Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kanos posted:

It's not bad, but it's also not great. It does a really good job of translating Gears style combat(oohrah big beef hulkmans chainsawing monsters) to a turn based strategy game, and it has some really cool mechanical ideas, but it falls down because it's a completely linear campaign with little variance or reason for replay, the generic troops are utterly replaceable/forgettable, and the loot system loving sucks rear end(literally loot crates with random items with % bonuses to random poo poo bolted to them).

It's not a waste of money but it's pretty far down the list of turn based strategy games I'd spend AAA money on.

Thanks for the info, I probably won't get it rather than just reinstalling XCOM2. Probably the stuff I heard was intended like, "this is surprisingly decent given the genre change and origins" rather than just "this is great"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ms Adequate posted:

Thanks for the info, I probably won't get it rather than just reinstalling XCOM2. Probably the stuff I heard was intended like, "this is surprisingly decent given the genre change and origins" rather than just "this is great"
Yeah, that's pretty much the impression I also got from the way people have talking about it. Surprisingly good and mechanically solid for what it it is, just still not quite good enough to measure up to the standards set by games like X-COM or the Disgaea series.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gears is alright, the animations and solid mechanics are pretty meaty and translate the gears of war feel to the tactical game pretty well, but after half a dozen missions it definitely makes you feel that you could just be playing xcom2 instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a competently made game without the slightest hint of inspiration or creativity

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Christmas miracle: Omori is out

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

al-azad posted:

I bought this blind. I'm 6 hours in. This is amazing. It feels like a Next-Gen Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Squashy posted:

I bought this blind. I'm 6 hours in. This is amazing. It feels like a Next-Gen Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass

Okay okay, I'll buy it.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Squashy posted:

Picking this up on the assumption you're referring to the overall atmosphere and tone and not the grindiness

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

garfield hentai posted:

Picking this up on the assumption you're referring to the overall atmosphere and tone and not the grindiness

Not grindy at all. The story is stellar and it's tremendously polished. Great pacing. A game worth playing blind because it's full of surprises. I love the sound design

Squashy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 31, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you're looking for an XCOM-like, I can vouch for Phoenix Point: Year One edition being pretty good and fixing a lot of Phoenix Point's problems (including certain balance issues that could make your soldiers strong enough to wipe out the entire map on the first turn). It released early this month on Steam.

It's not a perfect game but it does a lot well and is different enough from XCOM to warrant a full playthrough from me recently and then immediately launching into another one - and I generally don't finish games at all much less restart them, so there's something to it. The DLCs (included in Year One Edition) are fairly solid as well and add a lot of content

Here's a pros/cons list completely independent of the original release and only considering the current state of the game:

