, I’m surprised there’s no item sets like diablo or world of Warcraft.

The hotkey for “sell item” is cntrl- right click

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 7, 2020

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My wife and I bought a copy of Deathtrap Dungeon on a whim. Sort of an ironic purchase? We bought it expecting to roast the poo poo out of it and it ended up being a pretty decent experience. It seems to be a pretty straight port of the tabletop module with a choice of modern/simplified combat rules or classic combat rules.

The entire thing is a tiny british man narrating the experience and your decisions with occasional images from the 1984 book with some D&D rear end D&D art. The game keeps track of the routes that you have explored and makes an autosave at every big decision point, so you can always go back and try out a different path if you want to see all the different ways you can die (or if you were too curious and end up getting one of the many instant game-overs).

It has all of the foibles of old D&D design, such as:

Instant Death if you go the wrong way
Letting you make it to the very end of the game and then killing you because you forgot to pick up a key item.
A difficulty range that scales from Really Easy to Impossible depending on your initial stat rolls.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That sounds like the perennial Deathtrap Dungeon experience :v:

Also saw it on Steam though and thought if nothing else it's an interesting way to go about things.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Tonight We Riot just dropped on Steam and Nintendo Switch.

Crowd based revolution simulator where you'll be smashing bricks into riot cops within the first minute of gameplay. Features riot dogs and an awesome soundtrack.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290690/Tonight_We_Riot/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

My wife and I bought a copy of Deathtrap Dungeon on a whim. Sort of an ironic purchase? We bought it expecting to roast the poo poo out of it and it ended up being a pretty decent experience. It seems to be a pretty straight port of the tabletop module with a choice of modern/simplified combat rules or classic combat rules.

The entire thing is a tiny british man narrating the experience and your decisions with occasional images from the 1984 book with some D&D rear end D&D art. The game keeps track of the routes that you have explored and makes an autosave at every big decision point, so you can always go back and try out a different path if you want to see all the different ways you can die (or if you were too curious and end up getting one of the many instant game-overs).

Letting you make it to the very end of the game and then killing you because you forgot to pick up a key item.
A difficulty range that scales from Really Easy to Impossible depending on your initial stat rolls.

Wow I might have to get this just for Eddie Marsan front and center who is perfect for playing nebbish fascists and egghead characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arrrthritis posted:

Panicked for a minute and thought someone had ported the PSX game to Steam. Then I was relieved. Then it turns out that Deathtrap Dungeon game IS on Steam.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Bishyaler posted:

Tonight We Riot just dropped on Steam and Nintendo Switch.

Crowd based revolution simulator where you'll be smashing bricks into riot cops within the first minute of gameplay. Features riot dogs and an awesome soundtrack.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290690/Tonight_We_Riot/

I really wanted to like this game but it's so bad. It plays like a knock-off River City Ransom with none of the charm. The controls are awful, the music is miserable and the humour is embarrassing. It feels like a flash game, and not a particularly good one at that. I'm astounded at how much they're charging for it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

dads_work_files posted:

I really wanted to like this game but it's so bad. It plays like a knock-off River City Ransom with none of the charm. The controls are awful, the music is miserable and the humour is embarrassing. It feels like a flash game, and not a particularly good one at that. I'm astounded at how much they're charging for it.

The most baffling thing about this is that developers are pushing the game almost entirely on its politics and patting themselves on the back for making an 'Unapologetically Leftist' video game but we're in a world where Disco Elysium not only exists but was one of the most critically acclaimed and discussed games to come out last year. Considering it's supposed to be the face of MeansTV trying to break into games publishing, "what if Tooth and Tail was shittier in every way" is definitely not a good first impression.

itty bitty baby boy
Mar 19, 2007

how do you do that thing with colored text in this box
Hi, I just released a game called Wintermoor Tactics Club on Steam.

I think it's cool! That's probably not surprising. We actually got an 82 on Metacritic, which is dope as hell. It's kinda like Persona 4, but 1/4th as long, and with Into The Breach-combat instead of old-Final-Fantasy combat. Plus, it's got a little discount for launch week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917840/Wintermoor_Tactics_Club/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

itty bitty baby boy posted:

I think it's cool! That's probably not surprising. We actually got an 82 on Metacritic, which is dope as hell. It's kinda like Persona 4, but 1/4th as long, and with Into The Breach-combat instead of old-Final-Fantasy combat. Plus, it's got a little discount for launch week.

This looks awesome and I will get it when it releases on switch!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey your game looks good I'mma buy it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

This looks fun. My backlog is a bit excessive these days, but I sorta want to add it.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Congrats, it looks great!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Splattercat did an LP of it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo6n7e_VXwk

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy

I love Indie Games. I’ll give this a shot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First impression just want to call out how interestingly diverse the cast is. The art and character design nails it out the gate.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

This actually dropped like 2 weeks ago but an interesting Chinese Early Access game came out recently.

It's called Path of Wuxia and it's a mix of a simulation game with hex based RPG combat. You're a newly recruited student at a martial art order and you've got to manage your life, training and relationships with others (no romance, just being buds with people).

The developer of this game has a bit of history behind. About 5-10 years ago, they made a game called Tale of Wuxia which was a remake on an even older Chinese simulation + rpg fusion game. While the original game was Chinese only (and got LP'd on these forums), Tale of Wuxia technically came out in English. The translation was awful and chunks of the game were left untranslated but it did come out. Unfortunately, it didn't sell well between having some really weird design decisions, an awful translation and no marketing of any kind. Then a dispute between them and the publisher happened with the publisher taking control of the game and it took them a few years to resolve that. They made another game between the dispute with their publisher but that's an eh game, not really worth talking about.