Pros:
  • At its core it's a very similar game to X-Com UFO Defense
  • The free-aiming combat is a nice mechanical touch that makes combat feel distinctly different from other games in the genre (other than Valkyria Chronicles I guess - pretty much the same system here). You just need to know how to work it - if you want to disable an arm it's not always best to aim directly at the arm. 100% of your shots will land within the larger circle, 50% of your shots will land within the smaller circle. Treat it that way and it's pretty rad - if you expect to always hit what's directly under your crosshairs it will frustrate you. This also means that all projectiles have an actual trajectory and can hit unintended targets - it's not just a dice roll whether you hit or miss but each individual bullets travels a specific path and hits anything in that path.
  • Four different paths to take to the ending (three where you side with a specific faction, one where you go independent), and four different endings
  • Non-linear upgrade paths, you don't get multiple levels of "better" weapons and armor - you have weaker starting equipment but everything after that is on a fairly even playing field and fills different niches - so there's a lot more deliberation and choosing of the right equipment for the job instead of just using the highest numbers. Do you want to bring a neural sniper rifle to paralyze and capture enemies from afar, a laser sniper rifle with high accuracy and high damage that's chumped by armor, a gauss sniper rifle that's hard to aim but shreds armor? What about bringing a crossbow, or a poison crossbow instead, for a silent, low-AP option with less range? Why not two, or even three? Of course that leaves less room for a sidearm or a shield, etc. For your heavy do you want a high-RoF minigun that plinks off armor and shields, a gigantic low-accuracy explosive autocannon to take out hard targets at short range, a flamethrower with crazy short range but that absolutely clowns on things, or an acid cannon that shoots DoT-stacking acid blobs that ignore armor?
  • Very fast-paced for an XCOM-like. Tactical engagements are short and sweet, usually consisting of a small map and 5-10 enemies and only take 5-10 minutes to complete - I was worried about this going in but with the sheer volume of them I actually really like the pacing
  • A lot of the combat mechanics feel way better than anything in XCOM/XCOM 2 - like Overwatch for example. You set an overwatch 'zone' based on the character's perception, it can be resized and moved around. Do you want to overwatch the entire gap between these two pieces of cover so you shoot at anyone moving between them? Or do you maybe just want to overwatch the left side because there's a strong enemy over there and you don't want to waste your shot on something moving on the right side? You have control of exactly where soldiers direct their overwatch, as long as it is within their actual line of sight. No "pods", you aim freely from first person, terrain is destructible so you can blast down walls to get a better shot, etc.
  • Has a bit of an X-Com Apoc vibe where you can raid other factions, steal their tech, hamstring their energy generation, steal aircraft from them, etc.
  • Geoscape map is actually challenging, resource and time management is a big deal
  • Seven different classes that can be mixed and matched (2 per soldier) to create actual interesting combinations of skills. An Infiltrator/Technician can deploy a pack of suicide-bomber spider-bots then remote control them on the same turn to explore large portions of the map. A Heavy/Infiltrator can rocket jump next to an enemy, vanish behind them then bash them in the back of the skull with their autocannon for big sneak attack damage. A Priest/Assault can dash long distances to ping-pong around the map healing allies or mind-controlling aliens. This ties in really well to the weapon variety - a Flamethrower heavy probably wants /Assault so they can Dash twice and then fire the Flamethrower for 2 AP - Rocket Jump [Heavy's usual gap closer] costs 3 AP out of the 4 you get each turn so you can't rocket jump + flamethrower same turn.
  • Maybe it's just me but it feels like a WH40k space marine tactical game. Like, equipment and armor design wise, plus sheer destructive power of my soldiers (and sheer destructive power of high level enemies) - except you're Space Marines who can decide xenos are good and you want to mutate to be more like them, if you want.

Cons:
  • Lacking enemy variety. There are essentially five different alien enemies that come with different mutation configurations (virtually just different equipment/stats) plus a few boss/stationary defense types. You also face humans and cyborgs occasionally. I don't hate this as much as I thought but it could really use about 5-10 more classes of alien. (I think the next DLC will add more, hopefully). Right now about 90% of the aliens you face will be variations of two different enemy classes.
  • Armor/Damage balance very much favors single-shot high damage weapons in the second half of the game, which essentially eliminates PDWs (SMGs) and Assault Rifles and the Heavy's minigun from the viable weapons pool. Shotguns remain viable by the advanced shotgun being a single slug shot with absurd damage. This also tends to lead you toward stuffing as many Sniper Rifles into your lineup as your squad has proficiency for.
  • Base management sucks. You can literally build up to... 13-15ish bases. They get attacked by enemies and you're very, very unlikely to be able to staff and equip soldiers to defend them all.
  • Building up new squads is kind of a pain from a resource limitation standpoint. Resource management is a key part of the game and not "easy", and every new soldier is going to need both time and resources dedicated to manufacturing armor and weapons for them, etc.It took me three failed campaign starts to get the rhythm down.
  • Sometimes it throws way too many missions at you in a row. Like, you're really excited to finish some new research in the geoscape but suddenly there are three different faction bases being invaded that need help defending, plus two Pandoran Nests or Lairs or Citadels (that launched the invasions) which need to be destroyed, and also you still have a backlog of 4 story missions and one of them is timed - the missions themselves are short so it's not awful but it can feel like a slog at times where your 6-hour research takes you like an hour of real-life time to finish.
  • Similar to the last point, it almost never gives you any breathing room to sit and do nothing. You're constantly doing three things at once in a race against time. You only have until the Human population is wiped out (indicated by a bar on the UI unlocked by early research) and you need to complete a faction storyline (or the independent storyline) before the bar is empty.
  • While all of the egregiously overpowered soldier skills/combos have been balanced (rather well - e.g. Dash now costs 1 AP on top of its will cost and can only be used twice per turn, so it's still a strong mobility skill but can't be spammed to traverse the entire map on turn 1), there are still some super strong combos that you'll rely on a lot - like a Heavy spending 3 AP to rocket jump and their 4th AP to bash with an autocannon, or a Sniper dumping all their will points on one turn to stack Marked for Death 5 times on a big strong enemy so it can be downed in one shot. Infiltrators are a particularly strong class with everyone because they can spend 5 Will to vanish at any time which will give them bonus damage on their next shot, so a lot of players end up going /infiltrator on virtually every soldier - that kind of stuff.
  • New systems added by DLCs, like cybernetics for example, are kind of a pain to manage. With Cybernetics, you need to pay material costs (out of a very limited materials pool) after missions to repair damaged cybernetic body parts, and those are the same materials you use to do everything else in the game. Because of this they feel a bit tacked-on rather than organically integrated with the base game, like almost an entire extra layer of gameplay and resource management added on top of everything else
  • Has a very reverse-XCOM difficulty curve where your late-game A-Team members can and will go down like wet paper bags if they're put in bad circumstances and if you don't already have a replacement lined up, you may not be able to train one up in time. I like this personally because it adds pressure to hurry up and finish the game, makes me care about my A-List soldiers more, but it's a common complaint. Eventually you'll learn to be actively enlisting a B-Squad and even C-Squad members on missions with your A-Team to constantly be training up newbies. But overall Phoenix Point does not hold your hand and direct you toward victory like XCOM does - it is entirely possible to sink 15 hours into a campaign and then lose the wrong soldier to an errant grenade blowing up the floor under them and them falling into a fire you didn't even know was there, which starts a defeat spiral you can't get out of. :xcom:

Anyway I've been having a good time with it for my last 35 hours of playtime and it's not constantly screaming at me to play XCOM 2 instead so :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 31, 2020

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

How much of the campaign promises ended up in the final game? Eg all the stuff about how the enemies and bosses would mutate or there'd be some procedural generation involved with them

perc2
May 16, 2020

Does it do the character development aspect well? I love how invested you could get in WotC with the upgrades and synergies, or even vanilla - but the Chosen mechanic completely ruined the game for me :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

How much of the campaign promises ended up in the final game? Eg all the stuff about how the enemies and bosses would mutate or there'd be some procedural generation involved with them

That's not there at all, which is the most disappointing part of the game IMO.

In effect there are two "main" alien types - Tritons and Arthrons. Each one of those has maybe 15-20 variations, which are in effect mostly upgraded loadouts - generally stronger armor/shields/guns (of the same type), higher stats, and occasionally a different type of weapon, like higher tier Arthrons have grenade launchers pretty often, and slightly beefier/scarier models. The variations are time-gated and not at all reactionary to the methods you use to kill them - but the better you're doing, the earlier the higher level variants show up (similar to xcom's aliens sending in new alien types at certain thresholds). Some variants of Triton use guns, some are snipers, some are melee, some are stealth. Some variations of Arthron carry shields and use melee attacks, some use guns.

There's virtually no difference in the variations other than how good they are/how much damage their gun does/etc. -

Then you have Worms (3 variations, chaff popcorn enemies that are often spawned by certain other enemy types), Mindfraggers (just one variation, they're facehuggers from Alien). These don't change much but they're never the primary enemies in a map.

Then there are Sirens and Chirons - these are like miniboss-level enemies, and toward the later game you will start having 1 or more show up in most alien missions. They have about 5 variants of Siren and 10ish of Chiron, but again they're mostly just statistical improvements over lower tier variations, or the same thing but using a different element.

And finally there are Scyllas which are big boss enemies, there are... I think maybe 3-4 variants of them? But again, mostly the same with different amounts of stats. They show up in Citadel Attack missions and occasionally in other missions.

The combat is fun enough that it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but it is getting a bit tiring on the second playthrough.

Edit from the future, since I can grab screenshots now:

The first 1-3 missions you do will be against worms and humans (there are lore reasons for this). After you do the worms mission you're introduced to the first 2 variants of Athrons:

The Athron Brute, who has a shield, spits poison, and will try to claw you with its pincer arm

And the Athron Shieldbearer, who has a shield, is heavier armored, moves slower, doesn't spit poison, and will try to claw you with its pincer arm.