While it's Early Access so far, the game seems interesting. We've got a fair chunk of flexibility already in our character builds, having 6 types of martial arts available to us already (Fist, Leg, Sword, Sabre, Fan, Staff) and some passive sets to fiddle with. The production quality is decentish although the game seems pretty poorly optimised going by the hardware requirements. While there's no English version out officially, there's a discord doing a fan translation of the game so far and it's alright? It's in dire need of editing but the game is playable as of now. I actually really enjoyed Tale of Wuxia despite it being a 3/10 and 9/10 game simultaneously so I bought this pretty much immediately.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Duon Hong'er? More like Dong Hanger

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I've been playing a little but of Signs of the Sojourner over the last couple days, and although I'm only two hours in I'm really liking it. The premise is that you're traveling to various towns talking with people to build relationships and gather the goods you need to stock the shelves of the shop you've found yourself in charge of after your mother's death.

The gameplay consists of the conversations you have with the residents of these towns, which plays out as a card game. You'll have a hand of cards with symbols on their edges that you have to match with previously played cards as you and the other person alternate turns. It's basic to begin with, but as you venture further and further from your town you run into more and more people who speak entirely different languages (symbols) than you, which makes success more difficult. At the same time, engaging with these people is the only way you'll get better at speaking their language (win or lose, each conversation gives you the chance to get a card with the symbols they're conversant in) and the only way to learn about routes between different locations and events that are taking place. There's also a system where the more you travel, the more "fatigue" you acquire, which manifests itself as junk cards that you can only get rid of when you return home at the end of a trip. It's a really carefully thought out system, and one that maps well to the game's themes. The writing is pretty good too, funny but also melancholy at times as you try to reconcile your new life on the road with the friendships you're trying to maintain in your hometown.

The only thing I'm not certain of is the longevity-- when the game starts you can only make five trips out of town, and I've only done three so fast. Still, for as well thought out as everything else has been so far, I'd be surprised if the developers dropped the ball in that regard. It's twenty dollars right now, but I think it's definitely worth it based on what I've seen so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Umurangi Generation is out, and it's published by PLAYISM so you know it's going to be japanese and weird

quote:

Umurangi Generation is a first person photography game in the lovely future. Set in Tauranga Aotearoa off the back of an impending crisis you are a courier for the Tauranga Express. Throughout the game you will unlock a variety of lenses and equipment.

Unique and expressive grading system
Each photo you take is judged on its colour, content and composition. Taking a photo will net you a cash score which will go towards your final payout.

Complete Photo Bounties any way you like. Once you've completed these bounties deliver the parcel to finish the level.

Exploration bonuses on each level
New equipment for your camera is unlocked by finding film canisters, recreating postcards, fulfilling timed deliveries, and finding a way to fit all of your friends in one photo.

and woah! it's the only camera-focused game I've seen since that one Pokemon game. Hell yeah!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

StrixNebulosa posted:

and woah! it's the only camera-focused game I've seen since that one Pokemon game. Hell yeah!

Is Fatal Frame a joke to you!?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao, they published a lodoss war metroidvania earlier this year. that's amazing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Is Fatal Frame a joke to you!?

Too scared of ghosts to remember the camera element of those games

also drat I wish they'd be brought to PC

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Too scared of ghosts to remember the camera element of those games

also drat I wish they'd be brought to PC
You can emulate Crimson Butterfly fairly well, which is incidentally also the best game in the series.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

StrixNebulosa posted:

Umurangi Generation is out, and it's published by PLAYISM so you know it's going to be japanese and weird

I'd argue that Life is Strange counts. But that is mostly from a story perspective.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's fun. Missions are a bit of a treasure hunt of looking for specific items or groups of people, but most of it is the fun of trying to frame things in interesting ways, especially given the places the story goes. Playthrough is probably an hour or two, depending on if you are trying to get all the sub objectives. Definitely one of those Blendo kinda games.

Can definitely take neat pictures though.
https://twitter.com/Daedalus1134/status/1262957379701760000?s=20

Edit: Soundtrack is really good too.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 21, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy heck this game is way up my alley and it also runs playably (like 20fps) on my integrated graphics thinkpad. I really dig the world design. For whatever reason one of my dream games has always been basically this, but in a fully-rendered open world city with more or less the exact same setting.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Observation just had its Steam release. (In hindsight, I should've posted this in the Steam thread.)

Not to be confused with the grimdark cyberpunk detective game, Observer. Observation is grimdark space detective game. You play as an AI, observing from cameras and drones, trying to figure out what the hell happened to your broken space station and solving puzzles to open doors for needy humans, who want to breath and not be on fire. You know, typical human things.

I'm only about two hours in, but it's a pretty fun ride. I highly recommend it if you're into movies like Space Odyssey and Moon, and especially if you like playing the AI in Space Station 13. The story is presented really well, and the only thing that occasionally drags are the controls. The clunky controls feel intentional though. They get across the feeling that you're a disembodied observer throwing bits at the wall to see what sticks.

If you get the game, know that there's a glitched keybinding. You need to hit Backspace when it says press X.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Played Observation on PS4 and it's worthwhile. A few frustrating parts (mostly related to controls/navigation) but overall I had a good time with it and it was definitely a unique, atmospheric experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So this game Space Haven has been on my wishlist for a while and released in EA today.

It's a colony builder with pixel art graphics where you live in a spaceship that you build as you go, mine resources from asteroids with mining pod drones, fight off aliens, explore derelict space hulks with your away team, make sure your rooms are properly heated and supplied with power, grow artificial meat in labs, trade with errant traders, etc.

The graphics are really nice and it seems like it could go places. If you've played the Rimworld mod Save Our Ship/SOS you should feel right at home here

caveat emptor it's EA but I've been enjoying it