Every new variant of Athron for the rest of the game is one of those two archetypes with increasingly better shields/armor/guns (the Athron Brute line gets a machine gun arm soon enough) and occasionally new passive abilities, or a grenade launcher. There are some with a Claw + Gun but no shield as well

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 31, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

perc2 posted:

Does it do the character development aspect well? I love how invested you could get in WotC with the upgrades and synergies, or even vanilla - but the Chosen mechanic completely ruined the game for me :(

Okay so this is a part of the game I really like!

There are seven classes (3 base classes available at the start, 4 advanced classes that can be learned from NPC factions), and each class has six skills which can be learned at level 1-3 and 5-7 respectively. Every class has the same skill available at level 4, which is Multiclass - it lets you choose a second class for that soldier.

Each character has character-specific SP which can be spent on learning skills OR on raising the three main attributes (Strength, Will, and Speed). These points are earned from leveling up as well as from every completed mission - so you're getting points to spend on customizing your characters even when they're not literally ranking up to the next level, as long as they're active in missions. Each mission also gives you a small amount of Phoenix SP which are the same thing but can be spent on any character.

There's a lot of diversity and cool combos available by combining different classes and most combinations have at least some kind of synergy to them. Also none of the classes are railroaded into anything in particular - for example Berserker is the only class that naturally has melee weapon proficiency, but their skills all function regardless of weapon type used. You can absolutely make a Sniper/Priest into a melee character without crippling them (but don't, because melee weapons are bad. The best melee weapon is bashing someone with an autocannon)

THEN each character has 2-3 random innate skills that can be learned - these are more generic like proficiency with certain weapon types, higher accuracy at the cost of lower damage, higher carry weight, etc. A lot of recruiting comes down to scouting for recruits with the right combos of innate skills.

Then to go even further, each character has 3 armor slots (head, torso, and legs) - you can choose to forego use of up to 2 of these armor slots (per soldier) by either mutating a body part (tech learned from factions that requires capturing live aliens to convert into mutagen), or installing a cybernetic bodypart (tech learned from a DLC that requires large amounts of materials you need for everything else you do). There are 3 cybernetic parts available for each armor slot and they do things like adding a rocket jump ability, providing night vision and silencing weapons, not triggering overwatch fire, etc. Mutations I haven't messed with yet but I assume it's a similar setup of 3 variants for each armor slot. You can have a mutation and a cybernetic on the same soldier if you want.
(There are also separate mutated heads available exclusively to the Priest class)

And finally loadout-wise in addition to your carried equipment and your armor/cybernetics/mutations, each of the 3 armor slots has a "mod" slot that can be used if you're wearing regular armor or a cybernetic part, these can be freely added and removed at any time after you manufacture them but they add even more flavor variety like a helmet sensor that reveals nearby units, or a helmet mod that lets you devour Mist spawned by the enemy to restore Will Points (basically mana for using skills), or a torso mod to reduce explosion damage.

I'm a sucker for (mechanical) character development and customization in tactical games and it's the thing that first hooked me on PP

Edit:

Some of my surviving soldiers in my first victory save included:

An Infiltrator/Technician with cyborg legs to avoid overwatch fire. Stealthed around the battlefield healing other soldiers, assembling spiderbots, and shooting with a poison crossbow

An Infiltrator/Heavy who used a jetpack on their big football player armor to get on rooftops then vanished and waited for the right time to pop an alien in the head with a big fuckoff crossbow

Multiple Heavy/Assaults with jetpacks and shotguns

A Heavy/Berzerker who cashed in on the Berzerker's AP-manipulating abilities to shoot 5 times per round with an acid cannon to melt Scyllas

A Priest/Infiltrator who used spiderbots to explore the map early on, then snuck around to panic and mind control high value targets

Some boring but effective stealth snipers with cyborg night vision/silencer heads

And a Sniper/Berserker who could kill anything in one turn by stacking a damage-taken-increasing debuff on it (Probably a bug that it's stackable, or will be nerfed in the next major patch I'm sure) then taking up to 3 Sniper shots.

The only characters I ever made that didn't feel useful were ones focused entirely on shooting with pistols - pistols don't make a good primary weapon, but they're a fine sidearm for a character that doesn't focus on shooting, or a sniper/heavy who will have 1AP leftover after shooting with their primary gun.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 1, 2021

perc2
May 16, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay so this is a part of the game I really like!

Immediately wishlisted, thankyou!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I haven’t played this, but a good friend of mine backed it at the start, and has played it through four times(!). He’s been pitching it to me as the best game ever made, so I appreciate your ‘cons’ section a lot, thanks!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
how is the aiming each soldier's gun gimmick?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

how is the aiming each soldier's gun gimmick?

It's nothing groundbreaking but it does make combat feel more engaging and there are ways to use it to do things that wouldn't be possible in XCOM - like using an autocannon's 3 round burst to knock down a wall on the first shot and hit an enemy behind it with the other two, or disabling specific body parts where you as the player have some agency in whether the bodypart gets disabled or not. It prevents cases where a point blank shot doesn't hit the enemy. There are some times in XCOM where I just don't understand why a soldier doesn't have LOS of an enemy and being able to pop into first person to see exactly what a soldier's LOS is makes it a lot more sensible and intuitive

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've veen playing for a while and feel like I can handle combat but I don't know what to do or prioritise on the Geoscape all that well. I dunno if it's worth stealing aircraft and tech, or if raiding factions for each other is worth it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its older now but while xcom like games are being talked about Troubleshooter is amazing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've veen playing for a while and feel like I can handle combat but I don't know what to do or prioritise on the Geoscape all that well. I dunno if it's worth stealing aircraft and tech, or if raiding factions for each other is worth it.

The main goal of the game is to progress through the story missions/objectives in the top left, but on top of that:

Stealing aircraft is 100% worth it and better than building them (Steal from Disciples for an 8-capacity but slow zeppelin, steal from Synedrion for a very fast aircraft but with 5 soldier slots - also keep in mind you can fly 2 of any aircraft to a mission site in order to use 8 soldiers)

Raiding factions is also worth it and is a great source of resources.

Click the Diplomacy screen and do some diplomacy missions for the factions - at 25% support (and completing the mission you get then) you can see all of that faction's havens, at 50% support they give you all of their research (instant + free), at 75% support you unlock their faction tech tree and can research anything they haven't completed yourself.

You can keep all three happy while raiding them all occasionally, you just take a small-ish rep hit, so don't worry about it too much. Ultimately they all realize that it's an apocalyptic end-of-the-world scenario and you're going to do what you need to do, even if it means attacking/stealing from them.

For the most part you play actively against the factions and reactively against the pandorans - you can go raid a faction at any time but pandorans need to reveal themselves to you first

Always be doing something. Scanning sites (you only need 1 soldier in an aircraft to scan), story missions, raids, whatever.
Get a second squad up and running as soon as you can handle the material costs (keep in mind Phoenix Project recruits come with no starting armor/weapons and they need to be manufactured) and start flying them around to missions and raids too. Mix up soldiers on missions as much as possible so they're all earning SP from partaking in missions.

Activate a few other bases when you can handle the cost for radar coverage.

Some useful faction techs (from either raiding or hitting 50% support):
Disciples of Anu food production (only way in the game to generate a resource on your own, and you can trade the food for other resources)
Synedrion mist repeller (this might only come from a quest when they support you? I'm not sure if you can steal it but you probably can)
Advanced classes (each faction has one, Disciples have two)
Synedrion vehicle (it's a hovertank that can do good damage, or heal and transport your units around the map)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 1, 2021

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its older now but while xcom like games are being talked about Troubleshooter is amazing.

Hardest of vouches for this one. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children can best be described as 'what if the Trails series had a child with Yakuza and the kid decided to do things the XCOM way?'. I've never seen a game execute a 'hero-based squad tactics' setup so brilliantly. It really feels like a game from another age because it's clearly done by a very small team and yet so wildly ambitious, and GOOD at executing its ambitions, that it takes me back to the times when it felt like every new game was pushing boundaries in some way. The only knock is that it was originallly machine-translated from korean beefore the community helped make it sound more natural in english, and traces of that clunk are still there, especially at the start, but it truly is worth every penny. If anyone likes tactics games or games with a great story and an extremely likable cast of characters, you can't go wrong with this one.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Transient People posted:

Hardest of vouches for this one. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children can best be described as 'what if the Trails series had a child with Yakuza and the kid decided to do things the XCOM way?'. I've never seen a game execute a 'hero-based squad tactics' setup so brilliantly. It really feels like a game from another age because it's clearly done by a very small team and yet so wildly ambitious, and GOOD at executing its ambitions, that it takes me back to the times when it felt like every new game was pushing boundaries in some way. The only knock is that it was originallly machine-translated from korean beefore the community helped make it sound more natural in english, and traces of that clunk are still there, especially at the start, but it truly is worth every penny. If anyone likes tactics games or games with a great story and an extremely likable cast of characters, you can't go wrong with this one.

Dissenting opinion: I love new XCOM, but bounced off of Troubleshooter after a few hours. It has most of the right ingredients, but I didn't think the final product came out all that great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It might be the greatest video game ever made

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Irene is an incredible character.

"Villain."
"I think they're a villain."
"Sounds like something a villain would say."
"DEFINITELY a villain!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ms Adequate posted:

Irene is an incredible character.

"Villain."
"I think they're a villain."
"Sounds like something a villain would say."
"DEFINITELY a villain!"

She owns so much.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

al-azad posted:

How would you describe the horror in this? Is it jump scare variety? Creepy? Left to imagination? Or is it more of a "horror theme but the game doesn't viscerally drag you through it"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Surreal psych horror. More unsettling and anxiety building.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Dissenting opinion: I love new XCOM, but bounced off of Troubleshooter after a few hours. It has most of the right ingredients, but I didn't think the final product came out all that great.

The first few hours limit your options a lot so it doesn't surprise me. You only have two characters for a while and a bunch of generics you can't grow, and I think it's largely because the game understands deeply that it's extremely complex and is trying to not totally overwhelm the player. Once you get your third man though, the fourth quickly follows and suddenly the depths of its systems become explorable. It's fair to warn people about it. I do think it's a game that grows intensely with each hour you put into it, which is another point of similarity with trails. What starts fairly tamely and with a rough translation had me wishing I was playing a game that was twice as long by the end, which is not common praise for me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ive heard it keeps throwing new systems at you like the whole game, which sounds kinda neat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, you get some really major stuff like the ability to manufacture mechanical drones as late as like the final fifth of the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvKEKD3eo2Y

I don't know if any of us are cool enough for Cruelty Squad

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
According to the steam reviews its actually a good game but the game trailer is giving off shooter manifesto vibes.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
My concern is the selection of reviewers who chose to purchase the game might be pretty skewed? Makes it so hard to tell what’s up.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This feels almost like a thecatamites game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

That Guy Bob posted:

According to the steam reviews its actually a good game but the game trailer is giving off shooter manifesto vibes.

drat, you'd think after the millions of people that were killed in the wake of Joker (2019) people would be more responsible.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phasmophobia. Do...we already have a thread?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Phasmophobia. Do...we already have a thread?
yep

which i wouldn't have found without today's fresh new hotness, the Great Games Index and New Thread Notification...Thread

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Biomass
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138960/Biomass/

I just found this, and I'm really glad I did.

It's got some definite rough edges and some annoying design decisions, but man the atmosphere is so, so good.

If you love dark scifi, you need to check this game out. Like Axiom Verge, Biomega, Akira, Prey, and other trippy weird rear end scifi worlds.

Gameplay wise it's tHe dArK SOuls of 2d metroidvania. Or something. The control is tight enough, but very fast and lethal, and with some very uneven difficulty.

Exploration is only moderately interesting in terms of movement, though you do gain access to new tools that open up new routes as you play.

Atmospherically though, drat this game nails it. Moody, brooding music, excellently done lowfi graphics with some really beautiful vistas, and storytelling delivered as much in the environments as the bits you piece together from dialogue with scarce talkative npcs.

Structurally the game is unusual, you're only going to see part of the world and part of the story on your first playthrough, by design. If you want to see more, you need to play more, sort of like Nier: Automata.

I can't recommend this to everyone because the rough edges are pretty rough, and the pacing isn't perfect, but if this specific subgenre is your jam, you'll probably love almost every minute of discovery in spite of the annoyances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I really like metroidvanias in general, but I've been a bit disappointed by some of the releases we've been getting on PC recently, so I would appreciate it if you maybe go into a bit more detail about what the gameplay is like? Impressive vistas and good atmosphere are already a good start, but what does the game play like mechanically? Does it anything special or unique? Any particular gimmicks? Basically, I'd like to know what kind of cool things it allows you to do and how well it keeps up with giving you new abilities and mechanics to play with as you progress through the game. One thing I always find very disappointing in a game like that is when it frontloads all its mechanics and then basically turns into a jump'n'run game for the rest of its playtime.